Recreating Rafa Benitez' Liverpool 08-09..

Hi everyone,

Has anyone managed to create a successful replica of Rafa Benitez' Liverpool 2008-2009 (when they came 2nd in the PL and scored the most goals)?

I know Cleon on here is fantastic at recreating tactics and wondered if him or anybody else has a tactic like this?

That is the exact type of football I want my team to play. Very strong in defence but also very dangerous in the final third.

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to reply.

Kind regards,

Matt

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Premier_League#League_table

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Liverpool_F.C._season

That is the exact type of football I want my team to play. Very strong in defence but also very dangerous in the final third.

I think this is pretty much everyone's dream :p

I would use a 4-2-3-1 with deep DMC's. He used Mascherano and Alonso deep when out of possession at least. Masch as an anchor maybe and Alonso as a regista/dlp(s). He had Riise going more forward from his LB than Arbeloa on the RB, but that could be down to Riise being gung ho(ppms). Agger as BPD and Carra as DC(d).

Gerrard as maybe a SS? He scored heaps that season. At least a duty that gets him into the area. Torres as CF. The two wide players I'm not sure about, as he often swapped those positions, except maybe Kuyt as a raumdeuter.

The primary goalscorer may be torres but that doesn't mean that Gerrard didn't score a lot too. I see Gerrard as a SS as well. Torres was more or less a CF linking up with Gerrard.

I would think that the shape was more of a 4-4-1-1 FM wise that turned into a 4-2-3-1 in attack.

Alonso and Mascherano prolly a REG and A respectively and then Riera was an out-and-out winger (W (a) w/ Roam From Position PI) and then Kuyt was a DW.

Mentality and Strategy is a tough one, tho.

Guest El Payaso
The primary goalscorer may be torres but that doesn't mean that Gerrard didn't score a lot too. I see Gerrard as a SS as well. Torres was more or less a CF linking up with Gerrard.
Might be or might be not. AM(A) though does the same job for me. I think that SS is too much of a finisher instead of creator and with Torres and Gerrard Torres was the finisher and Gerrard the provider although because of Gerrard's ability he scored a lot. With AM(A) you can tick the move into channels and even without any PIs the player does regularly get inside the area to finish off moves. Both will probably work well.

I am currently doing this with Everton.

SK: Valdes

WB(s): Baines

CD(D): Shawcross / Manolas

BPD(D): Stones

FB(S): Holgate

DM(D): Besic/McCarthy

RG(S): Ledson

DW(S): Coleman

WM(A): Deulofeu

AM(A): Barkley

CF(S): Lukaku

WIP really as I have so many tactics I use. Like to variate between opponents. This really isn't the best working one so far. Hard to get players rush forward and defensively it seems a bit vulnerable even with two DMs.

I think I finished up with Gerrard as an AM(S) with GFF in my save.

Would be interesting to look at it again now the game has moved on. Formation is probably a 4-4-1-1, but with 2 DM's and 2 WM's.

Archived