Guus Hiddink Got Me Thinking

I was reading through the Sky Sports Transfer Ticker for anything relating to Chelsea, ins outs, whatever, and a comment by Guus Hiddink stood out to me :

On new deals for Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Branislav Ivanovic: "I’m aware that the club is talking."

So from this comment it looks like contract negotiations are handled by the club completely and have minimal if any input from the manager. Now this may be the way it always is or just as he in an interim manager at The Bridge for a 'cover' period.

Old school managers like Alex Ferguson are a dying breed in the modern era of football with a lot now being officially titled Head Coaches not Managers so I was thinking how would you set this up in FM16 so that you the 'Manager' are really only 'responsible' for the tactical side of the job and all the background stuff is handled for you?

Hoping some of your guys have some views and opinions

Would you have the DoF or Chief Scout finding players? The DoF negotiating contracts for new and existing players? Chairman confirming all deals? HoYD mimicking the DoF for everything youth related? Use or not use the 'Add Transfer Target' option?

Dying bread :D

Can you class toast as dying bread? These are the questions that must be answered.

But away from ruthlessly kicking the guy over a small spelling mistake, a lot of the actual management structure ins and outs probably aren't available to the average punter. You might get an insight, like what Hiddink said, but it probably isn't the whole story. But then you can probably also say with some certainty that the model of the manager doing everything (ala FM) is probably on its way out. Still though, phasing it out in FM would be a bad move in my opinion - by all means have toggleable options where a Director of Football comes in over the managers head, but don't make it the norm.

In personal terms, I usually flitted between being fully responsible for everything and farming out a couple of duties. I went through a spell of letting my DoF find players and negotiate bids, but kept the final say of confirming transfers at my desk so I could veto anything (and I had to veto a lot). A lot of the time I delegated contract renewals, because players often slipped through the cracks, but then I found him renewing players I didn't want to keep. I very rarely handle any scouting myself, beyond a few targeted players that I pass on to my staff.

Can you class toast as dying bread? These are the questions that must be answered.

But away from ruthlessly kicking the guy over a small spelling mistake, a lot of the actual management structure ins and outs probably aren't available to the average punter. You might get an insight, like what Hiddink said, but it probably isn't the whole story. But then you can probably also say with some certainty that the model of the manager doing everything (ala FM) is probably on its way out. Still though, phasing it out in FM would be a bad move in my opinion - by all means have toggleable options where a Director of Football comes in over the managers head, but don't make it the norm.

In personal terms, I usually flitted between being fully responsible for everything and farming out a couple of duties. I went through a spell of letting my DoF find players and negotiate bids, but kept the final say of confirming transfers at my desk so I could veto anything (and I had to veto a lot). A lot of the time I delegated contract renewals, because players often slipped through the cracks, but then I found him renewing players I didn't want to keep. I very rarely handle any scouting myself, beyond a few targeted players that I pass on to my staff.

Agree with this - the current system of allowing you to do as little or as much as you want is perfect. Those who want full control get it and those who want to be a head coach can also do that. Next time I play I might try a head coach type game for a bit of fun.

On FM, I am a dark rye bread and feeling well and behaving like lots a breads did for decades. But I think it's great that everybody can play it to his liking.

Being from outside the UK, I'm used to the coach - DOF system irl. As the tasks for a coach have become increasingly complex, they cannot deal with transfers in details already as a mere matter of time. However, decisions are usually not made above their heads as any money spent onb a player who is not wanted by the coach is money wasted.

In the Chelsea situation I think it's only natural that a manager who is there only for 6 months will not deal with this. It mus be the club taking the decisions here. But likely he'll have given his own opinion on the guys, for how much ever it matters in the club's decision-making.

I must check my spelling more thoroughly next time :)

I totally agree that FM should stay how it is and offer total control, it was how would you guys set up the 'Responsibilities' options in FM16 to mimic how seemingly little control someone like Guus has these days as I thought it might be a fun change of pace as a way of playing the game and could throw up some interesting circumstances.

Right so far I have the following as my set up :

Hires/fires DoF : Chairman

Hires/fires HoYD : Chairman (would this be more suited to the DoF)

Hires/fires Chief Scout : Chairman (would this be more suited to the DoF)

Hires/fires First Team Assistant : Manager

Hires/fires : Coaching Staff : DoF (would this be more suited to the Manager)

Hires/fires : Non-Coaching Staff : DoF (would this be more suited to the Manager)

Finds and makes offers for first team players : DoF

Finds and makes offers for first team players : HoYD

Handles new signing contracts First Team : DoF

Handles new signing contracts Youth Team : HoYD

Finalises First Team Signings : Chairman (?)

Finalises Young Players : Chairman (?)

Handles/Finalises incoming offers First Team : DoF

Handles/Finalises incoming offers Youth Team : HoYD

Offers First Team players out : DoF

Offers Youth Team players out : HoYD

Contract Renewals First Team : DoF

Contract Renewals Youth Team : HoYD

Contract Renewals for DoF : Chairman

Contract Renewals other Staff : DoF

Any opinions welcome

Archived