It can have its positives and negatives... Ultimately it comes down whether your second string 11 can do the job or not. Its not just the quality of the players you need to take into account, but also their fitness levels, match sharpness and also their levels of team cohesion and how used they are to playing alongside each other with the tactics you have chosen.

I recently played an entire second string 11 in my mid-table premier league side against a league 1 Bradford side in the first round of the league cup and lost even though the quality of my palyers were better.... but too many of them weren´t match sharp, nor were used to the tactics or had a high team cohesion as the 11 included a fair few new transfers.

I recently played an entire second string 11 in my mid-table premier league side against a league 1 Bradford side in the first round of the league cup and lost even though the quality of my palyers were better.... but too many of them weren´t match sharp, nor were used to the tactics or had a high team cohesion as the 11 included a fair few new transfers.

You obviously havent seen us in the real life cups lol

It can have its positives and negatives... Ultimately it comes down whether your second string 11 can do the job or not. Its not just the quality of the players you need to take into account, but also their fitness levels, match sharpness and also their levels of team cohesion and how used they are to playing alongside each other with the tactics you have chosen.

In real life, yes, but I highly doubt the game is developed that deep. Tactical familiarity and team cohesion is throughout the entire club. So, if your team's tactic is fully fluid, then it is that way for everyone on the first team. You don't lose any fluidity when you bring someone off the bench. He received the same match training in the game as all the others. The same with cohesion. In real life, yes all that you mentioned is true, but remember that this is not complete real life. So, in regards to FM, you just need to focus on match sharpness and fitness levels, and of course their overall ability to play that role when playing a sub in cup matches.

In real life, yes, but I highly doubt the game is developed that deep. Tactical familiarity and team cohesion is throughout the entire club. So, if your team's tactic is fully fluid, then it is that way for everyone on the first team. You don't lose any fluidity when you bring someone off the bench. He received the same match training in the game as all the others. The same with cohesion. In real life, yes all that you mentioned is true, but remember that this is not complete real life. So, in regards to FM, you just need to focus on match sharpness and fitness levels, and of course their overall ability to play that role when playing a sub in cup matches.

I don´t know.... I´m not disagreeing with you, but I don´t know. It would be really nice to know the official answer from SI on whether team cohesion is affected by changing starting 11s and so on.

I don´t know.... I´m not disagreeing with you, but I don´t know. It would be really nice to know the official answer from SI on whether team cohesion is affected by changing starting 11s and so on.

Ya, I hope you are right, but I don't know. People have to remember that this is still a game and cannot come anywhere close to completely mimicking real life. There are a lot of things that cannot be programmed into the game.

Whilst I can't pretend to know the answer in terms of the coding, I've had many league cup exits as prem teams that would suggest the opposite of what you are saying, where my fairly talented youths played like they'd never met each other before.

Whilst I can't pretend to know the answer in terms of the coding, I've had many league cup exits as prem teams that would suggest the opposite of what you are saying, where my fairly talented youths played like they'd never met each other before.

I hope that realism is in the game, but so far from my experience it is not. As long as my guy has been training in first team for an X amount of time for the team cohession to go back to a high amount, he has had no problem on the pitch as long has he is at match fitness and neither do his teammates. So, from my experience it looks like team cohession has to do with your entire first team club and not your starting 11. Now, if that guy you are bring onto the pitch has not been with the club for an X amount of time, then ya that will suffer due to team cohesion. But say you have 22 guys on your first team: First string 11 and Second string 11. Team cohesion is at a high level. So, that means it is for all 22, not just the starting 11. So hypothetically you 9th match is a cup vs an inferior team that you want to rest your entire first string starting 11 and start your 2nd string 11, and this is the first time these guys were all on the pitch at the same time, there is no penalty for that. Their team cohesion does not take a hit because i believe team cohesion is at the first team level and not the starting 11 level. So really, that 2nd strings 11 performance comes down to match fintess, ability and how that players ability fits your scheme. Yes, in real life there are so many factors, like actual cohesion, but the game can't go that deep to mimic that. That's how i think it is. I could be wrong. I hope I am wrong, but even as amazing as FM is, I really can't see them getting that deep into the coding of realism. Maybe somewhere deep in the code it logs minutes between 2 players and then when there is a starting 11, there is a minute log of play 1 compared to player 2, player 3, etc?? And then there is an algorithm and when those minutes don't meet a certain level, performance is penalized? Idk, but I can't see it getting more realistic than that.

I am not sure, but isn't that more to do with the age of the team rather than team cohesion.

Archived