Multiple Tactics

Afternoon,

This is my first post so apologies if it's in the wrong place. I was just wondering if most other people operate with different tactics depending on the situation (e.g. Playing away, formation facing, stronger teams) or if people just tend to stick with something that is working?

A few FMs ago it seemed as if everyone in here was moving in a direction of being very reactive and completely switching everything, or at least having a few slightly different versions depending on how strong the opponent is and which are their weaknesses/advantages; but lately it seems as if it's more popular to set your own playing style and imposing it regardless of the opposition. Seems it comes and goes as if it's some fashion trend or something. :D There's no absolute right or wrong on this.

I personally use different tactics for different situations. Learnt I couldn't press all game, so needed alternatives. I make sure I can use all the same staff, and will change regularly through the game.

Base 4231 - attacking pressing football - use it at home (0-30m and 45-75) or as the opposition tire in away matches

4411 - Contain defense, protects the wings, counter by attacking space behind full backs - use against tougher teams and away

Flat 433 - possession based, wider, full backs get further forward - use only against weaker or heavily organized defences

Found in the 4231 the wings were a bit exposed, so developed 4411 specifically to counter that.

I guess the way I do I means that you have to have quality around players with good fitness, tactical and attacking training.

In all previous years I've had one main tactic, which just changed between counter and attacking depending on who I was playing, or how well I was doing.

This year though, i've got two main tactics, home and away.

A 3-3-2-2 counter attacking away from home, focusing on early crosses from fullbacks to the two men up front.

A 4-1-4-1 control for home games or against weaker sides, focusing on holding the ball, spreading it from side to side and getting players forwards and into the box.

The combination seems to work quite well for the players I've got, everyone gets plenty of game time.

I have started a system of tactics which almost seems like cheating so I am wondering whether to continue with it. I have two scouts - one set to scouting the next opposition the other to my opponent but one so each team gets scouted twice. I then look at my opponents recent record and more importantly their defeats.

For example, as AFC Wimbledon, I was playing Barnet at home. A look at their results showed me they lost their last two away matches to teams playing 4-2-3(wide) - 1. So I played that with an attacking mentality and after 70 minutes was 4-0 up and cruising.

I have always felt that teams are mid-table as they play the same formation and don't have special players to overcome this. Sometimes your established formation will work and others it will not. Depends on the team you are playing.

I have started a system of tactics which almost seems like cheating so I am wondering whether to continue with it. I have two scouts - one set to scouting the next opposition the other to my opponent but one so each team gets scouted twice. I then look at my opponents recent record and more importantly their defeats.

For example, as AFC Wimbledon, I was playing Barnet at home. A look at their results showed me they lost their last two away matches to teams playing 4-2-3(wide) - 1. So I played that with an attacking mentality and after 70 minutes was 4-0 up and cruising.

I have always felt that teams are mid-table as they play the same formation and don't have special players to overcome this. Sometimes your established formation will work and others it will not. Depends on the team you are playing.

That's what happens IRL Teams will have the opposition watched more than once, send scouts and most managers will watch the opposition too.

Archived