FM16: Athletic Bilbao - No puede comprar un trofeo

Guest El Payaso

No idea what happened, but after a few months of being transfer listed(by request), Laporte asked to be removed from the list and would finally consider a deal. Which is great as Inigo Martinez was pinched by Arsenal..... He's not playing for them much though, so one to keep an eye on.

Anyway, on to the important part, cost the club a fair bit, but we're in a very strong position with Laporte now.

cf37593306098380a703975ff03ae239.png

8c7422926c0d62336004fd3e3e6ebdb4.png

The club have about 50m in the bank and won't let me have a sniff, so whatever, I don't mind spending a lot on such a key part of the team both present and future.

Honestly 100k a week for Laporte isn't bad at all. It's good that you've been able to tie him down!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly 100k a week for Laporte isn't bad at all. It's good that you've been able to tie him down!

I'd have paid whatever he wanted, to be honest, I'm just thinking relatively speaking, he's 10% of the entire clubs wage bill.

Turns out Arsenal aren't playing Martinez, 3 games by Dec, so he's interested in another move, hopefully he puts in a transfer request, as they're asking way too much money right now(50-70m, IIRC).

The board finally sorted me out too, randomly kicking 30m into my transfer budget, just gotta hope some of my targets become available.

I'd have paid whatever he wanted, to be honest, I'm just thinking relatively speaking, he's 10% of the entire clubs wage bill.

Turns out Arsenal aren't playing Martinez, 3 games by Dec, so he's interested in another move, hopefully he puts in a transfer request, as they're asking way too much money right now(50-70m, IIRC).

The board finally sorted me out too, randomly kicking 30m into my transfer budget, just gotta hope some of my targets become available.

Nice! I ended up getting Inigo Martinez from Chelsea in basically the same situation. Think I paid around 20 million in the end, but him and Laporte can be your centre backs for years so it's well worth it.

Ended up winning the CL in the 2nd season, got Schalke in the first round, who I'd handled easily in the Europa the season before, after that it was a run of Spanish clubs, Atletico, Real, Barca, all of whom I'd had their number.

In the summer I stretched the clubs finances to the limit, and landed both Inigo Martinez, and Cesar Azpilicueta. I was getting 4-10 bids a day every day for players in the B team which drove me crackers.

Ended up winning the CL in the 2nd season, got Schalke in the first round, who I'd handled easily in the Europa the season before, after that it was a run of Spanish clubs, Atletico, Real, Barca, all of whom I'd had their number.

In the summer I stretched the clubs finances to the limit, and landed both Inigo Martinez, and Cesar Azpilicueta. I was getting 4-10 bids a day every day for players in the B team which drove me crackers.

:lol: Welcome to the joys of under 21 loan offers! With Bilbao I really try to cultivate full squads in the u-19s, Bilbao and Baskonia squads and it becomes ridiculous. I hand all responsibilities to Baskonia off to their manager as that largely becomes a dumping ground for players who might be squad players for Bilbao when they're over 20. Bilbao I handle myself but it gets ridiculous along with the u-19 players getting loan offers constantly. Not really found a way around it as I don't want to give the responsibility to the Bilbao manager.

Azpilicueta and Martinez are great signings. You just have to accept with Athletic that you're going to overspend sometimes, as any opportunity to pick those players up is worth taking advantage of!

I think it was about 50m for Azpilicueta.

Worth it though as he can't be that old in your save, 27 or just 28 maybe? I think I picked him up for 35-40 and it was definitely a bit later than the end of the second season. I seem to remember him being 29 for some reason. At 27/28 you could potentially get 6 or 7 seasons out of him as a first choice RB. Combined with Laporte and Martinez you've got a world class back line for years. That makes me jealous as I'm in 2029 and my defense is horrific :eek:

First up - Aupa Ahtletic! Good win vs Celta today meaning top 6 is all tied up! Hopefully a few more wins to finish the season to get 5th place and straight into the Europa League group stage!

Secondly, a little career update from me!

2028/2029 season -

Champions League winners - An incredible run saw us win the Champions League for a second time. In the quarter final, we lost the first leg at AC Milan 2-0, then stormed back and won the home leg 3-0! In the semi final, once again I thought it was all over after the first leg, losing 2-0 away to Man Utd. Then we smashed them 4-0 at San Mames to reach the final! Both the quarter and semi was an absolute rollercoaster of emotions. We won a tense final 1-0 against PSG with a goal in the 70th minute...a 1-0 is a rarity for us but was very happy to have it this time!

La Liga runners up - (Real Madrid won their last 25 games in a row to win the title by 9 points). We finished on 93 points so pleased with our efforts, Real are just too strong for us at the moment, but we were a bit closer than last season at least.

Copa Del Rey - Eliminated by Barca in the 5th round, they scored in the 92nd minute at San Mames in the second leg to go through on away goals. It was a shame as I was using my youngsters in the competition, so it meant a few less games for them.

Overall it was a great fun season!

We have a few slightly better defenders coming through the ranks, but they're not world beaters. Hopefully in a season or two they should become first team players though and we will have a slightly stronger back line than we do right now. (right now we a goalkeeper/midfield/attack of 3 1/2 star or better players, including 5 gold star central midfielder, but a defence of 2 and 2.5 star players.

Overall this save has been the toughest Bilbao save I've had in years and years of FM because I put it on a small database size. That means Sociedad, Osasuna and the other basque clubs who I'm relying on for players only get 2-3 youth players in their intakes each season. It's made it difficult to get enough really top class Basque youngsters, so if anyone wants a real long term challenge with Bilbao I would recommend giving this set up a bash (only players of Basque nationality regardless of age, so no Spanish 16 year olds without Basque nationality, combined with a small database size).

I've started the 2029/30 season now and we're off to a good start. Hoping to keep pace with Real this season but they've won their first 5 games with a +20 goal difference so could definitely be tough. We've had some tough fixtures though and we've got through them with victories so hopefully we can keep it up.

Well done on that CL, especially those turnarounds.

Cheers! Honestly I'd almost written off the quarter final second leg but we smashed the second leg. Then against even tougher opposition in the semi, I really didn't think we could do it. United have an awesome attack and I didn't think we would keep them out. In the first leg they played a 4-4-2 and we always seem to struggle against a direct 4-4-2, but in the second leg they played a 4-4-1-1 with 2 DM's, and I knew we could take advantage of that formation as we normally do well against it.

Has anyone managed to keep Laporte on the winter update? If so how?!

Also what is the best role to train Asier Villalibre up into? Naturally he is a target man but as he is only 6ft I dont believe this is his best role. Suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
How have people kept Laporte on the winter update? Always wants to leave me.

Suggestions on the best role to train up asier villalibre?

I offered Laporte a new contract the first day I took charge, therefore increasing his release clause. Bids came in for him but I just rejected them, he wasn't happy but as long as you're doing well in the league he'll soon drop that concern.

As I've said in this thread before, I haven't sold one player that I haven't wanted to.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a question about the chairman elections:

As you know, you start with the legend Josu Urrutia as chairman. He managed to remain chairman in my save, until 2022, where he lost the election.

Since then I kinda missed having him around... though I actually signed him as director of football between 2022-27.

I decided to release him in 2027, some years before the new election.

My intention was that, if he was not my director of football, at the time of election, he might get elected as chairman again...?

I dont know if that is possible, now that he has become a "regular" staff option in game, but I think it would be nice if he stands for the elections again.

Instead of the usual newgen chairmans.

for  youngsters u guys sign strictly from basque or any spanish players 16 and below ?

To be honest I first learned not to sign 16-years olds, like 2-3 years into my save. 

But when I discovered it was more fun to try and replicate the irl transfer politics, I did that.

So the thing I actually did was to get rid of the players who were in fact not originally basque.

It still annoys me that they pop up now and then in my scout reports, and sometimes as part of the national team. (although that has been very few)

On 4/29/2016 at 06:11, bowieinspace said:

Worth it though as he can't be that old in your save, 27 or just 28 maybe? I think I picked him up for 35-40 and it was definitely a bit later than the end of the second season. I seem to remember him being 29 for some reason. At 27/28 you could potentially get 6 or 7 seasons out of him as a first choice RB. Combined with Laporte and Martinez you've got a world class back line for years. That makes me jealous as I'm in 2029 and my defense is horrific :eek:

san jose and oscar to be rotated ?

• 2 weeks later...

Who's excited for Athletic in FM17? It's been great watching some of the youngsters play so far this season, and hopefully the exposure for the B team in Liga Adelante last season should see some boosts. Personally I expect that Yeray will have a big boost, and Arrizabalaga is starting for the first team now, so he should get a CA boost too, maybe even PA. Having Villalibre a year closer to the first team is going to be invaluable too.

Benat has been excellent over the last year, as has San Jose in midfield, so could be some tweaks there...Lekue, Sabin, Boveda I could see having some adjustments as well now they've had a year in the first team.

I can't wait!

On 9/16/2016 at 07:08, Swordsman said:

san jose and oscar to be rotated ?

If you have San Jose, Martinez and Laporte you've got 3 excellent centre backs to rotate there. I tended to use San Jose as a DM a lot as well. On FM17 I hope San Jose will be more of a natural DM/CM rather than CB. 

De Marcos is a great option at right back, but if you can get Azpilicueta he's a much better option. De Marcos can play almost anywhere on the pitch so he's a good squad player and I would never sell him. Also he's a total legend and has committed himself to Athletic in real life despite interest from elsewhere

On 9/16/2016 at 07:06, Swordsman said:

can't wait for fm 17.

any deadwood i must remove ?

The squad this year is really superb and well balanced...there's not many players you would consider deadwood, especially with Europa League fixtures to rotate. Mikel Rico isn't the player he was a few years ago, and Javier Eraso/Gorka Elustondo are experienced rotation option really, but you could easily keep them as back up if needs be as they will do a job. There's plenty of good youngsters in the squad, and the B team, so priority will be getting them involved. Fortunately this has started to happen already and the squad is built around giving them chances

I'll be taking a look at Inigo Vicente and Asier Villalibre in the B team, along with a few others to see if they could be included. I'll be keeping an eye on Mikel Merino at Dortmund as well.

Aside from that the obvious options such as Azpilicueta, Herrera and Inigo Martinez will obviously be watched carefully!

I might wait until after the 17.2 update to play Athletic Club, in the new version.

Currently I am in 2031, and have only played that save for a long time.

(Kepa will retire in about 2 months.) But I have a 20-year old replacement, which is already 2-star, who have played 1 season as first choice already.

My biggest sale was btw. Inaki Williams for 67.149.000 million euros.

But if I had sold some of my very talented newgens, I could have made bigger money.

Perhaps time to play something else in FM 2017.

6 hours ago, IsthmianCorinthian14 said:

I might wait until after the 17.2 update to play Athletic Club, in the new version.

Currently I am in 2031, and have only played that save for a long time.

(Kepa will retire in about 2 months.) But I have a 20-year old replacement, which is already 2-star, who have played 1 season as first choice already.

My biggest sale was btw. Inaki Williams for 67.149.000 million euros.

But if I had sold some of my very talented newgens, I could have made bigger money.

Perhaps time to play something else in FM 2017.

Good save length there! I played until around the same year on FM16, which is about normal for my Athletic saves on FM. I think FM17 is going to be the best Athletic for some time, with plenty of good youngsters having seen first team action in the last year, and a very solid group of senior players.

Personally I'll getting into it from the Beta, but Athletic is my primary save each year and the only one I tend to run long term. Hope to see you on here during FM17 :)

I do feel I could have won more silverware in the save though... I have only just won the league title in La Liga in the 2030-31 season. And a handful of Copa del Rey finals, but only 1 won there too. Also one of each when it comes to UEFA Super Cup and Spanish Super Cup. And Europa League have I won once. Champions League is hard for me to get succes in, when it comes to this save.

It is all about doing something for the 2nd time now I guess. I want that CL-trophy though, if I can make it before FM17.

On 10/6/2016 at 18:52, IsthmianCorinthian14 said:

I do feel I could have won more silverware in the save though... I have only just won the league title in La Liga in the 2030-31 season. And a handful of Copa del Rey finals, but only 1 won there too. Also one of each when it comes to UEFA Super Cup and Spanish Super Cup. And Europa League have I won once. Champions League is hard for me to get succes in, when it comes to this save.

It is all about doing something for the 2nd time now I guess. I want that CL-trophy though, if I can make it before FM17.

I'd always had super successful Athletic saves on past FM games, my team on FM15 was amazing overall. 

FM16 seemed to take longer to get things going, and my team always seemed to crumble in big games. It was a very frustrating save for periods, and I eventually won the Champions League for the first time in about 2030 after years of close calls.

Athletic in general, but especially if you're only signign Basque under 16s and not random spaniard 16 year olds can sometimes be a bit of a slow burner. If you don't get the regens in the right positions or get a surplus of amazing strikers but no decent defenders, it can become a real tough save for year after year as there's no quick way to change things

I find it odd, that my B-team managers get sacked so easily - even when they are part of the top in Liga Adelante.

I have stopped hiring club legends and so on, in form of former players, in this role, as I rather keep them as regular staff.

Instead of losing them because they wont rejoin me for some time, after getting fired.

Even when I have the instructions set to the option where I should be in control of the hiring in the B-team, the board is still able to sack the manager.

9 hours ago, IsthmianCorinthian14 said:

I find it odd, that my B-team managers get sacked so easily - even when they are part of the top in Liga Adelante.

I have stopped hiring club legends and so on, in form of former players, in this role, as I rather keep them as regular staff.

Instead of losing them because they wont rejoin me for some time, after getting fired.

Even when I have the instructions set to the option where I should be in control of the hiring in the B-team, the board is still able to sack the manager.

Yeah I had this problem as well, there seems to be something buggy here and really to solve this the player needs to have full control over the manager at the B team. 

I had a number of scenarios:

1) Manager does well and gets sacked due to (what I imagine) unrealistic board expectations maybe combined with some sort of financial bug

2) Team does badly because I've given them a weak group of players due to promotions to the first team etc. Manager actually overachieves with the squad he has but gets sacked any way. His purpose is youth development, so the expectations in relation to team performance need to be massively adjusted.

Can you post this in the bugs forum with an uploaded copy of your save? I'd be happy to chime in on the thread as well if you put the link up here

11 hours ago, IsthmianCorinthian14 said:

Good idea.

I will think about it.

Dont know how to share a save-file though. 

I can recognise many of the examples you have given.

There is a guideline on the bugs forum on how to do that. I would do it myself but I don't have my save file anymore

First post on forum but signed up simply to say this thread was great. Currently into my 4th season with Athletic and loving it.

Unfortunately lost 2 key players in Inaki (€35mil) & Laporte (€45mil), although Inaki is currently unhappy at Real Madrid so I am monitoring the situation. Laporte flying at Man United so not much chance of getting him back.

Reason for my post is to find out if anyone has had success with Pau Minguelez (of Racing Santander) or Villalibre after the 4/5 season mark? With Aduriz retiring at end of 18/19 season I'm keen to find out what people do for striker options. I had them both but sold them is the reason for asking.

Also, I signed Pepelu on my first season, has anyone on this thread brought him in before for Athletic?

Villalibre was a decent replacement for Aduritz for me for like 3 years. But nothing more than that. Only decent.

After that I had a newgen, originally from Osasuna, who really has become a star striker.

He is currently 32 - with 1.5 years left on his contract. 

Dont know yet if I renew it. (high wages).

I am finding it a bit tough to break even in the last years of my save - and to find money to continue to keep up with facilities that needs to be maintained, before they 'decline'.

On 10/15/2016 at 03:06, CraigTodd said:

First post on forum but signed up simply to say this thread was great. Currently into my 4th season with Athletic and loving it.

Unfortunately lost 2 key players in Inaki (€35mil) & Laporte (€45mil), although Inaki is currently unhappy at Real Madrid so I am monitoring the situation. Laporte flying at Man United so not much chance of getting him back.

Reason for my post is to find out if anyone has had success with Pau Minguelez (of Racing Santander) or Villalibre after the 4/5 season mark? With Aduriz retiring at end of 18/19 season I'm keen to find out what people do for striker options. I had them both but sold them is the reason for asking.

Also, I signed Pepelu on my first season, has anyone on this thread brought him in before for Athletic?

Welcome!

Losing Laporte and Williams is a big shame, hopefully you get them back! Inigo Martinez is a decent replacement for Laporte if you're able to get him at some stage.

I found Villalibre to be decent, but to be honest he's a little underrated on FM stat wise, as is Inigo Vicente...both of whom are real prospects IRL. I used Villalibre for a few seasons but I had a really good newgen come through so never had to worry about it for too long. Villalibre did well though and scored at a reasonable rate, I was just fortunate to have a better newgen come through. 

I've never signed Pepelu, but I don't sign any under 16s without Basque nationality when playing as Athletic so he wouldn't even be on my radar! 

I've never signed Pepelu, but I don't sign any under 16s without Basque nationality when playing as Athletic so he wouldn't even be on my radar! 

This is why I think an Athletic Club save is so great to play. The challenge should get tougher as time goes on in game.

I lost Laporte due to a release clause. The same with Williams - although some years later. Williams a far better sale than Laporte.

On 10/14/2016 at 15:06, CraigTodd said:

I've had him before, can't remember if it was Athletic or not, but can become a very tidy midfielder.

20 hours ago, IsthmianCorinthian14 said:

This is why I think an Athletic Club save is so great to play. The challenge should get tougher as time goes on in game.

I lost Laporte due to a release clause. The same with Williams - although some years later. Williams a far better sale than Laporte.

I've generally found wide players/forwards much easier to replace so I can definitely understand that. Laporte is extremely tough to replace, there's no one else who compares in game and on FM16 it felt like defensive newgens of quality were few and far between

22 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Welcome!

Losing Laporte and Williams is a big shame, hopefully you get them back! Inigo Martinez is a decent replacement for Laporte if you're able to get him at some stage.

I found Villalibre to be decent, but to be honest he's a little underrated on FM stat wise, as is Inigo Vicente...both of whom are real prospects IRL. I used Villalibre for a few seasons but I had a really good newgen come through so never had to worry about it for too long. Villalibre did well though and scored at a reasonable rate, I was just fortunate to have a better newgen come through. 

Williams has just been transfer listed - bid placed this morning on the train! Will be glad to get him back. Villalibre has been brilliant for me so far. Also have a newgen coming through who is looking promising.

Been monitoring Inigo Martinez since I started. Hasn't been interested in 4 seasons mind you.

Ander Herrera has made such a difference to the side though.

19 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

I've had him before, can't remember if it was Athletic or not, but can become a very tidy midfielder.

He's starting to come on a bit now. Will likely be the replacement for Xabi Alonso or Iturraspe.

9 minutes ago, CraigTodd said:

Williams has just been transfer listed - bid placed this morning on the train! Will be glad to get him back. Villalibre has been brilliant for me so far. Also have a newgen coming through who is looking promising.

Been monitoring Inigo Martinez since I started. Hasn't been interested in 4 seasons mind you.

Ander Herrera has made such a difference to the side though.

Nice that's great.

I started my Athletic save on the original database, it's possible Villalibre got a boost after the January update. Either way he did well for me and was a good option until something else came through.

I'm expecting improvements for Villalibre and Vicente on Fm17, as well as Yeray who has been underrated in recent FMs but is now started for the first team and looks superb. Sometimes the Athletic youth team players are a little underrated overall I think given how strong the academy has proven to be

9 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

I think Villalibre may have had a variable potential, as I had him turn into great young forward, but have seen him not amount to much on other saves.

He did have a variable potential this year. I think he will again for Fm17 as he's still pretty young and playing for the B team. 

Ok so first impressions of the squad on Fm17:

- Yeray, Kepa and Mikel Vesga all start at the B team which needs to be fixed

- Yeray is horrifically underrated and is well below the level of Etxieta with no real potential by the looks of it

- Kepa appears to have limited potential beyond his current level, and might not be any better than Gorka's current level in the future

- Lekue has been improved a fair bit from last year

On 9/30/2016 at 17:15, bowieinspace said:

The squad this year is really superb and well balanced...there's not many players you would consider deadwood, especially with Europa League fixtures to rotate. Mikel Rico isn't the player he was a few years ago, and Javier Eraso/Gorka Elustondo are experienced rotation option really, but you could easily keep them as back up if needs be as they will do a job. There's plenty of good youngsters in the squad, and the B team, so priority will be getting them involved. Fortunately this has started to happen already and the squad is built around giving them chances

I'll be taking a look at Inigo Vicente and Asier Villalibre in the B team, along with a few others to see if they could be included. I'll be keeping an eye on Mikel Merino at Dortmund as well.

Aside from that the obvious options such as Azpilicueta, Herrera and Inigo Martinez will obviously be watched carefully!

ehm, hello, im new in this forum but quite a veteran on fm :) (at least in playing time)

anyway im curious, how much azpilicueta costs you? ive been trying to sign him, but they keep rejecting my 27mil offer :(

btw, hes so awesome stats-wise and irl, im gonna go try converting him at centreback once i got him

Guest El Payaso
7 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Ok so first impressions of the squad on Fm17:

- Yeray, Kepa and Mikel Vesga all start at the B team which needs to be fixed

- Yeray is horrifically underrated and is well below the level of Etxieta with no real potential by the looks of it

- Kepa appears to have limited potential beyond his current level, and might not be any better than Gorka's current level in the future

- Lekue has been improved a fair bit from last year

You should report on these in the data issues to get them fixed. I feel that there are generally no changes at all in terms of Athletic players' attributes which is wrong as for example Williams broke into the national team last season and like said Yeray and Kepa now play a first team role and Yeray still has maybe Segunda level CA.

Archived