Deisler26

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22566586548_8936818463.jpg

RKC Waalwijk

End of Jan 2023 Transfer Window

Results

Go Ahead Eagles provided our first Eredivisie opponents in September. A stumbling 2-2 draw heralded next a good 2-1 win over Feyenoord Rotterdam, before we were well beaten 0-2 in a lacklustre appearance against sc Heerenveen. We then embarked on a three game winning streak. 2-1 against VVV Venlo, 3-1 against FC Groningen and a thundering 4-1 win over Vitesse Arnhem. This mini-revival was halted, 0-1 against AFC Ajax Amsterdam. It was a terrible result and I was furious.

A Joost Kuipers hat-trick gave us a 3-0 win over FC Utrecht and we followed up that with a 4-2 win over newly-promoted Willem II Tilburg. A now-common stutter against SBV Excelsior saw us give away a 2-0 lead in the 91st minute to draw 2-2. This started some very uneven play over the next few games, mainly as we were playing Europa League matches in the middle. A 3-1 win over PSV Eindhoven was followed by a dull 0-0 draw against PEC Zwolle. We then did the double over Willem II Tilburg, winning 3-1, but losing next game 0-2 to FC Twente Enschede. We then finished January with a 93rd minute winner to beat Heracles Almeo 1-0 and then a simple 2-0 win over NAC Breda.

- Table - - Results -

In the KNVB Beker, we easily beat lower-division opposition in Harkemase Boys, with youth player Donovan Moentari scoring a brace on his debut in a 5-0 win. We then tore apart Jupiler League opposition in the shape of Sparta Rotterdam as we put six past them in a 6-0 win. In the Fourth Round, our usual graveyard, we comfortably beat sc Heerenveen, thanks to an early goal, an own goal and a penalty from Adam Maher to put us in the Fifth Round for the first time in 8 years!

In the UEFA Europa League, we had an easier draw than last season's debut, so I was expecting some points. And we got off to the best possible start, beating Fenerbache S.K on their own patch, 1-0 with a header from veteran defender Jeffrey Gouweleeuw. We then took apart BATE Borisov at home, 5-0!

In the back-to-back series against Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, we easily won 3-0 at home and drew 2-2 away, putting us in pole position in the group. We then went to Hell, Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium, and came away with a famous 2-0 victory against Fenerbache S.K which qualified us for the next round! As the final group game was smack in the middle of a patch of hard games, I went out to Belarus with a scratch side to play BATE Borisov and shut the game down, coming back with a 0-0 draw.

- Results -

-------------------------

Transfers

Signings wise, we resigned an old player. Defender Jeffrey Kooiman left for greener pastures at PSV Eindhoven, but realised that it wasn't always greener and returned in a £1m deal. Of which we got 50% of the fee back! Bonus! We then signed our on-loan AFC Ajax Amsterdam winger Che Nunnely for £5m. We could do with the cover and £5m is a decent price. Finally, I signed cover for the injured Derks in the form of former Ajax player Queensy Menig for £300k from Genclerbirligi. I thought that was the end of my shopping, but my HOYD signed a young striker to a decent contract on deadline day.

Leaving the club was young right back Gezin Toma. He would have been an integral part of this season, but a £7.5m + 50% deal from Bayer 04 Leverkusen was too good to turn down. Also leaving was veteran defender Jeffrey Gouweleeuw for £10k to Belenenses. A couple of fringe players were loaned out, before Chelsea surprised us with a £3.8m bid for young Czech midfielder Josef Svoboda. Again, it was too good to turn down, so I didn't haha!

Enjoyed reading about your save this morning. As a result of reading it Google has just started randomly sending me RKC updates on my phone, losing 1-0 to Sparta apparently! KUTGW.

Thanks man, that's really appeciated! Hope you keep reading!

RKC Waalwijk

End of 2022/23 Season Review

Results

We saw in February in the Eredivisie by thumping Roda JC 4-1 and swiftly followed that up with a good 2-0 win over AZ Alkmaar, thanks to a Joost Kuipers double. Kuipers was on target again in a 1-1 draw against PSV Eindhoven. Another stumble against Go Ahead Eagles in a 2-2 draw didn't bode well for the league or cup tie against them. This gave us the kick up the arse needed to go on a four game winning streak, including Tim Receveur's magnificent solo goal, reminiscent of Hector Bellerin's goal against Liverpool IRL, that gave us a 1-0 win over Feyenoord Rotterdam.

This lead us up to a game that would help settle the title. AFC Ajax Amsterdam away. We were level on points, but with an inferior goal difference, we needed to get a result. And we got off to a good start when the Ajax winger saw red for a two-footed tackle on Che Nunnely on 17 minutes. Then, on 41 minutes, a sweeping move from the right wing started. Receveur knocked it infield to Kuipers, who laid it off to Strootman. Strootman held it up, then slipped in the onrushing Co Gootjes, who thundered home into the top corner! 1-0! 1-0 at HT, against 10 men, we had the best opportunity to win the league so far. However, just after the half time whistle, Ajax had a free kick on the right wing. A deep cross caused havoc and a looping header beat Vink and nestled into the far corner. 1-1. I set up to attack them constantly, frantic to get a result, but Ajax defended to a man and the game finished 1-1.

And, despite two wins in the last two games (2-0 vs FC Utrecht & 1-0 vs PEC Zwolle), Ajax won theirs too, which meant we were condemned to second for the third year in a row, this time by goal difference...

Board League Target: Finish Mid-Table

Actual League Result: 2nd of 18, Runners Up

- Table - Results - Stats -

-------

The KNVB Beker was our best run so far under my stewardship. We'd made it to the Quarter Final, thanks to wins over Harkemase Boys (5-0), Sparta Rotterdam (6-0) and sc Heerenveen (3-1). And we'd landed a home tie against Vitesse Arnhem. A relatively simple 2-0 win saw us into the Semi Final against Go Ahead Eagles. And we found ourselves 0-1 down at HT. FFS. I screamed at them all to do better in the second half and on 69 minutes, Jordy Gravenbicht picked the ball up on the halfway line. Outpacing two players, he sprinted down the wing, getting to the byline, before cutting the ball back into the middle for a waiting Wouter Derks to head home to level. 1-1. Time was running out, so I flooded the players forward. On 89 mins, Derks was through, but his shot was saved by the keeper and put out for a corner. The resulting corner was cleared as far as Gravenbicht, who knocked it out wide to Kooiman. His deep cross found Wouter Derks all alone, after he had peeled off his marker. His header into the net gave us the win, 2-1!. This saw us into the Final!!. Against AFC Ajax Amsterdam...

The day of the Final dawned wet and windy in Rotterdam and neither side seemed to be up for it in the opening stages as we couldn't seem to find a way through and Ajax seemed happy to strangle the middle. However, on 38 minutes, a wayward ball by the Ajax midfielder found Che Nunnely and his long ball over the top of the defence found Joost Kuipers sprinting through the middle. He took a touch then fired home against his old club. 1-0! Half time game and, seeing that the game was pretty even, I elected to change nothing until 70 minutes, when I went full defensive and it killed the game! The full-time whistle blew and WE'D WON THE KNVB BEKER!

I also got this notification after the game

Board Cup Target: Semi-Final

Actual Cup Result: WINNERS

-------

In the UEFA Champions League, we easily beat Zenit St.Petersburg, before we unluckily fell on penalties to Borussia Dortmund in the Best Placed Playoff. This dropped us into the UEFA Europa League Group Stage with Fenerbache S.K, BATE Borisov & Dnipro Dniproprevsk. With three straight wins to open the group, we qualified easily and faced Athletic Bilbao in the First Knockout Round. And the first game, away in Spain, was settled at the end of the first half. Co Gootjes opened the scoring on 31 minutes, burying a Kuipers cross from close range. 1-0. However, a header from a corner evened the game up at 1-1 on 39 minutes. Just before HT, a 30 yard thunderbot from Donny van der Beek was beaten out by the Athletic keeper, only for Jordy Gravenbicht to pounce on the rebound and make it 2-1. So, we had a lead to take back to Waalwijk. And it was Co Gootjes again, who settled the tie, stabbing home from close range on 38 minutes to give us the win 3-1 on aggregate!

This gave us a tie against ACF Fiorentina in the Second Knockout Round and this was just a bridge too far. They beat us easily 1-3 at home and only a Co Gootjes double in the last 3 minutes saved us further humilation in a 2-2 draw, which sent us out 2-5 on aggregate.

UCL Target: Make Best Placed Playoff

Actual UCL result: Out in Best Placed Playoff

EL Target: Make Group Stage

Actual EL Result: Out at Second Knockout Round (lost 2-5 on aggregate to ACF Fiorentina)

- Europa League Results -

RKC Waalwijk

2023/24 Johan Cryuff Shield

29 July 2023

Amsterdam ArenA

Johan Cryuff Shield

RKC Waalwijk 1 - 0 AFC Ajax Amsterdam

A breezy day in Amsterdam sees us walk out for first ever appearance in Holland's traditional curtain raiser. Our KNVB Beker trophy shines bright as we file out past it. Our opponents today are the team that beat us to the title and we beat to win the cup. AFC Ajax Amsterdam.

We held Ajax to zero shots at all through the first 15 minutes and we'd already forced the Ajax keeper into a great double save. However, on 27 minutes, our pressure told as Tim Receveur blasted down the right, taking on the opposing full back and whipping in a dangerous cross for Joost Kuipers to bury it from extremely close range. 1-0.

The second half passed much the same way. Ajax had a few dangerous attacks, but most of them were fired directly at the keeper and it was much the same story with us. However, on 86 minutes, a long crossfield ball saw their winger in acres of space. He received the ball, steadied himself and whipped in a glorious ball. The Ajax striker met the cross with an excellent header, sure he was going to level it up. Only for Leeuwenburgh to stick out a hand and divert the bullet header over the bar. What a save! It broke Ajax hearts and we run out winners in our first ever appearance!

RKC Waalwijk

2023/24 UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Playoffs

Results

2 August 2023

AkzoNobel Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Third Round, First Leg

RKC Waalwijk 4 - 0 Galatasary S.K

Back where our European adventures first began. Turkey again, only this time, it was the giants of Turkish football, Galatasary S.K. Still, all teams are beatable, as seen by our Dortmund escapades last season. And it only took 5 minutes to get going in this game. Co Gootjes was dancing down the right as ever and was brutally brought down in the area. This led to the Galatasary defender's marching orders and Adam Maher punished them even more from the spot. 1-0. We had the advantage and on 18 minutes, an outswinging Maher corner found Jeffrey Kooiman on the corner of the six yard box. His header was towards goal and had the beating of the Gala keeper. However, the defender on the line rose up to head the ball clear and succeeded in heading it into the far corner. 2-0.

We were controlling the game, but Gala were still dangerous and Leeuwenburgh had to be alert for a few tasty chances, all of which he was equal to, however. After HT, Gala's indiscipline cost them again and Gootjes, who had given his full back a tortuous game, was brought down by him and that saw his second yellow and his dismissal. Gala down to 9 men and we took full advantage. On 49 minutes, a Maher free kick was wickedly curved into the box and it beat everyone except Co Gootjes, sliding in at the far post to make it 3-0. On 65 minutes, it got worse for Gala. Tight, intricate play down the left saw Maher play in Wouter Derks and his finish from close range made it 4-0 and the game. We shut up shop after that and rode it out.

-----------------

9 August 2023

Türk Telekom Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Third Round, Second Leg

Galatasary S.K 1(1) - (5)1 RKC Waalwijk

This game saw us play a number of youth and backups in it and take a defensive formation, purely to stifle the inevitable attack from Gala. However, we rewrote the script after only two minutes, as Che Nunnely, beat two men on the right wing and launched a teasing cross that Max van Schijindel headed home as the Gala keeper flailed. 1-0. Gala finally got a goal just after HT, their midfielder smashing home after chaos reigned in the box after a free kick to level it up at 1-1.

Gala couldn't let their indiscipline lie though and their midfielder saw red for a two footed tackle on 74 minutes, which killed the game even more and we easily run out winners, 5-1 on aggregate.

RKC Waalwijk

End of 2022/23 Season Review

Results

We saw in February in the Eredivisie by thumping Roda JC 4-1 and swiftly followed that up with a good 2-0 win over AZ Alkmaar, thanks to a Joost Kuipers double. Kuipers was on target again in a 1-1 draw against PSV Eindhoven. Another stumble against Go Ahead Eagles in a 2-2 draw didn't bode well for the league or cup tie against them. This gave us the kick up the arse needed to go on a four game winning streak, including Tim Receveur's magnificent solo goal, reminiscent of Hector Bellerin's goal against Liverpool IRL, that gave us a 1-0 win over Feyenoord Rotterdam.

This lead us up to a game that would help settle the title. AFC Ajax Amsterdam away. We were level on points, but with an inferior goal difference, we needed to get a result. And we got off to a good start when the Ajax winger saw red for a two-footed tackle on Che Nunnely on 17 minutes. Then, on 41 minutes, a sweeping move from the right wing started. Receveur knocked it infield to Kuipers, who laid it off to Strootman. Strootman held it up, then slipped in the onrushing Co Gootjes, who thundered home into the top corner! 1-0! 1-0 at HT, against 10 men, we had the best opportunity to win the league so far. However, just after the half time whistle, Ajax had a free kick on the right wing. A deep cross caused havoc and a looping header beat Vink and nestled into the far corner. 1-1. I set up to attack them constantly, frantic to get a result, but Ajax defended to a man and the game finished 1-1.

And, despite two wins in the last two games (2-0 vs FC Utrecht & 1-0 vs PEC Zwolle), Ajax won theirs too, which meant we were condemned to second for the third year in a row, this time by goal difference...

Board League Target: Finish Mid-Table

Actual League Result: 2nd of 18, Runners Up

- Table - Results - Stats -

Goal difference. :D Jesus, you've been really unlucky this career...

What's up with the league table in that link there, it's tiny and it doesn't show Ajax?

Congrats on winning the Supercup and finally making it to the Champions League groups!!

Goal difference. :D Jesus, you've been really unlucky this career...

What's up with the league table in that link there, it's tiny and it doesn't show Ajax?

Congrats on winning the Supercup and finally making it to the Champions League groups!!

I have no idea.. I've redone them and it should work now.

Thanks man. But I'm still not into the CL groups yet. One more tie.

RKC Waalwijk

2023/24 UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Playoffs

Results

22 August 2023

AkzoNobel Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Playoff, First Leg

RKC Waalwijk 0 - 1 S.S Lazio

Again, we managed to draw one of the hardest teams in the pot. S.S Lazio. Still, we had to beat them to make the Champions League Group Stage for the first time ever, so I set us up to keep it tight and look to take a slim lead/draw away to Rome. This was a good idea. Apart from the catastrophic fail in the 15th minute. A corner was swung in and the Lazio striker rose from a crowd of players and headed the ball towards goal. Leeuwenburgh sprang to his right and clawed it out of the air, where it fell to Jeffrey Kooiman. He swung a boot at it, looking to clear it with all the force he could muster. His connection was pure, the ball rocketed off his boot.. Right into the face of a Lazio player. The ball then ricocheted backwards into the net. 0-1. It was a very lacklustre game in which no team really threatened, despite my urging of the boys forwards. The full time whistle blew and we were still in with a chance, but it had gotten a lot slimmer.

-----------------

30 August 2023

Stadio Olimpico

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Playoff, Second Leg

S.S Lazio 3(4) - (0)0 RKC Waalwijk

Well, this is the most disgusted I have ever been with this team. We lined up well, I rested players in a previous match, I pumped their tires going into the match and in the dressing room. Only for Jeffrey Kooiman to seemingly kick the ground in the fifth minute and allow the Lazio striker to roof the ball into the net. 0-1. I went on the attack and at 0-2 on aggregate, the tie wasn't dead. Until the 18th minute, when the defence stood still like statues and allowed their attacking midfielder to waltz through our offside trap (not much of a trap) and roll the ball under Menno Vink, playing because it was his former club and I wanted any edge I could get. 0-2.

I was livid. I made three subs on 20 minutes, because I was so angry and set us up to just defend. Finally, they scored a carbon copy of their second goal in the 60th minute to make it 0-3 on the night and 0-4 on aggregate. Pathetic.

RKC Waalwijk

End of Aug 2023 Transfer Window

A sign of ambition? I was given the brief of Qualify for the UEFA Europa League in the Eredivisie and was given a £356k wage budget and £22.89m for transfers. A monster wodge.

Results

In the Eredivisie, we kicked off our campaign at home to NAC Breda. And what a start we had. Co Gootjes ran riot, scoring a hat-trick on route to a 5-0 thrashing! A magnificent start to the season! Next was FC Groningen, away at Euroborg. Once again, the opposition was brushed aside as Amr Salah headed home from a corner, Kevin Strootman fired home from the edge of the area and Co Gootjes popped up with a goal late on to seal a wonderful 3-0 win.

Our final league game of the month saw us play Vitesse Arnhem. We had a rotated side, due to the UCL matches sandwiching the fixture and it showed as we were rusty and lethargic. However, Goosens' long range effort was parried out to Joost Kuipers, who gratefully accepted the gift on 72 minutes, giving us a barely-deserved 1-0 win.

- Table - - Results -

In our UEFA Champions League adventure, we went from ecstasy against Galatasary S.K to the agony against S.S Lazio, which put us back into the Europa League for the third season running.

- UCL Results -

We also won the traditional Dutch curtain raiser, the Johan Cryuff Shield

-------------------------

Transfers

Another weird transfer window. A lot of sacred cows sold and not much in the way of replacements. Club icon Maxi Rolon came to me and asked for a transfer out, for a new challenge. I couldn't deny him his chance out and sold him to Legia Warsaw for £2.5m. Next, defender Suently Alberto was sold unceremoniously to Hellas Verona for £1.3m. I had a lot of good youth defenders coming through and they would need game time. Midfielder Arjan Gerlofs was sold at a loss to RC Standard Liege, costing the club £800k on a £1m deal.

Utility player Marc van Schijndel was offloaded to FC Utrecht for £1m on the basis that he wouldn't play much for me. Then, from nowhere, a monster £7.25m + 50% bid from Sporting Club de Portugal was made for winger Jordy Gravenbicht, which I would have been a fool to turn down. We also had the annual raid of our youth from FC Bayern Munchen, as they made off with midfielder Mehdi Amrani for £3m + 50%.

On deadline day, I reluctantly sold Donny van der Beek to Liverpool for £12.5m + 50% sell on. He was so good, but that money was insane. Then, finally I sold veteran right back Tim Receveur to AEK Athens for £425k. He'd made 152 appearances for us, but I had to start bringing the youth through. We also had another windfall..

Coming in, we had ex-player Robert de Graff for £10m from Liverpool. However, due to the 50% sell on, we only paid £5m..:D. Co Gootjes was signed permanently for £5m from AFC Ajax Amsterdam. We also managed to steal Chelsea defender Nathan Ake away on a Bosman free, along with Feyenoord Rotterdam defender Anton Vicento. Seeing that after a few games that we were a little shaky at the back, I resigned Rodney Lopes Carabal for £5.5m from AFC Ajax Amsterdam and picked up a transfer-listed Jorrit Hendrix for £4.3m from A.C Milan.

With the van der Beek sale, I immediately took the plunge with a transfer target I had been scouting for a while, utility player Harrie van der Berg for £6m from FC Utrecht. Let us hope, this will be enough.

- Transfers -

Archived