Players constantly dwelling on the ball and getting tackled. Driving me mad!

I have no idea why this is happening but my players dwell on the ball when there's obvious and simple passes available to them and inevitably get tackled and lose the ball. This happens constantly in every match and I never see the AI players do it.

I play a 4231 formation on mostly low tempo with short passing/retain possession on control/attacking.

Is there any common reason why this happens?

well low tempo will make the more likely to do that, also using short passing and retain possession will double things up, and if that mega short passing options isnt available, the player may "dwell"

Im reasonably sure it doesnt happen "constantly in every match", but if you want better help you will need to put up your full tactic/PI/TI and also your team/players. A few screenshots of it happening wouldnt hurt, as people might be able to pick out things from the shape at certain times which might be contributing.

well low tempo will make the more likely to do that, also using short passing and retain possession will double things up, and if that mega short passing options isnt available, the player may "dwell".

Jambo, my man!!!! lol. You just solved a problem I have been having without understanding the cause.

I have no idea why this is happening but my players dwell on the ball when there's obvious and simple passes available to them and inevitably get tackled and lose the ball. This happens constantly in every match and I never see the AI players do it.

I play a 4231 formation on mostly low tempo with short passing/retain possession on control/attacking.

Is there any common reason why this happens?

Its usually a symptom of other problems, most likely, either you are short on attributes like first touch, concentration, composure or you could have a system where players are trying to get into position and your players are holding on to the ball waiting to make the pass. I would look at what Jambo has suggested, tempo, width, passing style may need to be modified to counter what you are experiencing. Most of the time my players are able to move the ball around confidently, the only time I notice that we are not playing as well as I expect is usually down to complacency.

well low tempo will make the more likely to do that, also using short passing and retain possession will double things up, and if that mega short passing options isnt available, the player may "dwell"

Im reasonably sure it doesnt happen "constantly in every match", but if you want better help you will need to put up your full tactic/PI/TI and also your team/players. A few screenshots of it happening wouldnt hurt, as people might be able to pick out things from the shape at certain times which might be contributing.

Sorry to jump into this thread - If i should start a new thread let me know.

I'm about to sign a young 18 year RB who has a ppm of dwells on the ball. My current tactic has short passing and low tempo. When the player eventually joins me, is it worth me re training him so he doesn't dwell on the ball?

Well, you are already telling all your players to dwell on the ball. Low tempo, + even lower tempo (short passing) = much dwelling. Dwell too much, and your players will be prone to be tackled by opp. players catching up with them. Can be specially unfortunate if you have a lot of small (weak) players. Tempo is mainly decision time - the time you allow your players to take in order to make a decision about what to do next.

You are going to sign a player that does exactly what you want. Dwell. Why would you re-train his ppm that should be right up your alley?

That being said; I don't like any ppm's that enforces or expands on tactical instructions like that. Even if they seem to fit into my -current- tactics. It can be detrimental to your future tactics and role/duty allocations. If I can, I will at some point try to get rid of such ppm's. I would not like to have a RB with that ppm under any circumstances. For certain roles - holding midfielders, perhaps - it possibly wouldn't be all that critical, but depending on your tactics, of course. But I fail to see any advantage to that ppm for most other roles/positions. Quite the contrary, I would say.

Sorry to jump into this thread - If i should start a new thread let me know.

I'm about to sign a young 18 year RB who has a ppm of dwells on the ball. My current tactic has short passing and low tempo. When the player eventually joins me, is it worth me re training him so he doesn't dwell on the ball?

IT depends on how that plays out in your system. Generally i see that as a "negative" PPM, but there are times it can be somewhat useful in slowing things down. I am not sure id want it in a fullback, but i would maybe see how he plays in a few games and judge whether you think the PPM is hurting, if so, try and train it away :)

I used to hate "dwells on the ball" until I met Paolo Dybala. I retrained the "plays with back to goal" PPM and he dwelled on the ball just long enough to assist my inside forwards 8 times and scored a few himself in 10 games playing as a false 9. With the right system and attributes its a killer PPM.

Jambo can I just add my thanks to this statement. I was having the same problems and put it down to my LL side's poor decision making stats. So obvious now that I think of it, but I couldn't see the woods for the trees .

Archived