First opposition shot

So, if you're playing an attacking formation, the first opposition shot almost ALWAYS goes in. Regardless of anything else.

I decided to test this, as it seemed the case, and in the last 10 games, NINE of them have resulted in the opposition scoring from their first shot on target. NINE OUT OF TEN.

I have a world class goalkeeper, great defence - makes so little difference. Also, in almost all of these games I had more shots on target and the opposition goalkeeper played 8, 9 even 10.

Can anyone explain what the hell this is about? It's really not just a coincidence.

• SI Staff

There are no fixes in the match engine, it doesn't know which is the human and which is the non-human team. I suggest you are probably committing too many men forward such that when your opponent does manage to break, you're outnumbered and the chance is much easier.

• SI Staff

One common cause of this is the David James syndrome* - where a team who are dominant have a very good goalkeeper who unfortunately doesn't have great concentration .. so when the opposition finally break and get a shot he's not ready for it.

*Yeah I know this might be dating me, for those youngsters here he was a goalkeeper at Liverpool 'back in the day' ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_James_%28footballer%29

There are no fixes in the match engine, it doesn't know which is the human and which is the non-human team. I suggest you are probably committing too many men forward such that when your opponent does manage to break, you're outnumbered and the chance is much easier.

I do not believe what you said.

For example, in my other post I mentioned the corner kick, AI team has more change than gamer'team. Why AI team can do it but we can not?

And I noticed there is a new floder "tactics" for FMH2015 (\fmh2015_data\data\tactics). This is the tactics AI team they will use in new ME.

I looked into "tactical_templates.xml". It looks like AI team in new ME is used tactics like PSP version. They do not use the role but use the player instruction.

I am very happy if SI can give me more explanation. But if you ignore my post or leave something valueless, it is ok. SI always treat your customers like this.

Sorry, barron, I post my unfriendly sentence in your post.

• SI Staff
I do not believe what you said.

For example, in my other post I mentioned the corner kick, AI team has more change than gamer'team. Why AI team can do it but we can not?

And I noticed there is a new floder "tactics" for FMH2015 (\fmh2015_data\data\tactics). This is the tactics AI team they will use in new ME.

I looked into "tactical_templates.xml". It looks like AI team in new ME is used tactics like PSP version. They do not use the role but use the player instruction.

I am very happy if SI can give me more explanation. But if you ignore my post or leave something valueless, it is ok. SI always treat your customers like this.

Sorry, barron, I post my unfriendly sentence in your post.

Ok - I generally try and avoid telling people about the innards of the engine, but seeing as you asked ..

The tactics used in the FMH Mobile games 'beneath the scenes' are exactly the same as those in the PSP game - you are correct. Simply put the tactical roles you set for a player map directly onto those tactical sliders etc. you used to set in the PSP game, you just use roles which are easier to understand than a myriad of sliders ...

This was done intentionally to make the game friendlier to use.

The AI uses exactly the same roles which you have available when setting up their tactics, there is no difference at all between what the AI can do and yourself - when the AI sets up its tactical formation (where players are on the pitch) for instance it takes a base tactic and then adjusts some player positions if it feels the need to do so, exactly the same way you yourself would do it.

This is important to me because I like my games to have a level and fair playing field, to be honest I think if the AI doesn't play by the same rules as yourself then it hurts the games feel personally.

Ok - I generally try and avoid telling people about the innards of the engine, but seeing as you asked ..

The tactics used in the FMH Mobile games 'beneath the scenes' are exactly the same as those in the PSP game - you are correct. Simply put the tactical roles you set for a player map directly onto those tactical sliders etc. you used to set in the PSP game, you just use roles which are easier to understand than a myriad of sliders ...

This was done intentionally to make the game friendlier to use.

The AI uses exactly the same roles which you have available when setting up their tactics, there is no difference at all between what the AI can do and yourself - when the AI sets up its tactical formation (where players are on the pitch) for instance it takes a base tactic and then adjusts some player positions if it feels the need to do so, exactly the same way you yourself would do it.

This is important to me because I like my games to have a level and fair playing field, to be honest I think if the AI doesn't play by the same rules as yourself then it hurts the games feel personally.

Thanks, Marc!

Your reply make me having a nice day!

I will start another post in which I want to discuss more about FMH2015 with you. If you can reply me, it will be very appreciated.

To say there are no fixes in the game is ridiculous. The game is rife with them. A few others:

Opposition shot to goal ratio is far better than the humans

Lowly ranked teams or teams on bad runs of form always win

Equalisers / winners conceded in last 10 mins

Teams score on the break even when you defend deep

Give away leads if you don't make token tactical changes

The engine has been visually enhanced but the realism and enjoyment has been ruined. The game is now set up for the player to fail, regardless of players / tactics.

I will see if they release any updates to redress the balance but have given up on it. Games are meant to be challenging, not unwinnable.

Not being funny, but I play 4-5-1 with two BWM's and no counterattack, Admittedly the team setting is attacking, but if that causes you to concede from the first shot all the time, maybe you can tell me what the point of an attacking setting is? It's not meant to be an Overload setting...

One common cause of this is the David James syndrome*

Hi Marc, cheers for the reply and appreciate the David James reference. If he would sit up playing Playstation all night...

I wasn't suggesting in any way that the engine was 'fixed' or engineered to make the player lose. What would be the point of that? It was meant to be genuine feedback to say that the game is far too skewed towards goalkeeper performance.

Take the last game I played (which I promise you, is so indicative of the games i've played). 14 Shots, 10 on target to their 2 shots, 2 on target. They win 1-0, their keeper plays a 9. Now, this can happen in football, where a dominant keeper keeps the rampant opposition at bay, but if you think about it, how often does that happen? Not too much in football nowadays, whereas on FMH15 it is the norm, not the exception.

Don't get me wrong, it can work both ways (for the player, rather than against) but results are basically entirely dependent on this. As I said above, in the nine game streak, the opposition GK was MotM and a 9 in six of those games. Now realistically, tell me where that would ever happen in football to that level of consistency. As I say, it's not IMPOSSIBLE, but it's all the time on FMH15 and it is tiresome.

This isn't just meant to be a moan, more constructive criticism - love to hear your thoughts.

• SI Staff
Not being funny, but I play 4-5-1 with two BWM's and no counterattack, Admittedly the team setting is attacking, but if that causes you to concede from the first shot all the time, maybe you can tell me what the point of an attacking setting is? It's not meant to be an Overload setting...

I could suggest changing one BWM to a DLM as the lines in your midfield are going to be pretty messy with that structure. I wouldn't be able to offer any more ideas without watching a few matches of yours though.

Sorry Alari, I wasn't asking you to fix my tactic. I was pointing out that a 4-5-1, even attacking, with no counter attack should not be considered by the ME as getting caught forward. Either way, this is an aside from my original point that the ME only seems to care about GK performances.

It's quite a common tale that crops up on FM as well as FMH where people have a tendency to prefer attacking play that can produce a lot of half chances as opposed to a more balanced approach that creates quality chances.

If your goals to shot ratio is quite low you need to consider how you may improve the quality of chances rather than the frequency of them.

It's an over simplification to suggest that if you are having a lot of shots on target and not scoring a lot of goals then that is down to the opposition keeper (although just like in real life they may get a lot of the credit).

If the opposition realise you are attacking and set up well defensively it can be difficult to break down and encourage more shots from distance, or rushed half-chances while your players are being closed down.

My suggestion would be that if you are playing Attacking from the start, experiment with starting more neutral and see how the game pans out.

You may find the opposition are less defensive towards you from the outset and it may open the match up a bit more so you create better chances.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying, but again I think you're missing the point. I'm not looking for tactical advice. You say I may want to consider the quality rather than the frequency of chances, but how do I know the quality? This is not FM15, there simply isn't the information available from matches for me to know that kind of information - not even CCC's.

And in terms of the keeper thing which was my original point, in real life games where a team creates a lot of weak, half chances, the opposition keeper does NOT get man of the match! In fact, I can't remember the last time a GK got man of the match in, say, the EPL, without having an absolutely outstanding game. In FMH15, it's literally one in every two/three games that MotM will go to one of the two GK's.

This may be how you want it/it's supposed to be, in which case fair enough - but trying to defend it as realistic is just demonstrably not true.

I had assumed you were playing on the new ME, where the highlights are more detailed and you have access to CCC stat, which can make things easier to interpret.

The reason we are giving tactical advice is because we know it's possible to play the game without having the opposition scoring against you with their first shot all the time.

If keepers are getting high ratings just from saving a lot of low quality shots rather than making genuinely excellent saves, then we can take a look at that. It's perhaps fair to say that a good defensive performance should see defenders get MoM more often instead.

But I do believe that in real life when a strong side has loads of shots and loses 1-0 against a weaker side, the keeper on the winning side will often be seen to have had a very good game and get a lot of the credit - even if this stems from the fact that a lot of shots have been outside the box because they were parking the bus.

Playing an attacking strategy against weaker opposition which encourages them to setup up very defensively can create more matches like that, which is why we are suggesting reducing the use of the attack strategy a bit.

It's also a vicious cycle because once your strikers start needing a lot of chances to score, this affects their confidence in front of goal, resulting in more fluffed chances and increasing the confidence & rating of the opposition goalie.

Sorry, yes - should have mentioned that I wasn't on the new ME. I take your point that it is possible - as I said, although a couple of people replied on this thread suggesting that the game was in some way 'fixed', it's not what i'm saying at all - I think your point about defenders getting MotM more often makes a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Equalisers / winners conceded in last 10 mins

it's occured to me that the refs in Vanarama South are terrible with this. I've lost my 25 game win streak because the ref lets 7-8 mins of extra/injury time and a corner is scored against me....10 seconds later game is called. No bias at all(I was away).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived