Utilizing a goal scoring IF

Welcome to this thread. I'm hoping you can help me build a solid tactic. The main focus of this thread is to concentrate on getting a good goal scoring return from my inside foward.

AMR, Inside Forward, Alexis Sanchez

tT31I9q.png

Key Points

- Great Acceleration

- Magnificent Movement OTB, Work Rate & Bravery

- Good Finishing

- Comfortable Playing with The Ball

- Complimentary PPM's (Currently training places shots)

With the above in mind, I will play him as an Inside Forward, Attack. He will be instructed to 'Close Down More' in a bid to harass the opposition and 'Roam From Position', in a bid to receive the ball with time to compose himself.

I am also thinking..

- The rest of the team needs to be set-up accordingly to give Sanchez as much space as possible to run into.

- Said space needs to be in front of him so that he can take advantage of his pace and movement.

To give him the space, I will be looking for the Trequarista & Full Back to give the defenders something to think about. As such I have given the Full Back a 'Wing Back, Attack' duty and the PI 'Stay Wider'.

As for the space being in front of Sanchez, I DO NOT want to play around with the ball high up the pitch as that will give him less room to work with. I am all for retaining possession, but I don't want to be doing it high up the pitch. I will be starting with a Standard mentality as I feel control will limit the space and Counter will concede too much possession. I have set the team shape to 'Fluid' and added the Team Instructions 'Shorter Passing' and 'Play Out Of Defence' in the hope that these will encourage greater ball retention in the build up phase.

I am imaging the two Central Midfielders to be the players who will be playing Sanchez through mostly and as such will try to use Player Instructions to encourage them to be a little more direct.

FcQeggM.png

So this is the set up I have come up with. I have added the team instructions 'Close Down More' and 'Push Higher Up' to encourage us to win back possession quickly, however I am wary that pushing up will limit space further up the field. I need the players to understand somehow that we can take our time and retain the ball deep before we play it forward quickly. 'Low Crosses' naturally because we dont possess height. Below are all the Player Instructions.

Szczesny

Sweeper Keeper, Defend

- Pass It Shorter

- Fewer Risky Passes

- Distribute To Specific Team Mate (Chambers)

- Distribute Quickly

Typical Sweeper Keeper in keep possession mentality really. Quick distribution to Chambers who can then decide whether to play it safe or play a quick counter.

Clyne

Full Back, Support

- Run Wide With Ball

With such an attacking mentality down the left I wanted this side to be a bit more solid. The PI is to encourage him to stretch the pitch where possible when in possession.

Jones

Central Defender, Stopper

- Pass It Shorter

Out of the two CB's this is the main ball winner, he wants to win it before the opposition striker has had time to turn. Plays it short to more technical players.

Calum Chambers

Ball Playing Defender, Defend

Gifted defender, given the license decide whether to play it short or initiate a counter.

Gibbs

Wing Back, Attack

- Cross Aim Near Post

- Stay Wider

WB in the FB position. This guys main priority is to get the opposition full back thinking. He needs to stretch the pitch as much as possible to drag that full back out wide.

Gil Romero

Anchor Man, Defend

- Pass it Shorter

Important protection for the CB's who may become exposed by the high line and attacking left back. With this guy in front of them the CB's should have a little less to worry about in front of them.

Ramsey

Box-To-Box Midfielder, Support

- Close Down More

- More Direct Passes

This guy will be up and down the middle, has a lot of work to do and will essentially offer a late option on the edge of the box. More Direct Passes encouraged in a bid to get those balls through to Sanchez.

Wilshere

Advanced Playmaker, Support

- More Direct Passes

- Cross Less Often

Perhaps less movement than his midfield counterpart but this guy is the main guy controlling the middle.

The Ox

Winger, Attack

- Close Down More

- Cross Aim Far Post

Should stretch that side of the pitch nicely and yes, hes crossing for Sanchez!

Sanchez

Inside Forward, Attack

- Close Down More

- Roam From Position

Encouraged to find as much space for himself as possible.

Aguero

Trequartista

Wasn't sure on this role really! Hoping he and the midfield duo will play quick passes to one another whilst Sanchez occupies the space in behind.

And that is me done for tonight, I will be posting the first lot of results tomorrow but in the mean time please pick my tactic apart. I want to know what is so wrong about it!

Thank you for reading.

Nice thread, very well thought through. This is what I am also trying to do in my Arsenal save with Sanchez and Depay on the left.

Some thoughts;

Maybe distributing the ball to Gibbs would be better so he can quickly move forward and play it further up to a 'roamed and found space' Sanchez?

With 'Close down More' on I would be tempted to tell my central defenders to close down less, but thats just the way I like to play, I dont like them being too agressive

With the striker role - this is an interesting one. Will a T/a get in Sanchez's way? He is supposed to float in the gap between D and Mids sort of where we want Sanchez to run. On the flip side his role is about supply, so he should play Sanchez through a bit. I guess you could tinker with a supply role like you are or a AF/a role where we tell Aguerro to push the D deeper by playing off their shoulder, this gives Sanchez a chance to play Aguerro through or if the D retreats it gives Sanchez room to run.

Great Idea setting Ox to 'cross to far post' I hadnt even thought about that, thats a great tip, thank you. BTW how awesome is Ox as a W/a - total beast.

What's the rationale behind Sanchez closing down more?

I'd be tempted for him to close down less or much less, so that when the ball breaks from the midfield or defence, from a failed opponent attack he would be in more space and not up against the player he is looking to mark. Just a thought anyway.

If you want to cross to far post, I'd remove low crosses. It's got a little feel of over congestion in the middle about it , but overall it's a pretty standard set up. I think Sanchez is just made to be a Roamdaughter, or whatever it is called.

Nice thread, very well thought through. This is what I am also trying to do in my Arsenal save with Sanchez and Depay on the left.

Some thoughts;

Maybe distributing the ball to Gibbs would be better so he can quickly move forward and play it further up to a 'roamed and found space' Sanchez?

With 'Close down More' on I would be tempted to tell my central defenders to close down less, but thats just the way I like to play, I dont like them being too agressive

With the striker role - this is an interesting one. Will a T/a get in Sanchez's way? He is supposed to float in the gap between D and Mids sort of where we want Sanchez to run. On the flip side his role is about supply, so he should play Sanchez through a bit. I guess you could tinker with a supply role like you are or a AF/a role where we tell Aguerro to push the D deeper by playing off their shoulder, this gives Sanchez a chance to play Aguerro through or if the D retreats it gives Sanchez room to run.

Great Idea setting Ox to 'cross to far post' I hadnt even thought about that, thats a great tip, thank you. BTW how awesome is Ox as a W/a - total beast.

I like the idea of playing the ball out from the back and if necessary I dont want the players to rush it, however when they finally do transition into attack then it should be a quick transition. My thinking is that whilst the ball is being retained in deep positions, Gibbs can focus on getting further forward off the ball.

I will keep an eye on the center backs, I havnt really used anything other than CB(D) properly before!

With Aguero, I think I am trying to achieve something similar to Messi a few seasons ago. I figure if he can come deep and combine with the central midfielders and few high tempo passes and Sanchez will have a free pass in behind.

I agree, in my previous tactic The Ox has been amazing, leading the way with assists!

What's the rationale behind Sanchez closing down more?

I'd be tempted for him to close down less or much less, so that when the ball breaks from the midfield or defence, from a failed opponent attack he would be in more space and not up against the player he is looking to mark. Just a thought anyway.

This is a good point, perhaps I will just set his closing down back to default for the time being for some middle ground.

Great post. I enjoyed reading. The first thing I would say is to play a few games and see how you go. There is no better way to find out what works and what doesn't.

Regarding the team on the whole

Overall the system looks good. You've got a solid defensive structure, width from Gibbs and Ox, a good midfield set up and penetration up front.

I see 3 potential weaknesses:

1. No attack role in midfield.

2. No support role in attack.

3. The trequartista will not close down, giving your opponent comfortable time on the ball.

This may cause your attack to become isolated from midfield and slightly disjointed overall.

Complete Forward (Support) with Run Wide with Ball and Move to Channels operates with similar movement to the Trequartista but also closes down when you don't have the ball. I also prefer not having the striker as a playmaker so he scores more. If you'd like a playmaker, False 9 does the trick.

Ramsey is also a great candidate for a Central Midfield (Attack) role. His off the ball, composure and finishing means he can be lethal. Wilshere is a more than adequate playmaker.

Here is an example of my 4-3-3 set up:

Arsenal433a.png

Regarding the inside forward

I am currently enjoying the form of my life with Arsenal, first season. Cazorla is my Inside Forward (Support) and here are his stats:

Cazorla.png

I tried to get Cazorla and Sanchez to form a fluid Henry-Pires type attack in the following shape and it really worked:

Arsenal442.png

FcQeggM.png

IMO it would be better to play Aguero as DLF-support or as F9 if you want some playmaking from him. This way Sanchez would have more space to move to. Also, since you want Sanchez roaming, you can experiment with playing him as Raumdeuter.

In addition, since you are using a Winger-attack on the right, then I would make Ramsey a CM-attack. It will give your attack more movement up front and combination plays for Aguero with different runners from deeper positions.

Archived