How do I get the best out of Di Maria in my current setup?

So I've been a lurker on these forums for quite sometime now, but figured it was about time to come out of hiding and try to participate to this great forum instead of just snatching all your knowledge while not giving anything in return ;)

I'm currently playing with Man Utd using this setup:

Wp3OuGj.jpg?1

With the following instructions:

Shorter passing

Play out of defence

Play wider

Close down more

Be more expressive

The idea obviously is to take advantage of the abundance of technically proficient midfielder in Man Utd's squad by playing a narrow formation focusing on passing the ball around waiting for the right opportunity to arise. And it has work a charm, honestly, winning me all but one game during my first 3 months in charge. The only problem is that I cannot seem to get Di Maria to perform properly in this setup. Sure, he's been playing all right and delivering solid ratings in the 7,1 - 7,3 region, but he hasn't yet provided any assists and/or goals and I would really like to see him having a bigger impact on the games. Besides the Roaming Playmaker role I'm currently playing him in, I've also tried him as a CM - A both with and without PI's to make him act as a "central winger", to a limited succes.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get him more involved? How have you utilised him (and with which results)? Also if you spot any other flaws or things that you might think could become a problem in my tactic, feel free to share it - I'm more than happy to take advice :)

As a roaming playmaker I'd want him to play killer balls into the Adv playmaker and 2 strikers,so More direct passes and More risky passes and run wide with the ball seeing as he has a good cross on him.

Having said that i'm not sure which PI's are acive with the RPM???

Those are good suggestions, will definitely try them out. I had actually already considered the Run Wide With Ball for Di Maria, but was afraid he would take Shaw's space on the left flank then. Something to keep an eye on, I guess.

@Double0Seven How have you played Di Maria as the central winger? In which setup and with which instructions? When I tried to use him as such - with instructions to Get Further Forward, Run Wide With Ball and Dribble More - he seemed to just push up too high and get in the way of the AP-A (who has performed much better since I changed Di Maria to RPM).

• 2 weeks later...

I've put your advices to use during the last 5-10 matches and seen some improvement in Di Maria's perfomances, so thank you very much! I'll still have to tinker a bit with things to get him even more involved, but for now it looks promising.

The RPM is not ideal role for Di Maria's PPMs. Read the in-game description of the role. RPM is ideal for players like Fabregas. I'm managing ManU as well and used Di Maria as W(a/s), AP(a) and IF(s).

Yeah, I know. My initial idea was also to use him as a Winger(A/S) on the left hand side to make use of his speed and great crossing or as an IF(s) on the right hand side sort of like he played during his first time at Real Madrid, where he would cut in a make a lot of assists. This would of course be in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation, but I figured that United's current set of players did not quite fit that formation, which is why I opted for a 4-3-1-2 in the first season and used him in central midfield instead. But my plan is to bring in players for a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation during the summer and give it a go.

I used the same formation with United in my first season, won the premier league and FA cup.

Di Maria was a CM-A the entire season for me. Scored 10 and assisted 10. Brilliant stuff from him. I recommend making the change to CM-A, it suits him quite well

Will definitely give that a try. I actually had him as CM-A to begin with, but I did not feel he contributed enough in that role and at the same time he was occupying the AP(A) and the DLF(S)'s space and conjesting the middle. Now that I have moved the DLF(S) to the other side and added Roam From Position to the AP(A), this might be less of a problem though and Di Maria might have a better chance of shining in that role.

I assume he was played on the left hand side of your 3-man midfield. Did you use any PI's for him, e.g. Run Wide With Ball or Get Further Forward? And would you somehow adjust the rest of the team to fit this change?

Give him the PI 'run wide with ball' and make him a central winger as per Real last year. Will be sick.

I really like the idea of playing him as a central winger bursting forward from central midfield with the ball at his feet and causing all sorts of trouble for the opposition. But the thing is that I already have Run Wide With Ball enabled for him, and, combined with the RPM role which should in theory allow him plenty of roaming and dribbling, he should act a bit like that. Would you reckon I need to change him to a CM(A) to make it work better? And are there any other PI's you would give him, e.g. Dribble More or Get Further Forward?

Archived