Susceptible to inconsistent dread in a another country

Oops, one a too many in that title...

When my scouts unearth talent with the potential to be star or world class players I tend to shy away from those who struggle with big matches, consistency or adapting to life in another country.

But should I? I'm guessing they relate to hidden pressure, consistency and adaptability stats.

Can these issues be improved upon? if so, then how?

I'd throw injury proneness into the mix as well but I assume that doesn't really change.

So, do you buy players with these issues? Do they blight promising careers or, with the right management, do the players mature and come good?

To an extent its somewhat tactical. For a central defender for example you really don't want someone who struggles in big games or is inconsistent, but Marko Arnautovic is an inconsistent player who has quite poor mental stats but still he was fantastic as an inside forward for me. Still, I sold him at the end of my first season for £13.5m purely because I knew what the mental side of his game was like, but certainly if they're not in a role where you must have dependency then you can afford to have something of a luxury player there.

Good point Santy, especially as I'm currently looking at two potentially world class regen full backs, one of whom is inconsistent and the other dreads big games. Perhaps not the best place in the team for flawed mentals.

Still, I would like to know if anybody has improved a low pressure player, maybe by using an iron-willed tutor or something like that. Or does playing them in big games help them get used to it? Or even make it worse if you use the wrong team-talks? Does a consistent tutor improve an inconsistent player? Same with an adaptable tutor?

Or are those hidden stats pretty much set in stone at the start of the game?

The doesn't like important matches weakness isn't a major problem. It gets better if you play him in important matches and eventually it won't show on his report.

I had a top regen with that weakness and he ended up scoring winning goals in champ league and World Cup finals.

It's not ideal but you should be able to improve it to an extent where it isn't an issue.

Thanks baboyray, that is good to know and it explains why doesn't like important matches has just disappeared from the scout report on one of my top targets. I have never noticed that happen before and would have been doing a bit of head scratching without your timely post. Incidentally, his problems with living abroad seem to have gone too.

I never sign players with poor consistency. Too much faffing around. A lower potential player with higher consistency will be more valuable to the team.

The important matches one doesn't matter so much to me, but only if they have incredible potential.

Thanks Auqakuh, inconsistency certainly puts me off, especially when I'm investing big money.

Is it that it is difficult to improve or it cannot be improved?

Consistency can improve over time, but in my experience it isn't quick. If you have a 16 yo regen, for example, you might see the inconsistent drop off his report by 21 or 22. Then again, some players never improve in that. If you have time and patience to develop the player and don't need him as a first team regular, it is worth seeing if it improves.

Thanks Dr. Hook. It does seem a worrying flaw and probably one to be avoided in most cases.

Does anybody know if the only way to improve consistency (if at all) is by playing, patience and waiting or can a consistent tutor have an effect?

Patience is the only way sadly.

With regards to whether or not you should make changes depending on these mental traits, I guess it depends on who you'd be using instead. If your replacement would have just as good stats, or maybe partially below, then I would say it would be a good move. However, there's no point bringing on a useless player who has good mentals if he's not at the same sort of level as the guy he's replacing.

All of this is pretty obvious, though.

Thanks Cleon.

That is unfortunate. I take it then that tutoring has no effect upon adaptability or pressure either?

No, those things are just like consistency, big games, etc.

Archived