FM 15: Ipswich Town FC - The Tractor Boys

Prongsie92

Here is my history

Season 1 - 2nd in the Championship - League Cup Semi Final

Season 2 - 9th in the Prem - FA Cup 1/4 Final

Season 3 - 10th in the Prem - FA Cup 1/4 Final - WON League Cup

Season 4 - 7th in the Prem - Lost in Europa League quarter final on penalties

It's going quite well, have had some decent signings and sales, 2 big profits on Connor Mahoney (£6m from Blackburn, £20m to Arsenal) and Tom Carroll (£4m from Spurs, £15m to Saints)

I've played a fairly consistent 3412 formation and my current team is:

----------------------------Sam Johnstone----------------------------

--------Matt Spear ®----Danny Batth----Harry Maguire-----------

Miroslav Stevanovic----Luke Hyam--Josh McEachran----Jack Collison

----------------------------------Dave McGoldrick---------------------

-----------------------Joe Mason--------Ji-DongWon-------------------

Hi there i've just started my Ipswich save and wondering Peter whats ur line up with the APEX PREDATOR tactic as thats the one I'm using? I've only managed to acquire C.Eagles so far as only just started. Trying to keep as close as to the real Ipswich team but having a little trouble as McGoldrick and Smith want to leave

First choice / Second Choice. Everyone under 21 sent out on loan, the others sold. Managed to get 700k for Vesseli!

GK - Hansen / Gerken

DL - Parr / Mings

DCL - Smith / Blackett (on loan)

DCR - Berra / Chambers

DR - Vilsvik / Hewitt

ML - Stevanovic / Hunt

MCL - Hyam / Tabb

MCR - Collison / Skuse

MR - Eagles / Anderson

SCL - McGoldrick / Sanogo

SCR - Murphy / Sammon

Started a save with Ipswich, signed Wilson from Hearts because I was planning 3 at the back but I have abandoned that now. Also signed Denis Stracqualrsi and Marnick Vermijl.

3 at back was a disaster so changed to a direct, high tempo 4-4-2 to get the use out of the strikers, working very well with McGoldrick dominating as a target man

Anyone had a new stadium? Since I've been in the Prem I've had 'Build new stadium' progress bar in the board tab, it's been at Planning since 2015 (now 4th sept 2017) with a completion date of 2019..........now from previous FM memory I thought it went through about 2 years of planning, then the build started and lasted the final 2 years?

4 years for planning would seem ALOT? Esp as I'd need another 2-3 for the build! I do wonder what size it would be as I only seem to get 26-28k at home games, and 18k of that is season tickets. (you'd hope for better given we are now an established europa league side)

Anyone had a new stadium? Since I've been in the Prem I've had 'Build new stadium' progress bar in the board tab, it's been at Planning since 2015 (now 4th sept 2017) with a completion date of 2019..........now from previous FM memory I thought it went through about 2 years of planning, then the build started and lasted the final 2 years?

4 years for planning would seem ALOT? Esp as I'd need another 2-3 for the build! I do wonder what size it would be as I only seem to get 26-28k at home games, and 18k of that is season tickets. (you'd hope for better given we are now an established europa league side)

I've got the Bobby Robson Arena being built now, the planning took a few years and then the stadium started on 22 May 2018 with a completion date of 20 June 2020, currently game date is 30 November 2018....

Capacity will be 41,888

Oh what a great name for it! Shame it's relatively small, prob cost alot? - also will maybe only expand to 60k?

I've got a pretty decent young squad now, I spent big (10m) this summer on a regen CB from Ajax, he was 18 with 17 tackling, 16 marking and other good stats, he should be a top CB in 2 years time, so now I'm well covered with a good prospect/player in most positions now - Babacar and Moura are a good front pairing.

I hope to make the CL soon, be nice to get into being a CL regular as I need the money now - even though my wage bill is only £570k a week (prob one of the lowest in the league) and I've finished in the Europa league places 2 years running - I'm still only at 17m in the bank and barely making a profit month to month.

It's harder to have a conveyor belt of talent now as harder to spot gems, plus they are harder to buy - and it's hard to sell anyone!

Oh what a great name for it! Shame it's relatively small, prob cost alot? - also will maybe only expand to 60k?

I've got a pretty decent young squad now, I spent big (10m) this summer on a regen CB from Ajax, he was 18 with 17 tackling, 16 marking and other good stats, he should be a top CB in 2 years time, so now I'm well covered with a good prospect/player in most positions now - Babacar and Moura are a good front pairing.

I hope to make the CL soon, be nice to get into being a CL regular as I need the money now - even though my wage bill is only £570k a week (prob one of the lowest in the league) and I've finished in the Europa league places 2 years running - I'm still only at 17m in the bank and barely making a profit month to month.

It's harder to have a conveyor belt of talent now as harder to spot gems, plus they are harder to buy - and it's hard to sell anyone!

The bank loan for it was £107m - seems a bit needless for a limited increase in capacity - loan is £959k per month. I think there was a sponsorship for £107m too so total cost was £214m.

I've only been buying Uk/Irish players (Ji has a 2nd nationality....and Stevanovic as my first signing...) but I think if I want to get into the Champions League I'll have to expand to buying foeigners as promising English kids are just so expensive - £10m plus for players who have barely played a game!

Hmmm £1m a month does out any profit from it really! Hopefully you can increase the fanbase and get it up to 50-60k.

Agree too much money, I've picked up some gems from Argentina fairly cheap. My tip is to get as many scouts as possible and scout:

- English prem, dutch league, Spanish league, Italian league, French League, Turkish league

- All of the above u19 leagues

- Brazil & Argentia League and youth leagues

- U19 & u21 euro champ qualification

Plus some manual scouting.

Just started a game with Ipswich. Seeing as half the team is injured from the start, I went and loaned the following: Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Ryan Mason (Tottenham), Unai Lopez (Athletic Bilbao) and Shane Ferguson (Newcastle). Still looking for a left-back. The pre-season has started off with some mixed results. Legia came to Portman Road and beat us 4-2. Then Zulte Waregem came to play, and they were beaten 6-0, before Go Ahead Eagles were defeated by 2-0. Still three friendlies to go, but the form is getting better by the match. Only thing now, is to find a left-back and possibly a striker for under £1,3 million combined.

Just started a game with Ipswich. Seeing as half the team is injured from the start, I went and loaned the following: Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Ryan Mason (Tottenham), Unai Lopez (Athletic Bilbao) and Shane Ferguson (Newcastle). Still looking for a left-back. The pre-season has started off with some mixed results. Legia came to Portman Road and beat us 4-2. Then Zulte Waregem came to play, and they were beaten 6-0, before Go Ahead Eagles were defeated by 2-0. Still three friendlies to go, but the form is getting better by the match. Only thing now, is to find a left-back and possibly a striker for under £1,3 million combined.

Get Ruben from Maritimo for LB. Does a job in the Premiership too. So cheap and consistent.

Jonny Parr is a very good left back and Mings a good back up, not sure that is a position I'd be targetting

Agree, Parr is v good, Mings fine as a backup.

Something odd happened on my save.............so I had a new stadium in the planning phase for a couple of years, with a completion date of 2020 or 2021 I think (currently end of season in May 2018), and suddenly it's just vanished from the board tab......and I cannot see it anywhere in the new requests either.

This is strange and reminds me of FM14's stadium bug :(

I'm going to holiday the game and see what happens.

With mine the new stadium was in planning phase for a couple of years and then just announced that it would be happening with all costs etc.

Maybe you didn't need stadium at the end, that they'd done the planning and realised it wasn't viable? Might be worth a board request to see what they say.

Ah there was a random gap then they announced it 'Sir Alf Ramsey Park' - would have preferred a nob to Bobby but will take that still - better than JJB arena or something :D.

41,188 capacity and a cost of £107m - seems cheap to me! The loan will cost £897k a month until 2028 - if I can settle as a CL regular that would be manageable. Now I have a good squad I will look to sell players on repayments so that will help the monthly balance sheet. I just made the CL for the 1st time.

I just pray it can expand to something decent! I love a big stadium on FM, really helps the coffers!

Ah there was a random gap then they announced it 'Sir Alf Ramsey Park' - would have preferred a nob to Bobby but will take that still - better than JJB arena or something :D.

41,188 capacity and a cost of £107m - seems cheap to me! The loan will cost £897k a month until 2028 - if I can settle as a CL regular that would be manageable. Now I have a good squad I will look to sell players on repayments so that will help the monthly balance sheet. I just made the CL for the 1st time.

I just pray it can expand to something decent! I love a big stadium on FM, really helps the coffers!

I think that is exactly the same as mine but with a slightly lower repayment. I am in CL for first time this season - my group is Barcelona, Ajax and AC Milan so getting out of that will be very tough!

Oh blimey, that is one tough group! Can prob get home wins vs AC and Ajax with a little luck, maybe a draw away at those too, but 8 points probably won't be enough to qualify.

I've beaten Ajax at home, and got stuffed 7-2 in the Camp Nou....I'll take that as a start

You might be right... Leftback probably isn't the first choice in getting in. I've loaned in 4 midfielders, since there were loads of injuries and missing players there. I might save my £1,3 million for january, but if the right striker comes along, I'll have to buy, seeing as McGoldrick is unhappy and wants to join Sunderland.

A backup RB is needed at the start, or one who is more of a complete wing back if you like playing that role (As I do).

You may remember I signed Lucas Moura for £13m in somewhat of a coup for the club, well 18 months later and UTD have come in for him, I negotiated up to 40m, 210m upfront 30m over 24 months which suits my plans and covers the stadium loan payments until I move in, result! Replaced him with an pretty good player (not as good but pretty solid) for £8m.

Signed a RB from sporting 'Cedri' or something for £8m who looks v good. Just lining up a club record 16m signing of a Brazilian CM, has v solid stats across the board.

Hello All,

Thought i'd also post my Ipswich season on here, particularly as it has turned out to be a positive first season!

14/15 Season

Finished: 1st (p46, w30, d11, l6, 96gf, 48ga, 95 pts)

Despite losing 3-2 to Naaaarwich, we smashed the league, even though we managed 3 wins from our last ten matches. Watford finshed second, and our neighbours up in Norfolk won promotion by beating Derby 2-1 in the play-off final. We reached the 1/4's of the FA Cup, beating West Brom and from the prem, before succumbing to Liverpool 3-0. My favourite match however, was the return fixture at Carrow Road: down to 10 men, backs against the wall stuff, we scored from a pen (evened the numbers up too) on 79 mins. One of the first times I have felt genuine proudness playing FM.

Macgoldrick was class, with 27 league goals and 10 assists, regularly playing AMC.

Murphy bagged 24 goals too.

Mings, Berra, Eagles, Macgoldrick and Murphy all made team of the year too! Oh, and needless to say, I won Manager of the Year!

In terms of transfer, I spent nothing on the following:

Permanent:

- Chris Eagles: 41(1) apps, 12 goals and 13 assists, 7.21 ave rating (Won Champ player of the year)

- Fran Merida: 19(18) apps, 1 goal, 9 assists

- Mikele Leigertwood

- Sean St. Ledger

Loans:

- Jack Grealish (all season):22(11) 3 goals, 8 assists, 6.88 ave.

- Leigh Griffiths (Jan15-Jan16): 6(8) apps, nothing else!

- Alan Dzargov (bit of a coup!) (Jan15-Jun15): 10(3), 2 assists, 6.81 ave (I will note his passing rate was 84%. He ran some games with 100+ passes)

I sold Skuse for £1.6m and Anderson for £750k.

For the majority of the season, i played 4-2-3-1, which worked until teams played quick counter attack against me (about 30 games into the season, after I went top). Then switched to a conventional 4-1-2-2-1 with inside forwards. Clean sheets and away wins began to arrive more regularly, although we suffered more home draws.

15/16 Season

As soon as I gained promotion, I began scouting, but only made bids after I'd won the league.

So far, I have signed:

Jordan Rhodes: £2.8m rising to £3.5 (Blackburn got relegated (JR scored 24 goals too). QPR were interested, but never put a bid in! Will be on £25k/wk though...

Delle Alli: £3m great potential and had a good season in League 1.

Jason Steel: £575k. Need gk's as Gerks is simply not good enough, and Bart is not of high enough standard for prem.

Fernando Pacheco: Free from R.Madrid. Another goalkeeper to rival Steel for no1 shirt. I may send one out on loan for the season...

Dennis Praet: Free. Got the contract offer in early and bingo! Comes with a 5 star potential, as does Alli. Both gk's have 4.5 potential.

More options out wide are needed, and a DM too...

Oh blimey, that is one tough group! Can prob get home wins vs AC and Ajax with a little luck, maybe a draw away at those too, but 8 points probably won't be enough to qualify.

Got out of my CL group with 9 points - 2 wins, and 3 draws (including my reserves getting a point against Barca in last game) - am currently 2nd on New years Day and season is going well, have struggled for signings keeping my UK & Irish rule but am sticking to it. Have picked up some really promising youngsters that are either out on loan or as wonderkids in the first team, here is my 1st and 2nd XI ® is Regen, (I) is full international, © is player who was in my Championship side in the first season, plenty of continuity:

GK - Sam Johnstone (I - Eng)/Jordan Richardson ®

DC - Matt Spear (R, I - Eng)/Tommy Smith (C, I - NZ)

DC - Danny Batth/George Fowler (From youth academy at start)

DC - Harry Maguire/Zak Jules (I - Scotland)

CM - Luke Hyam ©/Jordan Rossiter

CM - Josh McEachran/Aaron Kuhl

RW - Liam Jones (R, I - Eng)/George Byers (I- Scotland)

LW - Jack Collison ©/Miroslav Stevanovic (C, I - Bosnia)

AM - Rowan Presland (R, I -Eng)/David McGoldrick (C, I - RoI)

ST - Danny Ings (I-Eng)/Ji Dong Won (I - SK)

ST - Joe Mason (I - RoI)/Ricky Cullen ®

A lot of those were silly prices, the centre half from Southampton was £14m!

I picked up Presland for £1.2m as he came through at Birmingham, another good one from Port Vale.....got lucky with Jones, they wanted silly money but his contract ran down so got him for £350k.

When I get my academy recruits come in I go to every other club and scout through all of theirs, takes an age but is best way to uncover anyone that you may get on the cheap.

EDIT - And Hyam just always plays well, was player of year first 3 seasons and is now a club icon, there's a kid at Villa I am trying to sign that will replace him but can't get the deal tie up.

March 13th = the day all english teams get their youth recreuitment batch. You can go to the league you want, click transfers, then sort it by 'youth intake' - now you can approach players to nick them on compensation deals - to be fair most won't be interested in talking to you.

However if you get some that are, you can offer them a contract (make it fairly good to swing the favor in your direction) and then quickly scout them - as you can delay the transfer a week that helps!

IT takes some time to look through, and as you can't see many stats its hard, I tend to look for those with high determination and a high value. (i.e 100k+)

I had a good run at the title but ultimately fell short - finishing 2nd by a few points to Man United. Won the Carling Cup (3rd time), got smashed in FA Cup Final by Liverpool and lost to PSG 4-2 on aggregate in the Champions League quarter final.

My new stadium is costing me though, it's been delayed until 30th October and despite the lowest potential board expectation being 'Title Challenger' I was only given a budget of £7m to spend.

I've decided not to sell anyone because with the way I recruit there aren't enough replacements but Man City met my star strikers release clause of £45m. he was the European Golden Boy last year, not bad for someone I picked up for £1.2m as a 16 year old!

Wow nice one fairsy! Amazing given you are using local talent! I find its VERY hard to predict who will turn out good now, I spent £6m on a brazilian CM who looked v promising during my first season in the opren, but he really hasn't kicked on (despite playing loads) and is now 5th choice.

I've just signed another south american CM though who my scouts state has 'world class potential' - 1st time I've seen this in this version of FM :)

Wow nice one fairsy! Amazing given you are using local talent! I find its VERY hard to predict who will turn out good now, I spent £6m on a brazilian CM who looked v promising during my first season in the opren, but he really hasn't kicked on (despite playing loads) and is now 5th choice.

I've just signed another south american CM though who my scouts state has 'world class potential' - 1st time I've seen this in this version of FM :)

It's not all successes....! I've spent £3-4m on players that look class and have great reports and have barely played for first team before being almost given away at the end. I just have every single one of my scouts look at them to check them out and hope it works.

I've had to re-assess and start looking at the foreign market -n bought in an Argentinian wonderkid for £14m and a Brazillian youth keeper for £3m.

Just could not get anyone at a decent price to replace Presland....and while I finished 2nd last year ahead of Man City they have just spent £120m on 3 players so need to get some players in to not be weaker. Won 4 out of 4 so far this season.

Still a 3412 which I have had all the way through

Sweeper Keeper

Centre back

Limited Defender

Centre back

Wide Midfielder

Advanced Playmaker

Ball Winning Midfielder

Wide Midfieder

Trequartista

False 9

False 9

I had to start my game again as got a new pc. Preseason went well winning all my 5 matches. I lost the first game of the season against Fulham but since then I am unbeaten in the league (6 games) sitting 3rd and through to the 3rd round of league cup where I have drawn Norwich. Already beaten them in the league 4-2. I'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1 so my 1st choice line up is:

GK:Barts

RB:Chambers

CB:Berra

CB:Blackett

LB:Parr

DM:Skuse

CM:Hyam/Bishop

CM:Collison

AMR:Eagles

AML:Grealish

SC:Murphy

I've got Blackett, Grealish and Bonazzoli on loan for the season. And Grealish, Collison and Murphy have been excellent. Chambers & McGoldrick both wanted to leave but as no bids came in for them they've said they are now happy to stay. I've only sold Tommy Smith as he wanted to go to Crystal Palace. The game of the season so far was I was 2-0 down to Derby and Collison then got sent off. I changed my tactic for last 25 mins to Mr Hough's tactic and came back to draw 2-2.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally won the league with ITFC in 2022/23 season - at an absolute canter! Only disappointment was I lost at Stamford Bridge on last day of season which meant I only equaled the premiership points record (95) rather than broke it!

P38 W30 D5 L3 F129 A48 - Pretty good season!

• 4 weeks later...

Good going! What tactic are you using?

I've moved to another save but will return to town at somepoint, I'd made them into a good CL side, a top 4 regular in Prem, stadium (new) being expanded now to 50k.

Hard to find world class players though which is what I need to take the team to a title winning side.

• 2 months later...

Just started an Ipswich save - reason being, I was Schalke (Gelsenkirkchen!) and bought Mings, Matt Clarke, George Fowler and Bishop for my youth side and thought that Ipswich may be a good save with talent like that.

I am just approaching the end of pre-season and it has gone well, beaten FC Midtjylland and Boca, as well as a some low rated Scottish sides. Formation is a 4-2-3-1, quite narrow...but had great success with teams I have managed, lots of possession. I will put a list of signings up later today, but I have sold Gerken (Liverpool came in with a bid of 1.7million, which shocked me and managed to negotiate up to 2.4million!)

Have got Adriano coming on a free transfer, Adam Matthews from Celtic on Loan to be my Right Back and I think I have nearly secured Joe Gomez from Charlton as a promising centre back. Looking forward to this save!

• 2 months later...

How is everyone getting on? My current save was a roaming one, and I only took town over in about 2027/2028 or something, they had just been promoted from league 1. The good point was the debt was gone and they had a reasonable budget. I got them to the prem, finished 4th 1st season but lost in the CL qualifiyer however i]ve been a top 4 side for a few seasons in a row, won the FA cup, the europa league and a very dramatic champions league last year when I was 1-0 down to city in the final with 5mins to go and threw everything at them and got 2 late goals to win it, couldn't believe it!

My main problem is I spent 5 years at Liverpool slightly before i took over at town and I'd made them almost invincible, they are slowly getting weaker but at present they are a very dominant force, so the league title will be a huge ask in the near future.

My main gripe is that despite this success with Town I'm not even selling out most games, we are still at portman road with a capacity of 30k! I have a few world class players, bought a huge star signing over the summer, i've got a commercial link club in the US (and soon china) etc. Up to this season my sponsor total was 1.6m too! Now its only 14m in total, after that CL win.

Archived