Coming up against hyper aggressive sides

So I just faced Man City for the first time and holy crap I was not expecting that. I have never come against such a hyper aggressive side before. Now I see why people have complained about that (the 4231 denmark).

City dominated the match. They had the shots, they had the possession, they have everything. Except for the result (my winger scored a wonder goal to give me the 1-0 victory). Tbf, I think I got lucky (something about my initial set up must've worked to keep them at bay), but I don't like the way things went during the match.

Now I'm sure City aren't the only team who play aggressive and use an 'aggressive' formation. So I was wondering how do you go about playing teams hyper aggressive?

I actually love playing against teams that use the 4-2-3-1 Denmark. It leaves so much space on the flanks and in front of the defence and that can be easily exploited.

So how do you go about setting up your team to do that?

My third season as Liverpool manager, always having problems with City, they stole the title last season... it was astonishing how they managed to destroy me, even at home, with the 4-2-3-1 Denmark. I always thought, due to this being FM and them having extremely better players on paper, I should be on the defensive.

Well, after acquiring some firepower left and right, I figured the best way would be to fight fire with fire. So, my first game against them this season is at home, I am comfortably leading 2:0 at half time. They have 0 chances, I am pressing them high up the pitch, which requires "attacking" mentality, which would be my nightmare couple of seasons ago. Also, "pass into space" works wonders against teams who tend to be aggressive.*

Now, I am not sure what sort of players you have available, but I'd suggest working on putting the ball in space they tend to leave behind.

*continued: 5:0 as we speak, against City side that brought players like Hamsik, Marchisio, Alex O-C to the adition of arguably the best ST in game, Aguero (scored over 50 last season). Slicing them up with through balls.

I'm sure if you look around you can find thread of people who have successfully made counter-tactics. It is possible to defend against aggressive teams, and hitting them on the counter.

Usually played 4-2-3-1 back against them.

At home, we'd dominate and destroy them 5 or 6-0

Away it was the other way around.

I've not generally had much success with pass into space / exploit flanks. Really it seems the trick is to get on the front foot, because the nature of the 4-2-3-1 is that if you're on the backfoot defending, then you won't have the avenues to play the ball forward into that space anyway because your players will drop back to match up man-for-man, leaving the opposition fullbacks free to mop up any flank passes.

That's my experience anyway.

Archived