Three in the back--can't get this right!

I've been having a lot of fun playing with three central defenders, but I just can't seem to get it right! I seem to leak goals, many of them from crosses, which theoretically my three tall defenders should be able to deal with...

Here's my set-up in the back half of the field:

GK(D) - Distribute to Defenders

CD(D) - Left and Right: tackle harder, more direct passes

CD(D) - Center: no instructions

CWB(A) - Left and Right: Get forward, close down more

DLP(S) - tackle harder, close down more

DLP(D) - tackle harder

Team instructions:

Mentality: Control

Fluidity: Rigid

Instructions:

• Short passing, pass into space, play out of defense
  • Drop deep
  • Hassle opponents, tight marking
  • High tempo, Be disciplined

Any suggestions or best practices would be appreciated!

I find wingbacks (the position, not the role) to be pretty terrible in general. I'd recommend either moving them back to the fullback position but still playing them as complete wingbacks, or moving them up to wide mids and playing them as defensive wingers. The fullbacks will still get forward just as well but defend better, the defensive wingers will defend just as well, but be better going forward.

The wingback position is the worst of both worlds IMO, much like the winger positions.

I don't think, with 3 at the back, rigid is a good fluidity to have. Fluid or very fluid is better in my opinion. You also may want to have at least 1 of the defenders as a ball playing defender if you have the defenders capable of doing it. Not all 3 though. I would also take off the get forward instruction on the CWB's as they do it anyway so adding that will just make them stay forward more leaving you more exposed at the back. You have 2 DLP? only 1 is needed the other could be a CM(S) so they get the ball forward more and link up better with the more forward players keeping the ball away from the back.

I would also study the next opposition scout reports and see where your opponents are scoring and conceding goals then you can decide on CWB or pushing them up to WM or DW or indeed pushing them back into a back 5, which even though is not what you are trying to play it can still be a back 3 if the full backs are WB's or CWB's. I find WM D are very good at tracking back and getting forward giving you help in defence. All depends on how the opposition attack though. I find it's more important this version, to counter your opponents strengths and take advantage of their weakness.

Rather than playing 3 x CDs, try playing a player in the sweeper position & role. If you do this, I'd avoid having stopper CBs as the sweeper then tends to get dragged forward in my experience.

Also, having 2 x WBs on attack duty is probably leaving you vulnerable. I find one on attack duty and one on support gives a better balance as when you lose the ball your team will quickly re-establish 4 players across the back line.

I find wingbacks (the position, not the role) to be pretty terrible in general. I'd recommend either moving them back to the fullback position but still playing them as complete wingbacks, or moving them up to wide mids and playing them as defensive wingers. The fullbacks will still get forward just as well but defend better, the defensive wingers will defend just as well, but be better going forward.

The wingback position is the worst of both worlds IMO, much like the winger positions.

This was the case with the FM13 match engine but is it still the a problem with FM14? They really let this problem continue?

This was the case with the FM13 match engine but is it still the a problem with FM14? They really let this problem continue?

I don't see WBs as a problem in FM14. I think its widely acknowledged that in both FM13 and FM14 there's a problems of FBs and WBs defensive play generally, but its not specific to WBs. I think anyone can go right ahead and have a successful game with WBs, I've been doing so myself and there are plenty of people on here who have also done this.

I've never had probems with WB's on 14 or 13, the have usually been some of my best positions when I actually use them

Agreed. I like them at both DL/R and WBL/R.

Their performance isn't noticeably altered by where they are placed, but what that starting placement will do is influence the width of a back three.

I am playing with 3 CB's with Peterborough.

I am having some great success with them, we were 2nd in the first season so promoted and we just finished second in the Championship(a great season that was with a very exciting end) the next season, so back to back promotions.

Anyway I am not doing anything special with the tactics.

Standard and Balanced.

Drop deep.

Shorter passing.

Work ball into box.

Either side of my Limited Defender I have 2 Central Defenders.No special instructions.

My Wing Backs set to CWB and to get forward often.

2 CM, 1 set to DLP(D) with comes deep to get the ball, the other is a BBM(S).

2 AMC, 1 set to Trequartista(A) and the other Attacking Midfielder(S).

Then my Striker who is set to Advanced Forward(A)

Have done really well, even though last season we had a very sticky patch were in 8 games I won 2 and lost 6, still we recovered to finish 2nd.

I do not concede many goals, when we do lose it is often by the odd goal, even then we never deserved to lose. :D

The CWB's are playing really good, they seem to be at the heart of everything we do good, setting up goals and scoring quite a few.

Archived