What's the point of Personalized Player Instructions?

I'm on my first save on FM14 so maybe i'm missing something here but i can't find a good use for PPI(Personalized Player Instructions). I'm not talking about the normal PI that work for all players in that position but the PI you can set up when click "+add player" on the bottom that only work for a single individual player.

I have 2 very different left backs, one is very offensive and the other one very defensive. When using normal PI i keep having to change their role and instructions manually depending on who's playing but that's annoying. When i use PPI to give each of them their own role/instructions and it works perfect but theres a big problem: When changing tactics these PPI carry over to the other tactic! This doesn't happen with normal PI which can be different for each tactic.

That's a huge problem because if i give my attacking full back very attacking PPI in my possesion tactic but then change to a defensive tactic he keeps his very attacking PPI. The only way to make him fit in my defensive tactic is to delete his PPI and set up normal PI.

Why can't i have different PPI for each tactic?

Is it purposely like that and if yes then what's the purpose or is it just a bug/poor game mechanic(or am i really missing something)?

What do you all use PPI for?:o

Personally, I would say this sounds like a bug - especially from a usability point of view. Might be a good idea to raise the issue in the bug forum, at least you'd get an answer if it is an intended feature or not.

(The fact that it works differently than all other tactical settings would be my main bug bear!)

• 1 month later...

Bump, what is the work around you guys use

why are player instructions not changed per tactic?

No one seems to discuss this, which leads me to think I must be missing something. Maybe SI can explain what is the use of Player instructions if they must be applied as one set of instructions for ALL 3 tactics.

Yes, it is somewhat of a bug IMO. The PPIs should probably not take over when you change tactics. Yet they do. I do use them, though, sparsely, and it has come in handy for me in some circumstances. For example, in my most recent saves there are PPIs for 6 of my players in some positions.

My 2 main CBs are Central Defenders, yet I know that whenever I'm going to play one of my backups in there, I want him to be a Limited Defender, no matter which tactic. So I set this up for them. I also know that whenever I'm going to play my 1st choice right back in the DCR or DCL position, it has a specific purpose and I want him to be a BPD. Same goes for my central defender who can play at the striker position. I know that if I'm to play him there, he's gonna be a Target Man with shorter passing, hold position, dribble less, etc. I have a couple of other tweaks that I do for other players but you get the point. It enables me to make quick changes more readily.

For example, two of my tactics use a lone DM. My main tactic, and a more cautious/defensive one, to see out games. I rarely use the defensive one, but sometimes I have to against stronger teams who push a lot and are chasing the game or really intent on taking the game to us. When it happens during a game, I will often sub my 1st choice DM, who is a very good passer and also ball-winner (I use him as a BWM(D) with more risky passes)... the reason I sub him is he's too aggressive and not disciplined enough to sit deeper and play the role I want from my defensive tactic DM. So my 2nd choice DM has PPIs to be an Anchor Man, short passing, ease off tackles (something like that). What I think is good with that is, I can also play this guy in my main (more attacking) tactic if I feel I just need to keep possession a little bit more and not get caught out of position with my DM. All that without having to make all the changes every time I make the move (which is, pretty offten).

Hope this was clear, thanks.

Archived