Having major trouble with this FM. Starting again with Liverpool.

When this came out I started a semi long game for me, and got Crewe promoted to the Championship within a couple of years. By the last time I had played that save I was sitting top of the league and ready to get promoted again, but for some reason, I just got bored with it.

Since then, Ive tried a few different games but cant get into any of them, usually do to performing terribly. Can't seem to recapture any sort of tactical genius at all. Had a few Southampton saves, who I enjoyed going last year and done well with, but struggled to get out of the bottom 3 with them. Terrible.

So, Im starting a Liverpool game, and fancy making it a good long save, guiding them to the top hopefully.

Looking to see what advice I can get when it inevitably goes wrong.

So here's what im aiming to start with, obviously minus Suarez for the first month.

What immediate mistakes can people see here, if any? Or any other suggestions to go with?

Went for Stay on Feet as I dont have the best tackling skills in the league, so would rather stand people off than jump in. pass into Space and Run at Defence, because thats the way I see us playing , similar to real life, plenty through balls and dribbling in the final 3rd.

4lj782.png

Couple of things that jump out at me (as a regular Liverpool FM Manager... and fan) -

Suarez is not an AF - I generally use him as CF(S)

Liverpool press high up the pitch, so I think you can go with Hassle and a high line.

The rest I think is really up to you to experiment and come to your own conclusions.

I agree with the above post, Suarez is not an advanced forward, hes got more dimensions to his play than that. I think having your front 3 on attack duties is not a good idea. You want at least one of them to be a creator. Im not sure what Suarez and Sturridge are like on this game but I would be tempted to at least swap their positions. I think Suarez could do a lot more damage cutting in from the wings. What PPM's do they have?

When playing a control based game, you don't want too many people trying to get in and behind the defence constantly. As I can see you have 3 (AML, AMR & ST), maybe 4 (CM-A). As the others have said; I'd give Suarez a more creative role (False 9, Complete Forward, Deep-Lying Forward or Treq). Also Perhaps give Sterling a Support role, so he can link up with the midfield better. Also perhaps give Johnson an Attack role to give some link-play between the two. :thup:

So Ive changed the instructions a little to these

72pp1x.png

And had this start to the season. Fairly steady, bar a 4-1 defeat to Man Utd. Wasnt bothered about the cup.

281sak8.png

Most goals I concede are from set pieces, so need to look into that. Henderson at CM-A is an absolute beast, player of the season so far with 6 goals in 14. Constantly bombing forward which is want I want.

I cant get my strikers/IFs to score as much as I want but. Suarez only has 2 in 8, Sturridge 6 in 12. Tried all different positions/roles for them. CF-S seems to work for others for Suarez on here, but no joy for me. Tried IF sitting narrower, running more etc, but still not great. Any tips to get these 2 scoring regularly?

And my right side IF does practiclly nothing, usually Coutinho or Sterling, but dont offer much. Might need to change that up a bit too.

And id still like to be scoring more, I want to be attacking as regularly as IRL Liverpool just now, getting 4-5-6 goals a game. Possible?

Most goals I concede are from set pieces, so need to look into that. Henderson at CM-A is an absolute beast, player of the season so far with 6 goals in 14. Constantly bombing forward which is want I want.

I cant get my strikers/IFs to score as much as I want but. Suarez only has 2 in 8, Sturridge 6 in 12. Tried all different positions/roles for them. CF-S seems to work for others for Suarez on here, but no joy for me. Tried IF sitting narrower, running more etc, but still not great. Any tips to get these 2 scoring regularly?

And my right side IF does practiclly nothing, usually Coutinho or Sterling, but dont offer much. Might need to change that up a bit too.

And id still like to be scoring more, I want to be attacking as regularly as IRL Liverpool just now, getting 4-5-6 goals a game. Possible?

With a little training, I got Coutinho playing from MC as a CM(a) and was much better than Henderson in that role (even though he was very good). This allows Sterling to be on the right for a full pacey attack.

Trequartista role and Hassle Opponents Team Instruction is a poor fit. The role will, some what, ignore the instruction. Have you tried a F9?

With a little training, I got Coutinho playing from MC as a CM(a) and was much better than Henderson in that role (even though he was very good). This allows Sterling to be on the right for a full pacey attack.

Trequartista role and Hassle Opponents Team Instruction is a poor fit. The role will, some what, ignore the instruction. Have you tried a F9?

No Ive never used a F9 in any save of this. Is it any use? More movement based than actual striking? Will he still get amongst the goals?

has anyone managed to get Suarez performing like real life?

No Ive never used a F9 in any save of this. Is it any use? More movement based than actual striking? Will he still get amongst the goals?

has anyone managed to get Suarez performing like real life?

A F9 will drop deeper to pick up the ball then turn to run at defence or look for the pass. Also, it's a hard working pressing role so it will give you what you are looking for there. It's well suited for a 4-3-3. As a bonus, it's a Support role so allows the AMR/L to be on attack duties bringing more goals from them.

There is a concern that it is a role that may not score the most goals but I would argue that a F9 promotes a better team result, spreading the goals through the team rather than one player.

I always find that a lone Treq is a total waste. He's looking to play others in to goal scoring positions, yet he's the further forward player. He works best (imo) in the AMC position or with a strike partner. I'm a big fan of the DLF Support lone striker just now. Never have been in any previous versions of the game, but I feel that a DLF adds so much to an attack. DLF or CF with a Support role would be my choice. I'd have Suarez out wide though, Sturridge offers much more in the middle than on the wing and I think Suarez offers just as much from the wing as he can in the middle.

Just finished my first season in my new liverpool save with no transfers, and finished in 2nd only a point behind Man U. I used a 4-2-3-1 rather than the 4-5-1 you have, as I wanted Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, and Sterling on the pitch at the same time. It worked wonderfully with Sturridge and Sterling in the top 3 in assists, and Sturridge in the top 3 in goals scored. Overall I scored more goals than anyone else in the league comfortably.

For my 4-2-3-1's front four I had Sturridge CF(S), Coutinho T(A), Sterling IF(A) on the left, and Suarez W(S) on the right. If you insist on a 4-5-1 then I'd suggest retraining Coutinho for center mid so you can play Sterling on the left. Seriously, play Sterling as much as possible. He progresses very quickly and is simply brilliant at times.

From my experience with 14.3, 1 defending central midfielder (or DM in your case) does not seem to be enough cover for the CBs. When changing to 2 midfielders with a defend duty (I had a DLP(D) and CM(D) in center mid, no DMs, but you can adjust for your formation) I cut down on goals conceded immensely while retaining offensive potency.

Good luck, and go Reds. :thup:

Just finished my first season in my new liverpool save with no transfers, and finished in 2nd only a point behind Man U. I used a 4-2-3-1 rather than the 4-5-1 you have, as I wanted Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, and Sterling on the pitch at the same time. It worked wonderfully with Sturridge and Sterling in the top 3 in assists, and Sturridge in the top 3 in goals scored. Overall I scored more goals than anyone else in the league comfortably.

For my 4-2-3-1's front four I had Sturridge CF(S), Coutinho T(A), Sterling IF(A) on the left, and Suarez W(S) on the right. If you insist on a 4-5-1 then I'd suggest retraining Coutinho for center mid so you can play Sterling on the left. Seriously, play Sterling as much as possible. He progresses very quickly and is simply brilliant at times.

From my experience with 14.3, 1 defending central midfielder (or DM in your case) does not seem to be enough cover for the CBs. When changing to 2 midfielders with a defend duty (I had a DLP(D) and CM(D) in center mid, no DMs, but you can adjust for your formation) I cut down on goals conceded immensely while retaining offensive potency.

Good luck, and go Reds. :thup:

Good tips on the two CM's with DM roles. My defenders got their act together more when I used them as FB's instead of WB's as well. I switched my DLP back to support role when I did this and it worked a lot better.

I preferred Coutinho as AML IF(S), Suarez as AMC Treq, Sterling AMR as IF(A) and Sturridge DLF(S). Suarez and Sturridge picked up 20 goals each with Sterling knocking in 13. Coutinho wasn't so hot on the goals but had a fair few assists. Their interplay was excellent. I usually roll with a similar forward 4 for all my teams now as I like the interaction and movement that these roles create. I need to shore up my back line a bit more though.

Archived