Activate 'Fog Of War'?

• Administrators

Only players you wouldn't know about have attributes hidden, scouting them will reveal their attributes.

• Administrators

It's intended to be a quicker way to play the game. Though it was always turned on (by default) in Classic terms (going back to CM3), we discovered that this was something best turned off by default than on.

It's intended to be a quicker way to play the game. Though it was always turned on (by default) in Classic terms (going back to CM3), we discovered that this was something best turned off by default than on.

Agree 100%, I do not use it and do not like it, it slows things down.

• 1 month later...

having to unlock attribute masking is really off-putting to a certain type of long-term, hardcore football manager fanatic (admittedly, maybe we're in a small minority, but...)

the type of player who would want attribute masking is not the kind of player who would be interested in, or use, any of the other unlockable bling. these players (me for example, but i'm quite certain i'm not the only one)

as a result of this, i've owned FM2014 for months but haven't bothered to actually play it. i normally would prefer to start unemployed with no rep whatsoever and get hired into an obscure league. i started this way with 2014, signing for a team in Singapore. to my horror, i had apparently developed psychic powers: i could see deeply into the abilities of every player in Singapore in spite of having just arrived from Somalia (my manager persona is a Somali named Mohamed Abdulkadir, a tribute to my all-Mohamed-Abdulkadir squad in the late, great FML). Steam Wallet has a minimum of $5; that means i have to either pay $5 for a feature that's been in the game for as long as i can remember or unlock it. i had a go at playing a season at Barcelona figuring Messi's a good shout for player of the year but i got bored out of my mind helming a superteam that i didn't build before i even made it through preseason.

now this may seem like a protracted whinge but i think there's a serious point here: turning it off as a default is fine, but making customers who've bought every edition since CM3 pay extra for such a basic feature, one they've always used, makes no sense. i have no interest whatsoever in playing as an omniscient super-scout, so i'll probably just abandon my saves, and play something else until either a) i find some other game that will use up the rest of the five bucks i'd need to put in, or b) SI release a version in the future (2015? 2055?) that doesn't make me pay extra for something so fundamental to playing an in-depth game.

not outraged, not trying to be dramatic, just not willing to pay five bucks or play a season as Barcelona to something that's been built into the game for as long as i can remember.

• Administrators
having to unlock attribute masking is really off-putting to a certain type of long-term, hardcore football manager fanatic (admittedly, maybe we're in a small minority, but...)

the type of player who would want attribute masking is not the kind of player who would be interested in, or use, any of the other unlockable bling. these players (me for example, but i'm quite certain i'm not the only one)

as a result of this, i've owned FM2014 for months but haven't bothered to actually play it. i normally would prefer to start unemployed with no rep whatsoever and get hired into an obscure league. i started this way with 2014, signing for a team in Singapore. to my horror, i had apparently developed psychic powers: i could see deeply into the abilities of every player in Singapore in spite of having just arrived from Somalia (my manager persona is a Somali named Mohamed Abdulkadir, a tribute to my all-Mohamed-Abdulkadir squad in the late, great FML). Steam Wallet has a minimum of $5; that means i have to either pay $5 for a feature that's been in the game for as long as i can remember or unlock it. i had a go at playing a season at Barcelona figuring Messi's a good shout for player of the year but i got bored out of my mind helming a superteam that i didn't build before i even made it through preseason.

now this may seem like a protracted whinge but i think there's a serious point here: turning it off as a default is fine, but making customers who've bought every edition since CM3 pay extra for such a basic feature, one they've always used, makes no sense. i have no interest whatsoever in playing as an omniscient super-scout, so i'll probably just abandon my saves, and play something else until either a) i find some other game that will use up the rest of the five bucks i'd need to put in, or b) SI release a version in the future (2015? 2055?) that doesn't make me pay extra for something so fundamental to playing an in-depth game.

not outraged, not trying to be dramatic, just not willing to pay five bucks or play a season as Barcelona to something that's been built into the game for as long as i can remember.

Users don't have to pay for it, or many of the unlockables (except the obvious cheat ones like Magic Sponge & Morale Boost). It's very easy to unlock Attribute Masking and can be done very quickly in FMC.

It was changed to benefit the majority of users playing a streamlined mode of the game, it makes the game effectively slower to play by having Attribute Masking turned on by default.

RE: The Steam Wallet - you only pay out of that amount what is needed for a FM item (less than £1 for some of them). The rest of the money can be spent as you please, on FM items or other Steam items. It's Steam's system how money is deposited into an account, and far as I'm aware is very similar to many other online services that require a minimum deposit into a wallet.

• 1 month later...

I unlocked attribute masking in three or four months, I was playing as Goias, a small to medium team at the first division of Brazil and in Brazil clubs play state champinships before the first division, and some state championships are pretty weak so at the end of the competition my best striker was selected as best player of the competition thus unlocking attribute masking. I was really surprised, I thought only a major competition would bestow the achievment, but thanks to that I now have attribute masking unlocked in my first save less than a week after purchasing the game.

I have also recently unlocked unsackable. Does this and all other unlockables transfer to any new Classic games I choose to start? I think it'll be fun for me to start a new game as a team higher up and activate unsackable, not able to go on FM for a few days so can't check, thought I'd ask :)

• Administrators

Yes, you can turn it off in your current save too if you want to experiment or give yourself more time in a job.

As a tip to quickly access attribute masking, just run the Scottish Premier League on a small database, appoint yourself as Celtic manager and then holiday through the season. It should take no time at all and it's highly likely that one of your squad will win player of the year.

Archived