What is up with the reputation?!

Alright, I'm going mad here.

I am playing FMC with Nürnberg. I have won the Bundesliga twice in a row and also the Champions League twice in a row. I even got the triple.

But still my reputation is only at 8200, while Tottenham has 9900 even though they have only won the Euro League once since my start of the save, they haven't even won the Premiere League once (I'm in 2020)! This is ridiculous! Dortmund has seen a huge incline in reputation in the last 3 years (in real life) and Nürnberg wins the CL TWICE and still my players want to go to Tottenham because they are the most popular club in the world?!

Seriously, W.T.F.!

Is this a bug, or is this intended so I have to buy the "No Sacking" in FMC, or what?! Seriously, this is horribly annoying.

I used FMRTE to check reptutation numbers.

I hope anyone can explain this, I'm going nuts here.

Reputation takes time to be taken into account and build up. I started as a Sunday League Player, took Foggia from Serie C2/C, won C1/C and currently in Serie B, won the Italian C cup 3 times, Italian C1 Super Cup 1 time. I won the C1 Italian Manager of the Year once and shortlisted for the Italian C2 Manager of the Year once... and my reputation is only 71% and National.

My club stature has increased and in the board confidence that has gone from 50% to 73%.

Dude, sorry but winning consecutive Champions League titles is not the same as winning promotion to Serie B ;) And Tottenham's reputation rocketing up with that record simply doesn't sound right.

If I remember correctly, there was a similar bug in an earlier FM version, so you should probably report this in the bug forum, SLupo.

I am talking about club stature, not my managers reputation - the latter is already world class. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

My club stature in the board confidence is at 100 % but still I haven't unlocked the "no sacking" unlockable and still my players want to go to allegedly bigger clubs than mine. As I said, the reputation of Nürnberg is at 8200 points, while Tottenham has 9900 - and my club has been waaaay more successful than Tottenham.

/edit:

@Koki Alright, thanks for that answer! I will report it in the bug forum, thanks for the advice :)

Reputation is not just about current glories, but past ones, too. Think of it as the "club tradition", not merely the current club reputation.

It took Chelsea more than a decade to become a real force, in terms of reputation, in European football. Manchester City will probably take even longer. Both clubs suffer in real life as a result in the sense that they are forced to pay higher wages to attract higher quality players than teams with a bigger "tradition" (or reputation), just as in FM.

Also, I have to point out that Dortmund historically are one of the biggest teams in Germany (8 title wins, plus a CL title in '97)... their reputation may have grown somewhat outside of Germany in recent years because of their playing style, but it's still built on that great historic tradition that the club has.

Another way to look at it is like this: if you win things for 15 years consistently (and I don't mean everything in sight, I just mean regular success), that means that a significant number of young footballers will grow up hearing the name of your club. If you have won not very much over the last 15 years, you're not on the young players radar unless they're from your local area, your region, or your nation, depending on your level. The former means you have a great reputation. The latter means you have almost none and who would want to sign for you without great incentives to prove your ambition?

That's all well and good, but why would players want to leave a side that has just won consecutive Bundesligas and Champions Leagues to sign for a team that has won one Europa League and hasn't won its domestic league since 1961?

If this scenario played out in real life (I know, it's not real life etc), Nurnberg would be the absolute hottest property in world football, and if their key players wanted to leave abroad for whatever reason, they would be holding out for moves to Man United, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc.

Club reputation has to be more dynamic and quicker to change - consecutive Champions League titles should have the club reputation extremely high, and if you're not one of the historically successful clubs, it should also drop away quicker as soon as the fairytale ends. Not having key players leaving for a club that has won naff but has a sexier name.

Have you reported this in the bug forum, SLupo? I just checked the reputations of several clubs in the editor. While you could argue that the case of Nürnberg's rating only might need a bit balancing (Spoiler: They have risen by 2000 points to a level where Dortmund is now in real life, but they had more success), Tottenham is definitely a bug. With 9900 they have a higher rating than any club in the original database and that without winning a CL or league title. As I said, an earlier version of FM had a similar bug which most likely has found it's way back into the game.

Yes, the reputation system has had serious flaws for years. It's especially visible when you achieve unimaginable success with a small club from a small league. You can reach semis and finals of CL ten years in a row with a small Croatian/Polish/Czech etc. club and the game world still won't recognize you as a significant force. You'll constantly be tipped as outsiders in CL group stages.

I won the world cup and European championships with a major European nation that I started the game as manager of, and have had considerable domestic success as club level, yet the mighty (51st national rank in my game currently) Scotland wont even give me an interview.

Annoyingly in the same game, won ligue 1 twice in a row, and OM wouldn't offer me a wage about £9,500/week to remain at the club (existing contract salary was £12,500 and I was Very Secure), despite having £160m in the bank. Ended up resigning at the start of the last year and now managing some team in Brazil. Ronald Koeman had OM near the relegation zone after the first 10 games but he has picked them up since.

Yes, the reputation system has had serious flaws for years. It's especially visible when you achieve unimaginable success with a small club from a small league. You can reach semis and finals of CL ten years in a row with a small Croatian/Polish/Czech etc. club and the game world still won't recognize you as a significant force. You'll constantly be tipped as outsiders in CL group stages.

More than this, with a small team, (of any nation) winning major titles they were not seen as having a chance in, your favour at your club isnt through the roof for some reason, you arent a forever club legend like you would IRL. Sometimes in FM you can look at your status as being untouchable, come back after a couple of games where you may have even won them, and your only very secure, not sure how that works. Same happens with individual games, you can beat a much bigger team by a margin and still only have like 80% confidence on it, where it should clearly be 100 and everyone be ecstatic infact. There is no raving about a guy who has won titles, or even just done extraordinarily well with a smaller club. Fm lacks the whole realism factor of 'where you came from' to 'where you are now'. Even mid table EPL teams would be seen as unrealistic to win the league or even qualify for europe, but not much is said about it or commended in game.

Yes, this is another thing. The last time Nürnberg has won the German Cup, the manager (Hans Meyer in 2007) became an instant legend among the supporters. I just started another save with Nürnberg on regular FM and achieved the same success in my first season as a sunday league player and I'm not even among the favored personell. On the other hand Hans Meyer isn't either so I guess SI didn't think that winning a title for the first time in 39 years (talking about 2007) is worth being a fan favorite.

@Auqakuh: FCN is one of the historically big teams in Germany too, they have won the domestic league 9 times (second best after Bayern!). It's been a long time though (last champion in 1968, but Tottenham haven't won the title for decades either).

@Koki: Nope, still haven't posted that bug report. Will do tomorrow, I've been busy today.

Archived