CA/PA and Scout Reports

Isn't the scout report just basically a skill roll? eg: NumStars = (((1 - (PA_Judging / 20)) * (Math.random() >= 0.5 ? 1 : -1) * PA) + PA) / (MAX_PA * (1 / 5))

Or something like that?

EDIT: Non coders, so Star rating would be a guess of PA based on actual PA and the ability of the scout.

They judge star ratings based on your team's relative CA/PA. If your team's CA/PA ceiling is very high then a player who is rated "only" 4 stars might actually have massive PA. For example, if I stick Cristiano Ronaldo in a Skrill Premier side without editing any of his team mates, his star rating would be a full 5 stars while all his team mates are likely to be given max 2-3 stars because of the sheer difference between CR7 and them. On the other hand, look at Ronaldo's rating at RM and he is only rated 4/4.5 stars because he has many team mates who are near his CA/PA.

My advice is to take star ratings with a pinch of salt, its not a true indication of a player's ability on the field. Thats what attributes are for, I've bought a big Swedish DM who largely resembles Fellaini to be backup to him, my scouts told me he's decent and nothing more, apparently he plays better than Fellaini. :lol:

Personally I hate potential ability. It makes the game too easy (for me).

In real life you only see current ability. A young player with good CA is regularly perceived as having high potential. That's how the game should operate.

True, maybe some kind of new model needs to be looked into.

Isn't the scout report just basically a skill roll? eg: NumStars = (((1 - (PA_Judging / 20)) * (Math.random() >= 0.5 ? 1 : -1) * PA) + PA) / (MAX_PA * (1 / 5))

Or something like that?

EDIT: Non coders, so Star rating would be a guess of PA based on actual PA and the ability of the scout.

No, that is completely wrong.

Personally I hate potential ability. It makes the game too easy (for me).

In real life you only see current ability. A young player with good CA is regularly perceived as having high potential. That's how the game should operate.

The game does not show you actual potential at any point. The only part of the game that uses actual potential is the development system.

Every other part uses Perceived Potential Ability which, as I've already mentioned in this thread, is based on their age, current ability etc

I get that scout reports are not totally accurate for measuring players' potential and I welcome that, but I would ideally like the scout report details for youngsters reduced more, e.g rather than the stars system (which is basically 'marks out of 10'), make it 'almost certain to be a star/good chance of becoming a good player/doubtful that this boy will reach our level/he will never be good enough for us', i.e a much more vague 3 or 4 variable system when the scout first goes out to watch a player.

Maybe when the scout has seen the target player in, maybe, 5 games, this rating could then be refined and expanded into the 10-point stars system (which I agree is appropriate for rating players within the club as there would be a lot more data available for analysis). At present I think it is too exact, I don't have experience of real scouting systems but I would guess even the top teams get a very basic report on youth players to start off with and then if they are interested in a player they send the scout to watch them repeatedly if possible to get an accurate picture of their ability and therefore their potential.

I find it useful that you can do a scout report on full intake of another club's newgens the first day they 'joined the club' and be told that he has 3.5 star potential, he has 1.5 star etc, but it's not realistic. I would rather have it a bit tougher and then can feel rewarded after going to the effort of sending my scouts out to watch a guy I think looks good and find out weeks later that yes, this is the guy we need.

Archived