My tactical failure.....

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my setup, tried various different tactics and tried to keep it simple however I seem to continuously leak goals. I have many many shots against me and my possession is generally poor. Possession is one of the philosophies I have to live to as Liverpool manager.

I really wanted to put Suarez and Sturridge in the same team but I cannot let go of my favourite formation 4-1-2-2-1 so I have decided to play Sturridge as a left winger. I really need to get players to support the front 3 players but try and keep it tight at the back. I haven't used any team instructions to start with as I will use them during the game to adjust my style depending on my opponents.

So I will post my tactics below and see if you can help at all (hope so):

jwbx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, does the tactic generally look ok? What kind of changes could I make to improve its effectiveness?

Liverpool do have a really good starting squad although I feel some players are under rated, surely I should be doing reasonably well, not getting sacked before christmas. I have similar problems initially on FM13 and managed to improve on there. I just don't find it as easy as others to implement changes that are needed.

Thanks in advance peeps

You could change the AMR role to inside forward attack and move Sturridge to the right, that would suit him better. You could change the striker role to complete forward support, that might suit Suarez better too. I think that an IF on the right would be better for Glen Johnson as well, you could give him an attack role as he'll have space to move into. Coutinho on the left wing with a support duty would link up with Suarez and the CMa, which could be quite good.

What's your midfield? Lucas (DM), Allen (DLP), Gerrard (CMa)?

Wouldn't Coutinho struggle at left wing being right footed?

Not necessarily, wingers like Ribery for example can provide plenty of width despite being right footed, yet also offer a threat when they come inside.

If I put Glen Johnson on attack would you suggest putting Enrique back to full back support?

Probably, for balance.

So, I've played my first league game against Crystal Palace, won 2-1. They still managed to have 16 shots however 10 of them were long shots. The formation I have settled with is:

c3z5.jpg

The stats for the game are as follows:

6pzf.jpg

fcrs.jpg

I must say that my tactic familiarity is nowhere near at its best. So, would you tactical wizards be changing much else or stick with this and see how I go?

Who you want scoring?

Your Striker is DLF(A) which means he'll be deep supplying.... who? then he will break for the box himself after laying off a pass to..... who? If it's your wingers then he will then take time to get into the box.

Both of your wingers will be staying wide and crossing for your late arriving? solo scorer... your striker and your late CM(A)

Your DLP is going to be spring defence breaking passes to who? you striker is that like to be directly infront of him. Or your MC(A) who may present an angle.

Your complete wingback is attacking what space? I won't be the space down the left flank as your winger will be there and in a (S) role he is likely to be deeper than an attack role, however he is probably still to far forwards to present a realistic option of an overlap.

On the left side of your midfield you have an MC running a CM(A) role which means he will be attack space forwards. Your DM can cover a little of this space but you may have a gap down the left flank if your DL is pushing hard, which he will be as a CWB.

Sturridge as winger? Is sturridge really a winger? does he posses fantastic crossing skills? If he doesnt, does he possess good passing skills? No, he does, for either. Do you think he might be more suitable as an Inside Forward where his pace, off the ball skills, flair and ability to score will benefit him more? He is left footed, so as an IF(A/S) he is more suitable to the right side.

The reason I am asking the questions I am is that Im trying to get you to think about them rather than just saying "this is what I would do".

Now that my questions have been asked.... this is what I would do.

DLF(S) he will receive the ball, and then look to play others in before attacking.

AML - Winger (S/A) depending on situation and his involvement in the game.

AMR - Inside Forward (A) maybe (S) depending on similar to above.

CML - CM(A) if you have someone with good OTT and finishing skills. or AP(A) if they are good at dribbling and passing (they will run with ball, draw defence and then pass - MC(A) is unlikely to do that). As your AML is winger he will be staying wide which means there will be space for your CM(A) to attack. This would not work so well if you had an IF on the same side.

CMR - DLP(S) or (D) if you are facing strong opposition.

DM - multiple choices. If strong team with strong AMC then consider Anchor, if he has space and no opposition AMC then DLP can work nicely as he will have time and space to dictate play. But without tinkering alot. DM(D) works well and will always provide a support backpass.

DL - FB(A). The reason for this is that your winger is attacking space to the line which means there will be no space for your DL to attack. If he even tried there will be a massive amount of space behind him, so you want him providing support BUT concetrating on defence too. Thus a FB(A) does this perfectly.

DR - WB(A) your winger is IF, which means he will be cutting in and leaving space for someone to attack. This will be your RB. Your DM and right sided DLP will be covering this area if needs be.

DCL - COuld possibly be stopper to step up and cover any space between DM and DL, but normal will work

DCR - leave as normal or consider Cover if DCL is stopper. with both DC's remember that you have a covering DM infront, so you may want to consider looking at the three of them together.

Hopefully my questions to you help you understand how I would setup.

Cracking post Lam, cheers.

The problem I have is that I understand all of what you are saying but I struggle to see it lol. All of the above makes sense and considering I have just been beat 5-0 by Aston Villa there was clearly something not right.

I am not playing Sturridge as a winger, I am using him as an inside forward (a) from the right wing position.

I am leaving my centre back as CD (d) as I don't like them to push too far out of position.

I will leave my DM as a DM (d) unless I am playing a superior team to stop the AMC.

Keeping my CML as a CM (a) using Honda as my first choice.

Cheers for the in depth post, hopefully some of the changes will help me not get sacked :-)

You have your attacking midfielder on the same side of the pitch as your attacking fullback. Not only will they be fighting over the same area of the pitch, but they'll be a huge amount of space for the opposition to exploit. Try swapping your CMs over.

Have you played around with mentality at all? Or do you always leave it on standard?

From this guide: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/366111-How-to-Play-FM14-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

3: Become aware that the strategy names are more plastic than they seem.

The defensive strategy still attacks on the counter, whereas the attacking strategy can still be defensively solid. Bar the two extremes (Contain and Overload), each strategy is both defensive and attacking. A good rule of thumb is that if you want to play with a lot of deep midfielders and a short passing game, choose a less attacking strategy, whereas if you want to have high, effective wingers and a direct style, choose a more attacking strategy.

If you want to play possession football, and also bolster your defence a bit (which seems to be causing you problems), you may want to try out the counter strategy. Its good for keeping possession since the tempo is low, width is narrow, passing is shorter, and your players are closer together, yet it counters quickly and aggressively when the opportunity presents itself (which could be quite effective with the pace you have in your front 3).

I do change it during games, to be honest I've just about had enough of it. Sacked after 9 games. I don't want to have a massive rant about the ME but it is no different to last year, by that I mean they have released the game that is nowhere near ready. Far to many faults in the game

I do change it during games, to be honest I've just about had enough of it.

If you change it in-game, your players won't be familiar with it.

It may be better to train three versions of your tactic: counter, standard/control, and control/attacking.

I do change it during games, to be honest I've just about had enough of it. Sacked after 9 games. I don't want to have a massive rant about the ME but it is no different to last year, by that I mean they have released the game that is nowhere near ready. Far to many faults in the game

There's bugs (FB's not defending properly is the main), but it's playable.

Biggest thing (can't do any better than lam's post on the tactics side), that stood out for me is your tactical familiarity was low. You'll never have good results if that's the case.

Not sure if you've seen it, but follow this approach to pre-season and have another crack: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/348337-Approaching-Pre-Season-My-take-On-It

I've had similar problems playing with this formation, as well as 4-2-3-1, the AML/R seem to do little in the way of tracking back, something which I felt was the biggest difference between 12 and 13, and it's become even more of a problem in this edition.

If it wasn't Liverpool, I'd suggest going 4-1-4-1 but then Sturridge as an MR wouldn't be quite right.

Have you tried going 3 at the back? Then you could put Johnson and Enrique/Cissokho at WB, keep Gerrard and Lucas in the middle and have Coutinho behind SAS like Brendan Rodgers has been doing in real life. I've found the WBs and even M R/L to be more effective full backs than the fullbacks themselves, probably owing to the ME being imperfect atm.

I've had similar problems playing with this formation, as well as 4-2-3-1, the AML/R seem to do little in the way of tracking back, something which I felt was the biggest difference between 12 and 13, and it's become even more of a problem in this edition.

I had a problem with a 4-2-3-1 and my attacking wide players not tracking back. I recently set them to man mark the opposition full backs with specific player marking and they now seem to track back when necessary (i only want them to track back to prevent 2 on 1 's with my full back)

Archived