james_wilko

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

restarted my newcastle save just played my last match of september,

current squad

2014-01-13_00002_zpsa1cf3c5c.jpg

current tactic

for tougher sides i use counter and also drop the wingers back alongside the centre mids and when chasing a goal i change to attacking and move the wingers up alongside the striker.

2014-01-13_00003_zps8db8923b.jpg

results

2014-01-13_00004_zps428c7a90.jpg

current table

2014-01-13_00005_zps7e4dfcb0.jpg

1225809172___Newcastle_United_Banner.png

Winter Transfers & End of Season 2016-2017

I decided to roll this together as one, as I didn't do a lot of business in the winter window to warrant a single update.

Transfers

So, just three players in this window. Alejandro Penaranda joins from Bolivar, after some rave reviews from more than one scout. Second transfer sees Patou Masudi join from Sporting CP, an English full-back with a good amount of potential. The final player in is a huge £16m transfer for AC Milan's young midfielder Marco Pugliese, who has an incredible amount of ability to become one of Europe's top midfielders.

PREMIER LEAGUE 1 - PREMIER LEAGUE 2

After a inconsistent and overall poor start to the season, we really picked up the form. Despite the three straight defeats(which were sandwiched in between major Champions League matches) it was a superb second half. Really great results against Swansea(5-0) and Wigan(7-1), which showed the squad's very best assets throughout. Despite our world-class defence, we are still leaking goals, which is something I am looking into this summer.

iuQScYW.png

Well, a fourth place finish. We ended up a good distance behind the top three, but still a pleasing finish to the season.

FA CUP - CAPITAL ONE CUP

As said previously, a weakened side lost in the C1C. We managed to go all the way in the FA Cup, beating Stoke in the Final. A comprehensive showing in the final as well, and it could and should have been 4 or 5 goals.

adam-campbell-in-action-for-newcastle-in-the-fa-youth-cup-474743715.jpg

Young Adam Campbell matured greatly, and became an integral part of the side.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP - GROUP RESULTS - KNOCKOUT RESULTS

As I said in the previous update, it was very good to finish top of what was a very tough group. A solid showing against Benfica, then again against Real Madrid(winning on away goals), followed by a destruction of Man City, set us up with a final showdown Bayern Munich, who knocked us out of the Europa League in season 2 -

0410d-a16c8903-01a7-4010-9a59-0168ff4c61db.png

So galling to lose in injury time. Wünderkid and Supersub Holthaus(just 18) came off the bench and managed to poke the ball home, just minutes after Carlos Fierro had shook the bar at the other end. But, I never expected to get to the Final this season, so a great learning experience, and gives me something to aim for in the next seasons.

PLAYERS

Performances were largely good form the squad, but this season certain players didn't quite live up to the expectations set by their performances in previous seasons. Also pleasing to see Academy graduate Andy Montgomery becoming a more integral member of the squad, as he continues to progress and mature as a player.

Key Players

Martin Kelly - Eder Alvarez Balanta - Moussa Sissoko - Adam Campbell

Kelly and Balanta were solid every time they played. Sissoko continued to be a key in midfield, pressing and battling in every game. The big breakthrough finally happened, as Adam Campbell started getting game-time and scoring goals, along with breaking into the England team.

Top Scorers; Adam Campbell(26 goals), Dusan Tadic(13 goals), Hatem Ben Arfa(9 goals)

Assist Leaders; Moussa Sissoko & Hatem Ben Arfa(13 assists), Sergi Roberto & Dusan Tadic(7 assists)

Just one player of note from Youth Intake day;

Jim Gonzales

Looks like he could evolve into quite the midfielder if he gets the right training.

----

Aims for Next Season

Improve!! We fell away from the top teams slightly this season, so I really want to catch up to them next. Also bring through more of the club's prospects. I won't be making any ground-breaking transfers, more a case of(as always) replacing what is sold, and young prospects. Anything close to the repeat of what was a memorable Champions League campaign wouldn't go amiss either!!

I'll do a more detailed update soon but basically after 18 games i am sitting nicely in 6th place and in to the semi final of the COCUP - although i am playing Chelsea and for some reason i fall apart against them, so i either go all out attack or sit back and hit them on the counter?!

The only players i have bought into the squad are Tom Ince for £3.4m and Zaha on loan for the season. Currently playing a staggered 4-1-2-2-1 formation

I need to find a striker who can play up front on his own though, as Cisse just doesn't cut it (so any suggestions are welcome)

Wow Stu it's amazing how different game pan out. I am a couple of seasons ahead of you and have had Pugliese since the start and he is a beast, mentally and physically out of this world, yet Sissoko has been sold afer not breaking in the team for nearly two years and Campbell 'isn't as strong as a minty bullet' as me dad used to say.

Good you managed to keep hold of balanta (he requested a transfer in 2016 for me - went to City for £40 mill upfront) and Fierro has just left this season for a now mid table Man U for £48 million. This has opened up an Adam Campbell sized whole in my team that may let him develop, he's very inconsistent, went 16 games w/o a goal then hit 6 in 4 games.

Wow Stu it's amazing how different game pan out. I am a couple of seasons ahead of you and have had Pugliese since the start and he is a beast, mentally and physically out of this world, yet Sissoko has been sold afer not breaking in the team for nearly two years and Campbell 'isn't as strong as a minty bullet' as me dad used to say.

Good you managed to keep hold of balanta (he requested a transfer in 2016 for me - went to City for £40 mill upfront) and Fierro has just left this season for a now mid table Man U for £48 million. This has opened up an Adam Campbell sized whole in my team that may let him develop, he's very inconsistent, went 16 games w/o a goal then hit 6 in 4 games.

Pugliese is now on loan at Arsenal starting every game, I reckon he is the player to replace Sissoko in a couple of seasons. I can't drop Sissoko, he is just far too good in the BBM role. Campbell took three seasons of careful development and tutoring, along with a half season loan to get to that stage. I kept putting back his first team chances until this season, and he has been excellent.

I just sold Carlos Fierro(in next update) to Dortmund for £22m, a season after buying for £6m/£7m. Far too inconsistent for me, and his stats have actually dropped since joining. Opens up a spot for one of my Academy strikers, who is already an England international. Campbell has actually been the consistent man for me!!

Will post screens of my whole squad at some point so you can all see it :)

Yeah Pugliese went on loan as soon as possible and has developed amazingly, I will post a SS tonight. Campbell went on loan with St Mirren 1st season and did well, then he has been on loan with a series of Championship clubs which I thought would develop his strength but hasn't. I will post a SS of him too. I will post my team but to be honest, apart from Pugliese, Campbell and Benzia, they're all regens.

Yeah Pugliese went on loan as soon as possible and has developed amazingly, I will post a SS tonight. Campbell went on loan with St Mirren 1st season and did well, then he has been on loan with a series of Championship clubs which I thought would develop his strength but hasn't. I will post a SS of him too. I will post my team but to be honest, apart from Pugliese, Campbell and Benzia, they're all regens.

I got him tutored by Nuno Gomes first season, I brought him in just to do that. That really helped his mental stats flourish, so I could use the individual training to work on his strength etc. Second season was all about developing his all round game, I had him on the Advanced Forward/Complete Forward(can't remember which) and then sent him on loan to Fulham in the second half of the season.

Right then, as promised here are images of Campbell and Pugliese along with some of the regens that I have unearthed. They are all key members of the team except for Bruno, who is being kept out by Ornskov. I am trying to mould Tom Beech into a BBM as I think he is more suited to that. I am playing FMC so cannot retrain him.

Can seem to embed the pics so here are links

Pugliese: http://tinyurl.com/nlbaxwb

[Campbell https://imageshack.com/i/ndi9c4p

https://imageshack.com/i/jtd0lkp

https://imageshack.com/i/2h1aqhp

https://imageshack.com/i/16vl9up

https://imageshack.com/i/06o65dp

https://imageshack.com/i/10a0bdp

Transfers, Pre-Season & Mid-Season Report 2017-2018

Well, it is unfamiliar territory for me to stick with a single club save for this length of time! But, Here we are, entering my fifth season as Newcastle Manager. This summer was all about finding where we were making mistakes, filling holes that really cost us a better season than we had. First up, transfers...

ngnfHyl.png

Just four transfers this summer. None of the players signed will be major parts of the season(maybe), but a firm eye planted on the future. First is Cardiff's Pat Brown, highly recommended as a ball-winner of the future. Secondly, Cypriot forward Petros Georgiou from Udinese, who has a lot of potential to be a good striker. Third is the huge fee of £17m for young forward Bryan Brank, who already looks accomplished, and has a huge amount of potential still to fill. Certainly a name to watch out for in the coming seasons. Lastly, Charalabos Vlachos signs from Olympiakos, with a lot of potential. He will become club homegrown by 21, which will be a handy thing :D

OUTGOING TRANSFERS

It is a huge list of outgoing players, a mixture of loans, frees and permanent transfers. We say adieu to Yohan Cabaye, who returns "home" to Lille for a fee of £9.5m. It is sad to see a fan favourite leave, but at 31, I take a nice profit on him, a bit-part player on a wage too high for his squad status. I begrudgingly sold Carlos Fierro to Dortmund for £22m, despite a better offer from Lyon(which was spread across 48 months). He was too hot and cold for my liking, and after a season, we make a handsome profit on the Mexican. The last money transfer is that of Guido Pizarro. Another I am sad to see leave, but the options at the club meant we could take a very good price for him.

Transfer Revenue - £22.1m

altMRwf.png

A good pre-season, 8 games played, and 8 without defeat.

V4A6LuZ.png

A win in the Community Shield, a great way to start the season, and I have now won all four trophies available to me in England.

PREMIER LEAGUE RESULTS

Four defeats so far this season, including two against newly-promoted clubs. A hammering of Arsenal was a particular highlight, and the resurgence of form going into the new year is always a welcome addition.

JItVQaj.png

Fourth in the table. Winning the league this season looks to be a stretch too far, with Man United 15 points clear of us with a game in hand. Again, it seems to be the defensive side of the game that is letting us down again, as we continue to leak goals.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE RESULTS - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP

A fairly easy qualifier against Metalist. A tricky group awaited, with heavyweights Barcelona the real tough game. However, we sailed through, winning the group, as Barca slipped up at Fenerbahce. Two good draws against the Catalans, which we held our own throughout. The Knockout round sees us draw what is turning out to be somewhat of a nemesis in Europe for me....

6469wOI.png

CAPITAL ONE CUP

So, looking good for a final appearance in the Capital One. We sailed through for the most part, only a tricky tie against Leicester has slowed us down.

Now have myself a really strong midfield. Made another two signings in midfield in January, which add some more depth to an already super-strong midfield. Looking to sell a couple this summer, as once those on loan return, I will have 10 or 11 in contention for 3 or 4 places in the midfield. Values are nice and high, so I have a good chance of making yet more ridiculous money on them. Got a couple of academy players in and around the first team too, along with Adam Campbell now leading the line most weeks!

end of season 2

finished 4th should of been better but had a big injury crisis in february time that left me with fielding youngsters and not having a full bench.

and chelseas just won the champions cup solooks like the eu

2014-01-16_00005_zps40626789.jpg

squad

2014-01-16_00006_zps3e8aa647.jpg

results premiership

2014-01-16_00007_zpsdc2a9ff1.jpg

euro cup

was unlucky to go out out the man city goal was a bizarre free kick that was meant to be a cross but caught krul in no mans land and went in.

2014-01-16_00008_zps5b364995.jpg

have just rejected job interviews with everton and tottenham and arsenal, but danger signs theres rumours of a takeover happening.

Winter Transfers & End of Season 2017-2018

So, reached the end of the fifth season with Newcastle. Firstly I will cover a couple of winter transfers, then dive into the season.

Firstly, we signed up Will Hughes from Celtic for a fee of £7.5m. He adds some creativity, and is the AMC player we have been lacking, after Pavlovski failed to progress in the way we thought. Secondly, in comes Raymundo Flores from Monterrey for £13m. A strong ball-winner, something we will need as we start to face bigger and better teams.

RmTwhQI.png

Remy Cabella leaves for PSV, after an indifferent spell at the club. Also, we say goodbye to Egyptian Mohamed Salah, who moves to Atletico for a nice £15m. The rest are loans.

PREMIER LEAGUE 1 - PREMIER LEAGUE 2

After a decent start, we really stepped it up in the second half of the season. Just one defeat, a game we could and should have won. The three consecutive wins with 5 goals was a highlight and showed our attacking prowess. Along with the big win against West Ham(7-3), the other highlight was the win against Arsenal(3-0).

BVZZYDe.png

A third place finish, and close to the top two. The best side in front of goal, and a fairly solid defensive effort.

FA CUP - CAPITAL ONE CUP

We failed to defend our FA Cup, losing to Southampton with our weakened side. We won the Capital One Cup for the second time, beating Man United in the final.

7CA77EDF4599E9BC6D31D12B8EC57.jpg

James Ward-Prowse became a major part of a successful side this season.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP - GROUP RESULTS - KNOCKOUT RESULTS

After coming through the group relatively unscathed, we found ourselves up against the side that beat us in the final last season. A memorable away performance, followed by a solid home game saw us through. Real Madrid up next, with a double header and two wins, incredibly polishing off the Spanish giants with ease. Juventus awaited in the semi-final, where a penalty shoot-out sealing a second consecutive final, where we would meet our fellow group qualifiers, Barcelona...

g98q3WU.png

WE DID IT!!!! Despite battling through the game, a thumping penalty from super striker Adam Campbell sealed the Champions League! Our defence stood tall, defending stoutly against the trio of Messi, Neymar and former Magpie Vietto. We had a single clear chance, and we took it.

PLAYERS

Superb performances, superb season. Goals flowed freely from Campbell, with goals coming from all areas of the pitch too. Breakout season for both Alexander Fraysse and Andy Montgomery. Some other younger players are getting more game time, including Brank, Angel, whilst Ulmer became an integral member of the team, eventually ousting Mapou Yanga Mbiwa towards the end of the season.

Key Players

Christian Ulmer - James Ward-Prowse - Hatem Ben Arfa - Adam Campbell

Outstanding season from Ulmer, proving himself as a world-class defender. James Ward-Prowse controlled the midfield since being brought into the team, defending and attacking diligently. Hatem Ben Arfa was...well...Hatem Ben Arfa, always a classy player, and assisting greatly. Adam Campbell led the line, and shown himself to be a real star, and becoming a fan favourite very quickly.

Top Scorers; Adam Campbell(37 goals), Dusan Tadic(10 goals), Hatem Ben Arfa(9 goals)

Assist Leaders; Hatem Ben Arfa(15 assists), Adam Campbell(13 assists), James Ward-Prowse & Dusan Tadic(10 assists)

No players from the Youth Intake were of note, all released.

----

Aims for Next Season

Keep improving!! After winning the Champions League, we need to start asserting ourselves in the league, and try to regain the title, along with give a good go at defending the Champions League. Club World Cup should be a good experience to complete the trophy set. Don't expect much in the way of transfers incoming this summer, most likely will be a trimming of the squad.

Can't believe Romero was still at Velez, was snapped up by Barca before I could blink in my game. My game is slow going at the minute due to work but should get some game time today. I have had a slight rethink in formation and will be using one upfront this season and be using Campbell as back up in most games (except cup) to try and bring him on further before I 'unleash' him.

I'll do a more detailed update soon but basically after 18 games i am sitting nicely in 6th place and in to the semi final of the COCUP - although i am playing Chelsea and for some reason i fall apart against them, so i either go all out attack or sit back and hit them on the counter?!

The only players i have bought into the squad are Tom Ince for £3.4m and Zaha on loan for the season. Currently playing a staggered 4-1-2-2-1 formation

I need to find a striker who can play up front on his own though, as Cisse just doesn't cut it (so any suggestions are welcome)

Update: Beat Chelsea 2-0 at my place in the 1st leg, 2nd leg we lost 2-1 so went through to face Arsenal in the final :)

I am currently sitting in 4th, with about 26 games gone - haven't been beaten in well over 10 games now and the squad is buzzing. Trying to fight off bids for Santon and Debuchy, if i get Champions League football i reckon they'll stay, else i feel Bayern, Inter, Arsenal etc will all tempt them away.

Still looking for that striker to play the "complete forward" role though, if anyone has any decent suggestions?

I had Damiao in that role for the first 3-4 seasons but I reckon he'll have moved from Internacionale in your game already. Depends if you want youth or someone who will only have a couple of seasons left but Adebayor went out on loan and was listed on my game - could be a shout.

A lot of people sign Fierro but he's never going to be a complete forward; I'd suggest tough it out with Cisse and have a look who comes up. Benzema came up cheap very quickly on mine too, there's a couple of belters in Germany too.

What a crap start to the season, away to West Brom - hit the bar 5 times, lost best player to injury and had right back sent off innocuously...all in losing 2-1. Mike Jones was not the referee!

In a fit of rage, £50 million offers were accepted for Benzia and Alvarez...

Update: Beat Chelsea 2-0 at my place in the 1st leg, 2nd leg we lost 2-1 so went through to face Arsenal in the final :)

I am currently sitting in 4th, with about 26 games gone - haven't been beaten in well over 10 games now and the squad is buzzing. Trying to fight off bids for Santon and Debuchy, if i get Champions League football i reckon they'll stay, else i feel Bayern, Inter, Arsenal etc will all tempt them away.

Still looking for that striker to play the "complete forward" role though, if anyone has any decent suggestions?

Have a look at Duvan Zapata. I picked him up 2nd season for £7m, and he turned out amazing for me. I always use an Advanced Forward, but look for one with decent strength as well.

I signed Fierro, as a few have also, but I found he was very inconsistent, and ended up selling for £23m a season after paying £7m.

Yeah, Stu I think if you want a cash injection you buy and sell Fierro, found he was inconsistent too, most of the forwards I have had bar Damiao have been though.

I had Remy up top 1st season, who was decent. I would have signed if it weren't the massive wages he wanted. 2nd season was Zapata, and two seasons of 44 and 35 goals. Then in came Campbell and he is now the main man, scoring for fun(26 goals, 37 goals, 26 current season) -

04114-3833e8e2-c157-4dce-aa45-9109fc56c1d8.png

Transfers, Pre-Season & Mid-Season Report 2018-2019

Rolled into one update, as there isn't much transfer-wise incoming to warrant a separate update. So, this season there is the extra two games for the Club World Cup, along with the UEFA Super Cup to add in, which are the last two trophies to add to the ever-expanding St James' Park trophy cabinet.

kOKSOqT.png

Huge budgets this season, which I really do not need!!

7HVREOg.png

Just the one incoming transfer this summer, England winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain coming in for a modest £10.75m, after losing his way at the talent black hole known as Man City(who have a reserve team to rival most first teams). Outgoing is a huge list, players seen as no longer required, or due to a change of tactical thinking, along with a load of loans for players not quite ready for the top of the Premier League.

OUTGOING

1CEYIEx.png

Cracking pre-season, winning every game, along with a well-earned testimonial for GK Tim Krul. Also nice to see a variety of goal-scorers.

UEFA SUPER CUP

First competitive game of the season, and a first win and trophy. Great start to the season!

PREMIER LEAGUE RESULTS

Well, there goes our issues with consistency!! A stunning start to the season. Massively helped by the fact we have yet to pick up any real injuries(other than knocks and the like). Adam Campell's name is a very familiar sight on the score-sheet also, finding the net more than anyone else in the league.

yV2XawR.png

After a start like that, not any surprise that we are clear at the top of the table, still with games in hand. The best scoring team, and the best defence. Let's hope it continues for the rest of the season.

Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-c-007.jpg

Since joining, "The Ox" has became a firm favourite and has become an integral member of the side.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP RESULTS - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TABLE

All to easy, straight into the knockout rounds. We even had the luxury of turning out a second-string XI for the final group game. Hopefully a table-topping performance would give us a more favourable draw in the knockout round...

64yFu61.png

German side Schalke await in the next round. Should be a test, but we should get through it without too much of a problem.

CAPITAL ONE CUP

Easy enough so far, hopefully a good chance to get the quintuple!

io3Hf2t.png

World Champions!!! A fitting end to the year, where we have simply dominated many teams. Monterrey and Fluminense were easy games as such, not really having to move out of second gear at any point.

Still making incredibly slow, stuttering progress through the third season of my Newcastle save. Sitting third in the league at halfway stage while comfortably through to knockout stages in Europe, qualifying second behind Barcelona from a group that also included Borussia Dortmund.

Wondering if anyone else has had problems with Vurnon Anita after turning down a transfer move for him?

He was a key player for me in first 2 seasons, incredibly consistent but I turned down a big offer from PSG for him during summer and he's been right off form since. Keep playing him in hope that his form and morale will pickup and he'll eventually stop bitching about wanting away like I've managed to do with a couple of other players but so far no sign of an improvement. Real Madrid are currently interested in him and I'm thinking might be best if I just give in and offload him in the january window. His value is currently at £21.5 million, so I should easily get a good price for him.

Thankfully I never had any issues with Anita before I let him leave for Monaco, always performed well and was very consistent.

Worth persisting with if you can afford it, if not you could get 30+ mil for him and spend it on a replacement or replace him with someone younger. If he`s playing as a DM for you I can recommend Fernando of Porto (probably moved on though) as he was who I signed and has been great.

Might be hanging on to him during the January window as I've had the guts ripped out of midfield in the space of two matches. Cabaye, Ben Arfa, James Ward-Prowse and Denys Garmash all injured. Leaves me with Will Hughes, Sissoko and free transfer Darren Fletcher if I was to sell Anita.

Though if Ward-Prowse makes the more optimistic recovery deadline selling might still be an option as I'm thinking of targetting Ross Barkely who doesn't seem to be getting many games at Everton. Depending on the fee I got for Anita might also bring in a more defensive option as well.

EDIT: Hoo boy! Now Sissoko's out too :eek:

Wow, sounds like a typical toon injury crisis - probably hardcoded :D. I cashed in on Anita, Cabaye and Ben Arfa at the end of my first season. Raised around £100 million through it too. Think it was something like Anita 24 million to Monaco, Cabaye 30 million to PSG and Ben Arfa 40 million to Man City. Allowed me to build for the future and none of them were irreplaceable.

Bloody hell, I realise I have just become Mike Ashley!

@Geordieboy52

Aye it's not helping that all my strikers are struggling for form too, had a hattrick from one of them early in January against Arsenal, then none of them have scored since and now in mid February. Title challenge just about being kept afloat at the moment by Ayew, Hughes, Santon and Debuchy.

Ended up hanging on to Anita with all those injuries, but if he's still hacked off at the end of the season then I'll cash in.

I think Zaha is too erratic tbh he is too old for there to be massive development of major stats and some things are just to low to warrant getting him in. He's rated a bit like Walcott was a few years ago.

@Dandydon - glad things are still on track, my game is getting untenable due to crap laptop, am upgrading to a mac at the and of the month though so things should start flowing smoother then.

@oi_oi_ginger_roy

Zaha is a Man Utd regular on my save, not going anywhere at moment unless for major money. Oddly the situation for him is totally reveresed from real life, he's a 1st team regular playing the key games and Adnan Januzaj has been neglected in the reserves.

@Geordieboy52

Cheers, we've managed to stay only 2 points behind leaders Chelsea going into the last nine games, despite some woefully out of form strikers and look to have a far easier run in ahead. Chelsea have to face Arsenal, Liverpool and Man utd as their final three matches, so I think there's a real chance of them stumbling.

Going to start a new save with Newcastle, my all conquering one isn't really appealing at the minute but I'll be keeping hold of it when I fancy battering the big boys again.

Aims for this one: Sign cheap, young, British players and overhaul the squad. Unlike last year where I kept hold of my stars like Cabaye desperately and paid them loads, this time I'll be willing to let them go provided I can bring in replacements.

Will probably stick with the 4-5-1 variation I used for most of my last save, but that depends on who comes and goes.

Good luck on the new save James :thup:

Jose definitely doesn't like me :lol:

pn2y.png

Unfortunately after dumping Chelsea out we lost in the next round away to Arsenal, but I did have to field a very much weakened squad so not too downhearted there. More annoyed that I got Ben Arfa back to full fitness, only for Sven Bender to hoof him into orbit during 1st leg of our Champs League Quarter Final against PSG....and now he's out for the rest of the season. :(

Desperately crossing fingers (and toes) that Andre Ayew doesn't get injured over next few games as he's our most consistent goal threat at the moment.

Season 3 - 2015/16 - Report

Well after slow, slow progress over last few weeks I finally got round to finishing the 3rd season of my current save. Ended up being a hugely successful at the death, though at times looked like it was all going to slip away from us. We had a new owner and board in place going in to the summer transfer market and with newly improved facilities and an enlarged SJP we also had a very healthy transfer budget of £57 million.

Transfer Activity

There wasn't anything too massive in terms of players leaving the club. Keisuke Honda, Papiss Cisse, Mehdi Abeid, Yoan Gouffran, Rob Elliot and Shane Ferguson all left permanently on deals that brought in about £10.5 million. Cisse and Honda left in pretty much cut price deals to Valencia and Cagliari to get their wages off the budget. I had thought I was going to offload Debuchy too as he'd thrown a strop at the end of last season after being fined for yet another sending off, but he actually settled down and played really well early on in the season so ended up keeping him.

With the new, improved transfer kitty I went out and secured deals early on in the summer for a couple more English players. Bringing in Nathaniel Clyne and James Ward-Prowse from Southampton plus John Ruddy from Norwich. Clyne was brought in as the longterm replacement for Debuchy at right back and cost us about £8million, while Ruddy was brought in to provide some competition to Krul and cost us £3.8 million after Norwich were relegated. The deal for Ward-Prowse took the most persuasion and the price for him will eventually rise to £23.5 million.

With the money that was left I wanted to secure at least one striker, Rickie Lambert was immense for us in the season just past, but he was now 33 and we only had Adam Campbell as backup. In the end I managed to bring in 2 players. Alvaro Morata arrived first from Real Madrid for only £2.5 million after I spotted Madrid accepting an offer from Everton for him. With Morata not costing a major fee I decided to push the boat out a little and finally talked Anderlecht into parting with Aleksandar Mitrovic for £17.5 million.

Results

0z8w.png

68fz.png

Fortunately our rather abject performance in the Community Sield didn't set the tone for the rest of the season and we got things off to a flying start with a very good win over a strong Chelsea side. As things progressed though a worrying lack of goals from my strikers meant we drew several matches we should have won considering our dominance in terms of possession and chances created. Lambert's season was horribly disrupted by a number of little knocks and strains, so he only managed 11 starts in total (still managed a respectable 6 goals in those 11 starts) while Mitrovic, Campbell and especially Morata struggled to show any kind of consistent form.

For a long time we were sitting in third place behind Chelsea (who after their opening day loss to us only dropped 4 more points until nearly the end of December) and Man Utd. Fortunately we were sharing enough goals amongst the midfield and defenders to keep us in touch. After the crowded January fixture list Chelsea were still top while we'd leapfrogged Man Utd into second just 2 points behind them. We managed to keep on Chelsea's tail mostly due to the fantastic form of Andre Ayew in the second half of the campaign, he scored 20 goals in all competitions 13 of them came from February to May. The other factor that kept us in the hunt was the form our defense, Santon and Caulker finished as the league's 2 highest average ratings and they made the Premier League Dream Team along with Bartra and Ayew. Santon also bagged himself the Players' Player of the Year award.

As I mentioned above Chelsea faced the harder run in over the final 9 league matches, finishing up with 3 very difficult games against Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd. However they actually beat all 3 of those sides but they stumbled in a narrow 1-0 loss to Southampton and a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Stoke (it was wet, but it was a Sunday afternoon at the Bridge rather than a Tuesday night at the Britannia :p) and followed it up with a draw at Watford.

All that meant despite us blowing a 2-0 lead away at Aston Villa we were able to cling on on and secure our second title by one point on the last day. Was looking doubtful that we would for a while in that game as we struggled to breach the Southampton defense. Thankfully we finally made the breakthrough on 60 minutes when Yohan Cabaye popped up to volley shot through the packed penalty box. Cabaye had only just returned from a long term injury that kept him out since the end of December. That settled us down a bit and subsitute Mitrovic finished the season with a bit of a flourish by bagging 2 late goals.

The icing on the cake for us was Adam Campbell breaking a scoring drought in the Champions League final of all places, scoring the only goal of the match while we survived the second half sending off of Steven Caulker to secure the trophy.

Final League Table

aa1n.png

Season ahead

Looks like being quite a busy summer ahead as I'll need to do some restructuring. Several of my key backroom staff are now retiring, including Chief Scout Graham Carr while I'll also be losing club captain Coloccini as he refuses to sign a new contract. Man City have already turned Andre Ayew's head with an offer and after I turned it down he wants a new contract that includes a wage hike from £60,000 a week to £140,000 a week. I'm not sure I want to authorise that, but also I'm loathe to let go of a winger who has been so important for us in last three seasons.

I've secured a couple of deals right after the league season ended to bring in another couple of good young players, one with an eye on the possibility of Ayew leaving and the other with Ben Arfa possibly moving on. Adnan Januzaj will be arriving from Man Utd while Ross Barkley will be joing from Everton. Neither player seemed to be getting much in the way of first team action at their clubs and Barkley was especially keen to move on, Januzaj took a little more persuading. Had to spend £12.75 million upfront to get Everton to accept while Utd accepted a £10 million bid for Januzaj (have a feeling they might have actually been willing to deal at a lower price considering how quickly they accepted this offer).

The remaining transfer funds will most likely be spent on a decent central defender to replace Coloccini and provide some backup/competition to Bartra, Caluker and Yanga-Mbiwa. I had been planning to target Luke Shaw but he signed a new deal at Southampton and I think they would be holding out for a crazy fee at this point.

Have just won the Capital One Cup (2-1 AET vs Arsenal)

Currently sitting in 3rd with 8 games to go (6pts ahead of Man City in 5th - level with Arsenal in 4th). Am in to the FA Cup semi final vs Stoke.......

A superb season so far, BUT Ben Arfa has stunned me by saying he wants to move to a bigger club, I've managed to stall him by saying I'll sign some players to match his ambition but I don't think this is going to happen

What to do?

Archived