FM12 - VillaSmith's UK & Irish Adventure ... For Now!

VillaSmith

Hi Guys, after reading some of the fantastic journeyman threads in this forum I decided to give this a go myself.

First of all I'll tell you that I decided to see if I could get into a new journeyman save before starting a thread and I am enjoying my first journeyman save (to last more than a few months!). Currently I am in mid-December 2013.

Game Set Up

Playable

England - Blue Square Regional Divisions

Ireland - Airtricity Premier

Scotland - Third Division

View Only

Argentina - Nacional B

Australia - A League

Belgium - Derde Klasse

Brazil - Serie B

France - Championnat National

Germany - 2.Bundesliga

Italy - Serie B

Mexico - Jupiler League

N.Ireland - Championship 2

Portugal - Liga Orangina

Russia - Pervyj Division

S.Africa - NFD

Spain - Liga Adelante

USA - MLS

Wales - Welsh Premier

Whilst I build up my reputation I will stay in the British Isles but may add top leagues (France, Germany, Italy and Spain) further along the line.

The Manager

I started off as a 33 year old unemployed manager with a semi-professional reputation, hailing from Burton Upon Trent, Staffordshire.

Personal Rules

To help my career be as realistic as possible I have set my self some rules I will adhere to:

- If offered Aston Villa job I must take it, unless it is a major step down (i.e. Man Utd winning the league to relegated Villa is not on the table)

- I will not take jobs I would not take in real life (i.e. Liverpool, would not risk my reputation to be hounded out by the fans)

- If I take an International job I will resign from my club

- If offered England job I must take it.

- I must try to stick to my philosophy of attacking possession football no matter who I manage.

Career So Far

scaled.php?server=205&filename=galwayunited.png&res=landing

Galway Utd (GUST) - 2011

Offered this job on my first day and took it a week later. One downside was no pay as Galway are amateur:(. Galway were rock bottom having only managed to achieve 1 point.

First off I had to sign players as they had all greyed out players.

With sixteen games left I earned 29pts and finished 1 point behind UCD in 9th. Stayed up by beating Monaghan Utd 2-1 on aggregate in the relegation play-off.

scaled.php?server=201&filename=badgesalisburycity.png&res=landing

Salisbury City - 2011-2012

Took over on the 25th November just weeks after the end of the Irish season (I had to, Salisbury offered me a wage!), with Salisbury in 18th.

In 22 league games I won 16, drew 2 and lost 4, earning 1st place and promotion by 1 point. Got to the FA trophy 4th round before being knocked by Eastleigh in a replay

scaled.php?server=52&filename=northamptontownfclogo.png&res=landing

Northampton Town - 2012-present

After deciding to not renew my contract at Salisbury I was jobless in the summer of 2012. After being offered plenty of jobs in non-league holding on for a league 2 job payed off as Northampton came knocking in November 2012.

Northampton were 20th(? can't remember exactly) when I took over and after a shaky start form picked around January with the arrival of some experienced players and a lot of foreign regens (all on free transfers). The 2012/13 season finished with Northampton in 13th after a late push for the play-offs but form couldn't be sustained for the last few games. Unfortunately my first game was a 2-0 FA Cup 2nd round defeat to AFC Wimbledon.

Currently I am 8th after 22 games on equal points with 7th but with a Goal Difference that is 3 worse. I will update this seasons progress when I get into January.

Hopefully you will all enjoy my career and I can make it an interesting read as well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Year			|Club                                   |Division		    	        |Position       |Notes
2011			|Galway Utd		        	|Airtricity Premier Division	        |10th	        |Won relegation Play-off
2011-2012		|Salisbury City			        |Blue Square South		        |1st	        |Took over 24/11/11
2012-2013		|Northampton Town			|nPower League 2		        |13th 	        |Took over 29/11/12
2013-2014		|Northampton Town			|nPower League 2			|2nd    	|Won JPT
2014-2015		|Northampton Town			|nPower League 1	        	|22nd 	        |Left on 15/1/15
2014-2015		|Brentford			        |nPower League 1 		        |10th         	|Took over 15/1/15
2015-2016		|Brentford				|nPower League 1		        |3rd   	        |Won Play-offs
2016-2017		|Slovakia			        |World Cup Qualifiers		        |1st	        |None
2018			|Slovakia				|World Cup Group Stage       		|3rd	        |None	
2018-2019		|Leeds United				|nPower Championship    		|6th		|Took over October

Honours

Club

Blue Square South - Salisbury City - 2012

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Northampton Town - 2014

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Brentford - 2016

Personal

nPower League One Manager of the Year - 2016

2013-2014 Season So Far

Transfers

I had a bit of a clear out in the summer releasing players that had high wages and signed some loan players and free transfers on low wages, also I sold a Venezuelan striker for £675k to Torino which helped my finances massively.

ntfctransfers2012.png

Competitions

Carling Cup

Only got to the first round, I lost 4-1 away to Nottm. Forest :(

FA Cup

Again I fell at the first hurdle, although this time it wasn't a game I didn't expect to get anything from, I lost 1-0 away to Hereford.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Currently awaiting the first leg of the south semi-final against Barnet, it will be tough as Barnet are sitting just 1 point behind Fleetwood who are top with a game in hand.

My route to the Final:

ntfcjptfxitures.png

nPower League 2

It's been a great season especially when it was predicted I wouldn't even get into the top half and I'm now knocking on the door of the play-offs currently in 7th on equal points with 8th and a game in hand. I'm about to play Morecambe at home and a win will leave 3 points ahead of 8th place and hopefully just 2 points behind 3rd.

Table:

ntfcl2jan2014.png

In January I'm not looking to make any substantial signings as I am £1.2k over my wage budget and my squad has plenty of depth and should be able to sustain a play off challenge.

January 2014 - Northampton Town

Fixtures

jan14fixtures.png

Table

l229114.png

A fantastic month going unbeaten and it's left me in the top 3 and with the upper hand in the South Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final against Barnet. Highlight of the month was an amazing 5-0 victory over Morecombe to start the month. No signings and no sales means January was just another month for me. Currently 6 points behind Barnet with a game in hand and just a point behind Fleetwood I'm hoping both slip up in the coming months and my form will continue.

nPower League 2

febntfcfixtures2014.png

l2feb2014.png

A good month picking up 12 out of 15 points and was disappointing to lose to promotion rivals Fleetwood to end my 8 game win streak but remain 2 points above them though Barnet have now pulled away to 6 points clear and I no longer have a game in hand. 8 points above the Play-off places but Hereford have a game in hand which could close the gap, all in all looking good for automatic promotion.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

jptsouthfinal2014.png

A brilliant win in the South final against very tough opposition and was nervy going 2-0 behind in the second leg but pulled through in the end. I will now face Bury in the Grand Final who currently lie 5th in League 2.

On the job front

rochdalejob.png

Not actually linked with this job but has made me seriously consider applying, unsure whether to jump ship now or try guide Northampton to League 1 and maybe a season there before I move on, what do you guys think?

Not a good idea declaring your interest when you're not even rumoured for the job, if they will reject you you're stuck at Northampton and I'm sure the board there wont be impressed by your actions.

Not actually applied yet and I'll admit that is a concern I had which made me hesitate, was going to see what others thought first too.

Your right though I don't think I'll apply, I have unfinished work at Northampton!

I won't be updating this thread much over the next couple of weeks as I have exams to revise for so I won't be loading this save up very often, hopefully I can at least get to the end of march when I have time off.

March 2014 - Northampton Town

nPower League Two

ntfcmar2014.png

l2mar2014.png

Bounced back brilliantly from my defeat to Fleetwood at the end of February with a 4-0 win over Southend but started to stutter come the end of the month with my unbeaten run of four whole games came crashing down with possibly my worst result this season so far, a 4-0 hammering at York:(. Crawley almost made it two defeats on the bounce going into the JPT Final but I came back from 3-1 down to score a dramatic last minute winner. 7 games to go and a game in hand on 4th and 6 points above the play-off places. A top half finish is mathematically secured and a play-off place is all but secured.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

jptfinal.png

My first trip to Wembley and my first trophy!!! Played Bury off the pitch and truly deserved victory. Jonas Winter, my German regen striker, is fast approaching not only Fan's Player of the Year but League Player, League Young Player and League Top Goalscorer, or at least he should be with a staggering 37 in 44 games so far. A fantastic Hat-trick for him in his undoubtedly biggest game of his career so far.

northamptontownfclogo.png

April 2014 - Northampton Town

nPower League 2

l2apr14.png

ntfcapr14.png

A poor month with only 8 points from a possible 18 meant I limped over the line getting promoted with two games to go. Unfortunately Hereford have now overtaken me on goal difference meaning a 3rd place finish is my most likely finish. However a good season still and can end the season without pressure when I play Luton in May. May have prematurely spoke when I stated Winter is in the running for top goalscorer, going into the last game Paddy Madden of Hereford has 5 more goals than him going into the last day.

May 2014/Season Review - Northampton Town

nPower League 2

ntfcmay14.png

l21314.png

Only the one game this month and I almost went out with a whimper as I only managed to equalize in the 75th minute with a penalty and scored the winner in the 91st minute. Luckily Hereford lost to Torquay, meaning I finished 3 points above so I'm promoted as Runner's-Up.

Fleetwood Town beat Torquay United 2-0 in the play-off final to join Barnet, Me and Hereford in next years League 1. After presuming Jonas Winter would sweep up in the end of season League 2 awards he ended up only being in the PFA team of the year and was 2nd in the Golden Boot award.

Notable Players

Louis Planté - Solid at the back, pulled off some magnificant saves and made me confident that he would mop whenever the ball broke through. Despite his attributes I reckon he could be a solid GK for a lower Championship team with his performances this season, time will tell though.

Michael Jacobs - Top of the Assists pile last year with 17 and was a constant threat to opposing defenses. Inherited him when I took over the Cobblers and will likely try take where ever I end up next, unless it's in the Premier League (which I highly doubt).

Josh Parker - Second top goalscorer with 11 and chipped in with 14 assists. Not great technically but his blistering pace made him a handful for Left Backs, will stick with him (probably) but worried how far pace alone can take him.

Jonas Winter - Fan's Player of the Year and top goalscorer with 40 goals in 51 games. This guy will go far with attributes that would have him easily in most Championship teams at the minute I am greatly looking forward to his improvement in the coming years. Also got 7 assists to show he's not completely selfish. Can see Jonas playing Premier League football at some point soon.

A fantastic league season topped off with a great Johnstone's Paint Trophy win and looking forward to next year.

Pre-Season 2014/15 - Northampton Town

Fixtures

ntfcpreseason14.png

A mixed pre-season with some expected results, some terrible results and a great result. Portsmouth and CSKA I didn't think I'd get much out of and almost caused an upset against CSKA, Nuneaton was a solid win but should have been more comprehensive. Gateshead and Tamworth were awful results with Gateshead being the most embarrassing. Finally Oldham was a great win as they are also a League 1 team although they're predicted to finish lower than me.

Squad

ntfcteam201415.png

A smaller squad than last year with the loss of my loan players from last year and a reserve player who I never played left on a free transfer. Not added to the team yet and can only hope for some loans as my wage budget is £7k a week over budget as my board thought it would be a good idea if I didn't add to my squad this year:@. To add to my worries 13 of my players have contracts that expire next summer and with my restricted budget I am unable to offer new contracts.

Going to be a tough season and will struggle to stay up, most likely my last season at Northampton as I don't look forward to having to completely re-build my team on a shoe string budget next summer. Hopefully I can finish with a bang.

August 2014 - Northampton Town

nPower League One

l1aug2014.png

ntfcaug14.png

A decent start with lots of goals both ways. In two matches I was unable to hold onto a 2-0 and my only win was a comeback from 2-1 down, equalizing in the 84th minute. Encouraging and hopefully I can tun the draws to wins and I may even be making a surprise play-off push! Defense has been shaky and is the area I need to concentrate on fixing this season, it doesn't help one of my starting CB's is injured and I've been relying n youth players who are no-where near good enough, although this has been bolstered by the signing Phil Stonebridge on a season long loan from Cardiff, rated 3 stars with 5 star potential, could be one for me to watch out for in the future.

continued...

Carling Cup

lc201415.png

A good game against Plymouth and a spirited defeat to Premier League side Burnley. The score line v Burnley was harsh as they took advantage of tired legs towards the end of the game but I will venture no further, at least it's a round further than last year:thup:

Lastly...

Forget to mention in my last post but Stuart Pearce who took the England post at the start is still in the job despite not reaching the Euro's and getting to the 2nd round of the World Cup after scraping through the Group Stage on goal difference, amazed he's not been sacked as I've seen managers sacked with much better records, also he has only just become stable in his job again.

September/October 2014 - Northampton Town

nPower League 1

nov14l1.png

octnov14.png

A horrendous run during September (probably the worst month I've ever had on FM, and one of the reasons this is a double month update) dragged me right into the relegation battle managing to get 1 point from a possible 18, however a turn around in October has seen me steadily climb out the bottom 4 but still only a point clear. Luckily at this stage of the season a bad run like that in this League means a bit of form could see me near the play-off places, only 9 points behind at the minute. Not holding my breath though.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

jpt14.png

A truly pathetic attempt at retaining my title as I rolled over to League 2 relegation battlers Luton, only having 1 attempt on target, despite 60% possession.

Jobs

On the look-out for any vacancies, hopefully a high end League 1 or low-rep Championship job will come available. I'm now certain this will be my last season at Northampton, the only doubt about it is exactly when I'll leave.

nPower League One

l1nov14.png

nov14.png

An OK month which sees me edge slowly away from the bottom. A huge win against fellow strugglers Stevenage, absolutely dominated and never looked like losing.

FA Cup

facup14.png

A good win against non-league Eastleigh but bowed out against League 2 leaders Oxford in the 2nd round, a good team who went the opposite way to me last year and despite being a league below, probably a better team than me so was always going to be tough.

Personal

Got given my second ultimatum of the season by the Northampton board as I applied for another job, didn't get it and the board accepted my apology, however if offered another ultimatum I may resign as I don't think I can apologize and get away with much longer.

December 2014 - Northampton Town

nPower League One

l1dec14.png

dec14.png

Another average month that slowly guides me to safety. Coventry was a low point, had a chance to leap frog them but got annihilated. Got four of the bottom seven teams in January so hopefully some points will be coming my way soon.

Job Offer

Was linked with this but didn't expect an offer as I didn't apply...

brentfordoffer.png

An attractive offer, a transfer budget, spare wage budget , £200 a week more wages, 2 points above me in 19th and just beat me 4-0 (I know, what an interview that was! Brentford fans must be fuming at my name being linked.)

What do you guys think, I'm leaning towards taking it, should I?

brentford.png

Mid January 2015 - Brentford

The Squad

brentfordteam.png

Some good players and a much better squad than Northampton's (Had a quick look on Genie Scout before I took the job at the squads overall ability and they should be in the top 6, whereas Northampton should be rock bottom). Hopefully they will fit into my tactic and I can catalyze Brentford's rise to the Championship. Currently 19th and my first 6 games involves 5 bottom half teams so should get off to a good start. Finances are worse than Northampton's, but I can work round that as I have never had good finances. Got a few transfers lined up, would raid Northampton but don't have quite enough money to do so.

Key Players

Grant Hall - Looks a good defender with great physical attributes has a bit of potential also. Will probably be the rock of my defense.

Bahrudin Atajic - Another good young player with a bit of potential, will fit in behind the striker perfectly .

Alex Henshall - A good winger with bags of pace and good dribbling ability. Not much in other technical areas but at any level pace can be everything(even Premier League *cough*Agbonlahor*cough*)

Looking forward to the challenge and hopefully I can guide them to promotion and possibly a couple of trophies.

brentford.png

nPower League One

l1jan15.png

jan15.png

A mixed start with a fantastic first game against Carlisle. Coventry was disappointing and I should have beaten Walsall but Rudi Skacel missed a penalty early on. Atajic has been brilliant and won Young Player of the Month and Shaun Batt my right winger won Player of the Month.

Transfers

Dom Dwyer - Striker who was on trial when I joined and signed him immediately as my other strikers weren't up to scratch according to my new assistant and Dwyer is a lot better.

Mamadou Gomes - Not great but only had one left back when I joined and Gomes was the best I could get on a short term deal.

Tom Adeyemi - CM recommended by my scout when I joined and was better than my other options based on reports, has Premier League experience(OK he never actually played but was contracted to Norwich whilst they were in the Prem) so should do well.

scaled.php?server=641&filename=brentford.png&res=landing

February 2015 - Brentford

nPower League One

l1feb15.png

feb15.png

A good month that put a bit of daylight between me and 21st and a top half finish still on the cards. Fleetwood was a game and a half going into half time at 4-4 but finishing off the game in the second half. Batt once again got Player of the Month with Atajic coming in second and also picking up Young Player of the Month. Atajic (A January signing by my predecessor) has scored 7 goals in in his first 10 games for the club, all coming in the last 8 under me, looks a fantastic prospect and is brilliant in the hole. A tough month coming up in March with 3 promotion chasing teams and only 1 team below out of my 6 games.

brentford.png

March 2015 - Brentford

nPower League One

l1mar15.png

mar15.png

Not a great month but should be safe now if I continue my form in April and May. Dwyer and Atajic have been two fantastic signings scoring a combined 19 goals since I joined, with Dwyer getting 11 in 13. Wingers Batt and Henshall have been in brilliant form recently giving me a real attacking threat of late. Hopefully I can see out the rest of the season and stay up (and above Northampton!).

Also Swansea in the Premier League just appointed someone who had only ever played at Blue Square South at a maximum and was his first managerial job, can't help feel I could of got it if I'd not just moved to Brentford and stayed at Northampton for a little while longer...

brentford.png

April/May/June 2015 - Brentford

l11415end.png

aprmay15.png

A fantastic end to the season which saw Brentford in to the top half for the first time this season on the last day. A bonus for me (kind of) was finishing above Northampton and them getting relegated, don't get me wrong I would have liked them to stay up, but the differences in finishes proves I probably made the right choice to move.

Notable Players

Bahrudin Atajic - A real bright spark in my team, contributed towards 20 goals for me, and one of my favourite players, he also just got a call-up for Bosnia, what parting gift he was by the ex-manager!

Shaun Batt - Fan's Player, and League Player of the Year, also got in team of the Year. Got the highest rating in both my team and the league and was also my top scorer with 16 and got a few assists to with 18. Linked with three Championship teams so it might be tough to hang on to him this summer.

Dom Dwyer - Top scoring striker with 13 in 19 games, not too shabby return! Extremely thankful I bought him in when I joined as I have no confidence my other strikers would of got that many goals.

Alex Henshall - Most assists and a real threat down the wings, another player linked to championship teams so could lose him too this summer :(

A great season hopefully I can push for play-offs with Brentford, although maybe too soon to think about this but Brentford are in a worse position financially than Northampton it would seem so similar reasons may see me not stay too long, hopefully I can take them a long way before jumping ship though!

Guess Northampton couldn't cut it without you. You made the right choice :)

Definitely, whats even worse is they now only have 11 first team players and 5 of them don't even have a contract! Looks like they'll be relying on youth next year and with the selection of youth players still there, probably facing another relegation, glad I jumped ship!!

brentford.png

July/August 2015 - Brentford

Squad

brentfordteam15.png

transfers2015summer.png

Had a lot of budget constraints this summer with no transfer budget and already over my wage budget by £11k when I got given my budgets. I sold/released a lot of players who weren't in the team or were on too high wages and I fell I replaced them with much better players. Raided Northampton a little having signed 4 players who I had signed for Northampton although due to their finances I didn't have to pay a thing!! Also I got Man Utd to replace Swansea as my parent club which makes it easier to get their top youth players on loan. Very confident with this squad nd I hope I can push for promotion this year. Managed to hold on to some of my better players, despite Nottm. Forest having an £800k offer for Tom Paul accepted by my board, but Tom knew Brentford is the place to be.

Pre-Season

preseason15.png

A mixed pre-season with a great result at home to Birmingham and a disappointing result against Woking. Pre-season also saw a return for my to one of my former teams, but Salisbury were no match!

nPower League One

l1aug15.png

aug15.png

A great start showing that I'm a force to be reckoned with this season, especially offensively. Next month I face two newly promoted teams and two teams that finished bottom half last year, so hopefully my form should continue, and I pray I don't have a September like I had last year:mad: Grant Hall got Player of the Month and Bradley Canham got second and won Young Player whilst Tom Paul came third in that.

Carling Cup

cc15z.png

A great first round game against Wimbledon but away to Everton was never going to end well in the second round. I fought valiantly and would have deserved a draw but Everton showed why they are in the Premier League and I'm in League One.

brentford.png

September 2015 - Brentford

nPower League One

l1sep15.png

sep15.png

Another good month with some convincing wins. Majorly annoyed after the Peterborough match as they had the grand total of one shot and had 33% possession, I was just unable to convert chances, very annoying. No signs of slowing down so far and I don't even have a fully fit squad yet.

Archived