Greatest Ever Comeback!

RKW

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/08/2016 at 23:38, Earnie is God! said:

Gareth, that doesn't count as it was in extra time. Only joking, that's some comeback!

I'm sure I've had better than this next one before but can't remember the details. However, I've just won 5-2 away to QPR after being 2-0 down at HT. It wasn't just the 5 goals we scored in the comeback that impressed me, but more so how we managed to score straight from the kick off at the start of the 2nd half and twice more within 4 minutes.

So we were 3-2 up within 4min of the restart and then scored two more.

378120_20160821233643_1.png

I think I've just topped this one.

Champions League QF 2nd leg and we needed something special after a 3-0 thrashing by Barcelona in Spain.
Then this happened......

378120_20160918001624_1.png

Probably my best ever comeback, especially when it was against such a fantastic side who had all their stars playing, not just Messi, Neymar and Suarez.

1 hour ago, Earnie is God! said:

I think I've just topped this one.

Champions League QF 2nd leg and we needed something special after a 3-0 thrashing by Barcelona in Spain.
Then this happened......

378120_20160918001624_1.png

Probably my best ever comeback, especially when it was against such a fantastic side who had all their stars playing, not just Messi, Neymar and Suarez.

Wow, nice one!!

Out of interest, purely tactically was it one of those dubious cases where their AI manager (whoever it was) "figured" that the first leg pretty much settled the tie, and opted to grind for the draw in the second, going completely defensive to let you be all over their place despite inferior players? Cuz that still happens in FM 2016, where you can completely "dominate" the best of sides then no matter what (naturally, scoring these many goals is another matter). :D

No, they picked the same team and the same tactic/mentality from what I could see.
The difference was that I changed my own tactics from my usual one, which failed away, to a very attacking one with wingers to try and take advantage of their ageing and slow defence. Perhaps I should have used that in the 1st leg but I feared we might have been ripped to shreds (we were anyway but that's not the point lol).

I was playing as Everton against PSG in the 1st Knockout Round of the CL (3 seasons in to my current save). A rip-roaring 1st half ended 2-2, and both teams seemed to take a breather in the 2nd half as we got to 75 minutes with no further score. I still have no idea what went wrong after that, but we conceded 3 goals in the final 15 minutes, to lose 5-2. Right, I thought, that's the end of my Champions League adventure...

On to the second leg at Goodison Park, and Seamus Coleman bagged 2 goals in the first half (only his 2nd and 3rd goals of the entire season!) to bring us back to within touching distance....

The second half was a nailbiting back-and-forth affair, with Everton trying to nick a third to go ahead on goal difference, and PSG trying to score to put themselves out of sight, until Lukaku popped up from 9 yards to bang one in to the bottom corner. We then parked the proverbial bus for the final 12 minutes and went through on goal difference as the tie finished 5-5!

We went on to hammer Benfica and Zenit in the later stages, before losing on penalties to Real Madrid in the Final.

I'm managing Bath City and have takin them into the premiere league, this season I played a home game vs Liverpool and came down 0-3 in the first 20 minutes of the game. Some aggressive sideline shouts to "demand more" and "concentrate" brought the score to 2-3 at half time, 3-3 was achieved shortly after the break, only for Liverpool to immidiately making it 3-4! :mad: Here we go, surely morale will collapse now... No the boys fought back admirably and we came back to make the final score 6-4! Was pretty epic.

On 18.9.2016 at 19:52, Earnie is God! said:

No, they picked the same team and the same tactic/mentality from what I could see.
The difference was that I changed my own tactics from my usual one, which failed away, to a very attacking one with wingers to try and take advantage of their ageing and slow defence. Perhaps I should have used that in the 1st leg but I feared we might have been ripped to shreds (we were anyway but that's not the point lol).

Always fun when that happens, you can be all over Barcelona's place with bloody Liverpool then (starting squads pretty much). :D Completely dropping back, as if that'd ever happen. Often those miracle"comebacks" in two legged ties in particular involve weird/drastic AI tactical switches.

GgwC8XI.jpg

Talking about switches, a rather satisfying one back from FM 2015... had build up Brisbane over a couple seasons (yeah that's 40 years old Cahill and Tom Rogic some Celtic fans might now, scored just this weekend again) and finally reached the latter stages of the Asian CL where you face opponents from those oil rich countries which pay a million to single players, whilst you barely can raise your entire budget past that.  Like Al-Ain from the United Arab Emirates.

vol99di.jpg

Purely tactically they kept on attacking from the get-go, after the 0-1 in the return (home lost 1-2) I switched to two forwards. As they kept their backs pushing up and most of their midfield, that would often force their centre backs one on one with those two forwards upon intercepting which is how two goals were scored outright... If you ever "magically" lose to a crap team or dead last, check if they have multiple forwards and if you overcommit.

e0mgJBL.jpg

Too bad that in the Club world cub semis we actually (luckily) managed to hang on in there against Bayern. At 1-1 we initiated a similary counter attack via multiple forwards about 15 minutes from time... but it was wasted. Then they scored the 1-2, I played more openly nothing to lose and after that the windfall began and the scoreline you'd expect transpired.

Archived