FM2011 Player Position Calculator

This is great!!

I've just put all my team into the spreadsheet - on different pages of course - and my team played like a dream. Before i found this thread, my team were just rubbish - leaking goals left right and centre, never having any shots, no posession etc....

Since playing the players that i have in the positions that the spreadsheet advises, my team looks like a brand new outfit.

Top marks Robzilla..........................A++++++

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

To be honest I gave it a quick look when the FM12 demo came out with a view to updating it for FM12 but I couldn't find any changes so I didn't bother, and I am still using this one for FM12.

What is interesting, is that in a lot of cases this tool gives a different "best" role & duty combination to what the assistant manager says, but I put that down to the game weighting the different attributes for different roles and duties, whereas my spreadsheet applies no weighting.

To be honest I gave it a quick look when the FM12 demo came out with a view to updating it for FM12 but I couldn't find any changes so I didn't bother, and I am still using this one for FM12.

What is interesting, is that in a lot of cases this tool gives a different "best" role & duty combination to what the assistant manager says, but I put that down to the game weighting the different attributes for different roles and duties, whereas my spreadsheet applies no weighting.

That is exactly the reason I asked, because my Assistant Manager was giving a different recommendation. Oh well, I like yours better :)

It depends how good the assistant is.

• 2 years later...
I still have a copy of the FM11/12/13 player role/duty calculator so if anyone wants it, just PM me your email address and I'll send it.

I don't know if they've changed anything for FM14 as I haven't got it yet, not sure if I will.

Some duties got removed for some roles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So does it come up with the same recommendations as one's assman?

No, because the AssMan's recommendation takes into account weightings (which are unknown to me) for each attribute in each role, whereas the spreadsheet treats all attributes equally.

Also as Cleon said earlier in the thread, the AssMan's ability is taken into account as well. Obviously I have no idea of the internal workings of this part of it so I can't mimic it.

I've knocked this up as an explanation of what the spreadsheet is and what it can be used for.

What is it?

The calculator tells you a player's mean, median, high and low attribute values for each role & duty combination in the game.

Why?

1. For determining a player's best role & duty combination.

Each role and duty combination in the game has a subset of attributes that are considered important for a player to have to be able to perform well in it.

The spreadsheet show you which role/duty combinations your player is most suited to by showing you the mean, median, high and low attribute values for each role & duty combination in the game.

For example, if a player has an average of 15 in the attributes considered important for the role/duty combination Poacher/Attack then you should consider giving him that role. Simples.

2. For determining what attribute a player should be trained to improve.

Let's say you have a player who has an average of 13 for the role/duty combo Poacher/Attack, but you notice that although he has 13s, 14s, 15s in most of the attributes, in one of the required attributes - finishing - he only has a 9.

In this case I would focus his training on finishing to bring it up as high as possible and make him strong in all the attributes required for that position.

3. For determining whether a player should be re-trained to a new position.

You have player who scores highly for full back and wing back roles but he has no positional ability in the FB or WB positions (happens more than you might think). You can still play him at FB or WB but he will not perform as well as he should because he will be penalised for not having any positional ability in those positions.

The player should be considered a good candidate for re-training in the FB or WB positions.

How do I use it?

The spreadsheet contains one "Outfield Player" sheet and one "Goalkeeper" sheet. Make as many copies of the outfield player sheet as you have outfield players in your squad, same with goalkeepers. Fill in the name of the player at the top of each sheet (I also rename the sheet using the player's surname) and input their attributes. Voila! You will obviously have to update the sheets from time to time as your players' attributes change. I usually do this at the beginning of each season, and in January.

Where do I get it?

Here.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived