Carles Puyol

This might sound weird (and it is to me), but I can't get Carles Puyol playing well for my Barcelona team. I play a 4-5-1/4-3-3 depending on how you look at it and it works very well for me, almost too well as far as a challenging game goes. My two centre backs both have standard 'Central Defender' roles and all my other central defenders do well with that role, but for whatever reason Carles Puyol never seems to play above a 6.4 rating (usually around 6.2) and makes some stupid mistakes. Being a legend at the club, I'd like to use him but find myself playing Pique and Chygrynskiy or Marquez instead. I've tried playing him with the other two centre back roles, but he's always dire. At right back he does alright, but he's not a patch on Dani Alves. Any ideas or do I just give up on him and use him as back up right back?

Well firstly, what would you like him to do, would you like him to be a defender who is a stopper who steps out of defence and wins the ball and hoofs it. A ball-playing cover who sweeps up behind the stopper and plays a pass to the midfield. As you are Barca you probably want the latter so I suggest ball-playing defender, cover.

he will get low ratings because simply he can't head a ball...as a dc should do. even if the rest of his defensive game is spot on, eg winning all his tackles and making loads of interceptions...because he won't win his fair share of headers he will get a low rating.

he will get low ratings because simply he can't head a ball...as a dc should do. even if the rest of his defensive game is spot on, eg winning all his tackles and making loads of interceptions...because he won't win his fair share of headers he will get a low rating.

Unfortunately this is the true answer here. 10.3 ME makes it impossible for a short CB to get good match ratings. No matter how you play him, he will have to deal with a lot of headers, and CB's with jumping attribute less than 14-15 always have a hard time winning those headers.

When I have a short CB with excellent marking and tackling attributes I just retrain him as a fullback. That's the only solution.

Little annoying things like this in the ME prevent me from totally enjoying FM2010.

Unfortunately this is the true answer here. 10.3 ME makes it impossible for a short CB to get good match ratings. No matter how you play him, he will have to deal with a lot of headers, and CB's with jumping attribute less than 14-15 always have a hard time winning those headers.

When I have a short CB with excellent marking and tackling attributes I just retrain him as a fullback. That's the only solution.

Little annoying things like this in the ME prevent me from totally enjoying FM2010.

been the same for the past few versions..physical stats matter to much in the ME...

Archived