<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Can you post a screenshot of your fixture list and then screenshots of the 3 matches in a row where you were beaten by a team that had a player sent off in each match.

Thanks icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">player sent off happened only in this match, this is a seperate match to the sequence shown above, that game was deleted after i replaced the mouse i smashed up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't think you could icon_rolleyes.gif.

[Join my list]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajhyndman@gmail.com:

what are you talking about baw bag, sorry Jimbokav1971, never said a player got sent of 3 games in a row, I said in the is game which I got beat in, which is similar to the sequence of results i posted, when it happens again with coventry, my new team, i will post it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he is talking about is that you are claiming here FM is crap and you lost 3 games in row that you dominated with 20+ shots on goal vs a couple of shots, but you don't provide us with screenshots!

When you making claims like this better show some proof or better post it IN the bugs forum and upload your save game to the SI server!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajhyndman@gmail.com:

18, 15 and 23 shots, I will post it when it happens again, which it will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it will happen again. Most teams experience defeat of this nature at some point. In fact, it tends to be the better sides that suffer this kind of defeat. They may not lose often, but when they do, this is generally how they lose. And, as you stated, your team is second in the league.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnzy:

What is this list you speak of Jimbo?

(ps dont use the rolleyes) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My ignore list.

ps why on Earth not icon_confused.gif?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mirrork:

i fully agree on the poster...i have tons of chances and rarely score while the opponent has perhaps 20 % shots and shots on goal and still beats me...its ridiculous </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are your strikers' stats for finishing and composure?

It is NOT NOT NOT your tactics even though many will try a tell you it is. Which really infuriates me :-(

I believe it is a problem with this game, as I have had the same thing,

I was top of the league by xmas smashing everyone in sight, then bang, all of a sudden (I was still smashing everyone in sight - shots on/off, possesion etc.) but my whole team could not score :-( and I kept losing matches I was dominating.

Dont tell me, that by xmas the AI has figured out my tactics so now I need to 'tweak' them. If this was the case, I wouldnt be creating the 'good' chances in the first place and still dominating games.

AND, when was the last time Man Utd changed the way they play after the oppostion had so called 'sussed' their tactic? Answer is NEVER because they let the oppostion worry about them and let their world class players do what they do best, play fast attacking football.

18, 15 and 23 shots, I will post it when it happens again, which it will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will try to help and make some sense why this can happen.

Ever considered after your last years 2nd place that maybe your strikers and better players hoped for a wage raise?

Maybe they react now to this by not scoring anymore! icon_wink.gif

This game is very logical but you can often miss small things that can lead to bad results and imo FM08 is very punishing when you do forget things.

To you these stats seem not fair, but looking through the eyes of your players not getting a wage raise after an incredible season also isn't fair to them.

On the other hand in many occasions i noticed that morale and pressure have much effect on games, maybe that could also be the case.

But yes something is wrong when you do have such results in row, but i can assure you this itself isn't a bug, otherwise every game would end with the dominating team losing.

This is more due to something you don't do or maybe did wrong in their eyes before those games.

If this happened to me in last case i would change my tactics because they create chances obviously.

But at least tweaking them and having good team talks and opposite instructions could help a lot.

Also i would check my strikers wage demands, by offering them a new contract.

If they ask for much more then their current wages, then you can be sure that's the problem.

I hope this helps you out somewhat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alstonrick:

It is NOT NOT NOT your tactics even though many will try a tell you it is. Which really infuriates me :-(

I believe it is a problem with this game, as I have had the same thing,

I was top of the league by xmas smashing everyone in sight, then bang, all of a sudden (I was still smashing everyone in sight - shots on/off, possesion etc.) but my whole team could not score :-( and I kept losing matches I was dominating.

Dont tell me, that by xmas the AI has figured out my tactics so now I need to 'tweak' them. If this was the case, I wouldnt be creating the 'good' chances in the first place and still dominating games.

AND, when was the last time Man Utd changed the way they play after the oppostion had so called 'sussed' their tactic? Answer is NEVER because they let the oppostion worry about them and let their world class players do what they do best, play fast attacking football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not happening to everyone which would suggest that it IS IS IS IS tactics which influence this.

Without ever going into the T&TGF, I have developed a tactic which gives pretty much the opposite stats that may of you are providing.

I don't get infuruated with idiots spouting garbage anymore. I just add them to my list.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I don't get infuruated with idiots spouting garbage anymore. I just add them to my list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn that list must be long after last months posts here! icon_biggrin.gif

sorry mike when did I say it happens all the time?, it happens, but thats is still not the point, it should never happen, all you people that are saying it dont happen will be the people that save the game and re load it when results dont go your way, I have several friends and they all experience the same problems with this game, read the reviews on Play.com, I aint making this up, all notice the amount of goals scored on 5,12, 45 and 72 mins, its a joke, and whilst I am at it why do we watch the stoppage time tick down everytime when we are winning, but when trailing the time just shoots by.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSCA4Ever:

I don't get infuruated with idiots spouting garbage anymore. I just add them to my list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn that list must be long after last months posts here! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

384 and rising.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alstonrick:

Fair enough Jim, but how can it be my tactics when im still dominating games, having plenty of good chances / shots on/off target??

So what has suddenly gone so wrong with my tactics? The answer is nothing!??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suggest that you are creating the wrong type of chances in the wrong areas of the pitch.

Without giving the game away, if you are failing to score from loads and loads and loads of chances where your striker is 1v1 with the GK through the middle, try and create chances which sees the shots taken from a either a different position or a different player.

Or you could just close your eyes and carry on as you are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fair enough Jim, but how can it be my tactics when im still dominating games, having plenty of good chances / shots on/off target??

So what has suddenly gone so wrong with my tactics? The answer is nothing!??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My players suddenly cant hit a barn door, why is this world is this down to tactics!??

"Player x clean through (oh hang on this guys tactics are wrong) he blazes over! Even his manager has his head in his hands"

Please enlighten us Jimbo if these posts are so unfounded..............

sorry mike when did I say it happens all the time?, it happens, but thats is still not the point, it should never happen, all you people that are saying it dont happen will be the people that save the game and re load it when results dont go your way, I have several friends and they all experience the same problems with this game, read the reviews on Play.com, I aint making this up, all notice the amount of goals scored on 5,12, 45 and 72 mins, its a joke, and whilst I am at it why do we watch the stoppage time tick down everytime when we are winning, but when trailing the time just shoots by. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, a lot of people who deny that it happens are exactly the kind of FM stalwarts who have played the game for yonks and would never reload.

And you can't say it should never happen. It DOES happen in real life!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would suggest that you are creating the wrong type of chances in the wrong areas of the pitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These were the same chances, with the same tactics that were working brilliantly in the 1st half of the season though icon13.gif

sorry mike when did I say it happens all the time?, it happens, but thats is still not the point, it should never happen, all you people that are saying it dont happen will be the people that save the game and re load it when results dont go your way, I have several friends and they all experience the same problems with this game, read the reviews on Play.com, I aint making this up, all notice the amount of goals scored on 5,12, 45 and 72 mins, its a joke, and whilst I am at it why do we watch the stoppage time tick down everytime when we are winning, but when trailing the time just shoots by. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why you say this should never happen?

I'm a Anderlecht fan and i seen my team irl lose some games in the past they totally dominated.

I also seen them sometimes win such games.

Did you read my previous post?

I gave enough reasons why this can happen and how to handle them.

Manchester United 0-0 Reading

Portsmouth 1-1 Manchester United

Manchester City 1-0 Manchester United

United had far more shots in those games, especially the last. Okay, so two were draws. But it still shows that you can dominate a run of games and still not get the hoped-for results.

RSCA4Ever: yeah I read it, but thats not the problem, I keep on tope of concerns as I know this could affect the team, they are creating chances with better players than the opposition but losing games, someone said shoot from different areas?? you mean changing to long shots and crossing from different areas, I have tried all this, the goals to shots ratio is wrong, I should just sign other teams strickers as the seem to score with a couple of chances, plus they are crappier than mine so will be cheaper.

It is possible that you will find a tactical combination that beats the engine , nobody denies that, 2 days ago i beat Arsenal 8-0 playing Larisa (fm07 and i did have a decent squad with many CA +150 players ) , finish 1st in Greek championship with 28 wins and 2 draws and reach CL semifinal(losing to man utd because half of my players were in their national teams playing friendlies...) .

It took me 1 full year to find that a tactic with 4 flat back 3 MCs and 3 STs beats the engine but give it a thought , nobody on the planet plays like that , the purpose of the game is not to beat the engine , right?

What the 3 STs do is that when one of the side ones enter the area GK closes one side of the post then my striker passes to the other side and get my other ST alone with the net, or take a rebound if GK saves ... cheap trick if you ask me capitalizing on the fact that GKs rarely hold the ball and almost always send it to the center of the box when they block shots . Again this is a hole in the AI.

I use 2 DMs and an AM (with marking skills) as MCs to win the ball and feed it directly to the front men using "down both flanks" (the "side" STs are AML/ST-AMR/ST with dribbling and crossing skills+arrows pointing out) , if those 3 mid fielders have any decent speed it is very very hard for any AI team to penetrated my midfield , not to mention that using full backs (because of their speed) as CDs causes the funny engine reaction " Losing ball in the midfield-Long pass up front-Fast deep defending CDs clear the ball easily".

I am not writing all that in the purpose of a tactical lesson (after all this is not my tactic i just tweaked a friend's one and it is not played in fm08 ), what i want to show is a series of cheap tricks without any realism that take advantage of engine's holes (or the way AI plays) to win games.

A dedicated player after a crapload of games will be able to read the engine despite opposition tactics but why the hell any gamer would do all that? and how the feck playing something totally absurd and without any logic can be called "simulation" ?

Wouldn't it be better to spend 2 hours RTFM and then set up a regular 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever be the best team in the pitch and win games? or be the worst team in the pitch and lose ?

Being the best and not winning because you don't have the time or the mental strength to sit down play 1000's of games and read what AI can do and what it can not is just annoying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnzy:

Again I think the match engine really struggles to show you a visual reprensentation of what is and isnt a good chance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that too.

Your speedy striker runs on to a ball over the top through the middle and finds himself 1vv with the GK. In real life you, (or at least I), think that this is an excellent opportunity. In the game however it is very different. Conversely, your winger running on to a similar ball, (but out on the flanks), has a far better chance of scoring despite aiming at a MUCH smaller target and seemingly the GK being favourite to make the save.

In a lot of cases, thinking of real football will give you an inkling as to what works in the game. In this, (and other), instances however, it hold little or no comparison to reality.

I started making progress in the game when I started to consider the match engine as seperate to the real game of football. It doesn't mean that real football and tactics should be ignored, but the match engine is different and needs to be treated differently.

Maybe the winger has the better chance of scoring because the goal keeper knows that he has more options than a one on one striker, one on one striker will shoot at goal - keeper ready for save. Winger coming in from wide could shoot or pull ball into middle for striker to shoot - keeper in 2 minds goal scored for example.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I started making progress in the game when I started to consider the match engine as seperate to the real game of football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this is a problem

Not as extreme as some of the examples I've seen here, but just to highlight that it happens this way sometimes when you get the tactics right.

Tight as a duck's chuff 4-5-1 slow, short passing, defensive mentality for 70 mins, go all-out attack, direct, 4-3-3 until I score, then revert to original, but with Ultra Def, and time wasting.

I knocked Inter out of the Uefa cup 3-2 on aggregate with similar stats, although they were leading at one point and I used my all-out 4-3-3 to come back. Think I got 5 shots on target all game the second leg, scored 2, against their 15-20 shots, scoring 1. Am at work at the moment, but will try to remember the screenie later.

Archived