FM10 ~ Official Leeds Utd Thread, wha-Jer-maine we're still in League One?

SGartz

anyone got the game early & started as Leeds yet? Any nice finds with a huge database???

I had an email saying I will get my game yesterday with next day delivery and guess what...it never came...woo! Hope to get it today but I doubt it now, I just want it for tomorrow deffinately!

Edit: I got my game today! Started my first save as Leeds, just about to start my first league game and this is my transfers so far:

Ins

Henri Camara - Free (expensive back up with wages)

Silviu Lung Jr - 200k (first choice keeper)

Ivan Campo - Free (hope to be a good defensive player)

Kikin Fonseca - 700k (the surprise signing, loved this guy in 08 and 09 and now i have him for leeds!)

Gavin Hoyte - Loan (parent is arsenal)

Vito Mannone - Loan

Nacer Barazite - Loan

Godwin Antwi - Free (back up)

Outs

Casper Ankergren - 20k

Luciano Becchio - 900k (mainly installments)

Andy Robinson - 100k (his wages needed gone)

Rui Marques - 60k

Alan Sheehan - 40k

Mike Grella - 100k

David Prutton - 18k

I know I could of gotten more money for these players but I just wanted shot of them all. Still trying to sell players and always looking for signings. We will see what happens.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my game this evening as well and so have really just started, but I must say I'm finding it harder to sign players in the full game than I did in the demo - seems to be more competition for them (which makes sense I suppose as I have more leagues running).

My signings so far:

LeedsUnited.png

I overpaid for Cristaldo I think but what the heck, the guy is quality. Although not actually as goon in my full game as he was in the demo, he's my best striker and still only 20.

And tbh at the moment I'm struggling to find anyone else, so I'll probably just go with what I have as I reckon it's good enough. Am now mainly on the look out for promising youngsters to sign but not managed to get any yet.

I did actually look at getting Fonseca as well but I currently have 5 strikers. Might still go for him though, I'm still only in August and the Board gave me an extra £2m transfer fees.

If anything my squad is still too big, need to offload a few more but can currently afford the wages so no real pressure to. Might play through to Jan and then get rid of any players than haven't featured by that point.

Got my game this evening as well and so have really just started, but I must say I'm finding it harder to sign players in the full game than I did in the demo - seems to be more competition for them (which makes sense I suppose as I have more leagues running).

My signings so far:

LeedsUnited.png

I overpaid for Cristaldo I think but what the heck, the guy is quality. Although not actually as goon in my full game as he was in the demo, he's my best striker and still only 20.

And tbh at the moment I'm struggling to find anyone else, so I'll probably just go with what I have as I reckon it's good enough. Am now mainly on the look out for promising youngsters to sign but not managed to get any yet.

I did actually look at getting Fonseca as well but I currently have 5 strikers. Might still go for him though, I'm still only in August and the Board gave me an extra £2m transfer fees.

If anything my squad is still too big, need to offload a few more but can currently afford the wages so no real pressure to. Might play through to Jan and then get rid of any players than haven't featured by that point.

What about Glauber, Lauren, Krivets & Skacel?

Or did you think that you didn't them?

Looks pretty good though:D

I had an email saying I will get my game yesterday with next day delivery and guess what...it never came...woo! Hope to get it today but I doubt it now, I just want it for tomorrow deffinately!

Edit: I got my game today! Started my first save as Leeds, just about to start my first league game and this is my transfers so far:

Ins

Henri Camara - Free (expensive back up with wages)

Silviu Lung Jr - 200k (first choice keeper)

Ivan Campo - Free (hope to be a good defensive player)

Kikin Fonseca - 700k (the surprise signing, loved this guy in 08 and 09 and now i have him for leeds!)

Gavin Hoyte - Loan (parent is arsenal)

Vito Mannone - Loan

Nacer Barazite - Loan

Godwin Antwi - Free (back up)

Outs

Casper Ankergren - 20k

Luciano Becchio - 900k (mainly installments)

Andy Robinson - 100k (his wages needed gone)

Rui Marques - 60k

Alan Sheehan - 40k

Mike Grella - 100k

David Prutton - 18k

I know I could of gotten more money for these players but I just wanted shot of them all. Still trying to sell players and always looking for signings. We will see what happens.

Fonseca will destroy League 1!! Was he transfer listed?

Up early and off to Morrisons' for when it opens!

Fonseca will destroy League 1!! Was he transfer listed?

Up early and off to Morrisons' for when it opens!

Nope at the start my staff suggested scouting him so i did and was told i could get him for 700k which is a bargain! As for those freebies stated earlier there was too much competition for them and went elsewhere! Got work till 3 but wont get back in till about 5! Loving the game!

Nope at the start my staff suggested scouting him so i did and was told i could get him for 700k which is a bargain! As for those freebies stated earlier there was too much competition for them and went elsewhere! Got work till 3 but wont get back in till about 5! Loving the game!

Where did you buy Fonseca from?

What about Glauber, Lauren, Krivets & Skacel?

Or did you think that you didn't them?

Looks pretty good though:D

I tried Glauber, Lauren and Krivets but as weebob said there was too much competition for them and they went elsewhere. Didn't try Skacel as I think I'm ok for left sided players. I've also lost count of the number of young promising players I've gone after (mainly based on recommendations on these forums) but haven't been able to get any of them. :eek:

Fonseca was recommended by one of the scouts at the start for me as well, I just signed him for £600k but I missed the end of the transfer window so he's joining 1/1/10. Becchio is leaving to join Coventry on the same date for £500k. :D

So far played 8 league games and I'm sitting 2nd, won 6 drawn 1 lost 1. Got Liverpool at Elland Road in the League Cup coming up next I think!

I'm at work myself now until later this evening but will be interesting to hear how everyone else is getting on!

I thought that would be the case on the free transfers. I guess you will have to make a big offer to land them. If you need a particular player - Glauber say - then max offer and player interaction might just do the trick. I'll see, soon.

I've got the game too and it's loading via Steam now!

For those who may have read my FM09 posts, I try to build a largely South American Leeds team; as I love the Latin flair. I'll post player tips later.

Where did you buy Fonseca from?

Tigres I think the team is called, he has scored 3 in 3 so far. I dont know who to play up with him because in all 3 of my games all 3 strikers have scored and played well. I have about 3 mil left to spend having just sign Sankhare from PSG for 1mil.

After a morning of play, here's where I stand.

In:

Cristaldo - 2M. As the other guy said, perhaps overpriced especally compared to the demo, but it can only be an investment long term.

Fonseca - 900K. Nice.

Juris Laizans - 35K. Experienced Latvian, brought in as Doyle was injured for 5 months in pre season.

Beto - 60 pounds, that's right, 60 quid. Even my unemployed ass could afford that, and an ex Brazilian international too. More cover for midfield.

Loans - Richie de Laet, Wladimir Weiss, Lee Naylor, Gylfi Sigurdsson

Out

Robinson - 300K

Michalik - 300K

Johnson - 400K

Prutton - 50K

Grella - 210K

Huntington - 120K

Marques - 90K

Showunmi - 160K

Becchio - 800K

Total income, 2.4M, total outlay, 2.9M.

Ken's not giving me any extra cash but I still have half a million to spend before the end of the window.

Just played my first game, a enjoyably resounding 5-0 demolition of Exeter. mmm.

Bought:

Fonseca for 600K euros +50%: 10 games - 13 goals - 5 assists - 7.95 rating! He's amazing!

John Fleck for 5M euros: (in previous FM versions he was great), had to sell almost all my players though...

BTW its seems a bit strange that Fleck and Fonseca joined league 1 side...

van der Meyde - free.

Seyfo Soley - free.

Neil Mellor - 110K euros - great substitute striker - 6 goals in 9 games as substitute.

Paul Wotton - 75K euros

Vratislav Gresko - free, but played only 3 games and now is injured for 12 months (!!!)

John Rooney - 50K euros - hope he will attract Wayne to Leeds :D

Mehdi Taouil - 60K euros

It is possible to sign Krivets and Glauber, mangage to sign them both first try. Glauber by giving max wages and incentives but didnt require a higher sign on fee than he asked for. Krivets I signed by bidding £1.5m then offereing max everything and also commenting on him saying id do my utmost to sign him. Both of which I did on the very first day, it seemed atleast for Krivets that not everyone that was interested in him come in for him if you bid straight off.

So far signed:

Krivets - £1.5m

Glauber - Free

Smolarekc - Free

Senicanin - Free

Sold:

Hughes - £90K

Huntingdon - £140K

Sheenan - £400K

Marques - £140K

Prutton - £65K

Robinson - £300K

Showunmi - £10K

Kandol - Free

Looking to bring in another striker.

Just started a game with Leeds now not that far in but enjoying it so far.

Suprised at the amount of very good players that will want to join Leeds especially Amr Zaki!

Anyway just about to play my first game against Exeter, Should hopefully thrash them as hoping to get out of League 1 first time with this squad i've assembled.

Transfers so far:

In:

Appiah - Free

Omozusi - Free

Lauren - Free

Glauber - Free

Campbell - Free

Van Der Meyde - Free

Jeremy Helan - 240k

Torric - 80k

Rabiu Ibrahim - 20k

Bruno Zuculini - 20k

Gonzalo Barreto - 475k

Nabil El Zher - Loan

Bouzanis - 85k

Out:

Becchio - 800k + 25% Sell On

Marques - 80k

Sheehan - 100k

Huntingdon - 50k

Parker - 35k

Hughes - 20k

Grella - 220k + 25%

Robinson - 140k

Michalik - 120k

Ankergen - 20k

Looking at getting in another striker currently negotiating with Smolarek so hopefully that comes off.

So far I've basically got most of the same as everyone else...I jsut need a good AMC/Trequartista. I've gone rather attacking with a diamond 442.

Just about to start the season, but I've demolished most of the friendlies including Birmingham. 4-2

One small update from me - signed Maurice Edu (a USA international midfielder) during the January transfer window for £500k from Rangers.

Doyle has now been sent back to Coventry as Edu is a much better player in the midfield holding role - am actually playing him as a deep lying playmaker (defend) and he's been fantastic. Snodin reckons he'd be a good player for most Premier League sides. :D

leedstransfers1.jpg

leedstransfers2.jpg

Above are a couple of screenies of player ins and outs. I loaded a custom database of South American players and the large database to sign them.

Along with Fonseca, the pick of the signings are Mota, Lasnik, Viera, Smolarek, Yakuba, Jaime Junior, Glauber and Bueno who are high end Championship quality.

You will see that I also added a number of high PA (from the shortlist) hot prospects.

Viera and Glauber are difficult to land, I made BIG offers to land them. They are not really replaceable for anything other than massive transfer fees, so I figured the hefty signing on fees were worth.

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the players and my apologies over the quality of the screen shot - I'm out of practice.

A couple more added on transfer deadline day:

Ivan Kaviedes, Ecuadorian International, free transfer.

Bruno Montelongo, 21 yo versatile Uraguayan.

My plan is to add value and then sell 5-8 of the squad in the January transfer window and add a couple of quality players, maybe Walter if I can get a w/p?

I signed Max Noble (AMR) on a freebie at the start of the game for Leeds and he's great, Goodwin Antwi as backup rightback is ok as a freebie, upfront signed O'conner to partner Beckford sold Bechio 950k to Boca good bit of business there and I love Notts County for signing my rejects. Ihave signed doyle permanatly for 375K over 48 months and made him skipper as Naylor doesn't get a look in with Kisnobo & Bromby been so solid at the back

Just a thought regarding lack of good AMRs in this FM.

Is it worth retraining Snoddy as an AMR & getting a decent AML?

I just used Robinson/Howson/van der Meyde on the right, they're good enough for League 1 - will be having another look for decent wide players in the Championship.

Also, Nicko Blaggo - interesting to see all those south american players, unfortunately most aren't in my game database it seems (even though I'm running Argentinian and Brazilian leagues) - ah well!

Just finished my first Leeds season and it turned out pretty good:

Coca-ColaLeague1.png

It was actually a pretty close run thing though - was 10 points behind MK Dons at the end of December as away form in the first few months was a bit dodgy. Switching to playing counterattacking away from home plus getting Fonseca and Edu in in January turned it around and I finally overtook MK Dons at the top with about 6 games left (and those last 6 games included playing both Southend and MK Dons at Elland Road, so wins in both of those games really helped.) I think we only lost 1 game from January onwards.

Top players in order of average rating:

Squadendofseason1.png

Fonseca (target man) and Smolarek (deep lying forward) were an amazing partnership up front, with Beckford as cover. I played Cristaldo and Grella as the strikers in most of the cup games and we ended up winning the JPT so that was a nice bonus as well. :thup:

So now to start rebuilding the squad for the Championship - something that will have to wait as after today I'm on holiday for 2 weeks!

I am struggling with Leeds, I haven't made any signings yet as the current squad should win league one pretty easy.

I have won only 3 in 11 in div one games. I can't really put my finger on what I am doing wrong, just hope I don't get the sack.

I just used Robinson/Howson/van der Meyde on the right, they're good enough for League 1 - will be having another look for decent wide players in the Championship.

Also, Nicko Blaggo - interesting to see all those south american players, unfortunately most aren't in my game database it seems (even though I'm running Argentinian and Brazilian leagues) - ah well!

Just finished my first Leeds season and it turned out pretty good:

Coca-ColaLeague1.png

It was actually a pretty close run thing though - was 10 points behind MK Dons at the end of December as away form in the first few months was a bit dodgy. Switching to playing counterattacking away from home plus getting Fonseca and Edu in in January turned it around and I finally overtook MK Dons at the top with about 6 games left (and those last 6 games included playing both Southend and MK Dons at Elland Road, so wins in both of those games really helped.) I think we only lost 1 game from January onwards.

Top players in order of average rating:

Squadendofseason1.png

Fonseca (target man) and Smolarek (deep lying forward) were an amazing partnership up front, with Beckford as cover. I played Cristaldo and Grella as the strikers in most of the cup games and we ended up winning the JPT so that was a nice bonus as well. :thup:

So now to start rebuilding the squad for the Championship - something that will have to wait as after today I'm on holiday for 2 weeks!

Congratulations and enjoy your hols!

I am struggling with Leeds, I haven't made any signings yet as the current squad should win league one pretty easy.

I have won only 3 in 11 in div one games. I can't really put my finger on what I am doing wrong, just hope I don't get the sack.

What tactics are you using?

I played standard 4-4-2 but tweaked it as follows:

Both home and away

CM - made one of the midfielders a "ball winning midfielder:defend" (Doyle)

Strikers - set on "advanced forward:attack" (Beckford) and "deep lying forward:support" (Becchio/Grella)

then at home:

- Played attacking

- 2 wide midfielders both set as "wingers:attack" (Snodgrass and Robinson)

other CM set on support (Howson/Kilkenny)

- Fairly often used the touchline shout "exploit flanks"

Away

- Played counterattack

- 1 wide midfielder set as "winger:attack" (usually Right MF - Robinson) but the other one set as "wide midfielder:support" (usually Left MF - Snodgrass)

- other CM again set on support

- and again used touchline shout "exploit flanks"

We started slowly in my game, had a few bad away results to start with but once I went with counterattacking away it improved a lot.

Only other real change I made was to play Fonseca as a "target man" rather than "advanced forward" once I'd bought him in January.

Hope this helps - the Leeds squad should be good enough to do well without the need for any real changes but a couple of signings can also make things a lot easier (especially up front.)

The game is a little tripped against you so you can't really compare it to real life. In game the squad is adequate, not good. However, it can be improved easily and most players moved on for good money so that you can buy better ones. That said, even with the squad you inherit you should be winning more than 3 in 11. So, Coen's advice on tactics is probably spot on. Tbh, I'd be tempted to change your tactics and might even start again; you certainly need better players if you want to win the league. For example, in my game I've won 14 out of 15 games, but am only just ahead of Millwall!

What tactics are you using?

I played standard 4-4-2 but tweaked it as follows:

Both home and away

CM - made one of the midfielders a "ball winning midfielder:defend" (Doyle)

Strikers - set on "advanced forward:attack" (Beckford) and "deep lying forward:support" (Becchio/Grella)

then at home:

- Played attacking

- 2 wide midfielders both set as "wingers:attack" (Snodgrass and Robinson)

other CM set on support (Howson/Kilkenny)

- Fairly often used the touchline shout "exploit flanks"

Away

- Played counterattack

- 1 wide midfielder set as "winger:attack" (usually Right MF - Robinson) but the other one set as "wide midfielder:support" (usually Left MF - Snodgrass)

- other CM again set on support

- and again used touchline shout "exploit flanks"

We started slowly in my game, had a few bad away results to start with but once I went with counterattacking away it improved a lot.

Only other real change I made was to play Fonseca as a "target man" rather than "advanced forward" once I'd bought him in January.

Hope this helps - the Leeds squad should be good enough to do well without the need for any real changes but a couple of signings can also make things a lot easier (especially up front.)

I play a similar style to you at home but away I play the same. I think I will create another tactic to use away from home, maybe a counter like yours. Ta.

The game is a little tripped against you so you can't really compare it to real life. In game the squad is adequate, not good. However, it can be improved easily and most players moved on for good money so that you can buy better ones. That said, even with the squad you inherit you should be winning more than 3 in 11. So, Coen's advice on tactics is probably spot on. Tbh, I'd be tempted to change your tactics and might even start again; you certainly need better players if you want to win the league. For example, in my game I've won 14 out of 15 games, but am only just ahead of Millwall!

I know but, as a massive Leeds fan I feel sad moving on all the players I cheer on week in week out IRL. I could not for example get rid of Becchio or Beckford! This may be silly but I really wanna succeed with the current squad and bring on the youth players and only sign players who are real class. Things are slowly picking up, I have created an away counter tactic and I've had a three wins on the bounce now. Maybe it's just taken a while for the players to blend?

Edit: One thing I notice is that most of the goals I concede are from sloppy defending. I'm using zonal marking with DC's on man marking. It's funny as my DC's are the best players in my team (according to the stars rating system).

I'm tempted to upload my game and let you guys have a look and see where I am going wrong!

I know but, as a massive Leeds fan I feel sad moving on all the players I cheer on week in week out IRL. I could not for example get rid of Becchio or Beckford! This may be silly but I really wanna succeed with the current squad and bring on the youth players and only sign players who are real class. Things are slowly picking up, I have created an away counter tactic and I've had a three wins on the bounce now. Maybe it's just taken a while for the players to blend?

I know mate, I feel the same - but you've got to harden your heart and move them on. If you don't push the quality of the side up each year the big boys will destroy you when you get to the Prem. Compare Becchio (who is my favourite player IRL) with Fonseca. Who's gonna get you 35-40 goals in game?

I know mate, I feel the same - but you've got to harden your heart and move them on. If you don't push the quality of the side up each year the big boys will destroy you when you get to the Prem. Compare Becchio (who is my favourite player IRL) with Fonseca. Who's gonna get you 35-40 goals in game?

You're right of course. I need to move on! I just wanted a season or two with my hero's first.

I now have the press on my back, they think I am a defeat away from getting the sack! Have you noticed that when you are struggling you never get any home games!

What's frustrating is that I am dominating teams as well. I have over 20 shots per match usually and I have more possession, higher tackling. The chances on the highlights my players miss all seem to be easy chances too.

You're right of course. I need to move on! I just wanted a season or two with my hero's first.

I now have the press on my back, they think I am a defeat away from getting the sack! Have you noticed that when you are struggling you never get any home games!

What's frustrating is that I am dominating teams as well. I have over 20 shots per match usually and I have more possession, higher tackling. The chances on the highlights my players miss all seem to be easy chances too.

I know mate - that's why you need a "gun" up front. Believe me, Fonseca does not miss; bullets them in!

Notts County have kindly taken 5 players off my hands: Robinson, Marques, Sheehan, Hughes and Michalik.

I played the demo as County and took Huntington and Sheehan off you, very good signings too, albeit a league below. Tried to get Prutton too but he wasn't interested. County appear to be loaded in this version.

I see the trend here is to buy loads of players but i havent done so and its not really necessary. I disabled the first transfer window so each team starts with the real squad they have. I'm doing very well with Leeds having 77 points from 31 games and 10 points ahead of 2nd placed team. Try it out guys, you dont really need to be buying 10+ players to do well

Only just started my Leeds game but Beckford is scoring for fun with the tactics I've come up with.

picture1nu.png

picture2fb.png

I've not really brought too many new players in yet and my defense will need a proper overall but I'll win the league easy as long as I don't have any major injuries. I've post some more updates after more of an in depth play.

I see the trend here is to buy loads of players but i havent done so and its not really necessary. I disabled the first transfer window so each team starts with the real squad they have. I'm doing very well with Leeds having 77 points from 31 games and 10 points ahead of 2nd placed team. Try it out guys, you dont really need to be buying 10+ players to do well

I agree. I'm not one to buy lots of players, maybe one signing per year for me. Do like the look at Fonseca though although he would cost me 50% of my budget.

The starting Leeds squad is good enough to get promotion (I played the demo through to Jan without buying any new players and was top of the league after 24 games), the trouble is though it needs a major overhaul once you get to the Championship, so might as well start that overhaul as soon as possible - especially as players are available cheaply/for free at the start who will be good enough for the Championship.

Looking at the Assistant Manager ratings of my current squad having been promoted, I only reckon 3 of the original Leeds squad are good enough to be starters in the Championship, the rest aren't really good enough.

However, 4 of the players I brought in are Championship quality players - so basically at the start of the Championship season only 7 of my squad are really good enough to cut it, and 4 of those are players I brought in in League 1.

Major rebuilding needed! :D

The starting Leeds squad is good enough to get promotion (I played the demo through to Jan without buying any new players and was top of the league after 24 games), the trouble is though it needs a major overhaul once you get to the Championship, so might as well start that overhaul as soon as possible - especially as players are available cheaply/for free at the start who will be good enough for the Championship.

Looking at the Assistant Manager ratings of my current squad having been promoted, I only reckon 3 of the original Leeds squad are good enough to be starters in the Championship, the rest aren't really good enough.

However, 4 of the players I brought in are Championship quality players - so basically at the start of the Championship season only 7 of my squad are really good enough to cut it, and 4 of those are players I brought in in League 1.

Major rebuilding needed! :D

Kisnorbo, Snodgrass & Bromby (just)?

Kisnorbo, Snodgrass & Bromby (just)?

Close!

Kisnorbo and Snodgrass are definitely good enough to be first teamers in the Championship for me. I don't think Bromby is quite up to it though, I will probably end up keeping him next season as other areas need strengthening more but he'll be one I'll be looking to replace at some point.

Howson is the other one that I think will make my starting team at the moment. :)

Just got sacked after loosing about 5 games in a row. Everything I did had the opposite desired effect. Signed Fonseca and he was crap. 8 games 0 goals. Losing 3-0 4-0 each game despite playing basic, sensible 4-4-2 with best players in the league. I think my games broken :(

Just got sacked after loosing about 5 games in a row. Everything I did had the opposite desired effect. Signed Fonseca and he was crap. 8 games 0 goals. Losing 3-0 4-0 each game despite playing basic, sensible 4-4-2 with best players in the league. I think my games broken :(

I can't get motivated to start a new game after that. Cheers SI for ruining my day! ;)

Don't give up!

Took me about 10 runs through the first half season on the demo before I figured out what I wanted to do with my team, and even then I still had a dodgy start to the season on the full game. :D

Just on with the start of my "career" game on FM, with the mighty Leeds (reckon I can get 7 points clear in league one by 31st Oct...Unlikely!!)

Anyway, made a few signings, and edited in Vokes & Gradel on Loan deals...

In

Omozusi - Free

Glauber - Free

Van Der Meyde - Free

Rodriguez - 900k (Reckon he will be immense though)

Out

Grella - Derby 140k

Hughes - Luton 30k

Sheehan - Doncaster 40k

Hotchkiss - Stevenage 3k

Not much activity, but Uncle Ken is on my case about the wage bill, so a few more will go before window shuts.

Started well, including pre season, i've played 10, won 9 drawn one and am yet to concede a goal.

Could do with a pointer on one thing. I set my MR / ML to support wide midfielders away and wingers at home. I just played Wycombe away, and struggled to a poor 1-0 win. Do you think I have this set up Ok ?

Also I have Rodriguez as a deep lying playmaker away and an advanced playmaker at home.

Any tips to keep my run going? (and maybe a new target man, Vokes doesn't look good enough!)

Ta

Archived