FM08: Official Liverpool Thread

Originally posted by zeus1892:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eiler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chrisz:

I feel aurelio is very under rated by most ppl in the forum, he has been the highest rated player for me in season 2 for my pool side!! he scores great free kicks!!

Xabi too! he scores wonder goals and seems to be having a greater influence than gerrad!!

Yep, Aurelio is very good for me too. I'm rotating him and Marcelo at LB. Aurelio is very injury prone and only plays about one third of the games, but Marcelo is great as back up.

Alonso was my most important player in the first season. Brilliant playmaker and hardly ever lost possesion. But then Real Madrid made a £16m bid which I obviously rejected, and Alonso has been unhappy since, saying he needs a new challenge. I'm now near the end of september and he's still unhappy and his performances have dropped as a result. If he keeps slipping up, I might have to give Lucas a run in the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> If i was you mate, id get rid of him now and get the big money before his performances scare away intrested parties, lucas can become even better than xabi if you give him a long run in the team, plus once a player wants a new challenge theres no chance they change there minds! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it doesn't change, I'll sell him in january. Problem is, I don't think £16m is a good deal for me. I was hoping to get almost twice that for him. But we'll see. Mascherano and Lucas are both good cover for him so if he keeps bitchin', I'll let him go.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I'm finally going to start a game with my beloved Reds, and I'm looking for some advice on tactics if you don't plan on buying/selling any big names? I will be buying primarily youngsters, maybe Ignaschevic for cover at CB. If I sell anyone I think it will be Sissoko. I think the squad has a fair amount of depth but I'm not sure how to set up the team, I'm thinking a narrow diamond and maybe one or two other options, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Guys, how do u get the most out of stevie G?

i played him both MC with farrow and MR with farrow, avr. 7.20 first season :-/ me thinks he should do better, so where do you play him and more importantly, what personal instructions do you give him?

I play Stevie G as a MC next to Xabi with Mascherano/Sissoko as DMC.

Team Mentality, 1 notch below 'much' creativity (main creativity comes from Xabi) dead centre mixed passing, 1 notch into 'whole pitch' closing down.

Forward Runs - Often

Run with Ball - Mixed

Long Shots - Often

Through Balls - Often

Cross Ball - Mixed

For my formation he arrives late into the box and generally unmarked which leads to the more than occasional 30yd killer goal. icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Spengler:

What to people reckon cos i'm not sure i've done the right thing!

Sold Agger to Madrid for £13million and bought Swason in from Spurs for £7million.

Anydoby got experience of Dawson in this game?

Has anybody successfully bought Micah Ricgards and if so for how much?

Cheers

Yeah i bought him for 23m at the end of the first season

I'm in the January transfer window.

The premiership table is like this

Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

1st Liverpool 20 17 3 0 59 19 54

2nd Man U 20 13 5 2 38 16 44

3rd Arsenal 20 11 6 3 34 13 39

4th Chelsea 20 11 5 4 33 13 38

5th Portsmouth 20 10 5 5 27 23 34

Here is my Squad

GK:Reina,Carson

RB:Ratinho,Barragan

LB:Insua,Marcelo

CB:Carragher,Agger,Breno,Hobbs

DM:Lucas,Pirlo,Mascherano,Banega,Guthrie

AM:Gerrard,M.Fernandez,Quaresma,Babel,Riquelme

ST:Aguero,Torres

I also have Lulinha,Ninis,Hammil,Bouzanis,Vanger Love(out on loan to get WP),Alex,Zarate,D Le Tallec in the reserves.

I have 140m to spend,Who should I buy??

Originally posted by Eiler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chrisz:

I feel aurelio is very under rated by most ppl in the forum, he has been the highest rated player for me in season 2 for my pool side!! he scores great free kicks!!

Xabi too! he scores wonder goals and seems to be having a greater influence than gerrad!!

Yep, Aurelio is very good for me too. I'm rotating him and Marcelo at LB. Aurelio is very injury prone and only plays about one third of the games, but Marcelo is great as back up.

Alonso was my most important player in the first season. Brilliant playmaker and hardly ever lost possesion. But then Real Madrid made a £16m bid which I obviously rejected, and Alonso has been unhappy since, saying he needs a new challenge. I'm now near the end of september and he's still unhappy and his performances have dropped as a result. If he keeps slipping up, I might have to give Lucas a run in the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ea couldnt agree more... riise doesnt seem to be that effective anymore ,esp in free kicks. its like they nerfed him haha... anyways..lucas is immense, he has one of the highest potential abilities around, 184 if i am not wrong, can be retrained to an AMC too..

Am surprised that the board would let xabi go too...if u have to sell him, hes worth at least 30 mil in my opinion.... i know AC and madrid hv tried to get him but have rejected them outright

Originally posted by Chrisz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eiler:

Alonso was my most important player in the first season. Brilliant playmaker and hardly ever lost possesion. But then Real Madrid made a £16m bid which I obviously rejected, and Alonso has been unhappy since, saying he needs a new challenge. I'm now near the end of september and he's still unhappy and his performances have dropped as a result. If he keeps slipping up, I might have to give Lucas a run in the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ea couldnt agree more... riise doesnt seem to be that effective anymore ,esp in free kicks. its like they nerfed him haha... anyways..lucas is immense, he has one of the highest potential abilities around, 184 if i am not wrong, can be retrained to an AMC too..

Am surprised that the board would let xabi go too...if u have to sell him, hes worth at least 30 mil in my opinion.... i know AC and madrid hv tried to get him but have rejected them outright </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sold Riise in my first season for close to £10m at signed Marcelo for £5.5m. Excellent buisness since I also have Insua as Aurelio/Marcelo's understudy.

I've just sold Alonso to AC Milan. Real Madrid, Barca and the Mancs all bid for him too. I rejected the mancs, obviously, so he agreed terms with Milan. I really didn't want to let him go but his unhappines wasn't doing anything for my team and morale. £15m up front and £30m over 24 months. Decent deal I guess. Time for Lucas and Mascherano to step up to the plate. Sissoko's made the MCd his own with high closing down and hard tackling. Breaks up attacks for fun. Hopefully Lucas will make the necessary step up to replace Xabi as Momo's partner in the centre.

alrite chaps, havent posted for a few days as i thought i take a few days off, im in november in my 4th season. My squad quite possibly has no flaws for the formation that I play, bar maybe left back, cudve got chielini but im tryin to lure fabregas to anfield, he wants to come but arsenal wont let him go.

If any1 wants any screenshots of how young players develop etc, then let me know.

erm, andreas simon and kristain nemeth have both played league cup football, anderson, insua and leto are in my first team but i keep letting them out on loan if i get a chance as they both dont start evry game, antwi and hobbs are recommended as good premier division signings, oh and dean bouzanis is recommended to be as good as akinfeev and reina, so i wud keep him aswell. As for spearing, darby, el zhar, none of them were good enuf

Originally posted by woolfc:

btw any1 signed mika aaritalo, i signed him for 150k for man city and he was utter class, just wondering if any1 has signed him for liverpool and if he cud cut it at a bigger club

I have him. Signed him in the first season for about 200k. I'm now in my second season and he's worth £6m. He's not a regular starter but a good utility player to have on the bench since he can play in so many positions. And even if you don't use him regularly, his value will still rise quickly and you can sell him for a profit a year or two later. He seems more than happy to be a back up to the first team and always does a good job when called upon. I've been tempted to give him a good run in the team to see what I can get out of him because sporadic match experience probably isn't the best way to develop him into a class player, but the competition for places is tough. So for now he remains back up.

Originally posted by jack0923:

zombie...torres scores for me but makes very very few.what formation you play and what instructions do you give him?

I use a 4-2-3-1 formation.

----------------Reina-----------------

--------------------------------------

-Ratinho--Carragher---Agger---Marcelo-

--------Mascherano---Lucas------------

----Aguero-----Gerrard----M.Fernandez-

---------------Torres-----------------

Torres has

Tackling-Easy

Foward runs-Mixed

Run With Ball-Mixed

Long Shots-Mixed

Though Balls-Often

Cross Ball-Rarely

If someone can tell me where to upload my tactic I will upload it.

Originally posted by deanzzz:

wow what year are you in to get 140mil transfers

maybe look to get a replacement for carragher, i see you have hobbs but he isnt much chop on my game maybe he plays better for you haha

I'm half way though my 2nd season.Carragher has got an avarge rating 7.53 so he won't be dropped any time soon.Plus Hobbs is just getting better and better every time I play him and I have a few good young players in my youth squad(Saivet,Wilnaldum etc..)

Originally posted by Sweet-Zombie-Jesus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jack0923:

zombie...torres scores for me but makes very very few.what formation you play and what instructions do you give him?

Torres has

Tackling-Easy

Foward runs-Mixed

Run With Ball-Mixed

Long Shots-Mixed

Though Balls-Often

Cross Ball-Rarely

If someone can tell me where to upload my tactic I will upload it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play the same formation with Torres my lone striker, i was wondering whether you set his instructions up differently when playing away from home. Because he's awesome at home for me but away from home he's constantly getting 6's

My formation looks a lot like that. I have sarrows (or what ever you call the side-arrows) on the AMCr and AMCl which makes them almost function as wingers. Do you use that?

Originally posted by Eiler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sweet-Zombie-Jesus:

My formation looks a lot like that. I have sarrows (or what ever you call the side-arrows) on the AMCr and AMCl which makes them almost function as wingers. Do you use that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have 3 AMC,the two wide ones run into the box.

Also I need some HG player for the CL.Is there any good english players that have a chance of breaking into my frist team squad?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sweet-Zombie-Jesus:

My formation looks a lot like that. I have sarrows (or what ever you call the side-arrows) on the AMCr and AMCl which makes them almost function as wingers. Do you use that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also I need some HG player for the CL.Is there any good english players that have a chance of breaking into my frist team squad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I forgot to add,The player has to be 24 or younger.

Also I need some HG player for the CL.Is there any good english players that have a chance of breaking into my frist team squad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have just signed Micah Richards for that very purpose. He cost me £25m thoughicon_wink.gif

I was considering getting rid of the sarrows and playing a more narrow style. Maybe I'll try the runs into the box instead. Do you have the three AMCs in free roles?

Would love to have a look at your tactic since we play the same formation. Would like to see how you go about it.

Maybe you could upload it to rapidshare or something like that?

Results Update

March

League

Newcastle 1 - 4 Liverpool

Gerrard, Mascherano 2, Crouch

Aston Villa 1 - 2 Liverpool

Gerrard 2

Fulham 0 - 1 Liverpool

Torres

Man Utd 1 - 1 Liverpool

Gerrard

Liverpool 1 - 1 Tottenham

Torres

F.A Cup 6th Round

Portsmouth 1 - 3 Liverpool

Voronin 2, Crouch

European Cup 1st Knockout Round Leg 2

Celtic 1 - 3 Liverpool

Torres 2, Agger

Just starting a game with Liverpool and I'm after some advice:-

Sell Vorinin Pennant Kewell and Kuyt?

Formation??

Buy:- Central Dender, Right Back and a Striker (any recommendations)?

Staff (who to keep and bring in)?

Youth players (who to keep)?

Thank you,

Ste.

If your just starting Ste, then heres a bit of advice, i got 5m for kuyt, 4m for pennant and sweet fa for voronin in my second season, so try an sell them in your 1st transfer window

As a formation I 'm having great success with a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1, with two CMs, an AML AMR (both with forward arrows to centre forward) and AMC with a lone striker. But Im not really the cautious type so I dunno how you wanna do it

The signings Id recommend in the positions tour looking for, maybe breno (sao paolo) or david (from palmeiras) as you dont need someone to come in straight away as agger and jc are both immense, maybe zaccardo (palermo) or rafinha (schalke), both availible for 10m i believe, maybe lower, theyre both good enuf for any team on the game. Strikerwise I highly recommend baptista, martins, zarate, saviola.

Cant think off hand of any staff names, I find doing an attribute search (e.g. judging player potential and player search both abve 18 for a club like lfc if your looking for a scout)

Youth players I wud keep are definately hobbs, antwi, nemeth, simon, anderson, bouzanis, insua.

Also if you want bring in a few youngsters like saivet (bordeaux), zeefuik (psv), sakho (psg), jukka lehtovaara (dunno club name).

Have fun mate, hope this helps

btw Im in my 4th season so if any1 wants any info, screenshots etc then let me know

Originally posted by SteJones:

Just starting a game with Liverpool and I'm after some advice:-

Sell Vorinin Pennant Kewell and Kuyt?

If you plan on playing with two up front, keep Kuyt and play him as target man with ball to head next to Torres. He'll get his fair share of goals and set up loads. That way you can spent hte money on more urgent areas and sell him in a season or two.

Aha! I finally got my FM2008 for almost two weeks now. As usual since CM4, playing Liverpool, yada yada yada. Here's some highlights I've done for the first season (which is still ongoing):

- Sacked half of the coaching staff (Ablett, Miller among the casualties) and re-hired Pako as AssMan. As soon as the season's done, I'm gonna revamp the whole coaching staff.

- Bought Croat duo Luka Modric (3.5m pounds) and Darijo Srna (7.5m pounds) (Pako voiced out that midfield needs cover, which is weird as I thought the one needing cover is at the back), with Modric being the revelation of the current campaign.

- Struggled with 4-4-2 as I could not break through Chelski even after 20+ games, so rotated between 4-3-3 for easy home games (with defensive mid and two wingers with farrows) and 4-5-1 for tricky away fixtures (with 2 defensive mids and an attacking mid).

- Long layoff for Stevie G and Masch means that Lucas and Modric had extended runs in the first team. The problem came when Stevie and Masch returned to first-team action when Modric is a creative force in the team as chief playmaker.

- Torres has been an assassin in front of goal as a lone striker. I only play Crouch when the height needs to be there. It's hard to slot in Kuyt and Voronin when Torres and Crouch has been outstanding the whole time.

- 11 wins and a draw against Chelski away is a good omen for my Liverpool team. Top of the table, with Everton at second.

So there. I'm enjoying my FM08 right now.

Archived