The Scottish Clan

Rosco Van Nistelrooy

Alasdair Shaw's Programme Notes Thursday 11/09/03

Dear Supporters,

It was a close thing, but I’m delighted to announce our coronation as the champions of the Bells Second Division, making it the second year in a row we’ve been the king of the league. Our triumph couldn’t have been slimmer however, as the league trophy was secured only by a superior goal difference over our closest rivals Queens Park. The Spiders have provided stiff competition for the flag this year and have contributed to one of the most exciting finales that the league has seen.

Coincidently, my roundup begins with our home fixture against Gary Toner’s Queens Park side, who were three points ahead of us at this time; making it a must win fixture from my point of view.

Injuries to Cowan, Murray, Mortimer and Scott forced me to shuffle the pack and take a gamble in the shape of a 3412 formation.

A superb free kick from Kelly got us off to a rotten start and left me flushing, but Stevie Nicholas is an absolute diamond and he poked from 6 yards before putting us in front by slipping past his defender and slotting home.

Veteran goal scoring ace Boksic then gave us a two goal cushion by heading home from a Holloway corner kick, but I was concerned with the card happy referee who had booked no fewer than six players before half time.

With such an important advantage we played it safe in the second half and despite Mackie’s goal we held on for a crucial 3-2 win, which made the league table all the more exciting as we went top on goal difference with just three games remaining.

On paper at least, the easiest game of our run in was the visit of bottom place Alloa and I was determined to ensure we secured maximum points. Clague’s bullet header opened the scoring and we were soon two up when Nicholas set up Fisken to rifle a shot home.

Fisken then turned creator with some clever work down the left flank, crossing in for Clague to nod the ball into the net at the near post. The 4-0 hammering was polished off by Howell’s first goal for the club, as he rose to head in a Nicholas corner kick.

It was a super win and make sure that we remained top for our next tricky away tie.

The last time we visited Gayfield we saw a cracking goal fest and this game was to be no different. If I’m ever going to have a heart attack it will probably be in Arbroath as we threw away an early three goal advantage. Goals from Clague, Howell and a superb solo effort from Nicholas had us 3-0 up inside 20 minutes, but my side like to get my blood pumping and Arbroath sparked an incredible comeback with goals from McMillan, Heenan and Browlie making it 3-3 and we hadn’t even reached half time.

The match produced some cracking entertainment, with Boksic netting a rebound and Nicholas bagging another of his now trademark wonder goals to make it 5-3. But Arbroath would not die and my finger nails were chewed to the extreme as Heenan’s shot took a wicked deflection to end up in the net. However Nicholas scooped ownership of the match ball by completing his hat trick with an accurate shot from the edge of the box to terminate a thrilling 6-4 encounter and more importantly give us the points needed to stay on top spot.

We’ll sorely miss Nicholas next year as he hooks up with Albion Rovers in the SPL. His goals and weaving runs have been a joy to watch, but I wish him well in Scotland’s top league and am sure that he can deliver more of the same against tougher opposition.

And so we came to the final day of the season with a difficult trip to Hamilton standing between us and the league championship. Nothing but a win would do, however there are few tougher place to pick up points than Hamilton. Confidence was high as we looked to make it five straight wins in the league, but we got off to a horror start as poor defending let Russell sneak in to scored from a corner kick.

Time was slipping away and due to the ramblings of BBC Scotland being devoted to the Old Firm as usual, I had to rely on the smoke signals from Hampden telling me that Queens Park were winning.

But there is always hope when you have the quality of players like Neal Clague and his equaliser restored hope and sparked a mad rush for a winner in the final 20 minutes.

And Clague was to have me sprinting off the bench in celebration as he found the goal that put us ahead not only in the match, but in the league table. Blinker’s clever pass let Clague race away and slot home and there was time to crown own championship win when Fisken belted the ball up field from inside his own half and scored a memorable, if slightly fotruorous goal to make the final score 3-1.

The win tied us on points with Queens Park, but our superior goal difference gives us the league trophy to cap another fantastic season that has witnessed us progress up to a better league. Life in the First Division will be tough as there are a lot of quality teams in there and everyone will be battling for that solitaty promotion spot for the SPL. My squad will need totally gutted in the summer and I hope to bring in a number of new and better players to compete in what promises to be another exciting season.

Enjoy the new season in the First Division!

Alasdair Shaw, Stirling Albion FC Manager

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Powlay:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sav112:

Hay lads I signed three new coaches and they are in the staff list but when I got to training there not there, any ideas what is wrong or is it just the game? icon_confused.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

were they coaches when you signed them or just scouts with classy coaching stats? if so they cant coach without a coaching badge icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was looking I looked for unemployed and coaches, I am sure I did but not certain. It’s all too much you know with Turps winning the 3rd it probably distracted me. I hired them anyway and they had ok coaching skills.

In the next game can you check if they have badges or not? If they don’t can they get them lol?

Sav.

AlexHolliganBanner.jpg

We have a couple of sayings in the service you know,

"does anyone hear any broken glass"

"or better get some custard for the crumble"

Well after a season that started so well and promising, the Blue Toon have ended with no silverware, and rock bottom morale.

Looking back over the season its easy to pinpoint where we went wrong. The lads crumbled when it counted.

We lost 3 out of the 4 important crucial games against Albion Rovers.

We lost 2-1 in the challenge cup final to inferior opposition.

We were posted missing 4-1 against Dundee in what would have been a glorius opportunity to rescue something from this season in the SFA final. (we had humped dundee 4-2 only weeks before)

I have a teamn of talent, but some of these high class fanny boys will be making way for some lads who can hold it together when it counts. Dogs is hurting icon_wink.gif when i lost that final it put me off my beer icon_razz.gif.

I have a shortlist of boys in mind who will propell Peterhead to the next level.

Next season will be Peterheads year

We will Destroy !!!!!!!! (especially now that Ally is now nickerless icon_wink.gif )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogs:

Next season will be Peterheads year

We will Destroy !!!!!!!! (especially now that Ally is now nickerless icon_wink.gif )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha! I'd rather be nickerless than be crapping my pants like you are. Stirling are on the rise! icon_razz.gif

Al

The Spiders Web

We wind up the season asmy full congratulations go out to Al and his team up at Stirling Albion on a job well done, myself being named manager of the year and Keith Kelly being named of player of the year it was little more than consolation.

We start of the round up in a title decider with a game against Stirling in a game that both teams had some major injury doubts, Keith Kelly fired Queens in front early on with a superb free kick but he could do nothing when two quick fire goals from an in-form Nicholas as Stirling put themself in front Boksic added a 3rd and it was game over even though Mackie scored a consolation for Queens park to make sure of a exciting finish.

Stirling 3 - 2 Queens Park

We travelled to broadwood knowning we had to win to keep the pressure on Stirling and it was a returning Crozier that opened the scoring with a 30 yard volley on the 6th minute.

Gez murphy added to the scoreline late on to seal all 3 points.

Clyde 0 - 2 Queens Park

Back at home and we took on a rejauvenated Inverness side, Eddie Annand bagged himself a brace and Keith Kelly wrapped up the scoring and points for the home side but still it wasn't good enough as Stirling romped ahead in the goal difference stakes.

Queens Park 3 - 1 Inverness C.T.

Knowning we had to score atleast 10 goals in the last game against Alloa was too difficult a task to comprehende and with all the pressure on the players it was a close run game and it took a own goal to open the scoring and that was the way it seemed to be heading until McAdam slotted home a second on the 90th minute.

Queens Park 2 - 0 Alloa

With the prospect of 1st division football next year it should be an interesting time for the Queens Park faithful as we strive to bring in the best players and strive to take the championship, it certainly is an interesting time to be involved with the spiders.

Gary Toner

Stenny - Episode 4 - A New Hope

Pre season proved to be a difficult time trying to find suitable players / coaches for the Warriors. Roberts was pleased to welcome new assistant manager Russell Osman to the club, an appointment that definately looks like it will be of benefit to Stenny as RO guided them to an unbeaten pre season run with noteable wins over Queens Park and East Stirling from higher divisions and dispatching of minnows Forfar West End and Edinburgh City. Welcome wins to boost confidence in the camp.

The new season was now upon us. Gretna away for the first match. Gretna looking to improve on their 3rd place finish and get that promotion to Div 2.

Stenny started brightly with McCormick twice given what seemed glorious opportunities which were wasted both times, not to the managers pleasure at all as he was hauled off at half time in favour of new signing Sestanovich. Being 1-0 down, Stenny kept with the attacking formation only for Coulter to give away a daft penalty. 2-0 down and thats how the game finished.

Brechin in the cup next. Roberts likes the golf course there so hopefully the golf will be good even if the football is not!

The Spiders Web

Season 4 is in full swing and its my great honour to announce the singings of Chris Kelly, Blake Newbold, sebsatian mack, and Rune Almenning Jarstein on Free transfers i'm sure the lads will fit in well with the current set up.

But also we have been spending money and once again i am pleased to welcome Dallianas and Lekic from Peterhead and Fremad Amager respectivly for a combined fee of around £15 thousand.

On the loan front i can announce that Barcelona's Babangida and Arsenals John Halls will be joining us for the 2005/2006 season.

The league got underway and we were at home on the opening day of the season as we welcomed Queen Of the South to Hampden, only 3 of the new signings made their competive debuts those were John halls, Dallianas and Lekic but it was an old face who got things started in the shape of fan favourite Gez Murphy when he rounded the keeper to put Queens Park 1 up just before half time. Queen of the south came out the stronger side after the break and the equalised on the 49th minute when a mistake from debutant Dallianas gave the ball away to Sean o'conner who made no mistake and buried the chance.

Rajio Lekic another debutant made a mark at the other end of the field when he fired his first goal for his new side and put Queens Park in the lead on the 61st minute but it was Gez Murphy who had the last say as he slotted home his second and the spiders third of the afternoon to wrap up the points.

Queens Park 3 - 1 Queen Of The South

We have been put out as 100-1 shots to win promotion this season and i think that might be a fair reflection but never count the spiders out as thats when we're at our most dangerous as teams have found out in prevouis seasons.

Gary Toner

Alasdair Shaw's Programme Notes Monday 15/09/03

Dear Supporters,

The dawn of another season is upon us and summer has come and gone since our championship celebrations. We now face our toughest challenge yet with life in the First Division, a league with several strong teams and a host of quality players.

As you can imagine, I’ve had to strengthen the side with a number of signings that I hope can give us the character to compete.

A couple of faces have also left, with keeper Graeme Smith and attacking wizard Stevie Nicholas both joining Lizard man Bod and SPL new boys Albion Rovers on Bosman deals. Nicholas in particular was a key player for us and replacing him was always going to be a difficult task.

I was also frustrated to find that other clubs had moved quickly to snap up some of my targets, with East Stirling shire gaffer Ross “Lizard’s apprentice†Turpie sealing the skills of Lua Lua before I could offer a deal.

However I have been successful in bringing in some fresh faces which I believe will do well. Joining the club over the summer is striker Colin Nish from Dunfermline, former French international striker Lilian Laslandes from Bastia and Stanislav Varga, once of Sunderland and Celtic signs on.

French defender Nicolas Coudene will give us some competition for an aging defence, as will Ryan Lynch who signs from Coventry.

Jonathan Paul Mills comes from Southampton and looks to be a real talent in midfield, while defender Peter Clark brings more depth to our squad after signing from Stockport County.

Two Argentineans have joined up with us. Veteran goalkeeper Martin Herrera from Fulham and tricky attacker Federico Arias, whose pace and skill might well ease the loss of Nicholas.

I also expect striker Cédric Roussel to do well for us after signing from Wolves.

Some experience will come with former Blackburn defender Craig Short, Jim Weir, who signs from St. Johnstone, ex Newcastle and Derby player Warren Barton and Champions League winner Fabrizio Ravanelli, who has agreed a player coaching deal with us, as has former Liverpool defender Steve Staunton, who will be passing on the experience from his 100 plus international caps on to the younger players. Winger Kevin Twaddle also signs from Hearts.

The youth team has also been reinvigorated with the introduction of some new players. Attacker Lee Heath joins from Celtic, midfielder Kevin Souter signs from Aberdeen, and I expect him to challenge for a first tam place, along with Andrew Dick who comes from Rangers.

I’m sure we all hope that these players can help us compete in our new league surroundings and as always I’m looking to bring in just one more player before the deadlines.

Our preseason fixtures were all about gaining match fitness, sharpness and with all these new faces, some much needed team cohesion.

Games against Inverness, Hearts, Ross County and Preston North End all ended in defeat, but were good preparation for the new season.

We unfurled the league flag in front of our fans before kicking off the opening day of the season against Peterhead, a side that oozes quality and must be one of the favourites to grab the promotions spot this year.

I was therefore delighted to get off to a great start with a 1-0 win over the Blue Toon. New boy Cédric Roussel scoring on his debut, with a fine finish to bag the games only goal.

It’s an ideal start for us and next week we travel to Queen of the South, very much a bread and butter game that I’ll be looking to take something from. Our early season form is going to be very important as a guide of just how good we will be in this tough new league.

Enjoy the new season in the First Division!

Alasdair Shaw, Stirling Albion FC Manager

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Harry Rag:

I was also frustrated to find that other clubs had moved quickly to snap up some of my targets, with East Stirling shire gaffer _Ross “Lizard’s apprentice†Turpie_ sealing the skills of Lua Lua before I could offer a deal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry He was freed to helsingborgs. I would have easily given him to Albion but you were away helping your Mummy icon_wink.gif

We are the Fifers, Super Fifers!

For the season we welcome some new players who will make the fight first team action even more intense.

Mark Richardson – A young, yet more than capable, centre back arrives from Albion Rovers for hee haw.

Justin Georcelin – A bright future lies ahead for this youngster who came in after agreeing a 1k deal with dopey Gaz ïŠ

Craig Lynes – A ass man screw up that will get as close to the first team as Turps’ pie meat.

A couple of loans arrived at New Bayview too

Ousseni Zongo – This interesting little chap will entertain the fans with his dazzling skills up the wing, he isn’t afraid to put in a tackle either. The Burkino Faso international arrives from Anderlecht.

Kevin Byers – Read all about it, Fifers sign superstar. This 25 year old AMC arrives from Peterhead and there is no doubt that he will light up SD3 during the mighty Fifers rise.

The first game of the season was not going to be a easy one as we travelled to Recreation Park to play a team that won’t consider themselves a SD3 team.

Alloa 0 East Fife 2

We got it right up em and with goals from Kevin Robertson and Graham Hockless in the first half, both ex Peterhead, as well as a MOM display from Byers it truly was a win made in Peterhead!

Long may the Fifers rise continue!

StewartRobertsonBanner.jpg

A new season and again no money at all to spend. With our debts increasing game by game we really need some choice teams in the cup. The Manager knows his team’s strengths and weaknesses and has adopted a new training regime that was lacking the previous two seasons to try and amend some problems. Until such times when money is available we will have to make do, we do have a few stars, Knox being our star last year.

We will look forward to our third league campaign with the hope of promotion but we realize that we need a few quality players brought in and this will be done if our cash flow improves over the season.

Elgin A 3-2 icon_frown.gif

Being 0-2 up we should have walked it but no the whole team switched off. Neeson scored from the spot and Mauchlen got our second, but the usual away form that cost us last year set in. It’s getting rather boring and predictable for the fans away. Hopefully our form will get better and the team is familiar to the manager as not one signing took place nor any loans.

NEW%20LOGO.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TURPS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Harry Rag:

I was also frustrated to find that other clubs had moved quickly to snap up some of my targets, with East Stirling shire gaffer _Ross “Lizard’s apprentice†Turpie_ sealing the skills of Lua Lua before I could offer a deal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry He was freed to helsingborgs. I would have easily given him to Albion but you were away helping your Mummy icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I'm sure you found a suitable replacement...one everyone else had left the game. icon_razz.gif

### EAST STRILING........NEW SEASON..... SAME AS IT EVER WAS ###

Well season 4 is now underway and the frustrating preseaon was eventually 'chugged' thru despite being like a week in the jail, as the guys tried desperately to strenghthen their teams for the new campaign. Shire made a few new additions as former Leeds winger Jason Wilcox joined on a free transfer. And a new record Shire signing was made as Alex Williams joined from Peterhead for £35k. Williams would replace local hero Stuart Kelly who was freed to Montrose and be the main weapon to thwart Morton this season in division2. Lau lau of newcastle fame aslo signed but was freed to Helsinborgs, after it was found that he was alergic to pie meat! The squad has been trimmed down with about a dozen players moving to old rival clubs on free transfers. This season the team will be much the same as last and gaffer Turps is confident that promotion will be gained against the ai teams in division 2. Rival gaffer Coisty at Morton continued to prove he is a dud by propping up the division after 1 game as Shire sit proudly at the top after an easy 2-0 win over Berwick at Firs Park in the opener. Its early days yet and all ready gaffer Turps is missing his old chums in Division 3, but Shire are going places now and who knows where the adventure will end. More info after next sess when we have a few more points to report on.

Sons of the Rock Go for Experience

Dumbarton announce the appointment of Dukebox the old Cm stalwart to bring back the glory days to Boghead.

Dukebox’s return to management has shocked every cause they all thought he was dead.

When asked what he’d been doing in his retirement Dukebox replied 2 been visitin some o’ ma old comrades in the old folks homes aroond Scotland, This has made me realise that I’m no ready fur the scrap heap yet. I’ll show some o them young neds in the clan I’m no finished yit. It will be tough though as the present son’s squad are pish, nae wonder they finished bottom last year. But wi my nouse and experience we’ll soon have a team tae be proud o’ again. Think I’ll hae a tenner on oor odds fur the title this year 500-1 I could be hae in a nice holiday in bournmouth at the end o the year.

In a slow session we tasted all results in the 3 games. We are still in a very good position to challenge for promotion and I’m confident we will do so even if Coisty thinks otherwise!

East Fife 3 Stranraer 1

Kevin Robertson notches a first half hatty to put us top of the league at half time. 2nd half didn’t go our way unfortunately as Strany got a goal back after some poor defensive reactions. But the sending off of Stranraer’s centre half ended the game but our Icelandic pratt couldn’t convert the pen that would have seen us top after 2 games. We have now beaten the 2 relegated sides who were both fancied to bounce straight back up by the bookies.

Cowdenbeath 2 East Fife 1

Sav’s Cowden family are a very difficult side to play at Central Park but I was hoping our lads could simply block out any attacks. Sav’s lads done well though and managed to get in behind the defence in the first half a couple of times to put in good balls, 1 of which was converted. So 1 down at half time we would have to attack for a equaliser which would leave us more exploited at the back to a good pass. I did not expect the pass to come from our own team though as first Zongo then Kenny D simply have Cowdenbeath the ball in shocking positions. Zongos error led to Knox putting a delirious sav 2-0 up. We fought back though and good play from Kenny D and Georcelin led to Lakie putting the ball into his own net. Sav then ordered all men behind the ball and we couldn’t break them down.

East Fife 0 Gretna 0

Nothing happened at all. Little disappointing not to score at home. The worst thing though is probably that Robertson is still the only player to have scored for us this season so far.

Mon the Fifers!

Stenhousemuir update

Cup - Brechin (h)

A home tie in the League Challenge Cup against Brechin City from Division 2. Right from the off Stenny attacked an were rewarded early on when McFarlane notched his first of the season. McGuire soon after took advantage of some dodgy keeping to make it 2-0 to Stenny.

In a sweltering 32c heat the players could be forgiven for running out of steam but Stenny persisted and got a 3rd when what should have been a goal for Graham was knocked in for an O.G 3-0 a brill result.

League - Montrose (h)

In form Montrose come to Ochilview where Stenny started in the same form from the midweek cup win over Brechin and took an early lead thanks to midfield star McKenzie. The game was certainly going end to end, on loan goalkeeper Nathan Barnes (Albion Rovers) was having a great game and the defence were playing tough.

Midway through the second half Robert Coulter gave away a penalty and paid the price with a red card, the penalty was missed but the extra man was to prove cruical as Montrose came back with 2 goals from Ure. The second obviously down to being a man down and for some reason both centre backs being sucked out to the wing leaving Ure alone in the box? A good performance from Stenny but battling Montrose doing their gaffer proud. Stenny 1 - 2 Montrose

Cup - Clyde (h)

The 2nd round of the Challenge Cup saw Clyde roll into town. In a similar fashion to the East Stirling game last season, Stenny were blown away in a quick-fire 10 minute spell midway throught the first half. Sheilds notching a hat-trick during that spell with Convery wrapping things up late on. Stenny 0 - 4 Clyde

League - Elgin (a)

Stenny managed to snatch the services of Celtic starlet Stephen McManus from under the noses of East Fife ahead of this match. SM went straight into the starting line up to try heal a wound still hurting after the cup knockout.

The less said about this game the better as Stenny did not look to have a noteable attack until the 75th minute and even then it did not look that great. Hands up from Roberts, "I got the tactics wrong for this one" and apologies to any fans that travelled to watch. Elgin 3 - 0 Stenny ** Controversy after the match as Manager Roberts chucked all Greame Thomsons stuff out of the team bus and told him to get his own way home, not happy with his performances of late Roberts does not want GT anywhere near the first team squad. **

League - Alloa (h)

Relegated from Division 2 last season, Alloa will not be wanting to hang around in Div 3 for long and on the back of 2 poor performances Stenny were a bit apprehensive ahead of this match.

Midfield Star McKenzie could have made his last appearance in a Stenny shirt as Partick Thistle look to secure the services for this player in a £22,000 deal.

Goals either side of the break from McFarlane and Sestanovich secured a much needed win for Stenny and at last some league points as well as some morale ahead of the tricky looking trip away to Cowdenbeath. Stenny 2 - 0 Alloa

Forfar H (cup) 1-3

A poor display from the team, our only goal taken by Neeson with a penalty. We had high hopes with it being at home. We simply have to improve if we want to progress and the cups can be good little earners.

Alloa H 1-0

A fine display all round with Knox getting the killer goal in the 62nd minute. James Lakie Got M.o.M and Manager Robertson was glad to get the first points on the table. We need to start to string a few wins if possible.

East Fife H 2-1

Cowden managed to score all three goals Gurserver scored his first of the campaign and Knox got his usual goal to make it 2-0 before Lakie scored an own goal on the 84 minute to make it a tense finish Darren Baillie got M.O.M but was injured in the process and we will miss him for three weeks to a groin strain. At 2-1 it was backs to the wall stuff to hold out but the team did well especially as Kenny D looked in the mood for East fife, Kenny always has a good game when Cowden are on the park and it is the first name Manager Robertson looks for in the team.

Airdrie A 2-5

This was a football fans dream game with seven goals and plenty of class action. Having taken the lead with a wonderful worked goal from Gurserver in the 5th this was quickly cancelled out in the 7th when Airdrie pulled one back. Knox on good form made it 1-2 in the 28th only to be cancelled out by Airdrie again to bring it back to 2-2. Then in the 43rd Knox again burst the back of the net to give us the lead and after the break he got his hat trick on the 64th minute but only after Gurserver scored his second. The Manager is hopeful this new striking partnership gets better and better and Gurserver looks every bit the class player with good crossing skills and brilliant playmaking. Again it was good to bag three points and extra special when it was an away game.

bluebrazil.gif

### EAST STIRLING OFF TO A GOOD START ###

Season 4 is now underway and life in Division 2 is proving easy as Shire sit top of the table, unbeaten after 3 games. The transfer window is crawling to a close as the clan gaffers desperately try to get some last minute deals in. The Shire squad is pretty settled and not many new faces have joined. Some Loan players joined to form Ajax to give cover and a young 16 year Scottish old regen by the name of Hughes was unearthed and promptly signed.

6.8.05 EAST STIRLING 2 Berwick 0

The opening game was a tight affair with 2 late goals from skipper David Hannah and promising midfielder Adriean Nevins securing all 3 points and getting the Shire off to the best possible start to the season.

9.8.05 Clyde 3 EAST STIRLING 2

Shire took the lead through 2 early goals from Alex Williams. Clyde took some time to get going but battled back to win from 2 down with goals from Mark McLaughlin, Paul Shields and Chris Zok. Gaffer Turps was not bothered tho as all the energy would be needed for the league campaign.

13.8.05 Ross County 0 EAST STIRLING 2 (Challenge Cup 1st Rnd)

A tricky away game to Dingwall was made easy with a couple of fine goals either half buy record signing Alex Williams and promsing striker Mark Fox. Bernard Diomede Shire's left winger was injured and would be sidelined for a few weeks, so enter Jason Wilcox.

27.8.05 Brechin 1 EAST STIRLING 3

Brechin werev awarded a dodgy penalty in the opening minutes, but a great first hald double from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake won the points with Alex Williams scoring to compile the home sides misery.

Oh we are Albion , Super Albion , Stirling hate us, We Dont Care. We hate Airdrie, ars**oles, please dont take my Albion away

Theres a chill in the air down at the Shyberry Excelsior these days. The aristrocratic Airdrie United languish in Division 3, whilst their poor , downtrodden ,penniless (until recently) North Lanarkshire neighbours are sampling the delights of SPL football, have a squad of internationalists, and in Stevie McGuinness, have arguably the countries hottest young manager. And with summer signings like Stevie Nicholas , Paulihno , Gary Breen , Bojan Djordic , Jonathan & Graham "Clean Sheets , but tears in Ally's eyes" Smith, all competing with the team that demolished Division 1 las season, theres never been a better time to be a Yellow & Red!

Aberdeen 0 - 3 Albion Rovers

Steve Paterson sat in the dugout on Saturday, expecting 3 easy points against the league newboys. after half time , with his team 2-0 down and being outplayed ,he produced a bottle of JD , downed it in the next 15 minutes , and stopped caring about his team any further. 2 Porsteinsson counter attacks , and an Ian Diack wonderstrike crushed a disheartened and disinterested Dons. Vets expect an increase in injured sheep being brought to them this week.

Albion Rovers 5 - 1 Kilmarnock

Theres not much can be said about Magnus Sverrir Porsteinsson that hasnt already been written in every paper in Scotland. Another hat trick here in his home debut in the SPL was written into the fairytale . A double from midfield maestro Iain Diack , who is finding his feet REAL quick in the top division rounded off a fantastic home performance. Manager of the month anyone?

Livingston 1 - 4 Albion Rovers

You cant beat a team that finishes when it only has a few chances. After an early Brinquin OG, Stevie Nicholas finally opened his account for the Wee Rovers with a fantastic piece of trickery which wrong footed both the goalkeeper and the last defender. The inevitable Porsteinsson double finished the game as a contest by the time the hour mark, and even a late consolation couldnt brighten up the home fans day. Albion unstoppable!

Albion Rovers 5 - 0 Dundee United

United came south full of hope and bolstesred by some previous excellent displays. However 6 minutes in, and Craig Easton developed a sever case of "Muscat Syndrome" and dove 2-footed through Brazilian playmaker Paulihno to dent United's case. 3 minutes later , and a David Lilley cutback was met on the edge of the area by Lowing, and the young left backs 20yrd volley flew high into the net. 15 minutes later , a corner from the right was met at the near post by Iain Diack , and it was 2-0, then , on the stroke of half time , another Lilley run down the right resulted in a fantastic near post ball, and Paulinho stroked it home from close range. Silvestro then cracked a 35 yarder off the crossbar to send in United shellshocked at the interval. 3-0 at Half Time, and the game pretty much over as a contest. Albion eased up in the second half , and Silvestro , Diack & Porsteinsson found themselves rested for the Rangers game. Not content with playing second fiddle, Stevie Nicholas then took it upon himself to score a wonder goal. Djordic robbed Wilson on the halfway line, and Stevie Nick took the ball from there, beating 4 defenders in a 50 yard run which culminated in a low curling shot to the far corner. Then United's keeper chose to have a moment of madness. With a long ball apparently going nowhere, he wandered out of his area and headed the ball clear. Straight to the feet of Paulinho , and the Brazilian calmly lobbed him from 40 yards to make the final score 5-0.

4 games , 4 wins , a 5 point lead at the top of the league , and next up, Rangers @ Fortress Ipox! icon_eek.gif

Mighty 'Trose Up For Challenge

New Season, New Optimism at Links Park and I am pleased to say the board's faith in my own style of management has delayed my journey to the Montrose Job Centre. After last seasons nightmare major changes were required in all positions on the pitch.

Joining Montrose in time for the seasons start were veteran Gus McPherson from Dundee United, young midfielder Mark Hughes from Albion Rovers, defender Dale Turner from Atherstone and 6 signings from promoted East Stirlingshire; David Craig, former loan player Steven Jack, Gary Twigg, Craig Brown, Gayson Gregory and Stuart Kelly.

4 season long loan players were also unveiled, young wing-back Jordan Smith from Albion Rovers, defender Paul Reid from Rangers and Dundee United duo Ryan Waddell and David Jack, who returns for the 3rd season in a row.

Off the pitch new coaches have arrived and a whole new style of play has been introduced with the hope that we will be able to challenge for promotion at the very least.

Montrose were invited to participate in the inaugural Turps is a Fud Cup along with Dumbarton, Elgin City and promoted Morton. The trophy now proudly sits in the Links Park trophy cabinet and showed signs that we were at last moving in the right direction.

Onto league business then and our opening fixture was at home against 3rd division giants Airdrie United. A hat trick from new signing Stuart Kelly and one from Derek Ure destroyed the Lanarkshire side. Montrose 4 - 1 Airdrie United

A fantastic result to take into our very tough Challenge Cup First Round tie against 1st Division Runners-up Peterhead. A hugely entertaining game for both sets of fans and a magnificent performance from every Montrose player as we took the game to Peterhead and Derek Ure took his chances to score a hat-trick. Montrose 3 - 2 Peterhead

Back to the league and the players were understandably in great spirits as we travelled to Stenhousemuir. Things didn't look good early on in the game as we lost the opening goal but in the second half we were awarded a penalty and Stenhousemuir were reduced to 10 men. Unfortunatly the penalty was missed but we rallied and the extra man proved significant as our front players dragged the opposition all over the pitch. 2 Goals from superstar Ure and we were on our way home with the 3 points. Stenhousemuir 1 - 2 Montrose

Second round of the Challenge Cup and another very difficult away tie to first division opposition, Queens Park at Hampden. Last season taking anything out of an away game was almost unthinkable but as the start to this season shows Montrose do not fear anyone. Chances were missed from both sides and after 90mins the match was still goalless. Extra time followed and after a succession of Montrose corners veteran centre back Brian Reid rose the highest to dispatch an unstoppable header towards goal. The Spiders had no answer and Montrose marched on to the third round. Queens Park 0 - 1 Montrose (aet)

We welcomed bottom club Dumbarton to Links hoping to maintain our 100% record. Graeme Sharp was preferred to Middleton in the midfield and scored after a trademark mazy run hit a wonderful strike to put us ahead. The Sons battled back but new signing Gayson Gregory hit another as we held on for the points. Montrose 2 - 0 Dumbarton

Third round in the Challenge Cup was against second division Clyde in another difficult away encounter. Two goals from new boy Gregory and a powerful header from Paul Reid were too much for the Bully Wee and could only manage a solitary strike. Off to the semi final then and a game away to high flying Stirling Albion. Clyde 1 - 3 Montrose

Back to league business with a bump as we travelled the long road to Stranraer. A very difficult tie as the home side decided to sit in and frustrate us. With our long injury list including Kerrigan, David Jack, Stuart Kelly and before this game Gayson Gregory we are stretched slightly in attack and it showed as we failed to break down a stubborn defence. Stranraer 1 - 0 Montrose

An excellent start to the season for the Gable Endies as we sit proudly on top of the 3rd Division and in the Semi-Final of the Challenge Cup. New signing Patric Ntola Mkhawana, a Swaziland internationl midfielder who arrived just before the Stranraer game, will be joined shortly by 2 more players. Jerry Camedze, Namibian international team-mate of our own Patrick Mkhwanizi, and Arsenal youngster Hassan Svlaiman.

'Trose are on Fire!

Its Official, Roonie is a FUd!!!!

Yes, its become so official that Roonie had a "Turps is a fud" Cup in his honor.

But back to more important gaffers. Abraham has announced that Morton will be back in first division next season. And Abraham got of to a good start by winning every game in the first full session of the season. 3 seemed to be the fashionable number of the session. every game we played The Ton won with 3 goals scored, 3 cup games were played and won and Roonie finally figured out to count 3 fingers with the help of a Abucose. Let us all appluad Roonie for his great feat!!!

The Challenge cup was first up and Berwick. Vetern player Bradshaw scored a penalty to begin proceedings. On loan PSV player Huntelaar scoredthe next and Sviensson finished the Englenders hopes of further dwellings in this years cup.

Forfar came for a Greenock holiday and left with red faces as Sviensson opened and Huntelaar scored twice to give up our second 3-0 in a row.

The Challenge cup proceeded with Airdrie coming for a visit and going away fustrated as Huntelaar, Uotinen and Sviensson scored for Ton. Airdrie did try and come back at us with goals from Gow and Vareille but too little too late. We were disappointed after the game to learn East Fishery had posponed our game through fear.

Instead we played host to Arbrouth in another challenge cup game. Sviensson opened the proceedings then 17 year old wizz kid Webb scored his first proffessional goal after a great run. Hauser scored a scorcher shortly after and Swankie pulled a concelation goal back to allow Ton the 3-1 win.

Arbrouth came back the fallowing saturday and went away humiliated as Ton scored there 3-0 through goals through Sviensson, Huntelaar and Uotinen. Ton will visit East Stirling who have no escuse to postpone the game.

Sons of the rock of to a Rocky Start.

It seems there is a lot of work to be done with the sons, as there is no strength and depth in the squad. The recent run of result has showed the shortcomings of the team. With a 3-0 loss against, Gretna, 2-0 defeat by Montrose. On a brighter note we managed a 0-0 draw with Elgin City mainly due to new signing Mark Brown from Albion rovers.

The only disappointment is that while conceding goals it seems the strikers are shot shy and we have not scored yet.

Looking forward to Monday nights session where lets hope we can make some positive progress with the squad.

The Spiders Web

As life in the first division is well and truly underway we know we're going to have our work cut out this season.

We start off with a trip to Paisley to take on St Mirren in the challenge cup 1st round in a very uneventful game which so Gez Murphy score the only goal of the game dead on half time when he latched on to the end of a Liam McVey cross to seal the points.

Challenge Cup - St Mirren 0 - 1 Queens Park

League business and we travelled to Dens Park to take on Dundee in a game that saw us overpowered by a strong Dundee side. Beto Carranza opened the scoring in the 15th minute from a wonderful driven free kick and that was to be added to just after the half hour mark when Gary Boylan got himself in a good position to slot home the 2nd and it was Boylan at the fore once again in the 57th minute when Carranza lay off an easy chance for Boylan to capatalise.

Dundee 3 - 0 Queens Park

The Challenge Cup was on the agenda again and Montrose came to Hampden looking to seal a spot in the 3rd round and it was to be the third division side who marched on when deep into extra time Brian Reid powered home a header from a nicely taking corner to seal the game for the underdogs.

Challenge Cup - Queens Park 0 - 1 Montrose

League business was on the cards again in a game that was to prove very surrel as Raith Rovers came to Hampden looking for 3 league points. Steven McAdam made his first start of the season and he proved to be dead on form when he slotted home a first half hat-trick to add to goals from halls and Murphy to send the home side 5-0 in at the half, Raith started strong in the 2nd half when Ferguson and Roberts slotted home to put them within 3 but substitues Babangida and Lekic sealed the victory for Queens in a 7 goal demolition.

Queens Park 7 - 2 Raith Rovers

Queens Park were on a high from the last game and we went to Falkirk with a renewed feeling of self confidence and how short that was to be when Wright slotted home the opening goal on the 8th minute and from then on it was all one way traffic Colin Samuel added a second just after half time and Wright got his second 10 minutes later to take all three points.

Falkirk 3 - 0 Queens Park

Life in the first division is proving to be up and down this early we really need to find some sort of consistancy before too long to keep us within touching distance of the top sides.

Gary Toner

Lanarkshires Finest - The Albion Rovers Fairytale continues

Rangers 1 - 3 Albion Rovers

The fairytale continues, and the fairytale prince, Icelandic GOD Magnus Sverrir Porsteinsson continues to amaze the SPL. With Stevie Nicholas tearing the Rangers defence to pieces with every forward run, Porsteinsson twice found himself in space on the receiving end of a Nicholas through ball, and with 13 minutes on the clock, hed bagged a brace. After holding out, and a few near misses on the counter, the halftime whistle blew and McLeish gave his troops a bollocking. So much so that they promptly kicked lumps out of both Breen & Silvestro, forcing them to leave the pitch. With 2 key players down, a pass from Diack to Jonathan was missed allowing De Boer to nip in , slide the ball wide to Arveladze, and it was game on! ... for a few minutes , until another Stevie Nicholas twisting run found David Lilley , and his precision near post cross was bulleted home by Iain Diack. After that, the heads went down, and only some world class goalkeeping from Klos prevented a cricket score.

Monthly awards came out, and an Albion clean sweep.

McGuinness Manager of the Month

Nicholas Player of the Month

Lowing Young Player of the Month

Albion Rovers 6 - 0 Hibs

An early mistake in the Hibs midfield gave the ball to Porsteinsson in his own half. In a move reminiscent of the Van Nistelrooy move against fulham , he proceeded to run the length of the park, beat everyone , be forced wide, then drag the ball into the corner of the net. Shortly afterwards , Diack made it 2 , firing home from close range after good work by Nicholas. Then Nicholas got himself in the scoreboard , picking up a long ball from Weekes , before scoring again after a Porsteinsson cutback. Porsteinsson himself was put through by Nicholas , returning the favour, and calmly slotted past the outrushing keeper to put the game beyond doubt by half time. A 69th minute injury to Walker caused minor concern , but when in 89 minutes , the keeper spilled a 25yarder from Jonathan , Porsteinsson was there to pick up the pieces and record his 2nd SPL hat trick.

East Stirling 2 - 1 Albion Rovers

Cant have any complaints about this one. I set out to frustrate with a defensive counter attacking tactic, and was a goal down inside 10 minutes. Club captain Justin Walker was scythed down within 60 seconds , and played no further part. And although Nicholas equalised before half time, a monumental goalkeeping ****up removed Albion from a cup competition for the second time in succession. Smith throws the ball out , its passed back , and he then kicks it 25 yards to the waiting striker , who lays the ball off for a 1-2 and its in the back of the net. Sick as a Parrot Bob!

Motherwell 0 - 2 Albion Rovers

The Stevie Nicholas show rolled into town, and instantly put paid to any hopes The Well had of establishing Lanarkshire dominance (north or South). His 1st , where he won the foot race with the keeper to prod into an empty net after a Porsteinsson shot was spilled , and his second a brilliant piece of individual skill , running 40 yards and shooting low into the corner. And when he almost had his hat trick , a late tackle from Partridge resulted in a penalty , but not the sending off it deserved. Paulinho crashed the ball against the post however, and 2-0 was how it finished. James McMidden had a terrible game, and has allegedly broken his Playstation whilst playing ISS 2 on it after the game.

Stenhousemuir H 6-1

Manager Robertson was full of praise for his lads Knox with a hat trick, Mauchlen with two and poor Darren Stewart with his OG made it a convincing win and probably the most outstanding show the manager has seen. Unfortunately it came at a cost with Gursever out for three weeks. We controlled the game form start to finish.

Clyde A (cup) 3-1

With five changes from our last team and it being always we were always going to struggle. We got an own goal in the 8th but lost the next three. With injuries to Knox and Bell this cup game could cost us in the league.

Dumbarton A 1-2

Astonishingly brilliant was the thought for this away win. With so much of the first team out Knox, Bell, Gordon, Gursever to win was a massive bonus. Jim graham gave us the lead before the home side equalized but Mauchlen scored in the 49th minute won us the game. Some good defending kept all the points safe.

Stranraer H 2-1

This was a game of two half’s for Knox who scored both our goals in the first half and injured in the second half. It was a tense end to the game after the visitors got on the goal sheet on the 59th minute. The team held on well and are now sitting top due to this excellent form.

Manager Robertson has been impressed with the teams start to the season but he knows it’s a long way too the finish line . Laughingly aside in our last few league games our goalie has adopted the unlucky habit of loosing a single goal and it’s not cost us yet but he will have to put in a few more hours on the training pitch, I think Sunday 8:00am should wake him up a bit.

goalie%20copy.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lambie's Lovechild

_East Stirling 2 - 1 Albion Rovers_

Cant have any complaints about this one. I set out to frustrate with a defensive counter attacking tactic, and was a goal down inside 10 minutes. Club captain Justin Walker was scythed down within 60 seconds , and played no further part. And although Nicholas equalised before half time, a monumental goalkeeping ****up removed Albion from a cup competition for the second time in succession. Smith throws the ball out , its passed back , and he then kicks it 25 yards to the waiting striker , who lays the ball off for a 1-2 and its in the back of the net. Sick as a Parrot Bob!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TURPS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lambie's Lovechild

_East Stirling 2 - 1 Albion Rovers_

Cant have any complaints about this one. I set out to frustrate with a defensive counter attacking tactic, and was a goal down inside 10 minutes. Club captain Justin Walker was scythed down within 60 seconds , and played no further part. And although Nicholas equalised before half time, a monumental goalkeeping ****up removed Albion from a cup competition for the second time in succession. Smith throws the ball out , its passed back , and he then kicks it 25 yards to the waiting striker , who lays the ball off for a 1-2 and its in the back of the net. Sick as a Parrot Bob!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youve set the bar now Rosco. Youre the man everyone has to beat. Heres hoping that the sounds coming from Larbert are those of jubilation, not breaking glass ........

### The Shire Climb Higher ###

Season 4 is now well underway and after nearly playing every one in the division it is safe to say that the 2nd Division title looks Firs Park bound. Rival gaffer Coisty is struggling and took a very heavy beating on his rescent visit to Firs Park. Only Inverness Caley Thistle look like they could challenge Shire's dominance. The League Cup is going well also. High flying Albion Rovers were brought back down to earth as they were turned over 'bigtime' leaving gaffer bod blaming bob? Team wise East Stirling are looking unstoppable just now and the morale in the dressing room is Superb. With the early points in the bag, the club can afford to drop some points here and there and still expect to maintain the pole position. heres how the last session's games went.......

3.9.05 EAST STIRLING 4 Hamilton 0

Two doubles from strike partners Alex William's and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake made an easy victory. The hamilton Accies lacked spice and were no match for Shire's pie power at fortress Firs Park.

7.9.05 EAST STIRLING 5 Morton 1

Alex Williams icon_biggrin.gif

17.9.05 Inverness Caley Thistle 0 EAST STIRLING 2

Another 2 goals from on fire Alex Williams won all the points in what was on paper Shire's most difficult away game of the season.

21.9.05 EAST STIRLING 2 Albion Rovers 1

Shire are now the unofficial best team in Scotland! icon_wink.gif

24.9.05 EAST STIRLING 2 Forfar 0

Williams and Ebanke struck again to dump the loons with a fine display. Shire controlled the game and had all the chances and should have scored more but the team was tired after the great win oer high flying bod in the last game.

Archived