man uniteds third goal tonight against the arsenal

has anybody managed to create a tactic whereby you can counter-attack with blinding pace from one box to the other and in the matter of 8 passes score a goal?i dont see how it can be done....one central striker who lays it off to a midfielder who whips it out to the wing who centres for the lone striker to score.any ideas because that was brilliant.

yeah..... someone did. Its called 'The art of counter attacking' or 'The art of the counter attack'. It was a great thread and that worked very well if you had a very pacey team. If you dont, it didnt work.

LAM

Direct passing, high tempo.

Don't confuse direct passing with longer passing. Direct is aiming to get the ball quickly forward (aided by high tempo).

Ticking counter attacking is optional.

If you're actually playing as Man Utd, try having a read through SFraser's "Less is More" thread, as the application of creative freedom and free roles may help too.

Ok this might be a stupid question but what is the actual meaning of ticking the counter attack box in team instructions? For example, in real life United and Arsenal are well known for their counter attacking play from certain defensive situations eg corners against them, but in general their tactics are more or less attacking tactics if you were to replicate them in FM.

Will ticking the counter attacking box mean that your team will spring an attack from these situations like in real life yet yet continue your general overviews of your current tactic if you have an attacking tactic or would it lead to your tactic instructions being over ruled and make your side sit back and absorb pressure just so that they can then counter attack when you've won the ball???

Ok this might be a stupid question but what is the actual meaning of ticking the counter attack box in team instructions? For example, in real life United and Arsenal are well known for their counter attacking play from certain defensive situations eg corners against them, but in general their tactics are more or less attacking tactics if you were to replicate them in FM.

Will ticking the counter attacking box mean that your team will spring an attack from these situations like in real life yet yet continue your general overviews of your current tactic if you have an attacking tactic or would it lead to your tactic instructions being over ruled and make your side sit back and absorb pressure just so that they can then counter attack when you've won the ball???

Ticking the counter-attack box can still work well with attacking formations. I remember reading somewhere it didn't compromise the team too much. This is because it just means whenever you lose possession of the ball, your team lets the other team attack and get higher up the pitch but then you suddenly break away.

Although I can not confirm this. I have been told previously that ticking the 'counter attack' box essentialy makes all your players mentality 20 when there is a 'break' on.

Obviously, if there is no 'break' on, then that doesnt happen.

The benefit are obvious..... your whole team go into attack mode.

The negatives are, you can be counter counter attacked as man of your men have overcommited themselves.

LAM

I play Counter-Attacking football with almost all of my teams, and it doesn't really appear to do much.

However, I use it mainly for Set-pieces.

It works well with my Man City team, who have scored 4 goals, in 2 games, on the back of Corners from the opposition.

I'm currently going to use it in a Sevilla save with my friends.

They've got the right kind of players to hit a team on the counter-Attack.

I'll maybe keep you updated if this thread is still alive. ;)

Although I can not confirm this. I have been told previously that ticking the 'counter attack' box essentialy makes all your players mentality 20 when there is a 'break' on.

Obviously, if there is no 'break' on, then that doesnt happen.

The benefit are obvious..... your whole team go into attack mode.

The negatives are, you can be counter counter attacked as man of your men have overcommited themselves.

LAM

You're actually right about this. It was wwfan mentioned it most recently in a thread in the GD forum. :)

It's a bit like a "gung-ho" instruction when your team has the ball.

Archived