The Death Of The Football Manager Series?

IMO I think this was one reason SI released the FMH PSP version. I have this also and i find that if i want a "pick up and play" experience, the PSP version is just the thing. When i fancy a more in depth serious experience then I boot up the PC version.

Both feel like 2 different games (in a good way).

I find the game has just become too bloated and unwieldy. I'm not whinging and I know many people love it but personally I just can't get into the game anymore. There are too many features being added that don't work very well and don't actually enhance the gameplay. So far I've still kept buying each new version but I don't know how much longer I'll carry on doing so. Perhaps on second thoughts I AM whinging, oh well.

Personally i went back to 08 after initially buying 09 and playing it for a week. I would like to say it was because of the game itself but i probably didnt give it a fair go.

For me 2 things halted my enjoyment of the new game.

The first is not SI's fault but whilst 08 seemed to run reasonably well on my PC the new one was rather slow and just unplayable really.

The second is as was mentioned before. The game focuses on tactics rather then the quality of players. For the casual gamer this takes away the fun factor of the game. Dont get me wrong, i played fm 08 to death and still do but thats because i can simply turn it on, work with 2 or 3 tactics and have reasonable success. On 09 it was like starting again and nothing i did worked.

My personal opinion, and i know i may get shot down for this, but i think the FM series is slowly becoming more of a strategy game rather then a football manager sim which is eliminating casual gamers from the market. Just an opinion of course.

I play a flat 442 or a 442 with AMR/AML and a global mentality won the league with an average Lyon squad twice now and CL final aswell it took me 5 minutes to make this tactic and ive gotten through 2 seasons quickly without any needs for tweaks game actually starting to feel easy tbh

I think this year's series brings a whole new level of realism & the fact that the game being too-hard might be a good point to me.. I don't find enjoyment when I go 20-30 league games unbeaten because I had copied off someone's tactics in the forum or even if i did not and accomplished that with my own tactic, I would slowly get bored of it.

So my guess is that SI is trying to adopt a more "thinking-approach" in how this game should be played. At the same time, I find that winning 3 games on a roll and then losing 1 against your arch rivals is more fun than winning a whole roll of 30 games.

Guest head full of crisps
I did this too. I just cant get into 09. I spent a long time on tactics and cannot get my team to play the way I want. Fair play though, I know plenty of people who think it's the dogs doodahs.

Me to just hate it, i've bought every FM since the original but even i have reverted back to 08.....shame

Personally i went back to 08 after initially buying 09 and playing it for a week. I would like to say it was because of the game itself but i probably didnt give it a fair go.

For me 2 things halted my enjoyment of the new game.

The first is not SI's fault but whilst 08 seemed to run reasonably well on my PC the new one was rather slow and just unplayable really.

The second is as was mentioned before. The game focuses on tactics rather then the quality of players. For the casual gamer this takes away the fun factor of the game. Dont get me wrong, i played fm 08 to death and still do but thats because i can simply turn it on, work with 2 or 3 tactics and have reasonable success. On 09 it was like starting again and nothing i did worked.

My personal opinion, and i know i may get shot down for this, but i think the FM series is slowly becoming more of a strategy game rather then a football manager sim which is eliminating casual gamers from the market. Just an opinion of course.

I still think there's this misconception about how important tactics really are. I use one tactic and have modified it as my playing staff have changed over the years. It about getting a tactic that works for your side. For example, Stoke can't play like Arsenal and Arsenal can't play like Stoke. Why? Because Arsenal are a bunch of techincally gifted little... Uh... Players whilst Stoke are built out of big players who are strong in the air and have less technical ability than one of Arsenal's players.

Archived