Tactics Guide?

Hi everyone,

I don't know about you but every time I make a tactic it never quite works? It my just be my severe lack of understanding football, but I'm shore I'm not that incompetent.

I've tried using other people's tactics, like razors, and I must admit that razors is really good, but it never quite felt right. I really want to enjoy the game, and to do this I fell I have to understand tactics! so I began to read many assumptions to tactics, for example 'tactical theorems and frameworks'. That I thought was, and it is good, but not good enough for me to completely understand the way in which the tactics work in fm 2009.

anyway I was wondering if anyone has stumbled across a really good tactical guide?

thanks in advance :D

Hi everyone,

I don't know about you but every time I make a tactic it never quite works? It my just be my severe lack of understanding football, but I'm shore I'm not that incompetent.

I've tried using other people's tactics, like razors, and I must admit that razors is really good, but it never quite felt right. I really want to enjoy the game, and to do this I fell I have to understand tactics! so I began to read many assumptions to tactics, for example 'tactical theorems and frameworks'. That I thought was, and it is good, but not good enough for me to completely understand the way in which the tactics work in fm 2009.

anyway I was wondering if anyone has stumbled across a really good tactical guide?

thanks in advance :D

If you find tt&f too complicated then I suggest you take a look at "Sheffield united project". It's a much simpler guide to follow.

Hope that's a help

G'luk

thanks 'the man',

I've just read that and it really good for understanding tactics, but still doesn't fully explain, for example I would like to read a guide which has examples of individual instructions of a centre-back, and so on../..

From TT&F

Central Defenders

Key Attributes: Jumping, Marking, Tackling, Positioning, Strength

The main job of a central defender in all the match strategies is to stop the opposing attackers from playing and to clear the ball from danger when required. When playing in an attacking match strategy, they must also be able to help the team maintain possession and lay off simple passes to more creative players. To ensure they remain focused on defensive duties, keep their individual instructions as simple as possible. For defenders who go forward for set pieces, it can be advantageous setting their long shots to mixed, as it will enable them to fire off pot shots if they pick up a half-clearance when retreating. This is a far better option than their looking for a pass and getting caught in possession and out of position to cover a break.

• Player Role: Defend
  • Run With Ball: Rarely
  • Long Shots: Rarely
  • Through Balls: Rarely
  • Cross Ball: Rarely
  • Cross From: Deep
  • Hold Up Ball: No

Sweeper/Libero

Key Attributes: Jumping, Marking, Tackling, Positioning, Strength, Pace, Acceleration, Decisions, Concentration, Anticipation, Passing, Creativity, Flair, Dribbling, Technique

Famous Examples: Franz Beckenbauer, Franco Baresi

There are two different methods of employing this type of player, either as a pure Sweeper (DCd) or as a defender-playmaker in the classical Libero style (DCa).

Sweeper (DCd): The Sweeper operates on a lower mentality than the other DC/s in the defensive line. His exceptional athleticism and reading of the game enable him to cover defensive errors, sweep them up from a deep position and secure possession. This will often be the preferred option for those wishing to employ a high defensive line.

• Through Balls: Mixed

Libero (DCa): The Libero also sweeps behind the back line in the same manner as the Sweeper. The key difference is the Libero will roam forwards in support of the midfield when the team has possession and aim to be the extra body in defence. The attacking intent of the tactic, his assigned role and his mentality settings determine to what extent he will leave his defensive position. It is also useful to assign high Creative Freedom settings, and possibly a free role. The Libero works better with a lower defensive line as this allows him to step into the space in front of the other DC/s.

• Player Role: Support/Attack
  • Run With Ball: Mixed/Mixed
  • Long Shots: Mixed/Often
  • Through Balls: Often/Often
  • Cross Ball: Rarely/Rarely
  • Cross From: Deep/Deep

How does that not cover individual instructions for defenders?

From TT&F

Central Defenders

Key Attributes: Jumping, Marking, Tackling, Positioning, Strength

The main job of a central defender in all the match strategies is to stop the opposing attackers from playing and to clear the ball from danger when required. When playing in an attacking match strategy, they must also be able to help the team maintain possession and lay off simple passes to more creative players. To ensure they remain focused on defensive duties, keep their individual instructions as simple as possible. For defenders who go forward for set pieces, it can be advantageous setting their long shots to mixed, as it will enable them to fire off pot shots if they pick up a half-clearance when retreating. This is a far better option than their looking for a pass and getting caught in possession and out of position to cover a break.

Sweeper/Libero

Key Attributes: Jumping, Marking, Tackling, Positioning, Strength, Pace, Acceleration, Decisions, Concentration, Anticipation, Passing, Creativity, Flair, Dribbling, Technique

Famous Examples: Franz Beckenbauer, Franco Baresi

There are two different methods of employing this type of player, either as a pure Sweeper (DCd) or as a defender-playmaker in the classical Libero style (DCa).

Sweeper (DCd): The Sweeper operates on a lower mentality than the other DC/s in the defensive line. His exceptional athleticism and reading of the game enable him to cover defensive errors, sweep them up from a deep position and secure possession. This will often be the preferred option for those wishing to employ a high defensive line.

• Through Balls: Mixed

Libero (DCa): The Libero also sweeps behind the back line in the same manner as the Sweeper. The key difference is the Libero will roam forwards in support of the midfield when the team has possession and aim to be the extra body in defence. The attacking intent of the tactic, his assigned role and his mentality settings determine to what extent he will leave his defensive position. It is also useful to assign high Creative Freedom settings, and possibly a free role. The Libero works better with a lower defensive line as this allows him to step into the space in front of the other DC/s.

• Run With Ball: Mixed/Mixed
  • Long Shots: Mixed/Often
  • Cross Ball: Rarely/Rarely
  • Cross From: Deep/Deep

How does that not cover individual instructions for defenders?

Anyone can copy and paste wwfan, put some effort into it will ya? ;) ;) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

quick update on TT&F, it doesn't quite give me help when using the players you got.

for example, I want to develop a tactic for Portsmouth, so i probably want one which revolves around the aerial dominance of Peter Crouch. Which then he links up with defoe.

I was wondering of anyone has stumbled across a tactics guide which gives that kind of infomation.

:D

Ahem

Target Man

Key Attributes: Strength, Stamina, Jumping, Heading, First Touch, Long Shots, Anticipation, Bravery, Decisions, Teamwork, Work Rate

Famous Examples: Jan Koller, Nikola Zigic, Emile Heskey, Peter Crouch

Although the examples give above are all internationals, the Target Man instruction is far more suited to less good sides than leading ones, as it restricts the variation of attacking play. However, a dominant Target Man can transform an average team into a good one by using his sheer physicality to disrupt the opposition’s defence and open space for his strike partner and supporting midfielders. Although the quality of opposing defences means the Target Man won’t score many goals at higher levels, thus restricting his role to Support, he should bag hatfuls in lower leagues and can thus be deployed in a more Attacking role. For a shorter but technically gifted Target Man who is happy playing with his back to goal (think Mark Hughes and the older Alan Shearer) employ the ‘To Feet’ supply instruction. For a tall, less technical player, use ‘To Head’. For a tall, technical gifted player, then the ‘Mixed’ instruction is ideal.

• Run With Ball: Rarely/Rarely
  • Long Shots: Often/Mixed
  • Cross Ball: Mixed/Mixed
  • Cross From: Mixed/Mixed
  • Hold Up Ball: Yes

Poacher

Key Attributes: Pace, Acceleration, First Touch, Off the Ball, Finishing, Composure, Flair, Dribbling, Decisions, Anticipation

Famous Examples: Michael Owen, Gabriel Batistuta, Filippo Inzaghi, Ruud van Nistelrooy

The goal poacher is rapidly being phased out at the top level as modern football begins to favour forwards who offer more to the team than just being able to score. However, outside the top level a quality poacher can guarantee enough goals to ensure the team is pushing for a good league position. Setting tactical instructions that force the poacher into playing as part of the team will not get the best out of him. Instead, play to his strengths by giving him a high mentality and the creative freedom to make the best use of any space he finds and simple instructions that encourage him to look for final third opportunities. The ‘Target Man/Run onto Ball’ instruction combination can often get the best out of a Poacher. Restricting his passing options will also encourage him to make a beeline for goal over playing in a teammate.

• Player Role: Attack
  • Run With Ball: Often
  • Cross Ball: Mixed
  • Cross From: Byline

Obviously, you can't use TM instructions for both players. I suggest you use Crouch as the spearhead forward and Defoe running onto his flicks from a little deeper. Thus, a Support Role for Crouch but with higher mentality and an attack role but with lower mentality for Defoe.

123hello

Have a look at Tactical Central and Insight: Implementing Tactics for FM09 by Loversleaper.

I guarantee this will help you in a simple easy to follow guide.

It will change the way you set up tactics and play the game, the best thing about it is it actually works and in my opinion is the best thing i have ever read on a football manager forum.

Hope it helps

Archived