A knighthood!!??

I suspect it is somewhat political which is another reason why it shouldn't be included in the game IMO.

That's the beauty of a game though, being something the people create to amuse themselves, it can indulge idealistic notions of meritocracy and fariness. A random knighthood would be fun wouldn't it? Not getting one would be just as much fun .. it enriches the game a little and it would be nice not to be able to expect it every time.

I suspect it is somewhat political which is another reason why it shouldn't be included in the game IMO.

I agree totoally. Should not be in the game. :thup:

to settle this good conversation

footballers and managers can and have received new years honours in the past,

this list shows all

No one said footballers & managers can't receive knighthoods. Nothing to settle. :confused:

to settle this good conversation

footballers and managers can and have received new years honours in the past,

this list shows all

True! Couple of other important points in the real life debate: The class system was in full swing, racism towards Scotts and Irish was on a par with that shown towards immigrants from the 'Empire' (especially in the 1950's and 60's when it was truly disgusting at times) and the other main point was that football was viewed as a working man's game. It wasn't a toff sport, look at the list of cricketers from that era who got gongs .. I bet its a mile long. :D

That's the beauty of a game though, being something the people create to amuse themselves, it can indulge idealistic notions of meritocracy and fariness. A random knighthood would be fun wouldn't it? Not getting one would be just as much fun .. it enriches the game a little and it would be nice not to be able to expect it every time.

Like I said, it's not for me, but I understand that some people want it in, but like I say, as this doesn't have anything to do with football, I'm not a fan of having this in the game.

So I presume had their titles stripped? Or they admitted/were caught later and their wins are tainted at best?

Well I was just being facetious tbh. :D Although Marion Jones (and many others of that mould) springs to mind, but she isn't English (thankfully). There does seem to be a strange sort of stigma attached to sporting 'heroes', one I never really understood and have, frankly, always found to be somewhat distasteful. Before sport, or the necessity for it, we had war and war heroes and that was more of the same nonsense. That doesn't work for the Europeans anymore, since we lack the nationalistic hysteria of the yanks so we get the modern PC take: You know the glowing steely jawed multi-ethnic, multi-vitamin Olympiad, fresh from the spa, all Judeo Christian and ordinary.

Except she's pumped full of nandrolone, never finished in the top ten before now or you'd have heard of her right - and suddenly they're selling my kids breakfast cereal with her humunculor image plastered all over it and she's taking a break from thanking a proud nation for this latest in a long line of honours from a live feed somewhere in Geneva.

Sure, ok, some like Adlington are 'home grown ordinary people of the people' but you can see in the slightly glazed, slightly guilty look they carry, they know they are being used and they don't care; because they know their knees won't hold out forever and the after dinner circuit is better than looking rubbery presenting Grandstand or getting 'retired' like poor old Colin because he might just, maybe, you know, like seafood.

Call me an old cynical fuddy duddy but athletics is long since irrevocably tarnished. I simply don't believe it, because it is so very hard to be swept along in the nationalistic fervour and sycophancy and not constantly stop, readjust, refocus and be nauseated by the 'political' agenda. Remember 'Cool Britannia'? Still taste the vomit? Yeah, that kind of thing..

Do I believe a knighthood is an appropriate recompense for someone who wins a few gold medals? Maybe. Do I believe someone like Terry Pratchett who changed the way millions of people looked at life and society, for some twenty five years, ought to get a bit of tin and a pat on the head only now, because he's dying and Sir Terry might sell a heck of a lot more copies from the grave? Its all a nonsense init.

GillsMan is right, maybe it doesn't have a place in the game and maybe not in life either. Real or imagined .. and whoopsie .. there goes the topic. Sorry. I'll shut it now. :thup:

Stan Ternent will never get an honour.......if he does,i'll be extremely unhappy considering all hes managed to do recently is try to get my beloved HTFC imploding thanks to his way of playing players out of position,wasting money on garbage players,and basically being an out of date bully/thug

Archived