is this cheating???

Edit: note the first paragraph is talking about real life rather than in FM.

I think it's something that could technically happen in real life, but any manager that did something so blatantly unprofessional would never be trusted in management again. The Man City board may well get rid of you as soon as possible. How can they be assured you're not going to screw them over?

Wouldn't happen in real life - same for releasing players on a free then moving clubs.

in real life though it isnt really the managers job to decide all the ins and outs of a contract. a players min fee release would be decided by the board, not the manager i presume. i may be wrong though.

If you really feel dirty you should ban yourself for life on this save for fraud.

Then start a new game and promise yourself to not do it again. :p

That you still made it 10 million and not much less, tells me that you felt already dirty while you did it.

Anyway, you play like however you want, it's your game!

If you want to keep it realistic, just don't do it.

Since you asked; the man in question is now manager of Cambridge United's un-official U-18 team (Cambridge Regional College), currently 7th in the Ridgeons Football League Premier division.

There was talk of a high court case against him and a number of ex-board members at Cambridge City about various "accusations of financial impropriety", but I don't know of any case coming to court yet.

Apologies for dragging this a bit off topic :)

Not at all off-topic, and a fascinating story. Thanks for sharing :thup:

Was my final hurrah in FM 2008 cheating... I applied for Nottingham Florist, got the job then proceeded to sack every single player before leaving on Feb 1 with the club having: No Players, No Staff, £19 mil into debt and more than 11 points adrift of survival... IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Then there was my board not giving me more money in my QPR (again, FM 2008) game last time around, where I failed to be promoted after losing 4-3 (2 goals in the last 15 minutes) to Ipswich in the Playoff final. I'd signed Zarate, Jimenez, Carroll and a heap of very good players before the season even ended, but without a bit more money, and with the board allowing Jon McKain to leave for only £1.5 mil. I decided the best course of action was to give all my players £0 release clauses (well, the good ones) and offer an ultimatum, then to watch the club implode... Ah, the fun.

Anyhow, as long as you weren't adding new users to sell players to yourself for nothing, it's not really cheating. However in real life this would count as corruption and you're arse would be minced in the courts over it and you'd be probably banned from the game... Whilst what I said above technically wasn't the same, the same thing applies, I'd be minced in the courts for both of those things. Oh well, the best part was that my grey side playing 0-0-0-5-5 made of out of position grays (my one and only match for the club) had a 53-0 loss in my short reign at Florist!

Archived