[FM24] TotaalVoetbal - How to?

Total Football (Dutch: totaalvoetbal) is a tactical system in association football in which any outfield player can take over the role of any other player in a team. A player who moves out of his position is replaced by another from his team, thus retaining the team's intended organisational structure. In this fluid system, no outfield player is fixed in a predetermined role; anyone can successively play as an attacker, a midfielder and a defender. The only player who must stay in a specified position is the goalkeeper.

Total Football's tactical success depends largely on the adaptability of each footballer within the team, in particular the ability to quickly switch positions depending on the on-field situation. The theory requires players to be comfortable in multiple positions; hence, it requires intelligent and technically diverse players

Hi everybody.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks to @crusadertsar, @Djuicer and @Kharza_FM my interest in this style, in terms of FM, grew a lot.

Until FM22 I managed to have relative success with what they were writing and with their ideas.
However, now with the positional game that FM24 brought us, I have had difficulties implementing this style as close to reality as possible and with the greatest possible success. So how can you replicate this in order to be successful in FM?
After a lot of reading, watching and researching this was my starting point to emulates the images above:

spacer.png

Both CD and the DM have "Close Down Less" to create some kind of shield if the team pressing fails.

spacer.png This PI's it to try to create some kind of playmaker without make im the playmaker. 

spacer.png The LCM is a hybrid player that i can customise during the game, that's why i like the CM (s) role. My aim is to make it some kind of AP+RPM+"more central Mezzala

But i'm having many doubts about TI's and/or PI's.

F9, CF(s) or Treq?
Two IF?
DM(s) or DLP(s)?

spacer.png

Time to bring some old topics to the new era of FM.

Edited by PequenoGenio

• 2 months later...

I found this to be useful to help build a platform, he also provides 2 example tactics. 

Personally, I've found possession football to be too passive in recent FM's and have much more success with transitional tactics. 

On 16/04/2024 at 08:24, CJ_Randell said:

I found this to be useful to help build a platform, he also provides 2 example tactics. 

Personally, I've found possession football to be too passive in recent FM's and have much more success with transitional tactics. 

There;s a sweet spot to be had that doesn't mean possession overkill for the sake of it, but  also in game management is a must imo these days particularly when using possession tactics.