Youth players

I’ve got good youth facilities after spending £3.6m upgrading but even after several years the youth players intake are still awful.

Can’t see the point spending all that money when the return of investment is shocking.

Edited by Chris391971

In my experience the youth academy coaching and youth facilities lean more towards improving the current ability of the newly spawned newgens. The youth recruitment and reputation is what helps to get the players with a high potential ability. Unfortunately, in the Touch version, we only really have control over youth facilities while the board control the youth academy coaching and youth recruitment.

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, The phoenix from the flames said:

Would be good if youth setup identified which areas of first team squad needed long term replacements, more depth etc. Rather than the game generating youth players in positions you don't need or they have no chance of getting to first team squad.

What would be the fun in that? Does every academy only gets first team squad long term replacements?

What would be the point of having a level to the youth academy then :lol:

1 hour ago, João14 said:

What would be the fun in that? Does every academy only gets first team squad long term replacements?

What would be the point of having a level to the youth academy then :lol:

Defo no fun, but it may at least give them a chance of getting into first team squad if there is a place up for grabs. Say you have a player who is 33 and rather and go out to find the right replacement, the academy could present some options. Or you could ask for positions to be recruited for in the long term.

Otherwise they're being retrained :D

On 28/01/2024 at 23:49, The phoenix from the flames said:

Would be good if youth setup identified which areas of first team squad needed long term replacements, more depth etc. Rather than the game generating youth players in positions you don't need or they have no chance of getting to first team squad.

Young lads coming through in real life are still experimenting in different positions and roles anyway. So in game it's a case of you identifying where each player will play best and training it.

There's no youth system out there pondering which position they need. You want to hoover up the best players even if they're all centre backs.

7 hours ago, wearesporting said:

Young lads coming through in real life are still experimenting in different positions and roles anyway. So in game it's a case of you identifying where each player will play best and training it.

There's no youth system out there pondering which position they need. You want to hoover up the best players even if they're all centre backs.

Undoubtedly, I have done this myself on current Scunthorpe save. My point was that it would be great if the game gave options for you to focus on long term replacements for certain areas, but in reality, yes, you need coverage for multiple positions, with the chance that one or two could break into the first team squad.

You think about it real life...a manager will have discussions with the academy manager, know which players could have the potential to breakthrough, earmark talents to watch. Lot of factors for it to work and fail. Small percentages potentially, but still a possibility of it happening.

I'm yet to bring anyone through to first team yet on current Scunthorpe save, although spent nowhere as much as original poster on youth academy investment. Got a longer path to tread though. Just layed out a further £1.6m to go from adequate to average youth facilities. Next youth intake preview rated C's only, but encouragingly now far more squad coverage than what I was previously getting - typically just 4-5 players in fewer positions, with maybe 1-2 elite talents. This was lower leagues though, on the ascent.

I've had to release all academy players to date as simply not up to the standard I need. I did even go through unattached players, scouted some, brought them in on frees, trying to rebuild the academy, but didn't work. Now my Mexican chief scout just points me to promising South Americans and other Europeans. Signed a Dutch 19 year old goalie and now he's a wonderkid. Just wish I was getting that through academy invest, but guess its the long game.

Edited by The phoenix from the flames
typos