Question about roles that are moving to the same channel/space

Hi All,

I've been thinking about player roles that are moving to the same channel or space during a game, like a Mezzala and an Inside Forward or a Winger and a Wing Back etc. etc. And Im reading some many different opinions about how to use them or avoid it when creating a tactic.

What are your thoughts or experiences with this? Specifically:

• How do you make these roles work effectively or do you recommend not to use it?
  • How do these  roles affect your team's overall play style? Do they offer more flexibility or create confusion?

I want to know how you manage this in your tactics. Thanks!

Edited by ultrAslan

I usually try to attack each of 5 channels with one player. For ex; wb(a)- if(s)- pf(a)- am(s) with roam- w(s/a). You can also use the same channel with players who are close to each other like mez/iw- w/wb to overload the opposition. That way you can create 2v1 situation.

You also have to think about WHEN they in these spaces.

Playing a 4-3-3 with a BBM and a IF-At on the right side is fine and a MEZ-Su should work to because the midfielder should arrive in the half-space when the IF is about to advance further forward into the box. But a CM/MEZ-At would probably be in the half space at the same time with the IF-A. A IF-Su would make it even worse.

But isn't as bad as in older FMs anymore where players really were standing on each others feet.Now the player that is in the space first seems to get some kind of priority and the second player will stay away until the first player leaves. You can utilize that by using a CM-At that occupies the space early and pushes the IF more outside. The IF then should run in the box diagonally later than usual and in a different angle, playing more like a winger that is deeper cutting into the box.

Getting players closer to each other is also good to create overloads and/or playing one-twos. So it isn't always bad to have 2 players attack the same space at the same time but it depends on your tactical approach if it's good or bad.

11 minutes ago, Maddux said:

You also have to think about WHEN they in these spaces.

Playing a 4-3-3 with a BBM and a IF-At on the right side is fine and a MEZ-Su should work to because the midfielder should arrive in the half-space when the IF is about to advance further forward into the box. But a CM/MEZ-At would probably be in the half space at the same time with the IF-A. A IF-Su would make it even worse.

But isn't as bad as in older FMs anymore where players really were standing on each others feet.Now the player that is in the space first seems to get some kind of priority and the second player will stay away until the first player leaves. You can utilize that by using a CM-At that occupies the space early and pushes the IF more outside. The IF then should run in the box diagonally later than usual and in a different angle, playing more like a winger that is deeper cutting into the box.

Getting players closer to each other is also good to create overloads and/or playing one-twos. So it isn't always bad to have 2 players attack the same space at the same time but it depends on your tactical approach if it's good or bad.

In this case yes it is properly coded so the IF don't collide with the Mezz or cm attack but with 2 strikers it isn't the case, the collision happens and both players attack the same space at the same time no postion shifting you can verify it for yourself play a CM(a) in a team with 2 strikers and what should happen is the strikers shift and make room for him to form a 3 striker partnership but in FM they don't so you end up with a assymetrical trio which is conflicting in positional play just any tactic with 2 strikers and you will see this happening, hoped that FM24 would fix this cause it has been ages but has remained

vor 4 Minuten schrieb avenger22:

In this case yes it is properly coded so the IF don't collide with the Mezz or cm attack but with 2 strikers it isn't the case, the collision happens and both players attack the same space at the same time no postion shifting you can verify it for yourself play a CM(a) in a team with 2 strikers and what should happen is the strikers shift and make room for him to form a 3 striker partnership but in FM they don't so you end up with a assymetrical trio which is conflicting in positional play just any tactic with 2 strikers and you will see this happening, hoped that FM24 would fix this cause it has been ages but has remained

I know that and i've seen it in my asymmetrical 3-4-1-2 with an offset shadow striker. The shadow strikers positioning and movement are great in midfield but in the box he is standing right in the central AF. Even with PIs that tell him to stay wide and that's the reason why u went for the Trequartista instead. I hoped that they fix it in FM 24 but they didn't. At least they got it right with other positions and spaces on the field. Maybe they will fix it in the new match engine for FM 25.

7 hours ago, ultrAslan said:

Hi All,

I've been thinking about player roles that are moving to the same channel or space during a game, like a Mezzala and an Inside Forward or a Winger and a Wing Back etc. etc. And Im reading some many different opinions about how to use them or avoid it when creating a tactic.

What are your thoughts or experiences with this? Specifically:

• How do you make these roles work effectively or do you recommend to not use it?
  • How do these  roles affect your team's overall play style? Do they offer more flexibility or create confusion?

I want to know how you manage this in your tactics. Thanks!

If two players are moving into the same space it's positive, they can do nice combination plays.

However, if they're both moving into the same channel they can get in each other's way in terms of finishing the chance.  

10 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

If two players are moving into the same space it's positive, they can do nice combination plays.

I was thinking the same until I was playing an inside forward with a mezalla that were attacking the same space. One of my players gave a pass in to space where the mezalla and inside forward was running and the inside forward smashed the mezalla. 

5 minutes ago, dzek said:

I have a question about this.

Move into channels and half spaces isnt the same spaces in the pitch? Because AF has move into channels PI hard coded and IF also moves in half spaces.

@Rashidi did a good thread, closely related, a couple of years or more back.  I've linked it above.  I believe he covers how SI define space / half-space / channels.  Don't know whether any of what he covered has become dated across newer additions of the game and how the M.E. works now.

8 hours ago, ultrAslan said:

I was thinking the same until I was playing an inside forward with a mezalla that were attacking the same space. One of my players gave a pass in to space where the mezalla and inside forward was running and the inside forward smashed the mezalla. 

Are they on support or attack? IF is a role I'd let move into goal scoring situations on his own a bit more.