FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Started a new game last night. Signed Dani Alves and Frederic Kanoute from Sevilla. Also brought in Govan Pandev from Lazio. Sevilla made a bid for Saha on transfer deadline day of around £12/13m which I accepted. With a deal to bring Bojan in from Barcelona signed and sealed (arrivs at the end of the season), I wasn't that bothered about losing Saha as he'd probably be injured for the majority of the season anyway. Amazingly, Rooney got injured on THAT day and subsequently left me with Tevez and Pandev. I made a bid of £15.7m for Kanoute, and now I've got him on board. Breno is coming is coming in January, Giovanni Dos Santos, Banega, Alex, Lulinha and Mezenga (returning from Antwerp) are all arriving in the summer of 2008.

With regards to the season, Anderson has been the one my brightest players so far. I lost 2-0 in the Community Shield, Amauri scoring twice. In the Premier League, I'm a couple of points clear of Chelsea. Played Already played Arsenal (away) and Liverpool at home. Drew 2-2 with Arsenal, beating Liverpool quite comfortably 3-0 at Old Trafford. Battered copenhagen 5-2 away in the first game of the Champions League.

I have opted to assign the captaincy to Owen Hargeaves and keep Giggs as the vice-captain. Not players, I think it was only Scholes, said they were unhappy that Neville is longer captain. Ferdinand and Rooney are have also been given the armband during games. Pandev is my top scorer so far, with 7 goals.

Ronaldo (Arsenal), Ferdinand (Barcelona & Real), Vidic (Inter and Milan) and Carrick (Real and Milan) have all been subject to enquiries, which were immediately thrown out!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half way through my first season with Man Utd, played 21 games, won 19, drawn 2, scored 62 goals, conceded 6. Beating Arsenal and Liverpool 5-0 away and Chelsea 6-0 at home as well.

I would recommend just sticking with the original team and bring in youngsters for the future. Rooney and Tevez don't really work well upfront together, but since I sold Saha, my only other backup strikers are Aaritalo and Zarate (just came in Jan). They scored tons of goals, but that's more due to the insane amount of chances Anderson, Nani and Ronaldo made for them (they miss at least 3 sitters each every game).

Ferdinand and Vidic hasn't put a foot wrong all season, Evra has been great, but I will need to replace Neville as soon as possible. He for some reason likes to pretend to be a CB and mark the striker I told Ferdinand to mark, thus leaving the opposition's winger completely free to cross. Fortunately for me, Neville does block the cross more often than not. Barragan from Deportivo looks like a good replacingment.

The times when Carrick and Hargreaves have both been injured, Gibson has been able to make the step up and fill in CM (CM with a down arrow to DM). But I am thinking about buying Javi Martinez (wonderkid CM from Athletic) to replace Carrick with Gibson rotting in my reserve. Anderson has been nothing but Superb for me, he starts every game ahead of Scholes.

VDS has been doing well for me, make vital saved when called upon, but didn't really need to do too much each game. Kuszczak is not too bad, although he has conceded alot more goal, but I blame myself for using a weaker defence when he plays, which is only in the league cup (lost my first game 3-1 to Bolton) and the FA cup (won my first game 4-3 vs Reading).

I have not experience any bad selling from my chairman yet, but I have to negotiate a 14m deal to 20m for Evra from Barca (they refused). Other than that, noone has seriously tried to take my players.

Just won the treble icon_biggrin.gif Prem,league cup,FA cup and final of the Champs league. Woulda won that too if Rooney, Tevez, Nani, Vidic weren't injured >.<

In: Fred - £19m

Thiago - £6m

Hobbs - £4m

Breno - £8m

Looking for a world class winger for cover to Nani and Ronaldo.

Out:

Kuzsack - £6m

Pique rejected Arsenal for 15m icon_frown.gif

Evra rejected Barca for 20m.

I have so much depth and wonderkids the prem should be a breezeeee again. Won 14 pts clear last season icon_biggrin.gif Fernandez tutoring Piatti icon_biggrin.gif Got a new contract so can't wait till next season and look where my wonderkids are! hehe

let me tell u ppl loser something straight man. u ppl cant play fm for nuts. vida and rio is the best CB u can ever have. i dun see the point in sellin them off. really u guys r plain 2puid. i onli bought martinez , taiwo, barragan, jovetic... thats all i need and i gt a treble in 1st season... i read on with this bloody thread man. even if they r useless wheres ur sense of pride for uniteed? i even keep fletcher oshea and all for the likin of manu...

Well didn't i just crash and BURN.

Results:

FRIENDLIES:

Fluminese: 5-0

Antwerp: 7-0

Community shield:

Chelsea: 1-3 disappointing performance

Prem:

Chelsea: 2-2 let them come back from 2 up.

Aston Villa: 4-2 decent performance

Arsenal: 0-3 appaling performance. Dominated me and wasted my chances.

On paper my squad is truly amazing with no weaknesses. Just bought Ashley Young. Can't wait for Ronaldoo and Nani to get back. Giggs is playing so bad.

Lets hope for some better performances so i can retain my title. icon_biggrin.gif

Just started a Utd game, lost the Community Shield on pens after a 1-1 draw in normal time

Won my first 4 league games including a 4-1 win over Arsenal, next up Liverpool at home.

Vidic scored a scorcher against Newcastle, from a free kick, after Anderson (my best player so far) rolled the ball to the Serb 30 yards from goal

i have signed Veloso for £1.6 million (plus future incentives rising to £6 million) and will be signing 17 year-old Janovic from Partizan for £1.4 on Jan 1st 08.

Originally posted by worm:

Just started a Utd game, lost the Community Shield on pens after a 1-1 draw in normal time

Won my first 4 league games including a 4-1 win over Arsenal, next up Liverpool at home.

Vidic scored a scorcher against Newcastle, from a free kick, after Anderson (my best player so far) rolled the ball to the Serb 30 yards from goal

i have signed Veloso for £1.6 million (plus future incentives rising to £6 million) and will be signing 17 year-old Janovic from Partizan for £1.4 on Jan 1st 08.

I really really have a hard time imaging Vidic taking a free kick in real life lol

Originally posted by Illdisposed:

my.php?image=manchesterunitedrecordvp5.jpg

In case the direct link doesn't work, then It's a picture of my FIFTY NINE UNBEATEN record in FM08 ! I Haven't used editor, or anything dodgey, my tactics are my own, (homemade) and i haven't used any knowledge from any other Manchester United gamers.

record.jpg

Originally posted by MD-Ronaldo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Illdisposed:

my.php?image=manchesterunitedrecordvp5.jpg

In case the direct link doesn't work, then It's a picture of my FIFTY NINE UNBEATEN record in FM08 ! I Haven't used editor, or anything dodgey, my tactics are my own, (homemade) and i haven't used any knowledge from any other Manchester United gamers.

record.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Done icon14.gif

Originally posted by 1a2a3a:

let me tell u ppl loser something straight man. u ppl cant play fm for nuts. vida and rio is the best CB u can ever have. i dun see the point in sellin them off. really u guys r plain 2puid. i onli bought martinez , taiwo, barragan, jovetic... thats all i need and i gt a treble in 1st season... i read on with this bloody thread man. even if they r useless wheres ur sense of pride for uniteed? i even keep fletcher oshea and all for the likin of manu...

I agree mate. I was trying to say somthing early on in the thread but people dont listen they just post up there story and **** off. What is the point of this thread ? just post what you have done then go away ? :|

And if most of you was Man United fans why would you want to sell Vidic and Ferdinand let alone Ronaldo or Anderson. If you love United then you must like the players. Thats the whole point of taking charge of Man United. If you dont like the team take control of another team because with all the players your all buying you aint winning **** with United its your made up team of superstars.

Originally posted by 1a2a3a:

cut the text talk...

Right, finally done with first season. A 31-match unbeaten streak carried me to the Premiership title, seven points clear of Arsenal. I had to win my players' confidences back after a poor start but once you get the tactics sorted it's alright....then beat Chelsea in an absolutely EPIC Champions League Final:

uclxw3.th.png

And a few more screenies:

Squad - squadyp3.th.png

Transfers - transfersip3.th.png

Thinking of getting rid of Saha (he's been terrible for me) and possibly bringing in Vaughan from Everton...couple of others I'm keeping tabs on but feel free to suggest

I have just started a new game with Man Utd and have sold quite a few players because I personally dont think they are very good in the game, the players I sold are:

Evra - £7.5m

Carrcik - £7.5m

Fletcher - £5m

Lee - £500k

Fangzhuo - £1m

Evans - £2.5m

Campbell - £1m

Gibson - £1.5m

Saha - Plan to sell in near future

Players I have bought so far are:

Owen - £9m

Van der Vaart - £12.25m

Aaritalo - £230k (had to pay this becuase of competition)

Is there any players you reccomend I sign?

Thanks, harryseaess

Originally posted by Harryseaess:

I have just started a new game with Man Utd and have sold quite a few players because I personally dont think they are very good in the game, the players I sold are:

Evra - £7.5m

Carrcik - £7.5m

Fletcher - £5m

Lee - £500k

Fangzhuo - £1m

Evans - £2.5m

Campbell - £1m

Gibson - £1.5m

Owen - £9m

Van der Vaart - £12.25m

Thanks, harryseaess

First off, those sales are terrible - you could have got so much more for Evra, Carrick and even Fletcher. However, look at Guilherme (Vasco?) a look at LB and Ever Banega for DM (a steal at £3M). Definitely get rid of Saha and bring in just about anyone else! He's terrible...icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by b101:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harryseaess:

Evra - £7.5m

Carrcik - £7.5m

Fletcher - £5m

Lee - £500k

Fangzhuo - £1m

Evans - £2.5m

Campbell - £1m

Gibson - £1.5m

Owen - £9m

Van der Vaart - £12.25m

Thanks, harryseaess

First off, those sales are terrible - you could have got so much more for Evra, Carrick and even Fletcher. However, look at Guilherme (Vasco?) a look at LB and Ever Banega for DM (a steal at £3M). Definitely get rid of Saha and bring in just about anyone else! He's terrible...icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I could have got more but I wanted to get rid quick so that I could buy new players. Breno is coming on 1st January for £3.7m.

Ive just checked and Banega has gone to Werder Bremen for £2.5m.

I have made an offer for Guilherme and I will tell you how I get on, what is the max he is worth?

Thanks for reply.

Cheers, harryseaess

Right, finally done with first season. A 31-match unbeaten streak carried me to the Premiership title, seven points clear of Arsenal. I had to win my players' confidences back after a poor start but once you get the tactics sorted it's alright....then beat Chelsea in an absolutely EPIC Champions League Final:

uclxw3.th.png

Squad - squadyp3.th.png

Thinking of getting rid of Saha (he's been terrible for me) and possibly bringing in Vaughan from Everton...couple of others I'm keeping tabs on but feel free to suggest

Where can i get that skin

Originally posted by jonahno6:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by b101:

uclxw3.th.png

Squad - squadyp3.th.png

Where can i get that skin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here

Originally posted by baz1:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jonahno6:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by b101:

uclxw3.th.png

Squad - squadyp3.th.png

Where can i get that skin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, its changing skin as i speak

Originally posted by jonahno6:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slimbluesuk:

chairmen accepted 33 million for vidic from ac milian i need a replacement asap

or 2 :p

Criscito from Juve, He's immense </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

seconded

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harryseaess:

Evra - £7.5m

Carrcik - £7.5m

Fletcher - £5m

Lee - £500k

Fangzhuo - £1m

Evans - £2.5m

Campbell - £1m

Gibson - £1.5m

Owen - £9m

Van der Vaart - £12.25m

Thanks, harryseaess

First off, those sales are terrible - you could have got so much more for Evra, Carrick and even Fletcher. However, look at Guilherme (Vasco?) a look at LB and Ever Banega for DM (a steal at £3M). Definitely get rid of Saha and bring in just about anyone else! He's terrible...icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know he could have got more i sole evra for 40 mil and fletcher for 15mil

Almost to the end of my first season with United. Have managed to win the CS and the PL with 7 matches left. Have gone on an incredible unbeaten run to see my self at 28W 4D and 0L. Scored 63 and conceded only 10. Into the Finals of the FA Cup and into the Semi Finals of the CL. All four squads are from England: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United... icon_smile.gif

My u-18's have had an even better season, cureently 22 matches played 18W 3D and 1L, scoring 61 and letting in only 8.

Haven't bought anybody as of yet. All my transfers will arrive next season.

First of all, in English please.

Second of all, your telling us we can't play FM when you obviously hav'nt got a clue.

What is the point of posting something like this when it does'nt even make sense.

I'm thinking of a new striker as rotation with Tevez (I play Rooney at AMC) and Saha is poor. Who would you suggest of: (I have £36M in the kitty)

Edison Cavani (£20M+)

Karim Benzema (£20M+)

Lukas Podolski (£13M)

Sergio Aguero (£30M ish)

James Vaughan (£15M ish) - plus he's English

Cheers people (just coming up to second season btw)

**** :|

My balance has gone into the red for the first time ever on any FM. This is at the start of February icon_frown.gif I seriously need to win every competition I'm in now. (CL, FA Cup and Prem)

I do have the CL First Knockout Round near the end of the month, maybe that will get me out of the red if I win.

Also applied for another feeder club, which will hopefully be another merchandising one.

Originally posted by JawKam:

Dean Aston would be good since he's big and strong. You need a targetman imo

Far too slow - I like my team to have pace everywhere, and Dean (good as he is) only has 8 for pace...not good enough

Originally posted by Sheps.:

**** :|

My balance has gone into the red for the first time ever on any FM. This is at the start of February icon_frown.gif I seriously need to win every competition I'm in now. (CL, FA Cup and Prem)

I do have the CL First Knockout Round near the end of the month, maybe that will get me out of the red if I win.

Also applied for another feeder club, which will hopefully be another merchandising one.

had the same problem with me... and at the same time, pique was unhappy because i was always raising the price of him going to barcelona. but once i've secured the epl, he returned to normal and profits began to come icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Finished the first season, won the treble and yet the board is disappointed that we lost in the league cup 3rd round.

Sold:

Vidic - 30m + 50% sell on clause to AC Milian

Pique - 30m + 50% sell on clause to Seville

Aaritalo - 8.5m to Newcastle

Bought:

Aguero - 34m

Billy Sharp - 4.4m

Fabrice Muamba - 17.5m

Breno - 8.25m - The fans are unhappy about this

Mattlock - 5m (LB from Bolton)

Trying the sign Craig Gordon and selling Kuszczak (Portsmouth has accepted a 5m offer for him). Not going to renew Giggs and Scholes contract at the end of the 09 season. Neville will get 1 more season just the see if Simpsons can make it or not.

Have to look for a backup winger (either side will do) who would wait a year or two for Giggs to leave. I do have Wijnaldum in my reserves but I need someone who can play in the Prem now and will turn World Class in a year or two.

is anyone else finding the transfer fees on this game are just ridiculous? i like to see the huge transfers but it's a little frustrating when teams like Palermo are asking £55M for a striker

I dont seem to be finding this on my game thus far. Who were you going for? It may be they dont want to sell and they're trying to warn you off?

just finishing up first season of 08 with man u, playing a diamond 442, into champions league final vs chelsea, came second to arsenal in premiership...scholes is my top performer, tevez/rooney combo not working but playing well up front on their own

Originally posted by Sheps.:

is anyone else finding the transfer fees on this game are just ridiculous? i like to see the huge transfers but it's a little frustrating when teams like Palermo are asking £55M for a striker

I dont seem to be finding this on my game thus far. Who were you going for? It may be they dont want to sell and they're trying to warn you off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Cavani and I ended up going for James Vaughan instead. It's just that I've seen at least ten £30M transfers this summer alone, and lots of weird ones (£15M for Fabianski). Still, it's entertaining!

To steve: try playing one up front, slightly to the side and then the other with a forward arrow from Attacking Mid - seems to work for me

Originally posted by --Galaxy--:

how did you get that much batty??? i can only get 4mil Max for fletcher?

I put him on the transfer list asking for nothing when a team bid 0 for him i went to negotiate and asked for 15mil over 24 months he went to villa. Did the same with tevez got 50mil for him and with evra both went to arsenal

hi there, after only winning the charity shield in my first season the pressure is on me to do well in my second and i need some quality players to replace some of my underperforming/rubbish places.

here are my future ins/out after first season.

Ins

oscar ustari-9 million

Outs

louis saha-5 mil

tomasz kuszczak- 3 mil

ji-sung park-4 mil

i am also keen to get rid of van der sar too

after these transfers i am left with 19 mil transfer budget left. i mainly need a new striker and a left winger as good cover for giggs.

anyone any ideas?

thanks in advance icon14.gif

Archived