[FM24] Valencia CF - Lifting The Mates

Alejandro_FM

As a long time fan of the game and of this forum, I’ve been itching to log a career journey. I am an experienced FM player, but an inexperienced poster. So, I’ll be working to find the right balance between pontificating, and being brief, and the right frequency of updates… I've already played ahead a bit, so the first few updates will come in succession. 

Why Spain? 

I find that La Liga provides a good balance for a long term journey. Barca and Real are formidable rivals even 7-10 years into a save. In my experience, the only other league that provides this level of challenge long into the future is the Premier League. However, in the Premier League, the money in the early goings is just too easy. So we’re headed to Spain. 

I should mention, I play the game relatively slowly. Even with lots of playing time (and that’s not a given), I still take 2-4 weeks of real life time per season. I like it that way. 

Valencia Club de Fútbol ("Los Ches" - The Mates)

ZD7-JoBcFRUeW61EFonufBs4okZRY_QfUqnc13qwiBtsGInVt5C_U7PY2CUmii3l9NpwXN6VnK9K_1KcuxAh1eOCN8uFdmKB1gyr_c4bfaahkUt_CjHrZSmozqrJW7epxVhY9LxQdMsyzbUmHWYtgp4

Back on FM19, I had a glorious run with Valencia. They were a far easier project back then, with a strong core (Rodrigo Moreno, Jose Gaya, Carlos Soler, among others) and a squad that was arguably the 4th best in La Liga. 

Valencia of 2023 is not Valencia of 2019, though. The financial difficulties have been around for some time, but they’ve gotten worse. The club has taken on massive debt to finance the construction of the New Mestalla stadium (which was delayed multiple times in real life; in game it’s slated to complete in the summer of 2025). There’s an explicit board requirement to “buy players to sell for profit”, so like real-life, the club expects us to maintain an annual transfer surplus to counter significant operating losses in other departments. So, it should be be a challenge to balance the budgets. 

The playing staff is lower to mid table quality, with Jose Gaya as the lone remaining star from a line up that finished 4th in La Liga in 2018/19. The club has not finished higher than 9th since. They finished 2022/23 in 16th place. 

The academy set up is quite strong, and the board wants us to develop players coming through the youth system as a foundational part of the club culture. 

image.thumb.png.2422de7f4fb20baeccb34dcf07f5496f.png

Long term objectives

Obviously, over the course of the coming seasons, we’d like to achieve competition success, including winning La Liga, qualifying for Europe and being competitive in the UCL. However, this save is more about the journey and less about the milestones… 

We’ll build the club around speed and intelligence

We'll try to follow 3 simple principles with regards to squad building: 

1. Player development focus - Prioritize the academy. Investing when possible in improving facilities and coaching, giving a path to young players and so on. 
  2. U23 recruitment focus - We’ll (mostly) limit our scouting and incoming transfers to young, unproven talent (U23). 
  3. Sustainable financial model - We won’t go into the red. What constitutes a realistic transfer and wage budget will clearly evolve over time. 

I'd like to construct the team around speed and intelligence. The (made up) club motto of Futbol Ingenioso is an attempt to paint the picture of a Valencia player as one who's quick learn and adapt and who makes good and sometimes inventive decisions in a swift manner, and has the physical and technical attributes to execute them efficiently. My aspiration is for decisions, anticipation and acceleration to be our foundational DNA attributes, impacting team selection, recruiting and contracts. 

That's about it. Next up, the initial assessment of the playing squad... 

Initial assessment and plan

Before diving in… a few words about how I use stats and attributes 

Within FM, I somewhat distrust individual stats in the context of scouting and recruitment. The primary reasons are: 

• Many of the leagues aren’t loaded or simulated in full detail

• Individual stats are highly correlated with a team's tactical setup and the team’s success. 

I do use statistics extensively to assess team tactics and performance, and individual performance within the context of our own team setup. However, when it comes to scouting and recruitment, I mostly look at attributes and scout reports to assess a player’s potential fit with our team. 

Now, I don’t want to obsess over exact numerical values, so I use a color scheme to give me a quick read on a player. Here’s a bit more on that…

To make the colors more useful, I’ve moved away from the default attribute ranges by groups of five and attempted to add more meaning to the colors. The following table summarizes the change: 

Color / level 

Default range in game

Adjusted range

Green - Excellent 

16+

15+

Yellow - Good

11-15

13-14

Grey - Average 

6-10

10-12

Red - Low 

1-5

1-9

This is based on an analysis I did on 12 outfield attributes and how they were distributed across the ~430 active players in La Liga in my first season at Valencia. In a nutshell, what I realized about attribute spreads was: 

• 15 or above implied top quartile, and for some attributes even top 10%
  • 13-14 usually implied being in the 50th-75th percentile (sometimes even 85th). 
  • 10-12 usually meant being in the 15th-50th  percentile. 
  • 9 or below usually implied being in the bottom 5-15% of players.  

There was some nuance to these findings, but I felt comfortable that the new ranges and color coding will give me a better insight into players’ readiness for the first team and their fit for specific roles in our tactics. 

Alright… now, the actual assessment

Our squad is not particularly balanced. There’s a multitude of center backs and defensive midfielders and not a lot of quality in attack. There's also not a ton of depth, but we don't have a ton of matches this season with no European competitions so depth should not be a major issue. 

image.thumb.png.1d8306a7a61ed24f1d6588d08ae2e308.png

Notable players include: 

Jose Gaya - 28 year-old Spanish international left-back. An icon and club captain. One of the best in La Liga in his position. 

Hugo Duro - our man up front, a 23-year-old Spanish striker with a killer left-foot, and solid spread of attributes. 

Javi Guerra - a 20 year-old academy graduate that can play many roles in central midfield. One we’d hope to build around for years to come.  

Giorgi Mamardashvilly - a 23 years old GK from Georgia. Already at La Liga level with quite a bit of room to develop. Should be our starter for years (unless we need to generate cash). 

(SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM THE MIDSEASON)

JosGay_Profile.thumb.png.afb73008bfa7e551a912f34fefd48614.pngJaviGuerra.thumb.png.bc9fd09d08717b21b7ae0eb6089e64d8.pngHugoDuro.thumb.png.1e71bd1654e182cac6424fd5dda5aadd.pngGiorgiMamardashvili_Profile.thumb.png.6e2d02444eb6982e477a04c375688fab.png

How we lined up to start season 1:

A somewhat simple asymmetric 4-2-3-1. The initial style of play we’ve tried to implement - dubbed “Valencianos”, is a high pressing system with lots of vertical passing, an attempt to overload the left side of midfield. The idea behind this was to get Guerra and Gaya heavily involved, with plenty of options for a final pass to any of the front 3, Almeida, Canos and Duro. 

image.png.2403538c50964d76511cadaf6be2d49a.png

The first transfer window has been disabled so there are no incoming and outgoings in our pre-season (playing the “Original” game mode). VAMOS LOS CHES! 

Season 1 (2023/2024) - Recap

ZD7-JoBcFRUeW61EFonufBs4okZRY_QfUqnc13qwiBtsGInVt5C_U7PY2CUmii3l9NpwXN6VnK9K_1KcuxAh1eOCN8uFdmKB1gyr_c4bfaahkUt_CjHrZSmozqrJW7epxVhY9LxQdMsyzbUmHWYtgp4

Results

This was a successful first season in charge. Interestingly, I won manager of the year. I guess the media expectations were quite low. In my head, we’re a massive club and it’s a dream job. 

We were expected to finish 9th. A mid-table side. From that perspective, we overachieved - finishing 5th in the final table, securing Europa League qualification and coming very close to the top 4. However, we managed to incorporate a mini bottle job over the last month of the season. 

KnHK6zl3EWalI4LvqtTkeiTzGeCoiADYG1seaTh9hCK0jbW1F4iLwYOEGwMXz4yAdhTFnZEwHUQuFWTIUj_ml9K5_2IfDdzEm1POsTGgA337Ytb-77O9DuNSen_wH3JCFhvNAo1wm5jiFafLaGbbWVk

We were 4th coming into the final day, with an advantage over 5th placed Atleti (having won and drawn the 2 games between the teams, earlier in season). All we had to do was beat Granada at home. We could not do it. Finished 2-2, while Atleti won comfortably and surpassed us in the table, to secure Champions League qualification.

3LFGUH_75ODOVX2s1cSxq7DCXgLXT4rcxT8XHgWf_QLn76wa1AJQlQP0U19e-XtmR0m7grQa8jTeVYj3n6EJkS3FqzZjmMnB7ajKSdVj_7ySuqpshm6X8yb030izzMbhs08STmKEDFyj0nwOafU9YZ0

Performance

We slightly underperformed our metrics. The xG table actually had us finishing 3rd. But overall, I think our final position is justified. Real Sociedad was spectacular all season, conceding a league low 18(!) goals, and finished a well deserved 2nd place. We could not defeat them in our 2 encounters this season

ZvhmUWtJ7wqw43Jz_OLQY3SCSehOyVJY8V0PfrTa7XV5Ow7X8iFwAw7C3aaMm2LJybeA5GwA3lV6SV4NGCzOJvIeLm53SEeIcqsUxfh3iARAVUawl7yXnqiFMQckIPlF-YxZfHexa3zoJPvYevzHtks

Style of play is something we’re still working on and evolving. However, we’ve already established ourselves as a decisive, attack minded football team. 

• We create a lot of good chances - 2nd in xG and NP-xG/90 (1.78) behind Real, we’re 4th in chances created.  
  • We take many shots on goal  - 2nd highest behind Real (~12.95 shots/game), but a less stellar conversion rate (16%, 6th in La Liga).
  • We cross a lot - 2nd in crosses attempted behind Sevilla. 
  • We work hard on our press - 3rd in high intensity sprints, but perhaps not as high up the pitch as others (10th in OPPDA with 5.2)
  • We scored 20(!) goals from corners. Many of these are scrambles and not direct from our routines. Interestingly, I had not much to do with it as I’ve relied on my staff to create the routines
  • We’re 4h in final third passes - behind the Big 3 of Spanish football. 

Squad and Transfers

Three additional items to discuss looking back at season 1 - (a) Notable player performances, (b) transfers and (c) our very first youth intake. 

(a) As far as individual performances go - the ones to highlight: 

Hugo Duro - 21 goals (3rd in La Liga) and 4 assists. Surprisingly, he’s only 13th in La Liga in shots/90 (2.05), which tells me that he’s a fairly efficient striker, and also that our aggressive shooting as a team is largely driven by our midfielders and wingers.

Fran Perez - a back-up winger, was our assist leader, quite shockingly. He had 10 assists in only 6 starts - 29 sub appearances - and also topped the team chart in OpKP/90 - 1.9 and Chances Created/90 - 0.95). Not counting on him long term though. 

Sergi Canos - 5 goals and 10 assists in 20 starts (10 sub appearances). He started the season as our first choice AMR, mostly as an inverted winger. Most likely will be a backup next season (more on that below). 

ssmsGGdnIi6oeZrY6Scn_YLkVk2_H36tSgS-NZrNWMi22nZ951beGjbJvgX55l4ixq9hqL28xCdH6KfsvtTlaEVNag2Eg26Bw2PdAOfpMLzJ5WMa7B80VXXQpcmuVj8gl-XpLvwEc-PhhJylgVg8toE

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-12-01105456.png.6d433b7c3f2f09bb47c5a137920f1231.png

INGh9ZuygpeV2tHTrvRJ96ebdc19khS95iJKRNfE-aQLmLqTHo7iTYLDfsu_ou_ozVbgPI6qp6Ly-xFffDqbQbrBE9SNP1L6EXrBWWFyTWeIX9u9EaK8HjEjfNlisezgBz-sekhmtdQd7T72Vozrz6M

Spoiler

image.png.a18b43dbd1b39bcf5e56d014252eb7f9.png

vYtMmyqCO3dSEEsu3R5C-4YkKFX0C-U-_sAPD8rb-d4OFiR-TOFJbefo7Ph_rNB9TiDovZ5Yg7SHYxSLvuTVTy5ZlWTXv42d3S1zESxcjd0fwSp4_yowHEWkRC4n0p3VqP80nS3sUHl_6tTvWqMi9MY

(b) Transfer news

As I mentioned previously, the first transfer window was disabled so the market was quiet until January. But then, the Saudis knocked on the door… 

OUTGOING - €110M in guaranteed fees

Gswn8PsbN9wl4SF3ey2d97-JOqPolaa0JbiKNHBbCXxFHxZF31ARNorpOkRYarBrpo4XFgt0uwTIlE_iveFGfPUseGWmW3FWicP0v3Td_dAhofcJ19t9vfrAvZ-wd9JE08B1zY4YJyoGI2_0nyZz0O4

We sold two cornerstones of the team from 4 years ago, Jose Gaya and Moukhtar Diakhabi. Raked over €100m between the two of them (not all upfront). Nevertheless, this has given the club some much needed breathing room.  Are the finances going to be too easy because of the Saudi clubs? 

INCOMING - €35M in committed fees

mI_EWTuygZ6wBU-UD8SUKUbPiwvQ3Dd3VW6dq42EzrkR9cMfjAMoPU8p65qSCxRuYnsKMNzatzptHrBfbegFeZ8ZG5uf_LMSKKVX5a89JKYpt7qmwT7__PgJQzMfoEtuwoyHQQuZ3QX-dZpNJNJPmR8

In return, we brought in:

Valentin Barco - the argentinian left-back wonderkid. He’s still acclimating, but will be a key player going forward. 

Roony Bardghji - the Swedish right wing prodigy. Mostly backed up Sergi Canos since coming in, but will surely surpass him very soon. 

Marcel Ruiz - a Mexican center midfielder. Ruiz settled in quickly with 7 assists in 17 appearances. He was 2nd in La Liga in Assists/90 (0.47)  since joining us. 0.40 xA from open play. 

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-12-01111445.png.78ec0cb3e72d693ab858beb3523a5019.png

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-12-01111426.png.4fefdc5e39636fd9b92c73a9bfa9e31a.png

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-12-01111400.png.70491f04b9d6952e4f0b71cf003bc27b.png

Our wages to turnover is 2nd best in La Liga. Overall wage bill is ~€30m/year, 9th or 10th in the league, but remarkably far below any premier league team. In fact, 3 teams in the EFL Championship (Leeds, Southampton and Leicester) spend more on wages than us. We'll to spend a little more next season in Europe, but then again, this should not be a problem given the profit we delivered so far. 

lpN5c3B6mrIj-iCHnQa3dm3VROnOeVCtrgcdqc-UQWnfb2f8wew4KLKnTO_YmoOVd5vBhgQOWI3Faf7QkZ_GtKE6BXN4TjPfOkFhXCKcwbiMCauHXd_6w_qL3L1RiAeATXRUReZREpY254OF5SQLukQ

(c) And finally - our very first youth intake

What a haul it was, indeed. Our staff believes that there are six 5-star prospects and three 4/4.5 stars in this intake class of 2024! 

The assessment may be inflated given the relative weakness (in current ability terms) of our current squad, but still, this is absolutely nuts.

I excluded from the screenshot below some of the 3 star prospects, but there were a few of those too. We ended up signing a whooping 11 new guys to our u19 team. 

We'll try to give them all detailed development plans, training and mentoring as appropriate. In this thread - I'll bring on updates if/when any of them make the first team. 

image.thumb.png.6fc0a86e1150f2fdbfc95b2766f7b2eb.png

This guy is the best of the bunch - already an elite passer. Can I develop the next David Silva? Pablo Aimar? 

Spoiler

image.png.eacc4ec4a2f317abe748f5eb372ec624.png

What's next?

As we're preparing for season 2, I've got to think through an evolution of our tactics. I also expect to continue turning over the squad, and to bring in some fresh faces over the summer. 

Until then ... Vamos Los Ches! 

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck with Valencia. It's a lovely city (was there last month) and a club I enjoyed managing for two fun years (chronicled on these very pages) in FM22.

I also play FM slowly, so hope you enjoy your time as and when you get to play!

Thank you @Jogo Bonito! ... lovely city indeed. I've only been once (in 2010). 

Feels as if you now have the foundations set for next season, some big potential coming through the doors to help on the field. 

Really enjoy managing in Spain, as you said, it is nice to have a few mega clubs in the league, along with Atletico who will also be there or there abouts come the end of season. 

Thank you @MattyLewis11 and @AlfieLucas. I am loving it so far at Valencia. Hoping to develop the next iteration of great local talent. There's proper competition so far in the league so far. I have been very impressed with Sociedad. And in season 2 (which I started), Villareal is proving quite formidable as well. 

@Alejandro_FM love the thread so far, Valencia is always a great project to work on within football manager and I was lucky enough to attend the Mestalla stadium tour and a match vs Real Valladolid a few years ago so I do have a soft spot for the club.

Setting the ground work for future success with great tactics and transfer activity. Keep up the good work!

Season 2 (2024/2025) - Offseason: 

Securing Europa League qualification for season 2 meant that our match load and expectations will be significantly higher going forward. 

We needed to do some serious offseason planning…

I often end up with a simple squad planning spreadsheet. Something I wish the in-game squad planner had, was the ability to quickly mark up on the depth chart who’s “a keeper” and who’s “expendable”. I use simple red/yellow/green bucketing, based on ability and performance, to prepare for the offseason. Something along the lines of: 

• Green - keep/build around 

• Yellow - keep for now/need more time to think/sell if a good offer comes in 

• Red - sell now. Not up to par. 

This is roughly what I had jotted down after season 1 in the late spring of 2024: 

Eyk22B4ul8XI7E_1EgF5o0vdWhUOsZwJjqkQ112679UrWXq6nkGSixoioxkc60Y9kD6t-6rbgtN_ICdGY3FAlyZg5RHIogUfKetcc-pE2Zx3BdNjgH4zRCQBc-nmXhYxxv8zPZKedvVswog76Ggi78M

I tend to leave out of my chart players who are either completely below par and definitely need to be sold (there are a handful of those around our squad), or simply too young to assess, i.e. academy prospects. 

My conclusion coming out of season 1 was that we needed: 

• Two center backs

• A right sided full-back

• A CM - run/support (with great off the ball movement)

• A backup / prospect striker

• A Versatile winger (or two).

This is a lot to try to do in one transfer window. And of course, we will need to replace any unexpected player departures – we have seen the vultures circling around our GK Mamardashvilly. 

Transfer news: 

So over the course of a busy summer of 2024-

OUTGOING - €145M in guaranteed fees

UcbExXeP4PJxYuZsYDCS-8TGMqdg-MtbQkOPuwXwUjELaoBTX3zeesS1_3k1WRcMMBi7FpNvlLW4IEmgKDQlXmUl63pnsuRdsAO3iLXjzAvEykn0_k9p1WaOfIczui7AwjSClChUKWKssQUtaQiwbG4

2Lozf3oA-FdANKv0FAQkJcNCqcMqmy1_NZJLHdPy4BaLHddmDJ1HXZT2Llg2y8ds9Cdp00TbC8W89El-EoqJ4oOaD0uYzY5vecIumFvS-jQmPLr-1HsJLnyBC7qWYSLSEzbVKZ4zNJx6D-f59N2JzAQ

Koba, Castillejo, Mari and Comert were loaned out last season and upon returning to the club, we concluded quickly that they wouldn't feature so they were sold for modest to decent returns. 

Diego Lopez was a backup in the front 3 last season and was just not good enough to stay on – so I was happy to see him go. Gabriel Paulista was sold as well. 

The biggest one, however, was Mamardashvilly, our starter in goal. Chelsea came in and he really wanted to go, so I decided to cash in and not stand in his way. Frankly, for a massive return, which again, tilted the scales towards a significant transfer fee surplus in this window. 

Later in the window our starter at holding midfield - Hugo Guillamon - requested to move to the Saudi Pro League for a shocking €17.5m/year in wages (that’s like £290,000/week).  

That the Saudis and EPL teams come and overpay for my good (but not great) players - is making the financial side of the journey far easier than I expected it to be, especially given the debt that the club has and just how troubled they are IRL. 

INCOMING - €80M in committed fees

dP3OTrieUa0_OndoRZ-NDkjEQMpRat6wy1vYjI07fc223QP-muZIMa_0CStf1jK4qCjifT9tzUxE6HuLTtd-j5TNGK4iMJbYIiYEdwPi45E3yXzRT4yvKWwKqWLA0lGFmbvgrydXL0_eEb47P6g81Sw

yKy6qB96BJcxSTZhmjJYbwQnDTzj1J5jPSBGMWSvDE4LepsF1npheXQSevL0XtVrGR8Nm8lGgbg545_dPRariWdhSMMtnQ4Z96TzH3Fo9r2-a2tMu59FrY8DJO6GN7TwMGKfoIEvxk7sc7AyDZJhbH4

We methodically checked the boxes per our offseason plan above. The €80m spent sounds like a lot, but then again it is spread across 9 incoming transfers, the highest of which has a committed fee of €13.5m. 

In defense: 

Valentin Gomez - a left footed center back, who is comfortable on the ball and has quite a bit of development ahead of him. Should compete with Bosseli for a starting spot next to Cenk Ozkacar. 

Sebastian Boselli - a right footed versatile defender who can play on the right, or in center back.

Alejandro Frances - Another versatile center back / right back.  Less comfortable on the ball than Boselli, but has great anticipation (#ClubDNA). 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.259ba1ef97db6bb0c65ac19dd93ceab5.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.96250894cf4a29814080dcded884eab3.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.de11dfa0c01c9b69ae653789e87e8fe5.png

Upfront: 

Gianluca Prestianni - yet another argentine. Looks like a crafty winger who likes to torment full-backs (A Luis Diaz type perhaps?). 

Tobias Gulliksen - another agile young winger with great dribbling, also a hard worker who checks the box on our DNA aspirations (decisions, anticipation). 

Norman Bassette - A backup for Hugo Duro who may one day lead the line, with excellent agility, decisions and anticipations. Also a brilliant dribbler. I do wish he was braver and more composed.  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.311ddd576589f8c7fbe3bed81441a8db.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.18cb3ea2c9462d1c3d27438a9b2661ea.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fe97d5e49004a09559c04fd93ed5e3a5.png

And finally, midfield reinforcements: 

Eric Martel - a German half-back, anchorman type. Was brought over as a direct replacement for Hugo Guillamon. Should start over Pepelu. 

Jacopo Fazzini - when you’re after a Mezzala, there’s no better place to go than Italy. Jacopo is the quintessential Italian forward thinking CM. Should back-up Marcel Ruiz for now. He’ll get plenty of game time. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.55660163ec1e80fd8e00173740b3550d.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8f036fe9b800c494bcf9344972ad8ec3.png

A lot of new faces, which will need time to gel together. The amount of turnover is not something I want or expect in future seasons, but the opportunities were there to upgrade the squad in so many positions, and of course we’re making the jump at playing in Europe in season 2, so we really needed the depth. 

We’re a higher quality side this season, but also noticeably younger and less experienced. 

How we lined up for the season:

We’ve evolved to a 4-3-3 primarily so that the backline has more cover when Barco is getting upfield on the left. 

XUwDV6MuMwfX9cbumlNQzK364opZP9e90Gxt0LIar0EIWUC6WMm22yjYSQTjsizgITay52ZIPpgDi-4xVSyqZ3ciLig4y--2QWyjLNrJKGlVtddTONtQgEPmH9UYs6DfCfag8emuhuDPUzMyXB0dFhE

The style of play is an evolution of our progressive approach. Despite the TIs to “high press” and “high defensive line”, this tactic plays a lot like a mid-block. Teams that play patiently are able to string quite a few passes before encountering our pressing attackers. I think it’s largely due to our shape which is not particularly frontline heavy. 

Positive is the baseline mentality, but we do sometimes go “attacking” or “balanced” depending on whether we want to build-up the play patiently or more aggressively. I’d also “work the ball into the box” on occasion when we appear wasteful in possession. 

In terms of player roles, as I mentioned above in the transfer section, we brought in a number of players who can play an inverted role in the right back position. Consequently, on top of our basic shape, we’ll sometimes play with Gomez (or whoever is the right CB) as a Libero and an IFB (e.g., Mosquera or Boselli) in DR, and sometimes with an inverted wingback on the right with Martel shifting to a half-back for defensive solidity. 

Coming up… we’re headed to Season 2. We’ve got our hands full now. The media has us finishing 7th (or really tied for 5th if you look at the odds), and I’d have us there as well. More to come ….

fJCiv3v1YZc38IetnY6kNQ7wxhIWaGXO1BG75ZaQN6pBjJTv9G5fQl6VOcNIy45hZHw7VfJlN7TA6blNXl00pKVMgRz35rqvrREzXlFV_uCLKyJ93f5zknXV8Ps0wvETvX82QUvm4goVhviKojqtarc

Edited by Alejandro_FM

Valencia CF: Season 2 (2024/25)  Review

You gotta hand it to the match team at SI. The thrill of the FM24 match is unparalleled. The resemblance to real-life football is so uniquely present. The high and lows, the mental errors, the impact of tactical adjustments in real-time, the individual brilliance of star players. It’s all there. I love the match. Some of the rest of the gameplay is quite tedious but wow, the match is incredible.

Goal!

This is one of my favorite goals from the season, despite the fact that we don’t typically play from the back. I love that upon making that tactical change during a match, the effect on the proceedings on the pitch was so clear. 

Alright, last time around, we were kicking off season 2 at Valencia. We were competing both domestically and on the continent for the first time (in this save). So how did we fare? 

The story of the season

It started off on the wrong foot - only 5 points in the first 5 games. Then, a few tactical tweaks saw us recover and gradually climb up the table, and a good run of results coming into the new year had us 3rd in the table at the half-way point of the season. Gianluca Prestianni was a real breakthrough star in this first half, alongside a solid start from Hugo Duro, our top goalscorer from a year ago, and the club captain (since the departure of Jose Gaya). 

P38B5MzDlhHSslaV5bcmtOQtKNp99Xj0Nd9KsK_WBqWe5KkZHivxGlEdvbBydBjC1iD78MUDRExmclbDTa9C070ZNuu3Y1tNirDronRaEOqF5U7MX7fKmdPy-nCuVHHv1o4RbhVNEVLujDcjfbDJ1eg 

Then, we had a bit of a shakeup in the January window with 3 outgoing transfers and 4 incoming. 

OUTGOING - €59.5m in guaranteed fees

UmFj7oCHAntHQXqqCZqJxCk_Zny26bvFxCzh0QQlq571tpQCdzyBztk-BVbw2RaKKLV-mWjwb9BGQ_N12ALC8GwsRhLy0ZyBnekbEK_wod3pdq0OPYIxK6zPzN5HdqnvwtZAfcXR87YptTlpJsfiyc8

First, Thierry Rendall Corriea (TRC) has been unhappy throughout the first half of the season - over a team talk given in a friendly match. Shockingly, I didn’t even run the friendly (i.e. used “instant result”), but apparently something was said there that made him sulk for 4 months. So, he had to go, and fortunately, the Saudis were there with a lovely pile of cash. 

Then, Jaume Domenech, the veteran backup goalkeeper, wanted a new challenge and we happily obliged. 

Finally, Barca came in and activated Cenk Ozkacar’s release clause. He rose from backup to starter this year, and a few strong performances were enough to get the big clubs interested. I then noticed that his release clause was only €23.5m and tried to renew his contract, but it was too late. He was not inclined “given the interest in him”. So he was off to Barca.

INCOMING - €47.75m in committed fees

NAsbIBjlRePX7rrkglRh2tV6qf3mZlvY_l7kiDqv6hbEKZRXbTVc_CgXB-pyGa7EBswJZyGVvxh81Nfjci7z_JPHOqX3IGm7eqUcjukXvlFIjO_MXJsH4PSNhhraJt9Z1NjVftlbJqX4FU-14qw1Vbk

We used the cash from both sales to bring on 3 additional guys: 

Nicolas Valentini - a direct replacement for Ozkacar. A left-footed center back who is excellent physically, and highly suitable for a high line. 

Nordi Mukiele - came in for TRC, but less of a wing-back and more of a right sided center back, which suits how we started leveraging the position. 

Guillaume Restes - a prospect goalkeeper with lots of potential. 

Pablo Barrios - finally, more of a luxury buy. A young playmaker from Atleti whom they were willing to let go. He’ll back-up Guerra for the time being, but can grow into a like-for-like replacement, should our homegrown boy decides to bail. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.28bc0e72c8379130ecf6c238c30d8d56.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.af3ce4f9936ba203394acd2f022b328b.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3f0841425241593e824c7cffe41a0c23.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f3d0e030b2aca5709c694b394301eb1b.png

Overall, I felt that the squad was strengthened. Nevertheless, our form during the rest of the season was inconsistent. A strong January, followed by a weak February, followed by a terrific March followed by an atrocious April, and a frustrating May. Even through our runs of bad form, our performance remained steady, meaning we were controlling matches and creating chances, just not converting. 

90zaWCjNrn7vlfkRabZOY5vqd6YC7VphzKoTMDMw6avhhGCDXbhzBp5-8ppVvDIv13DnLZkBLPkhcYZDUpyKMl7swN2m_R9tMX9KQbqoq5g4GkMo_vnBDmAkIcz7fwoLlXP8sxUURdyCtkS5FyaCsEQ

What seemed at times like a season in which we’ll truly compete for the top 4 ended with us finishing 6th, 5 points behind 4th place Atleti, and 15 points behind 3rd place Villareal. 

x3uoLl6GOXUNEmuUHGRjLubEx-bVLv_qKuOI2E838KGM0dn1GdTyF6z4HZ3-Q3Se3AAvJXrx3-2it7sAAFnbTZ9mEFh5E-Y2-CUFem2gl6b6kyZZ_9xpbV05e9zDO-T0mZJKwJTWgEdToeg0TwL-VH8

We did well in the other competitions - 

In the Europa League, we reached the quarter final, after finishing 5th or 6th in the league phase and beating Slavia Prague in the round of 16. Getting knocked out by Braga (4-3 on aggregate) in the quarter final was disappointing, naturally. 

In the Copa Del Rey - we overachieved by reaching the final, only to get handled decisively by Barca and finish as runners up. 

I ended the season feeling a bit deflated about the last 2 months of results, and so I spent quite a bit of time trying to understand what happened. Not sure I completely get it yet, but some of the insights are below. 

Insights from the team’s performance:

According to the xG table, we were expected to finish 3rd (as in 2023/24). Looking more closely, we didn’t underperform our metrics, it’s just that everyone above us overperformed, e.g, Villareal did by 24pts! 

i1CEf0uZcTbflk4ZmCfQ3EGeP1eOcMz906lrXUwLNgrntfnIbxwQUiZhPAbHXMt4ZLfeBj62XDqZYhGHGdO-8jDeEIYf4Zf7AhCRDpmeOnbUiW0x8F0x0NfiTMIC4cnGtM--Ce4EN7kujCpvzylGCCQ

In attack, we’re still a very positive team. We had the 2nd highest non-penalty xG in La Liga (1.75/90min) and 2nd highest chances created, behind Real but ahead of Barca. We also spent a lot of time in the opponents’ half, passing 111 times/game in the final 3rd. 

Two areas I’ve found for potential improvements are: 

1. Our wingers are quite loose in possession. Yes, it’s correlated to them being asked to dribble and create, but looks like they can improve a bit (Roony especially). They also seem a bit isolated at times in matches. 

2. Our midfielders account for many of our shots, but they’re not all quality shots (as shown in xG/shot chart). 

So we’ll try to address these things in our tactical setup. Minor adjustments most likely. A couple of ideas are to have one (or both) wingers on support duty, and to (sometimes) reduce tempo from slightly higher to standard, especially when we’re trying to control a game. 

In defense, the metrics support an observation I made in a prior post that our system plays a lot more like a compact mid-block than a high press system, despite TIs that call for high press. We’re only 14th in La Liga in OPPDA with 5.47. Our setup is not ineffective though. We’re 4th in the league in Final 3rd Passes Against / Game - meaning we don’t allow teams to play around in our half of the pitch. 

Our xGA was 4th in La Liga, at 37.77 (0.99/game). That's not terrible, but I’d like to concede less. A couple of areas I’ve found for potential improvements: 

1. We often get undone by momentary lack of structure or loss of concentration in the backline. For example - Atleti’s goal (what is going on in this sequence?!).  

2. We tend to get hit on the counter by teams who are willing to concede possession. The below image is a typical outcome -- all the momentum is with us, the xG advantage, but we're not getting the win. 

image.png.1378ec36ae2f0810f9dd7eb47439abe1.png

The adjustments I intend to make to address these things include adding a couple of individual instructions to press less in the back line (especially full backs), removing the “counter press” instruction at times, particularly when facing quick, direct counter attacking teams. 

It could also, quite possibly, be that tactical adjustments aren’t going to do the trick, and really to get to the next level we simply need better players, or better morale/momentum, or something else. We shall see. 

The tactic we leveraged most of the season (Though mentality was typically positive and no "work ball into box")   e2wdhaC9Eb7kXQcYe9SDlJz4pa8ZiANJRgiCfZICRZxm-R7ZiBeVFUSs9GE_m2XTCAZgh5YbF46EUu6I1F7mkPCG7yA4mIwtDPMuf97CygfkD18zGD5tEV3Cmyogn4TD6355rMoDKO3W9HxYWsmY6U4

Notable players performances: 

Attack MVP: Gianluca Prestianni, who had 14 goals and 13 assists in all competitions, established himself as the starter in the left wing. The most consistent threat we’ve posed to opponent defenses. 

Defense MVP: Valentin Gomez, who played a mix of traditional central defender and more progressive roles, had a mistake free season, and even contributed 6 assists. I consider him our best center back at the moment. 

Honorary mention: Hugo Duro, who had 29 goals in all competitions. His 24 league goals were 2nd behind only the amazing 36 years old Lewandowski at Barca. He’s our club captain, he moves so well with the ball and finishes in a clinical manner. 

I feel that our squad is strong, and even without future reinforcements, should continue to get stronger. Most of our players are young and with plenty of development runway. And as appropriate, we have an Argentinian contingency leading the way.

jozaPX-pjaAYyY1oKj-9PdBWfeAl7NhyNi3ecIyrZ3zbghMfOAYR7UJ29raVsB_o4cTDUTzQXumlweuchHaKNEbuiuG908Qhbp9Dd7eqCQhHgwDZ6kWx0gTHpRuhg4dViAm0dRwFYNX_7z9NkoeDhYQ

Here’s our first team squad depth at the end of season 2 in May 2025 (my typical sub nomenclature is - S1-GK, S2-DR, S3-DL, S4/5 -CBs, S6-DM, S7/11-Wingers, S8,10 - CM/AM, S9- Striker, S12+ - 3rd tier or youngsters).

The future is bright at Valencia. 

Three of our guys - Prestianni, Roony, and Benito - are among the top 5 most lauded U19 players on the planet. Wow. 

As a reminder, Benito was the prize of last season’s golden intake which included a total of 9 players assessed at 4 or 5 star potential. I still believe he could become the next great Valencia playmaker. He has shown quite a bit of growth in his first season at the club, including a handful of cameo appearances. 

z8UC_jB0VVIPDk3Y6aDETyQzjNCMdQX2J8l9AdC7t6u8j8uTELXVE6V-n43I0W90DZ8hiBA2wczqEn2djN6eGQYMZzds4VLfpob6vO3pKc-BR1twkGsMAvIfZi59Zvs-ozXndwQwnArzzCFCw8d8dG4

So, surely, we aren’t going to get lucky again, right? Right? … But we did.  

p5WmZQLvHq3qgdbREyMF--11IFc266w-gKDyd7L0AMg1cpjxcff_1EoCDtNVkUDuMvZZQK6iyslzaAibDikqGgG4EpJHJ8q9Zh_AnG25JJ_8yTC9uLhaH0tZx5RXYmznZO8WUMlsgPJP4fVVlo0c3gs

Salvador Zagala - the most promising recruit of the 2025 intake is labeled as the next Fernando Torres! He’s immensely talented, at 15! 

As a side note - why Torres? Why not David Villa? He’s 1.77m (Villa is 1.75m, and Torres is 1.86m), and he’s playing for Valencia :) … Come on, media!

So, we’re quite excited about the future here. Let’s see how they all develop.

The State of Spanish Football

Now, before we wrap up this post, I wanted to talk about The state of Spanish football as a whole. I think promoting the league would be an important part of the long term narrative and interest in the save. 

So, for starters, the domestic competition is fierce and exciting. 

After Barcelona won it in 2023/24, Real took the title this year, with last year’s champions right on their heels. Both teams have strengthened their squads quite significantly in the two seasons. Real added 2 exciting young Brazilians in Endrick and Beraldo (a CB) among others, and Barca added Vitor Roque, and our former CB Ozkacar, for sensible fees. 

Atleti has been slightly behind, finishing 4th twice in the league, and reaching the QF of the UCL. They did add an excellent young CB from RB Salzburg - named Strahinja Pavlovic. 

Real Sociedad is an excellent possession based team, with a stout defense (1st in the league for two consecutive years). They’re our bogie team (we’ve lost to them twice this season and finished behind them in the league, again). 

Finally, this season’s surprise package was Villareal. They hired Hansi Flick in November 2023, and in his first full season in charge, they finished 3rd. They’ve kept their core of players and just look very strong. 

All in all - we’re facing a challenge with these 5 teams. My near term objective is to become the 3rd best team in Spain. We’re going to focus on beating Atleti, Sociedad and Villareal. This is something we’ve not done consistently this season. 

In contrast to the exciting domestic competition, Spanish teams seem to fall short in continental football. In 2024/25, none of the Spanish made it to a European semi-final (We made the QF of the Europa, Atelti and Real made the same stage of the Champions League and Bilbao made the QF of the Conference League). This is going to have to change. 

—------------------

That’s it for now. Lots to think through as we’re preparing for the offseason and season 3 at Valencia. I am very excited about our talent and hopeful for improvements on all fronts in the coming season.

Edited by Alejandro_FM

19 hours ago, Alejandro_FM said:

That’s it for now

An enjoyable read :thup:. Two good seasons, even if you haven't quite managed to reach the heights. Seems like a lot of player turnover, which  might be knocking you back a bit. But with finances what they are, I can understand the pressures (had similar with Benfica in FM23).

Hopefully, you can make a stride forward in season 3.

9 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Another solid season even if you felt a bit disappointed in the end. Nice evolution of your squad, looks to be well thought it.

Agree it's a shame your star prospect cannot be the next David Villa, but the next Fernando Torres wouldn't be a disaster.

Thank you. Yes, I feel good about the squad. The next Fernando Torres would be incredible, no doubt. 

2 hours ago, warlock said:

An enjoyable read :thup:. Two good seasons, even if you haven't quite managed to reach the heights. Seems like a lot of player turnover, which  might be knocking you back a bit. But with finances what they are, I can understand the pressures (had similar with Benfica in FM23).

Hopefully, you can make a stride forward in season 3.

Appreciate it, Warlock. It might be true regarding the high squad turnover. I am planning a lot less of it in the coming offseason. We've got a solid foundation with lots of room for natural development, given the age of the players, so should for sure take a step forward next season. 

Season 3 - Preseason / Summer 2025

Coming out of a solid 2nd season at Valencia, we entered a summer in which we emphasized stability. The amount of turnover in the squad over the last couple of transfer windows was necessary, but it also made it difficult to maintain cohesion and tactical discipline. It felt unrealistic to go through another summer of squad reshuffling, so I decided to mostly keep things as they are (mostly). 

LbKzEV-0JXG2aAyJdEyhGCNhxeP198d1WgqW4C6bxIEicB1dxaURzqyD2mnnM70nH2KXfv_-uR2kVsNA5yw8kCp-wfSwMaLwZTpVtu6zGr2rkioL6h_TR5LENb0knwTqZbXqvQYpqUhG-WHfdY0L2bA

We moved into Nuo Mestalla, our new stadium and the driver of the club’s historic debt levels at the dawn of the save. The transition was unremarkable, through a single news event. Capacity stayed the same as “old Mestalla”, at 55,000. 

Apparently, debt is no longer considered a hindrance (according the board). Frankly, there is just as much cash in the bank as there is debt at the club (~€100m), so that makes sense. It was a lot easier to overcome the financial difficulties than I had initially thought it would be (the damned Saudi money 😅). 

Throughout June, we had 6 players called up to Spain’s U21 squad for the EURO U21. The national team got knocked out in the QF so not much to write home about. The most notable thing to me was that 15 year-old Salvador Zagala (AKA the next Fernando Torres) was among the call ups. 

The transfer window was somewhat uneventful. This is partially by design, as mentioned above. I think our players are good enough to mount a proper top 4 challenge in La Liga. Can we be the best in Spain with this squad? Probably not, but the time will come for additional upgrades. 

We did have an unexpected loss at the backup left-back position, when Jesus Vasquez departed for Schalke 04. The fee was just too good to turn down for a player who is likely at the end of his development curve (per my staff). €18.5m in (up to €20.5m) and off he went. 

Instead of directly replacing him, we brought in Brian Navajas for €6.25m (not all upfront), a promising and versatile Argentinian youngster, in fact he’s dubbed “the next Nicolas Otamendi”. Slightly technically challenged, but the mentals are awfully good. He’ll mostly play half-back or left sided center back. This decision was coupled with one to play Nicolas Valentini more as a left back . He can do the job + I could not find replacements whom I was excited about for the backup left back role. When Valentini (or one of the other handful of left center backs who can play full back) come on the pitch for Valentin Barco, they’ll play an inverted role. More on that below. 

We also brought in Luka Romero, a gifted left footed inside forward to back up Roony Bardghji. We didn’t lack depth in the position but Tobias Gulliksen who often comes in for Roony is right footed, and is more effective on the left hand side. The fee was so low (relatively speaking) at €6m (up to €7.5m) that we just had to do it. Gulliksen is versatile, so he'll also see more playing time in center midfield. 

With Navajas and Romero coming in, the Argentinian invasion continued at Valencia. We now have a total of 6 first team players of Argentine descent. The two new guys have 2nd nationalities (Spanish and Italian, respectively) which is rather convenient. 

Otherwise, we intended to make a few moves for youngsters under-18 for the future, but we struggled to find the right deals. One signing eventually came in on deadline day - a 17 year-old Spaniard called Adama Camara. My scouts were not huge fans (he was a C-, and only 3.5 star potential), but I love his decisions, movement and passing ability, alongside a professional personality. He’ll be in the U19 for now. 

image.thumb.png.52920a4380f8280cba2c3f1a386fc5bd.png

image.thumb.png.1ed07cc707224e6f9ec4a6c1a7a49426.png

image.thumb.png.6bc6fe17269f380efc9ba5e9523b56aa.png

------------------

Perhaps our two biggest moves this summer were in deterring suitors who came after our top goalscorer and captain, Hugo Duro, and our shining left back wonderkid, Valentin Barco. Both of them signed new contracts with high release clauses (ICYDK - release clauses are mandated by the Spanish federation’s contract rules).  

We’re counting on Roony Bardghji (who also got a new contract this summer) to make a leap. He’s pegged by the media and staff as our best player. Let’s see him kick on. I’ve reduced his duty from attack to support, partially to get him more involved in the action, and partially so that he is more disciplined when he has the ball. I'd like to also see see Gianluca Prestianni - only 19 but our established starter at left-wing, and Javi Guerra, the local kid in center midfield, to take big strides forward this season.

Following up on our season 2 performance analysis, we’ve made a couple of adjustments to our base tactical setup, and also started training a 2nd version of it, in which the full-backs tuck in and are conservative, allowing the defensive midfielder to be more progressive. The 2nd version is more suitable to Pablo Barrios, a playmaker. When we play the base tactic, he’s typically on the bench, and either Pepelu or Eric Martel will start as a half-back. 

RGolA0RDAZOFOmGUAV2diiEVd9QjXnlAMS6k3vFa9j-l91NQb1kMKzvSsaE16rtlMVjOl8ei3gkfArsLJLRtg6oAQo7kLaB2tDjcNQP7B0psyLkRr8dn4jccMPoejIf8i9bZy3ggGMy0JkdfkV3tBkE

W2SFpJUZQwBWb-7vvXaCQ7VJZjBy59kT5ygjOHSlJedkS_upNzuOSeQgZiXm70UyCVIwTSNhibRs2rfZ9sqfbllRUYdxpXiZ6BbV6GmcKt5w3T5KxyNsu8e3LtR72pxvk3mHnbC6ehDzkxDT97u8d7Q

image.thumb.png.df5520b3bbe98a3af1ca047b84842f97.png

------------------

The media has us as the 6th best team in the league. I think that’s a fair assessment, but we’d like to push higher now that our squad is a bit deeper and a year more experienced. Hilariously, they have Zagala as our projected starter upfront. He’s an incredible talent, sure, but come on, he’s 15 and currently our 3rd best striker (behind Hugo Duro and Norman Bassette). 

Our wage bill has gone up to about €50m/year (around £830k/week). I think it’s at a realistic level given the club’s bank balance, but probably as high as we'd like to stretch it without competing in the Champions League. Mind you, this is still the 9th highest in La Liga, behind anyone who finished in the top 8 in the league last season and about ⅕ of Real’s wage budget who’s top of La Liga. 

Elsewhere in La Liga, Hansi Flick’s Villareal is projected to finish 4th, one spot below Atleti which now has Arne Slot in the hot seat, coming after lots of success at Feyenoord and Porto.  With Slot at the helm Atleti promises to be an attacking side. Simeone took over at Man United by the way. 

Our fixture list starts with a bang in August and September. This could either set us back or enable us to make a statement. In our first 8 La Liga matches we play 6 of the other top 8 teams of last season. The other two matches are a derby with Levante (did you know Levante was a Valencia based team?!), and Bilbao, which is always tough. Absolutely brutal start. 

Rvep57jV4eOocIv_izRlKG0lkFRXUYDmRtGlMN-A3srOTZHGRDy4PNkiOpurN_g-n1iboukxjGOtvbSnOFsU00U-6rGekjVuA2yV_Jsjt4FE2xhLDVSB5jfex7H9WQfkROlX1QnWFmziV3G8wq2np7o

------------------

That's it for the offseason. We're headed to Season 3 with lots of hope and anticipation. 

As my posts now fully caught up with gameplay, I may drop a few in season updates (in a different format) as time allows. 

VAMOS Los Ches! 

Instead of waiting to the end of the season to recap and reflect, I am going to try out a few in-season updates. At the end of the last post, I called out what was going to be a brutal start to the season. Those early fixtures definitely lived up to the hype. 

August + September, 2025

image.png.eb2a53d39b9916697b69b2468e6ea4ed.png

We wanted to make a statement. And on match day 1, we sure did... We beat Real Sociedad 3-0 away from homeKnowing that Sociedad play from the back and like to keep possession, I decided to lower the line of engagement and not "take the bait". It worked like magic. They did control the game in the first half but one counter attack that resulted in a free kick ended with a glorious goal from Valentin Barco. Gianluca Prestianni added a brace in the second half on two lethal quick progressions up the field. We ended the match with more xG, and more clear cut chances, but the scoreline flatters us a bit as Sociedad had plenty of chances to get one or two goals back. 

We then proceeded to draw 1:1 on two consecutive matches, at home with Atleti in a match we dominated only to succumb to a 96th minute equalizer from 34 years old Antoine Griezmann (match report screenshot below), and away to Sevilla in a match we deserved to lose, against a team that had 60%+ of the ball, more shots and chances than we did.

image.png.f6803955aeb22e85bdf0e5f9f35c7026.png

Our two losses came against Barcelona and Real, both away. Hard to complain as we were completely outplayed in both matches. Tactical maneuvering I tried didn't work out. 3 additional wins at home against Levante, Betis, and Athletic Club were more along the lines of what I'd expect us to be at home. Dominant the stat-sheet, creating chances and converting them. 

In between there was one Europa League match which we deservedly won vs AEK from Greece. By the way, we got a tough slate of fixtures coming up in Europe (screenshot below), especially away. We'd be proud to make the top 8 in the league phase. 

Screenshot2023-12-15145109.png.cc0f9c09ce9a03435b8616e5ff19309f.png

Marcel Ruiz our mezzala, who almost got sold to Wolfsburg on deadline day, has been on a tear in September, scoring 5 goals in the last 3 matches, including a hattrick against Athletic Club. Otherwise, Gianluca Prestianni has been our most creative and consistent thread, scoring 6 goals in 8 league matches and adding a handful of assists. On the other hand, Hugo Duro, the 2nd top scorer in the league last season, is still without a goal after 8 league matches. He has had a rough start to the season, and I'll have see if the problem is with service or touches or whether he has regressed as a finisher. 

image.png.115f3c7a15c8d7bacdcb73efab7a163f.png

Elsewhere in Spain - the "big 3" started the season strong, and they are top of the table after 8 matches. We are where you'd expect us to be, in 5th. Overall I am pleased with how we opened the season. We got through the difficult start to the schedule and hopefully things get a little easier later in the Fall. 

P.S. - Osasuna started very well, but their underlying metrics (xG, xGA) suggest they'll eventually regress. They happen to be our next opponent... Vamos Los Ches! 

On 13/12/2023 at 13:39, Jogo Bonito said:

Nice pre-season review and good to see you kept hold off both Duro and Barco.

I never got a new stadium when managing Valencia, although it's been in the pipeline for what seems like 100 years. Hopefully that will inspire your boys to even better levels of performance.

Good luck!

Thanks, and yes I do hope so re: the stadium ... oddly it didn't seem to improve capacity relative to "old Mestalla"... still nice to have it! 

Edited by Alejandro_FM

Season 3 - October through December, 2025 

The league campaign

Oct-DecResults.png.d352d23187f41d18bbb5239a9d173016.png

Z9UHtBMyu1dpusgUowVHFX8v4oJEQT-v5AoWr1YrxVrxPy0Dk0gtJwL707bbfVMWMfUTrlqEgKT0KImuSDW76N2BsU4fs3o1SNoZzuVY4g45M1WC2WEKQ14e40Z_h0bL0tm0f5RZfXBhdSvnyRShXpU

We’re at the half-way point of season 3, and our league form has been nothing short of spectacular. We won 11 in a row (including the last match of September) and in that run conceded only 2 goals. We find ourselves 2nd in the table, 7 points clear of Real Madrid in 3rd. Barca, by the way, is on pace to 102 points for the season and seems poised to wrap up the title by March. Can we keep this run going in the second half of the season? The metrics suggest that we probably won’t, having been a little lucky in defense. Nevertheless, we’re very close to where our performances suggest we should be.  

H1DefensiveEfficiency.png.3fc55065fdb578d678c518d196b52629.png

Our defensive metrics show a massive improvement. Our opponents have the lowest conversion rates on one of the lowest shots on goal number in the division. We're certainly more disciplined in defense, and perhaps the individual instructions we added to our back line (they all "close down less") made a difference. 

Our main man of the first half has been Marcel Ruiz, adding 9 assists to his 6 goals. He is a player at the peak of his game, and our 2nd highest earner at (€3.4m per year). I am not keen on paying him more given his limited growth potential, and unfortunately his release clause of €45m is highly doable for Europe’s top clubs. I won’t be surprised if he leaves in January (currently wanted by Dortmund). It’d be a nice bit of profit. 

Hugo Duro got back to scoring, adding 8 goals in the last 10 matches (after going scoreless in August and September). 3 of these were penalty goals, so it’s not like he’s firing on all cylinders, but still it’s nice to see him back on the scoresheet. 

Gianluca Prestianni got a new contract, which has him tied to Valencia till 2030. He was announced Europe’s Golden Boy on Dec 31, scoring 12 and assisting 14 in 42 matches in 2025. What a budding star this 19 year old is. 

GK Marco Carnesecchi deserves a shout as well. 10 conceded goals, 11 clean sheets in 18 league matches and the team’s highest avg rating overall with 7.28. His save percentage was 89% in the first half - by far the highest among starting goalkeepers. Is he the reason we’ve overperformed expected goals against? 

While we were flying high in the league, The Madrid teams were somewhat inconsistent. I expect them to surge in the second half of the season, and Osasuna and Rayo Vallecano to shrink back to their normal sizes. 

The biggest disappointment of the first half has been Real Sociedad. They’re 12th in the table, sacked their manager Alguacil in early December and brought Thiago Motta (who led Bologna to 6th in Serie A) to replace him. Let’s see what they do going forward. Sociedad’s staunch defense and possession system was such a feature of our first two seasons in La Liga. We need strong competitors to the big 3. 

The Europa League

EuropaFixturesthroughDec.png.092c5ef56aedff2e1e54950422e15281.png

Our European campaign has been less glamorous so far. A frustrating loss in Monaco was followed by inexcusable back to back draws with Braga and Basel. We then recovered with back to back 5-0 wins over Panathinaikos and Bratislava. At the turn of the year we find ourselves 8th in the league phase table, but a difficult away match at Bayer Leverkusen (who are right behind us in 9th) awaits, before we finish the phase at home with Galatasaray. We really need a top 8 finish to avoid the extra two fixtures in the round of 24. 

It is worth mentioning that I often field a fully rotated team in Europe. I prioritize the league in the first few seasons, knowing that something has to give. Our lack of consistency therefore illustrated that our 2nd 11 is still not quite where it needs to be to compete on both fronts. 

The academy received praise…

_-MX8fuQ0RrRLKc-thSzN5rKcoX_UpEruqnZwCL4LFZ6YdfQD-uDfdkyiP9h9DqduQJu_wE53nkNPRPqWxDmS-ZE1hAl5hgxiwz2ZudNpsq22vdNM3qoFBPZQSqI09SqNVVTmQXPy3j9wwbuLt_-X2c

We’ll do a proper review of our academy come the end of the season, but in the meantime we received news that our youth program is rated 10th in the world (City, Barcelona, and Chelsea were the top 3). Excellent place to be, but by the time we’re finished here, I’d like to see us in the top 3. Is that achievable? 

The manager received recognition… 
6qwaWjHSEfhxN8jJZEdTXXbvoVfOGoT4cClRxqjPMUMSUUh7X_-gwYP4NAOraTHxu-JXWxW6A8_16OR_CAEcAugqeBORa-P4tzPFTlEwWAH1R_aylMFCP2CdiWH6NfQvww2YifC-SEr1ORd_BnEvxGs    

f5_mssvhXV-uU94lvgIPTEST-eDlER-eUXE0DruJ8CPIeiGOUfvKqVT7KL9-CsnuNDy7GLAATVxrSGWPh3JokOlNEIUYz7nnBCpi0Y7DnKaoRrlJJHZpIIfXeSz7qNdz8IIW6NRF2iiTDEaM0rQZWGo

Finally … My managerial success this season caught the eye of some big clubs, as Juve and Man United each came knocking on my door at different times this fall. Both giants have struggled in their league campaigns (being 14th and 11th in their respective tables).  I said “No, thank you!”. We’re here in Valencia to elevate the club and we’ll see it through. I might look to take on a new challenge in a few seasons, but certainly not yet. 

That’s all for now. Lets see if we can avoid a slump in the 2nd half of the season, something we were unable to do in the previous two campaigns. 

Edited by Alejandro_FM

• 1 month later...

I took a 5-week break from the game. Just real life getting in the way. Now I am back in the save, chugging along the second half of season 3 at Valencia. 

January-March 2026

We’ve gone through 3 months in 2026 and the team continues to fly high in La Liga. We’ve also made it to the semi-final of the Copa Del Rey (eventually falling to the best team in Spain, Barcelona), and to the QF of the Europa League - still ongoing, where we’ll face OGC Nice in upcoming fixtures in April. 

Notable highlights: 

The vultures are circling around our defensive midfield. We rejected multiple bids (Liverpool and Bayern) for Eric Martel, our starter. He may have to go in the summer. Pepelu, our backup, left for Brighton in the EPL for €14.5m (up to €17.75m). 

League results have been excellent overall with 8 wins (7 clean sheets), 2 draws and 1 loss since January. That loss to Celta Vigo was a fluke, coming at the 90th minute to their only shot on target in a match we absolutely dominated. We gave Real Madrid a 5-0 thumping at home. Still to come, a late April encounter with Barcelona at home, with the title potentially on the line. Seems unlikely given Barca's incredible form.  Nevertheless, we’re all in on the league this season and a top 2 finish seems to be in the cards. 

In Europe we have OGC Nice in the quarter final. We’ll try to continue to advance, but I am maintaining a low expectation given the strength of some of the remaining opponents, including Manchester United, Inter Milan, and Juve. 

Our cup run ended in the semi-final at the hands of Barcelona, as mentioned above. A couple of injuries to key players (Valentin Barco, Hugo Duro, Gianluca Prestianni) hurt our chances. But frankly, I completely rotated the team for both legs of the semis. Didn’t go for the cup this year, perhaps a mistake. 

The annual youth intake arrived with a less glamorous group this time around. We are attempting to sign 6 of them. The most intriguing prospects seem to be a central midfielder named Jose Segrelles and an Italian center back named Nicolo Masullo

Let’s see how we crack on with the rest of the season… Vamos Los Ches!

IDodHtFVPS-hzrEYMiMPPtpobRqNkcPbeB2LTxhK_JYHI7F98DALfiH62mMilKPP77iWItAjOvZMyzDQAf4WJuXDCYJ8i9sj1uw__nhQuJTV6wkYrAg5cT0mnWguqPsNxrBsu6DZWjy5LuoO3-nixRs

9gF2QFiQNEY8ZKbObM8clpBSlrWl4TAL3uNggGRw4Ww3lRvVjrevUW9pqteSzBElMzs5w0lbjr2JkqauobzWH7O8qXTIO0doUcSfspUJxcq6yKkzldab7GzVJ8wWmhMXjBahB5UmQ9YC7_ArU6KsTxw

Screenshot 2024-02-05 115648.png

April-May 2026 - Season 3 at Valencia CF

La Liga: 

A terrific final stretch saw us really testing Barca for the title. We started April 7 points behind leaders Barcelona. 3 draws out of following 5 games made it feel that the league title was a done deal (for our rivals). At some point Barca even increased their lead at the top of the table to 12 points. However, we finished strong, with 4 consecutive wins to end the season, including a 3-1 win against Barca at home (which gave us the seasonal head-to-head advantage), and made sure they really had to earn their title, winning on match day 38 on the road against already relegated Levante. 

We finished 2nd, 20 pts ahead of Real Madrid in 3rd and the surprise package Osasuna in 4th. I am proud of our 91 point campaign. The highest in club history. And only 3 losses throughout the year. We’re certainly ahead of schedule in the league and the board already declared victory on their “best of the rest” objective, targeted for 2027/2028. 

image.png.3e3733f4e6d3062d9927b98995de4773.png

image.png.0878244a47e3f27e8e95236bff513045.png

Europa League: 

Last time around, we beat Leverkusen in the round of 16 and were headed to The French Riviera to face OGC Nice (5th in Ligue 1 this season). They were instantly not a match for us and we beat them comfortably 3-0 at the away leg. We made it a bit harder for ourselves at home but our aggregate win was never in doubt. To be fair, I let 4 academy players start on the day as our league fixtures were coming thick and fast in April. 

In the semis, we got Man United. A side I feared for their superior talent. However, just as in real-life, this is also a side that is underperforming their wage bill. They finished 2025/2026 7th in the EPL. Already sacked 2 managers since the start of the save (ETH and Simeone). So we played them well. Deserved more than the 2-4 loss in Old Trafford, and absolutely trounced them at home to advance to the final. Roony Bardghji was immense across the two legs, torturing United with 3 goals. 

On May 20th, inconveniently scheduled midweek right between two La Liga matches (with title implications!), we played another former great side - Juventus - in the Europa League final. They’re playing quite well IRL, and they won the scudetto in season 1 of this save, but in this season, season 3, they’re a mid-table side in Italy, playing boring, cautious football (coached by Conte, who else?!). Juve was no match to our boys. We held them to 1 shot over the 90 min, which was not on target by the way, an xG value of 0.07, against our 18 shots and 2.50 xG. The score line sells short our domination and the trophy justifiably became ours. 

Europa League champions!

image.png.664b965786fedfab4f02260bcab1441e.png

image.png.71ff6c0ac3c6d5fd5ce4cf4ac36d3654.png

Team performance: 

According to the xG table, we were good but not THIS good. Overachieved expected points by 12 (Real really underachieved as they finished 20 points behind us). Nevertheless, our defensive effectiveness improved significantly (xGA was ~31 goals relative to 38 last year). And in attack xG rose from 69.5 last season to 78.2. So, we improved on both ends and were more than deserving a top 3 finish. 

image.png.0a446a589dbe0810fd090e4c90255cb9.png

I am definitely content with our tactical adjustments. We were able to hold on to our setup for the majority of the year, and certainly the entirety of the second half of the season. This is how we played for the majority of the matches, including the UEL final and the home thrashings of Barcelona and Real.  

image.png.bf8f64a3cd07f538ccdd2d0c466c403a.png

A couple of keys to this structured, positive pass and move system: 
The fairly narrow shape and the lateral movement of the midfield players due to their roles and duties, mean that players are close enough to each other to have plenty of passing options, both laterally and going forward. 
There’s box penetration from both flanks, giving variety and unpredictability to the final pass. 
The three players in the defensive strata who take very few risks make us solid at the back. 

I am not sure it’ll work with any side, but this system suits our team’s strengths and weaknesses quite well. 

Player performances: 

This was a very balanced performance by the squad this season, with a whole set of guys contributing significantly to the success on the pitch. Gianluca Prestianni, who was arguably our best player in season 2, was somewhat hampered by injuries and into the void stepped not one but the entire front line. 

Hugo Duro (23 goals in all competitions) and Norman Bassette (21 goals) have been reliable finishers. 

Roony Bardghji (11 goals, 11 assists), Tobias Gulliksen (12 goals, 12 assists), and the aforementioned Prestianni (13 goals, 8 assists) had solid seasons from the wings. 

Marcel Ruiz (14 assists) and Javi Guerra (11 assists) were creative out of midfield. The latter was the 3rd highest rated (7.31 avg) in La Liga this season. 

Marco Carnesecchi was immense in goal, conceding only 22 league goals and achieving 21 clean sheets. He didn't win GK of the year in Spain because Ter Stegen and Barcelona conceded only 20 league goals and kept 22(!) clean sheets - and of course they won the title. 

Lots of solid contributions.

image.png.a58bd3b7eea9aa62f0a735d6b3498aab.png

Again, a very balanced team which key players across the pitch. If I had to pick a top 3 - as of the end of this season, I'd say our best players are: 

1. Roony Bardghji at right wing 

2. Marcel Ruiz in central midfield 

3. Carnesecchi in goal. 

image.png.5641339bc5f0c08a202837c63edfaa57.png

image.png.1938d087297287e594ffd5bfb3369500.png

image.png.3dc478175ccbe3b7968decf1af1fc519.png

Additional thoughts: 

As I tend to do at the end of seasons, taking a bit of time to reflect. Asking myself questions, in no particular order: 

• Is this save progressing the way I envisioned it to?  -- it is. We're making progress, somewhat believable progress too. 
  • Is it still enjoyable? -- it is. But I am drained by some of the nonsense in the game. 
  • What’s left to accomplish?  --- a lot .. competition wins, player development, club financial health 
  • Am I excited about what’s left to accomplish? 

I have to admit, the grind of full fat FM is quite something. I love the in-season flow, including tactical adjustments, managing form and fitness. I love transfer windows and making squad decisions. However, the year-round scouting, the year-round interactions with the squad and media, and managing 50 odd contracts are just draining me. I know I can delegate, but I struggle to trust, having witnessed over and over again even staff with excellent attributes make terrible decisions. 

If there’s one thing I’d get rid off in today’s game, without thinking twice, it is interactions. They are just so superficial, so lacking in nuance. I understand that it’s very difficult to simulate real conversations, and to take into account personality, morale, and most importantly the relationships between parties. If interactions were perfectly implemented, they would add to realism and immersion, but how do you even implement them perfectly?! I’d rather they just took them off the game altogether. 

In any case, I am trying to muster the energy to carry on, because there are some things I absolutely love about this save. The youth prospects already in the team, the competitive challenges that still remain (win the title, win the UCL). These are exciting… a little break may do the trick… I am thinking about it...  

On 09/02/2024 at 18:39, Alejandro_FM said:
  • Is this save progressing the way I envisioned it to?  -- it is. We're making progress, somewhat believable progress too. 
  • Is it still enjoyable? -- it is. But I am drained by some of the nonsense in the game. 

I have to admit, the grind of full fat FM is quite something. I love the in-season flow, including tactical adjustments, managing form and fitness. I love transfer windows and making squad decisions. However, the year-round scouting, the year-round interactions with the squad and media, and managing 50 odd contracts are just draining me. I know I can delegate, but I struggle to trust, having witnessed over and over again even staff with excellent attributes make terrible decisions. 

If there’s one thing I’d get rid off in today’s game, without thinking twice, it is interactions. They are just so superficial, so lacking in nuance. I understand that it’s very difficult to simulate real conversations, and to take into account personality, morale, and most importantly the relationships between parties. If interactions were perfectly implemented, they would add to realism and immersion, but how do you even implement them perfectly?! I’d rather they just took them off the game altogether. 

In any case, I am trying to muster the energy to carry on, because there are some things I absolutely love about this save. The youth prospects already in the team, the competitive challenges that still remain (win the title, win the UCL). These are exciting… a little break may do the trick… I am thinking about it...  

I have a very similar view on the comments in bold. Particularly the interactions. With each version, the game does probably get 'more realistic' and there are obvious improvements. Plus the match engine and graphics are great in FM24. On the flip side, each virtual season takes longer year-on-year, and the 'childlike' tantrums, reactions, interactions and complaining make it more of a grind than the pleasure many of us would like to see.

You're doing well at Valencia and the future is bright, with some positive targets within your reach. Hopefully if you do take a break, you'll feel refreshed and come back to this one. But sometimes the break makes it hard to re-visit the save too, as I have just encountered myself with Servette in Switzerland.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

12 hours ago, rich ruzzian said:

Could next year be your year? Lets hope so

On 10/02/2024 at 02:59, AlfieLucas said:

Doing really well at Valencia thus far, let's hope you win La Liga now.

Thank you both! We're definitely on solid grounds now. With another year of clinical finishing and barring any major injury we should put on a good challenge for the title. I am just trying to decide whether to continue... to be determined... 

9 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I have a very similar view on the comments in bold. Particularly the interactions. With each version, the game does probably get 'more realistic' and there are obvious improvements. Plus the match engine and graphics are great in FM24. On the flip side, each virtual season takes longer year-on-year, and the 'childlike' tantrums, reactions, interactions and complaining make it more of a grind than the pleasure many of us would like to see.

You're doing well at Valencia and the future is bright, with some positive targets within your reach. Hopefully if you do take a break, you'll feel refreshed and come back to this one. But sometimes the break makes it hard to re-visit the save too, as I have just encountered myself with Servette in Switzerland.

Good to know I'm not alone in feeling this way. That each virtual season takes longer year-on-year is a real pain. I used to LOVE long term saves. 

And yeah I get what you're saying about the challenge of revisiting a save after a break. Hopefully you find something that sticks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2024 at 19:02, Blodyxe said:

Thanks to this thread I discovered this forum :)

Also managing Valencia and just finished the fifth season. Hope this continues!

Thank you @Blodyxe. I think it will continue. Just taking things slowly as things are busy IRL. 

How are you getting along with Valencia? 

14 hours ago, Alejandro_FM said:

Thank you @Blodyxe. I think it will continue. Just taking things slowly as things are busy IRL. 

How are you getting along with Valencia? 

Cleared them out of debt a few seasons ago, won La Liga in 2028 and Copa del Rey in 2026, also reached CL semis once. Lim is gone, now the new board wants me to spend the whole transfer budget, and it's pretty big... So I bought Fresneda and Hincapie just because of that :)

From the originals, Duro, Guillamon, Mamardashvili and Diego Lopez are very good, but Javi Guerra is a special player, now a captain. Best player of the save, closely followed by Estanis Pedrola bought from Sampdoria for 28M. Honorable mentions go to Pellistri and Van Hecke, both signed as free agents. Biggest sale so far is Jose Gaya to Al-Hilal for 107M in 3rd season.

Real Madrid are the hardest team to beat, but we're getting better at it. Regens are taking over, so I have switched my attention to a new save with 98/99 Liverpool side

• 2 weeks later...

Season 4 (2026/27)
It has been a month since I posted in this thread. After a short break I returned to the save for another season.

This season was a real rollercoaster ride, with frustrations and inconsistencies, and plenty of good moments as well. Big picture - we’re still on course. We didn’t take another step forward. We didn’t repeat our 2nd place finish or that club record 91 point total. But, we are where we deserve to be, given our playing squad relative to the rest of the league. 

Before we talk about Valencia, in the summer of 2026, the world cup took place, in North America... and this was the final... No idea how... Ben Doak with the world cup winner! 

image.png.573ef45dd1f8a633aa0073d5a8304a30.png

Before the season started - this came in: 
image.png.b9e93689bd8f5f6bc6c6ab9953d93e3c.png

Tempting, but no thank you! 

I think I’d like to end this save with a stint at Liverpool, but not quite yet. There’s still so much to accomplish at Valencia. Perhaps in 3-5 seasons. I said no and they ended up going with Luis Enrique. 

Squad plan for the season:  

After a stellar season 3, my intention going into the summer was to minimize change among the first team. Our core is still quite young and has a lot of runway, if I can keep them together. This may not be the best first 11 in Spain, but surely a solid squad to continue contending for the European spots. 

So, initially, we planned just 3 incoming transfers:

Manu Sanchez, a 25 years old left-back with plenty of La Liga experience with Celta Vigo, came to be a proper backup for Valentin Barco. We paid a bit much (~€20m) for a player who is not going to be a starter and already in his prime (in FM terms, that is). However, a good attacking full-back is hard to find, and this is a position we filled with an array of left-footed center backs last season. Manu should give us good depth for a couple of seasons before we move on to bigger and better things. 

Lazar Samardzic, a 24 years old center midfielder. I initially thought Marcel Ruiz, our starting Mezzala, was going to depart in January 2026. He didn’t. But I did search for a replacement and found Samardzic, a very similar player to Ruiz, who was coming out of contract and agreed to join us on a free for €2.2m/year in wages. He’s excellent technically and should just fit right in. Certainly an upgrade on Fazzini, who will see a reduced role this season. 

Mamadou Dosso, an 18 years old Ivorian striker. He looks like someone who has immense potential, and despite being blessed with future options upfront, I could not help myself when I saw he was there for the taking for such a low fee. He’ll be a 3rd or 4th option this season, but with this acceleration, and this movement, this guy will be our marksman one day. Perhaps a 2-striker formation in our future?!

On the outgoing, beyond the loans discussed above, the Saudis came again bearing gifts. They pawned €53m upfront (to to €58m) for Nordi Mukiele, a 28-years old backup center back. 

Then, on deadline day, RB Leipzig came and met Eric Martel’s release clause of €60m. In a panic to replace our starter at defensive midfield, I looked at some loan options and was pleased to see Warren Zaire-Emery from PSG available for an affordable loan. The option to buy was a ridiculous €121m which I was never going to trigger, but still, some excellent loan business. He was not going to get the playing time at PSG, a back-to-back UCL champion in this save, and for us, he was going to play a vital role. 

On deadline day, I also brought in another youngster, Joseph Kalu, from Nigerian side Sunshine Stars. He’s a future option at DM and spent 26/27 in the B-Team. 

Spoiler

Warren.thumb.png.1c510178d6e45175469a3e346132ad55.png

Spoiler

Manu.thumb.png.9e3efabf9447d4fc61553233d8f59a58.png

Spoiler

MamadouDosso.thumb.png.a3b49de5353edbfa06729e57e6679c51.png

Spoiler

Lazar.thumb.png.0626e0faaca8bd7839dc13720cf7db1d.png

Spoiler

Kalu.thumb.png.09845feb50002b38d6aa741d6610a6db.png

This was the first team depth chart to start the season:

Benito is an academy grad (class of 24'), who is already fully with the first team. Highlighted players are whom I consider our best players. Crimson highlights are the new additions.  

image.png.22516fdd74676246b46cb6cc6c51f832.png

My ability and potential assessments are based on staff reports:

• A+ = World Class
  • A = Leading La Liga
  • B+ Good La Liga
  • B = Decent La Liga (keep or loan)
  • C = La Liga 2 (loan out)
  • D = Primera Federacion / B-Team
  • E = Segunda Federacion / youth

I find this system useful when I need a single value to tell me whether a player is at the bar or not. The more As and A+s we have on the team, the more likely we are to beat Barca and Real and compete for the UCL.  I also use this type of scale when deciding on promotions of youth between the squads, sending them on loan and so on. 

I’ve been doing this for a while, with a slightly different visuals. The idea for this particular table format is from Shrewnaldo’s excellent thread about his Sporting Gijon journey (excellent one to follow, kudos to him). 

Our first team is solidly top 3-6 in terms of quality and depth. Yet, our wage bill is only 8-9th in the league, and our wages to turnover ratio is the very best in all of Spain, at 18%. 

image.png.2052519dd5d51300f0f365e812eae153.png

Tactical plan:

image.png.ee54fafb8af6e1652320db4b082848e5.pngimage.png.92906cc6ef936a35b6a36b860fca045c.png

We stuck with our 4-3-3 shape and high-octane attack which proved solid in season 3. The presence of Zaire-Emery in the defensive midfield made me tweak roles and duties just a bit for a 2nd version of the tactic, aiming to build from the back a bit more and free Javi Guerra to make deeper runs upfield. Prestianni on the left was told to stay wider in the 2nd version of our tactical setup. 

The results:

We started the season well both domestically and in the Champions League, but injuries and inconsistent form saw us dancing around 5-6th spots in the league and outside the top 8 in the European league phase through January. 

We played better in the second half of the season, enough to finish 4th in the league and bow out of the UCL at the Round of 16 (to Barcelona, an eventual finalist). 

image.png.25a3d23018ecc9ae351db55c3ace228e.png

(I’ve excluded the domestic cups from the screenshots so they’ll fit in one image. No big news there. Lost in the QF of the Copa Del Rey and SF of the Supercopa). 

Spoiler

image.png.29b53cfa86c49a7e7765e046267cb43f.png

Spoiler

image.png.edc4ee1b37a22712407d4c95dc70a82a.png

Spoiler

image.png.dfea458b0a8472796c2c2ed5318d6570.png

The underlying numbers suggest that this season was similar to last season, placing us as the 3rd best team in La Liga. However, last year we outperformed the metrics and finished 2nd in the table. Overall, I am not displeased. 

The one area for improvement tactically is on the defensive end. We were clearly a tier below league leaders Real and Barca in xGA. A deeper look suggests that we: 

• Are conceding a lot of through balls
  • The most prominent assist location is centrally just outside the area

image.png.ab893eed3334e50f3f38fd5366574b7e.pngimage.png.08a9cee200a2bfe6eba3be535e6d8c04.png

On one hand, through balls are the risk you take with a high press system, that’s okay. However, Barca and Real also press high. What do they have that we don’t? World class center-backs, possibly. That’s one thing we can aim to improve upon. 

The other element is the “drop off more” instruction. I have been using it for a couple of seasons now to cover for the lack of pace and acceleration in our back line. Perhaps it’s doing more harm than good because the space left in front of the defense allows time and freedom for opposition creators to make the final pass. So, I am going to try to remove that, perhaps even “step up more” and see if that helps. 

In terms of individual performances, this season was unspectacular… 

Roony Bardghji was our player of the season with a pedestrian 13 goals and 11 assists in 42 appearances in all comps (Got some international recognition too). 

Spoiler

image.png.7058ba7a04ab02ec1d285e41d2161661.png

Nicolas Valentini was our top defender and made La Liga’s team of the season (as a sub). 

Hugo Duro was our top goalscorer with 19 goals in 35 apps. Again, quite unremarkable. He did miss about 30% of the season with injuries. Mamadou Dosso, the Ivorian new addition, showed a lot of promise with 15 goals in 34 appearances (but only 17 starts). He’ll start more next season. Our 2nd best striker at the start of the season, Norman Bassette, was sold to Brighton for  €20m in January, which cleared the way for Dosso to see a lot more playing time. 

Zaire-Emery, our prized loanee, became our highest rated player over the course of the season, and had a solid year statistically as the single pivot in our 4-3-3. He assisted 8 times, and recorded a solid average rating. We’re not going to buy him for €121m, nor will we extend the loan. I’d like to find a more permanent solution in the DM spot. 

Our other top players, Gianluca Prestianni, Javi Guerra, and Valentin Barco, were all quite underwhelming. We need better returns from these guys going forward. 

image.png.6aeecc4c475e2250c1b7529d24837ca7.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3f5b9ddb65a1dc3c4a582f9951cbb8ac.png

Going forward: 

The board and fanbase are happy to continue establishing ourselves as a top 4 team, but I’d like to start challenging Barca and Real sooner rather than later. 

Still, despite the ambition to challenge for the title, we’ll continue to make only sensible transfers (<€30m in fees), and focus on player development. I’d like to procure a new center back, and obviously resolve our DM conundrum. Additionally, I’ll consider moving on from some of our established, but unglamorous options in midfield, rotation players such as Marcel Ruiz, Jacopo Fazzini and Andre Almeida

I plan to follow this post with a more thorough look at our academy and the pipeline of young talent coming through. 

Until then… Vamos Los Ches! 

2027 Offseason - The Academy

I initially started writing this reflection and listing our academy players after season 3. However, I never got around to finishing the post and the season that has passed changed some perspectives. 

Overall, the youth system is in terrific shape. Easily, one of the best I’ve had on FM. 4 seasons in is still early in the save, but I can already spot at least 5 prospects who will likely eventually become first team regulars. 

The list below is sorted by current ability (Not potential, and also not CA, just my personal judgment of their current levels, largely based on attributes, performance, and staff reports). Some of the lower ranked prospects could end up surpassing the top ranked guys given unknowns about their potential ceiling. 

Alright, so here are the top academy prospects at the moment: 

1. Salvador Rostoll (Class of 24’) - Forward 
When I created this list last year, he was #3. But a year out on loan at Nantes in Ligue 1 saw him grow tremendously. On a team that barely avoided relegation from the top flight, he played very well scoring 9 goals and assisting 4 times. Our staff thinks he still has a ton of runway to grow. This technically gifted forward could play in any position in our front 3. I’d like him to feature in the first team in season 5 (2027/28), but there’s a dilemma regarding his best role. Is he a deep-lying forward? a creative wing? Something else? 

Fun fact - when you go to “Find Similar Players”, the list returns with 6 names: Mbappe, Vinicius Junior, Mohamed Salah, Kvaratskhellia, Luis Alberto (Lazio), and Mattia Zaccagni (Milan). The filter is set to 15 or more in decisions, first touch, technique, passing, finishing, and determination. What a prospect! 

Spoiler

image.png.8657c800eaf2a0228f73c09d1ec00ee0.png

2. Benito (Class of 24’) - Center Midfielder, Playmaker 
Our midfield creator of the future. His technical ability and vision are already top notch. We’re working on decision making and movement. Expecting him to be the heir to Javi Guerra. Despite him not being elite just yet, we have intentionally not brought any new playmakers into the club to ensure he got plenty of playing time. Has been on the first team in the past two seasons, featuring sporadically in both seasons 3 and 4. But despite 30 appearances in this past season (only 8 starts), he has not grown quite as much as I had hoped, and has not been a clear 2nd choice in any position. I am considering sending him on loan in 2027/28. Still only 19. 

Spoiler

image.png.f66fc43fd0f85240263069b3b158be59.png

3. Salvador Zagala (25’) - Forward 
Initially dubbed the next Fernando Torres (He lost the label for some reason). He’s still very young (age 17) and raw, but what a talent. Could lead the line for us through the 2030’s if he lives up to his potential. I have kept him around the first team from the get go to receive mentorship from our captain Hugo Duro. Not concerned about playing time yet, but keeping an eye on his suboptimal personality. Featured for both the B-Team in the 3rd tier, and for the first team in La Liga (8 times, all as a substitute). Already has 3 La Liga goals to his name. May need to send him out on loan in 2027/28 as he’s turning 18 in October. 

Spoiler

image.png.c0cbab00181f6259920a0ee9db040368.png

4. Adama Camara (Acq. at age 16) - Center Midfielder 
Acquired from Elche 2.5 years ago as I loved his mentals. Spent one season with the U18s, and then this past season on loan in Estrela da Amadora in the first tier in Portugal. His performance on loan was not good. However, I am bit fed up with our midfield and am tempted to give him a shot. Either that or send him on one more loan, hopefully a more successful one. In any case - he’s an excellent prospect as a midfield runner. Should fit into the first team at some point, no doubt about that.     

Spoiler

image.png.73ff0dfc7a2dbdca409da4c1dd8835d2.png

5. David (24’) - Left Back
A bright left-back talent. Spent the first two full seasons with the U18s, leading them to youth cup glory. Then, this past season went on loan to Sporting Gijon the La Liga 2. This was a very successful loan, full of top performances and growth. I don’t think he’ll be a world beater, but hoping he could be a meaningful rotation option in 2 seasons or so. 

Spoiler

image.png.f3cb6258cd0b2096e50d59dfdc469fda.png

6. Borja (24’) - Center Back 
Another top talent hailing from the famous class of 24’. Spent 26/27 in the B-Team getting rotation minutes and continued to grow. He’s already at La Liga 2 level and I am thinking that he could go on loan to a better side (than our B-Team) before hopefully making himself valuable to the first team in a couple of seasons. 

Spoiler

image.png.c35f031e15bcfd3f2c1bb6696dd31c49.png

7. Enric Costa (Acq. at age 16) - Center Back / Central Midfielder
Another acquisition we made for the U18, from Mallorca this time. I just loved his versatility and the mentals at such a young age. Quite hard to pinpoint his best position, but I am leaning towards CB because he’ll be strong in the air, brave, and has great anticipation. Weakness in vision and work rate hold him back from midfield roles, in my opinion. He spent 6 months with U18 and will likely play 2027/28 mostly in the B-Team. Probably one of the 5 highest potential players on this list. 

Spoiler

image.png.9d53d1bf5eda3e9da10993385fe7e173.png

8. Juan Hernandez (24’) - Wide Forward 
Like David above, he spent 2 full seasons with the U18s. But his growth has been a little slower, and so instead of going out on loan, he spent 2026/27 plying his trade with the B-Team in the Primera Federacion. Scored 23 goals in 34 league games in the 3rd tier. Not quite as highly rated as some of our other attacking prospects, but I should still be a La Liga player one day (maybe not with Valencia). 

Spoiler

image.png.edd83a7e06869c9339ab6df3253eb092.png

9, Oier Ugarte (26’) - Wide Forward 
An elite attacking talent. Was the U18’s top scorer this year. May move up to the B-Team this year as our staff thinks he’s ready for the 3rd tier.  

Spoiler

image.png.a80612fe8cb4ac62ec3f341bbaa4d378.png

10. Nicolò Masullo (26’) - Center Back
According to our staff, he has the most potential of any prospects at the club at the moment. Still young, but like Ugarte above, he may get a chance with the B-Team this season. His elite athleticism could cover for weaknesses in positioning and anticipation. Those latter two attributes will have to improve if he’s to make it with the first team. 

Spoiler

image.png.e88e98c2bf11db590556918cab402e92.png

11. Roberto Jiménez (26’) - Right Back
I have been very impressed with his growth this past season in the U18. Could be a solution at right back in the future.

Spoiler

image.png.b1224ab1d2bc9ef324514b0e098e07ee.png

The 11 players I covered should be in the top flight within a few seasons, half of whom will hopefully play for Valencia. Incredibly, I didn’t even cover all the 4 and 5 stars at the club. Some of the younger guys from the class of 27’ in particular are raw, but could possibly climb up this list in a matter of 1-2 seasons. 

Some other interesting early insights are that the class of 26' has already surpassed the class of 25' with 3 players in the top 11 comparing to only one guy from 25' (Zagala at #3). To be fair, there are a couple of prospects from 25' who are probably on even terms with Ugarte, Masullo and Jimenez, but I didn't include them thinking that the 26' lads probably had better potential. We shall see. 

What would this list look like if I rated them on potential and not current ability? That's hard to answer. I think the top 5 by potential would be: 

1. Zagala 
  2. Rostoll
  3. Benito 
  4. Masullo
  5. Costa 

I could be convinced otherwise, though. It's so hard to say. I can see these 5 guys becoming world class given where they started and the elite levels on key attributes for their roles. But, I won't be shocked if all five never reach those heights. Should be a fun following their stories. 

This is it for now. I am very impressed with the quality of youth so far. Time will tell if we’re able to develop them well for the first team (or to sell for good money). 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate, bloody great thread,

can I ask how well the B team is working for you? The lack of ability to sign staff for a B team, no fixtures, has always put me off Spain

do you use your B team? And do you find your players develop well?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2024 at 09:24, jckstevens said:

Hi mate, bloody great thread,

can I ask how well the B team is working for you? The lack of ability to sign staff for a B team, no fixtures, has always put me off Spain

do you use your B team? And do you find your players develop well?

Hey @jckstevens -- sorry for missing your post... I am still undecided on the B-Team. I have been trying to create a path through there to the first team. The first couple of guys are just about to "graduate". So far, the guys who have gotten playing time developed very well.

Our B-Team was in a playable league from the get go, and they're now (season 5) in La Liga 2, so lots of fixtures at the right level for the youngsters. I was actually able to hire some staff for Mestalla, and made sure they're top notch, so the set up there is excellent. I hired the manager too and they've been playing the same tactics as the first team. The only thing really that I am not influencing is their team selection and rotations. 

Posted (edited)

Season 5 (2027/2028)

Another season is in the books. Still going with the save, albeit at a slow pace with life commitments “getting in the way”. 

Here are 6 storylines from from season 5 at Valencia: 

1. We’ve yet to win the league, despite putting together our best season to date

Another good showing from our young squad. We are not dominating, and I think I like it this way. The challenge is keeping my engagement with the save high. 

In La Liga, solid performances throughout the season, including some quality results against the league’s top teams, saw us break the club record point total with 92 points. But, Real has just been too good. They’ve now won back to back titles, and this year they did it emphatically with 98 points. Real is so bloody good, they won the Champions League this year as well, beating Man City, the EPL champions, in the final. We did manage to beat them 4-0 on match day 30, though. 

image.png.4d059aecffd2c7addd77777217f0e056.pngimage.png.f547016af4e38dda313c413355aedbbe.png

After a trophyless 26/27, we added a 2nd trophy to our cabinet in 27/28, the Copa Del Rey (Recall, we won the Europa League in season 3 - 25/26), beating Real Madrid in the QF and Atleti in the Final. Atleti, by the way, really fell off and finished the league in 10th, outside of the “European Places”.   

image.png.4d7cb9e520abb4fd0cee1a111c50f7e7.png

2. Valencia in 2028 is a rich and prosperous club

Looking back - our net transfer profit since 2023 comes close to ~€400m. It’s absolutely wild. Admittedly, it has been a bit too easy to offload players to Saudi and other destinations for hefty fees. What further helped generate a positive profit has been my emphasis on (what I'd consider) realistic transfers for all incoming deals - highest fee paid was €19m for Roony Bardghji in 2024.

image.png.230e7872b7122a71101a23c60d6dc83c.png

image.png.8295c2f87b689237fc4b5b2473cf4bb6.png

This season, we sold Valentin Gomez - a ball-playing defender, Luka Romero (who's Bardghji’s backup at AMR), Sebastian Bosseli - a right sided center back, and Andre Almeida - a playmaker - for a total of €130m. None of the 4 players were starters at their positions. 

On the flip side, we brought in 7 players for just ~€30m. Of the 7, just three came into our first team rotation: 

Rocco Ascone - a French defensive midfielder, good on the ball and can play center-back as well. He ended up spending quite a bit of time in defense in the second half of the season given the sale of Valentin Gomez. Bought for just €6m. 

Paulo Berra - continuing the tradition of young Argentinians in the squad. Another left footed center back. Came in as Bosseli wanted out and I knew I could shift homegrown Cristian Mosquera to right sided IFB in the rotation. Played backup most of the season but saw plenty of game time and showed solid growth. Bought for €11m. 

Oger Meendering - a Dutch striker prospect. An opportunistic buy of a forward player who brings excellent physical tools and aggression, and less finesse. The scouts thought he had excellent growth potential and I liked that he came cheap (just €7m). Oger came in mid-season and played backup to the brilliant Mamadou Dosso (more on him below). 

image.png.cfefafc3267e9f0d999d7543429f933d.pngimage.png.1913785e7946f67ba76f87da6cdd1ddf.png

image.png.35b4db3d6a0293a93055821397d6d2ec.png

The 4 other acquisitions were 17 year-olds from Romania, Kosovo, Italy and The Czech Republic. They were all placed in the U19s. All 4 are high potential players but somewhat far from first team ready. I don’t make these kinds of acquisitions every year, but I found that it sometimes helps to bring players at the academy level to ensure future role and play style suitability of academy graduates. I am really keen on giving our own youth intake players ample development focus and a path to the first team, but I have found that what I am getting in terms of role suitability, style of play, is a bit of a crapshoot (similar to a discussion I saw in Shrewnaldo’s Sporting Gijon thread; my experience has been the same). 

The other aspects of good financial management are all in check as well. We’re achieving in the league while keeping the wage spend well below the other title contenders, at €70m/year (7th highest in La Liga). Our commercial income has also grown significantly and we’re now 4th in La Liga with €27m/year (still just 1/10th of Barca and Real’s comparative numbers).  Wages to turnover is just 20%, by far the lowest in La Liga.

image.png.b38d2d2848b6f1b7141fcc794b7688df.png

image.png.fb2be6599b5c014eba5c252d331002dd.png

3. We have the best attacking force in Spain, but can't quite match the defensive dominance of Real and Barca 

100 goals scored? Not too shabby. We continued to be an assertive attacking team, taking the 2nd most shots (behind Real), but still maintaining the highest quality of shot in the league (close to 0.16 xG per shot). 

image.png.e1731273e43e397a4bc5692fb87ee08b.pngimage.png.e71a4941184a38b83fafccd42a14fbed.png

The defense was markedly better than last season, but still somewhat worse than the big 2’s defenses. We conceded only 25 goals, with the 3rd lowest xGA (~31 goals). I may have to add defensive solidity to push us to the next level. It’s all about marginal gains at this point, when we’re so close to the top. 

4. We still don’t have the quality depth to compete in earnest on both fronts 

Injuries and fixture congestion led to a lot of rotation in the first team. The constant rotation resulted in some inconsistent form at times, mainly in the Champions League. We had an unremarkable league phase which resulted in another playoff round appearance, same as last year. We were drawn against Liverpool for that playoff round and bowed out after losing 3-0 on the road, and barely scraping a 2-1 win in the return fixture. Disappointed that we weren’t able to beat our Round of 16 accomplishment from last season. 

image.png.a5077556048af078a84a96648194fbe7.png

The thing about our squad depth… I am not unhappy with our 2nd choice players. They’re good overall. It’s just that the way we’ve operated, our backups are a mix of high potential 19-20 year-olds, such as Paulo Berra, Salvador Rostoll, and Benito, with clear areas for improvements, and solid, but unremarkable, La Liga players like Manu Sanchez and Christian Mosquera. Side note: Hugo Duro (club captain) played a lot of AMR this season with that 2nd choice team, and did a good job, scoring 16 in all competitions. 

The overview of the squad (below) with the high level stats for apps, goals, assists and avg ratings shows just how much we had to rotate. Pablo Barrios - the man I’d like to start in defensive midfield, manage to clock just 18 starts all season. Gianluca Prestianni, arguably our best player, started just 29 matches (returning a healthy 14 goals and 11 assists in all comps). Our backup GK Restes started 24 matches. Every single 2nd choice player (with the exception of Oger Meendering who joined in January) started 17 or more matches. It’s fantastic for squad morale and development, but definitely impacted results. 

image.png.053d4d293ddddc7712219bde24446000.png

5. We have a new superstar upfront 

image.png.e2660beb687a22b9aca886f65d810be0.png

Mamadou Dosso - our (almost) 20 years-old Ivorian striker, an acquisition from the summer of 2026 for just €2.6m, became our undisputed starter upfront, and he didn’t disappoint with 25 league goals in 28 starts, and 31 goals in total. That’s a fantastic return. He’s also the best on the team at getting at the end of chances, with 0.71 NP-xG / 90. 

Dosso’s performance has been so good, he fares well even when compared to the best strikers in Europe. When looking at the top 11 scorers across Europe’s top 5 leagues, Dosso has the highest NP-xG/90, the highest goals/90 (by a mile!), and the highest conversion rate. He’s already up there with the likes of Haaland, Vitor Roque, Gonzalo Ramos, and he’s at least 3 years younger than anyone else on that list. Mind blowing. I give him a ton of credit for his movement (anticipation 18, OTB 16). And then, we have to give the rest of our team credit for setting him up with an array of tap-ins and simple 1:1 chances. 

image.thumb.png.5ae8eb08963ee1fd45e4fbc8bbd39c33.png

Dosso has gotten plenty of recognition, winning both the “Golden Boy” and “NXGN” awards this year. image.png.9bf88ea2ac9ad3c1185e179177d36c88.png

There’ll be interest in him, naturally. Fortunately, he’s under contract till 2032 with a nice release clause of €120m, which is starting to feel a little low given how good he actually is. 

6. Our homegrown youngsters continued to progress; seems that loans and starter minutes make a big difference (as opposed to coming on as a sub) 

The top 4 prospects from our academy, per the list we created in the summer of 2027 - Rostoll, Benito, Camara and Zagala - started the season in our first team squad of 26 players. With Rostoll as a legitimate 2nd choice at left forward behind star man Gianluca Prestianni, and the others being 3rd choice in key positions. 

image.png.7b367f729af8e756526754f7553b9e69.pngimage.png.e9bf35421e9981da4216889d74c80489.png

image.png.8d238c6cee9e6a88ec910b1e715b9601.pngimage.png.fbf3c02c95e5129752bc6cf28d1fd76e.png

Rostoll and Benito stayed with the first team the entire season. Neither has grown as much as I had hoped. 

Rostoll is clearly already elite with the ball, making great decisions. He managed 9 goals and 4 assists in all comps, Close to 0.5 goals/90 and 0.3 xA/90 put him well within the top 10% of attacking midfielders in Europe. He was 4th on the team in open play key passes (2.06/90), the best among the forward line players. Prestianni, the aforementioned starter ahead of Rostoll, was only 10th on the team with 1.6 KP/90. But Prestianni is much better at creating and finishing chances, likely because of his elite speed and agility, coupled with terrific dribbling, movement and intelligence. Physically is where Rostoll has to grow and improve if he is to compete for a starting position as a wide forward. That is, unless I end up finding a better spot for him on the team (his skillset is really more that of a playmaker than a wide forward). 

Benito only got 13 starts (+19 sub appearances), but he showed flashes of excellence with 7 goals and 2 assists, mostly as a CM(A). His most notable stats to me are 0.28 xG/90 (highest of any CM on the team), and 2.02/90 open play key passes, which is 5th on the team, right behind Rostoll. Given how good he was as a 16 year-old, I thought he’d be further ahead by now. That being said, the ceiling is still very high with, according to our staff. Probably needs to improve decisions, and the physical side, to truly take over in center midfield. Does he need to play week-in and week-out to make the leap? Maybe a loan next season? That's certainly where my mind is at. 

Zagala and Camara weren’t getting enough playing time, so in January I sent them out on loan. 

Zagala went to Rayo Vallecano and actually played very well, scoring 8 goals in 17 league appearances in the second half of the season. He will need another loan simply because he’s a 3rd choice striker at the moment (behind Dosso and Meendering). 

Camara went to Stuttgart which this season were a mid-table side in the Bundesliga. He also got plenty of starts, didn’t perform as well, but still showed some solid growth. He has some similarities to Benito, and also lacks physically. I am debating whether to give him more playing time with the first team next season, given his elite decision making, or whether to send him out on loan again. 

The standout prospects out of players who didn’t make the first team was  Juan Hernandez who recorded 17 goals and 6 assists for the B-Team, Mestalla, in La Liga 2. His performances made waves and some big teams (e.g., Spurs, does that count?!) started inquiring about him. So, I went ahead and renewed his contract with a higher release clause and pushed away the suitors. He’s now a La Liga caliber player, but not quite good enough in terms of movement, anticipation and decisions to be in our rotation, so we’ll aim to send him on a top flight loan for next season. Another member of the stocked 24’ class (alongside Rostoll, Benito, David, and Borja – the latter two are good prospects who are starters for the B-Team at the moment). 

image.png.f71dc8cc3b9c4022dd2324fb18620a04.png

The state of the academy overall is very good. There’s a lot of talent there. The U19 won a third consecutive Spanish youth title and is filled with excellent prospects from the classes of 26’ and 27’ (the 28’ intake, the most recent one, was a dud). The B-Team, Valencia Mestalla performed very well in La Liga 2, finishing 4th (they were not eligible for the playoff, obviously). So, we have the best youth team and the best B-Team in all of Spain. 

Going forward, I'd like to see more academy grads earning places in the first team. There no rush, though. We’re only 5 seasons in. The guys from our very first intake (class of 24’) are just turning 20 this year. Additionally, I'd like to keep winning. Our instant rise in La Liga and also competing in Europe every season means a high bar for the first team rotation. We'll just have the find the right balance in every match between fielding the best player who is fit and the high potential player who is desperate for playing time. 

In conclusion - 

Another good season from our young Valencia squad. We won another trophy, but we still have way to go. We are swimming in cash, but we won't be spending it, opting instead to maintain some realism and to try to build the club gradually towards becoming part of the European Elite. For season 6, the board set the transfer budget at €140m and the wage budget at €172m/year. We won’t be spending anywhere near that, but let’s see if we can make further progress in the UCL, maybe challenge for the title again and hope for a slip up from Real Madrid, which is currently Europe’s best team. 

The board wants to win the title by 2033. I hope we’ll do it sooner than that... 

Edited by Alejandro_FM

Valencia have been one of my go to teams since FM2018 - as alluded to in the OP, they had a decent side back then, but it got progressively harder each year as stars were sold IRL. Last year's team was a slog.

Have just upgraded to FM24, so I'll be back at the Mestalla soon - especially after reading this thread, which has really wet my appetite for another go with Los Che.

Preseason/Summer 2028 - Squad for Season 6  

Heading into the summer my focus was optimizing the development paths of our brightest prospects. I prepared for a transfer window with minimal changes to the squad, and almost no spending.

Summer comings and goings: 

First, We cashed in on a few players: 

image.png.302ef31ce8bf6ce3793d9c41161759ef.png

image.png.6e574565b5bdf86329ee36afa53cc321.png

Marcel Ruiz, a bonafide starter and high performer in seasons 2 and 3, fell off the rotation, and given his limited runway for growth, and relatively high wages,  €35m was too good to turn down. He’s off to Nantes, which is a popular team among our players (many state that it’s their favorite destination for loans and such), having been recently purchased by a tycoon. Nantes is also managed by a Spaniard who plays a 4-3-3, interestingly. 

Alejanro Frances, our starting right back (IFB), is off to Spurs for  €42m (matched his release clause). A good player but one I didn’t mind letting go, which may have been a mistake given how opposing left forwards abused us in matches this season so far. 

Tobias Gulliksen, our 3rd choice left forward is on a season loan at West Ham with an option to buy at $45m. I think they’ll go for it given his market value of  €70m+. 

Some of our best prospects went on loans with the hope they’ll make a leap this season: 

Salvador Zagala to Crystal Palace in the Prem, Benito (to Nice), Juan Hernandez (to Lens), and Salvatore Marchi (to Bordeaux) in Ligue 1. Marchi, by the way, is an excellent wingback prospect whom I may not have mentioned before. Was acquired in the summer of 2027 into the academy, and had a very strong preseason which prompted me to believe he was ready for a top flight loan. Enclosing his profile below... 

image.png.43067e2ee7db8a255d6d54e85a7d5a3d.png

We made just two incoming moves and only €9m spent upfront: 

image.png.3d14cc7a25deed5adf3755d177c1a0f3.png

Stefan Bajcetic, a bit of a leap of faith that he can get back on a development path. Our scouts and fans were not supportive given his age, but I figured it was worth the risk. He has been okay overall since coming in and has certainly developed, but he has also made a couple of mistakes which led to goals from the opposing left wing and eventual losses (early in the season - update will follow). 

Sabit Sarigul, a Turkish center back, and already very impressive at age 20. Fit straight into the rotation behind Paulo Berra. 

Overall, the transfer strategy here was simple. Let's not bring in players who will prevent our existing young talent from playing big minutes. 

image.png.4eb6637ca78524be63aacbf102eae83d.pngimage.png.2906a383fdd699732630aa0862e1435a.png

Squad depth ahead of season 6: 
(Trying to not spam with too many profile screenshots, so I am limiting myself to our top 4 players, enclosed at the bottom)

Goalkeepers: 
Both are good quality La Liga players. Carnesecchi is a better shot stopper and Restes can do more with his feet. I don’t think in FM having a world-class GK is a must for winning titles, so to me, we’re sufficiently stocked in the position. 
Position grade: B+

image.png.c0005339a1c8839518ccbf140326ef25.png

Center-backs: 
Navajas
and Valentini share BPD duties in the left center back position. The former is close to world class. Berra and Sarigul are more limited, but very solid and still emerging. 
Overall, we’re not lacking quality or depth here, just some experience. 

image.png.1161c3671cb19dcc110251c609d7741f.png

image.png.883eaddac27a7886d540ef8b4e629500.png

Full-backs: 
On the left, Barco is a star and high performer. Signed an extension this summer, making him the second highest paid player in the squad. We now consistently set up in shapes and game models that allow him to move forward and contribute in attack. Sanchez is his backup, a player “at his prime” but far below Barco in quality. Clearly an area to improve in the future, given that none of the prospects below the first team seem to have the potential to reach Barco’s quality. 

On the right, we have homegrown Mosquera, my “pet rescue project” Bajcetic, and two prospects outside of the first team in Marchi (mentioned above, on loan) and Jimenez (in the B-Team). In the first team, this is without a doubt our weakest position, so I really hope that Marchi and Jimenez can progress quickly in their development and command their place in the team, otherwise, I’ll have to make a move in the transfer market.
Position grade: B-

image.png.8d7fb14a62ca12126200f8f365c8c8f0.png

image.png.95e39cc05e6c436294d47374b348ff8a.png

Central midfield: 
At the DM strata, Rocco Ascone is a second year starter. Solid option, but limited growth potential. Behind him, Kalu is newly promoted from the B-Team, an excellent all around deep option hailing from Nigeria. I am super high on him. 

At the CM strata, our best player at the moment is Lazar Samardzic, the Serbian attacking orchestrator, with a mean left foot. We do rotate heavily with 5 interchangeable options because the aforementioned Samardzic is often called to back up Roony Bardghji at left winger, given the lack of a natural backup in that position. I am very high on Camara, whom I’ve mentioned a handful of times before, a player who’s been at the club since age 16 and returns to the first team this season after a loan in the Bundesliga. Benito, arguably our best CM prospect, is out on loan as I mentioned above. 

image.png.118ea325f1c5197e139e05015e1e2e46.png

image.png.5e1717bf23e39163fe900fc180a3a6d3.png

Wide-forwards: 
On the left, Prestianni and Rostoll are terrific 1st and 2nd choice options. Both are immense playmakers, and I am aiming to bring them more into matches by adjusting the tactics slightly for the season to come. 

On the right, we have Roony, who started season 6 on a goalscoring spree, but no natural back-up. The would-be-backup, Juan Hernandez, who is not ready, is out on loan as mentioned above. Hugo Duro and Lazar Samardzic help out by rotating into this position when needed. 
Position grade: A

image.png.cec12b6048b33ce920c1724d914b0de7.png

Center-forwards:
In my previous post, I already covered our new star striker, Dosso. Behind him we have Hugo Duro, and Oger Meendering in the first team, and our academy star Zagala out on loan at Crystal Palace. No plans to acquire any more strikers in the near future. 
Position grade: A

image.png.c653bf96681ac4fe51f97af3dcc6b32c.png

Top 4 players:

image.png.a85e1440fd0314cc0bfac5c5828cb4e7.pngimage.png.1b38a03a55366249e96b7ceabb5debf9.png

image.png.0a6f00f7999ba6af84ac517b0a57aa6a.pngimage.png.616194ad07f03d22b57a35f43ab42634.png

Overall:
The squad is 2-deep at each position and is set up well to compete. We have a weakness in right back, and some inexperience in the center of defense. Let’s hope those don’t come to cost us this season, with expectations being as high as they’ve been. As has been the case in the past 3 seasons, the media has us pegged to finish 3rd. 

With renewals and such - wages have now gone up to ~79m per year and we're up to 6th highest in La Liga. 

image.png.1b67308eeb79648cad3b22089c0bf5d5.png

Early Season 6 (November 2028)

We kicked off season 6 hoping to mount another title challenge, and to improve our performance in the UCL. 

Unfortunately, our early season slate was brutal and really tested our resolve. 2 of the first 3 league matches were against Real and Barcelona, both away. The opening 2 matches of the UCL were both away at Braga and Barcelona (for the second time in 3 weeks), followed by home matches against Liverpool and Spurs. So, the schedule was not in our corner, but as they say “To be the best you have to beat the best”. 

How did we fare over the first 3 months? The answer depends on the competition. 

image.png.ff2c25f153da5e9ebd074c9ba6835bee.png

image.png.bf2ddbb7906a35f2deac30fddb4972bf.png

In the league, our form has been very good, continuing on from last year. After 13 matches, we’re 2nd behind Real, only 2 points separating us, having lost only once (to Real, on match day 1), and having beaten Barca away at Camp Nou.  Real is just on a different planet at the moment. They boast a 47 to 9 goal difference after 13 matches. Just running over teams. 

image.png.828f87bb934c1a15cb5bdbc249a49f58.png

In Europe, we lost all 4 of our opening matches, despite controlling 3 of them and having good chances to win each match. We finally won on November 1st, at home to FC Koln, but it might be too little too late, as far as our European campaign is concerned, with matches at Leverkusen, Nice, and Shakhtar, all away, still to come in the league phase. 

We’ve been competitive, and clearly whatever it is that we need to do to win the biggest competitions is about finding marginal gains. A tactical evolution? Better in-match adjustments? Squad reinforcements? Better rotation? I don’t know. I am hoping to find the formula in the coming months. Real Madrid pose an almost impossible challenge in the league, but can we find a way to stay close to perfect and keep up with them?

A tactical sidebar:

Coming into the season, the plan was to do “more of the same”. I’ve rigidly stuck to this 4-3-3 shape with the right side providing cover in the back, allowing  Barco on the left to go forward and contribute in attack. 

image.png.b52d1e383d310ae9ddeeae6bdaff4551.png

Our central midfielders ALL like to get forward and in the box (If I decided to overhaul the position, this might be something I would look to balance). Therefore, the attacking plan is to involve the flanks (mostly left) in the buildup and allow the midfielders time and space to make the forward runs. 

Dosso is a goalscorer and backline stretcher. Roony is an all-around threat from the right, whereas Prestianni on the left is expected to create, either for himself or to provide the killer pass, to one of his forward line partners or to one of the midfielders on a forward run. 

Overall, the plan has worked well so far. Hard to argue with 3 consecutive top 4 finishes in La Liga, 2 of which were accompanied by over 90 points. 
Additionally, this setup did seem to produce solid performances from our best players: 

• Dosso had an excellent season 5 as covered previously. The underlying numbers suggested that he was well served with goalscoring opportunities (recall, he had the highest NPxG/90 in Europe’s top 5 leagues). 
  • Barco - is at the high percentiles for progressive passes, xA, xG and shots for a full-back. 8 assists in the league and consistently one of the highest avg ratings on the team. 
  • Bardghji - 8 goals and 12 assists are perhaps not the output I’d expect to see from our 2nd option attacker (behind Dosso), but then again, his xG (~10) suggests he should have been in double digits for scoring, and his underlying numbers suggests he’s at high percentiles for shots, OP-KP, xA an xG for his position group. 
  • Prestianni’s output last season was very good, 14 goals and 11 assists in 29 starts.  

Barco's stats (season 5)

image.png.59a28d12937fc8379cbdb42888e114f1.png

Bardghji's stats (season 5)

image.png.28e758c7e69dde2bdc65b539eb4e84a6.png

Last year, I felt that our attack was on par with the best, but our defense was a notch below those of Barcelona and Real. This trend continued into this season. If the reasons behind this trend are tactical (they  may not be, but humor me here), then what is it about our tactics? 

image.png.8ff19d7e0a0ee464edb5b62f3a4c29d3.png

I went on a mini data mission to figure out where our underlying numbers differed from those of the La Liga royalty. I looked at the defensive line, pressing intensity, pitch tilt and more. We were impressively keeping up with Real and Barca. Here’s for example the pitch tilt chart: 

image.png.aaa571d0ebb760cd1db87ad328033749.png

Ultimately, the meaningful differences I found: 

1. We are more loose in possession. 
  2. Our pressing intensity is lower. 

image.png.8ca7e4b20a51ef9ea1d56f0a6b591ba9.pngimage.png.acff83132177cb1b812a73e69861f9a7.png

Improving on #1 felt like something I ought to try. If we gave opponents fewer opportunities to possess the ball, we would be less vulnerable to counter attacks. 
I am not quite sure about #2. I don’t want my players running around pressing like headless chickens, so “much more often” intensity is out of the question. Should we be more aggressive, though? Perhaps with a pressing role like a BWM, or with a TI of “Get Stuck In”? maybe.

For now, I ended up creating this alternative tactic. The “jury is still out” on this one. What I am trying to do with the changes here: 

• Playing out of defense - more safe possession. 
  • Removed “Pass into Space” - more safe possession. 
  • Removed “Counter” - more safe possession. 
  • New roles with more fluidity and support: 
    • Barco is now a WB(S). Wanted fewer attack duties and the other 3 seemed more important 
    • Changed the IW on the left to an AP, CM(s) to BBM. 

image.png.09c006cc23e9ccddd277bda07bb3d420.png

Let’s see if any noticeable improvements are apparent as the season continues … 

Couldn't resist - started my own Valencia save in FM24, currently 3rd in La Liga after 20 games, but knocked out of the Cup on penalties by Deportivo in what I have dubbed the They Were Good in 2001 Derby

On 17/04/2024 at 16:08, Alejandro_FM said:

Let’s see if any noticeable improvements are apparent as the season continues … 

Interesting analysis, and it's good to have a plan. A cynic might observe that the simple difference between you and Madrid and Barcelona is how much they spend on wages :D.

But a good season so far (a tough group of fixtures in Europe!) and hopefully you can find the marginal gains you need without blowing the budget.

Keep up the good work :thup:

2 hours ago, duff33 said:

Couldn't resist - started my own Valencia save in FM24, currently 3rd in La Liga after 20 games, but knocked out of the Cup on penalties by Deportivo in what I have dubbed the They Were Good in 2001 Derby

Great start. Depo have not made it back to the top flight in my 6 seasons here so far, but would have been nice to have that "derby" on a regular basis. 

58 minutes ago, warlock said:

Interesting analysis, and it's good to have a plan. A cynic might observe that the simple difference between you and Madrid and Barcelona is how much they spend on wages :D.

But a good season so far (a tough group of fixtures in Europe!) and hopefully you can find the marginal gains you need without blowing the budget.

Keep up the good work :thup:

Thanks! ... yeah to be fair, that's the way it is in football sometimes. The best predictor of on-pitch success is the wage bill :)

Posted (edited)

January 2029

3 additional months into the season, cross the half way points. How are we getting on with those marginal gains? 

The rest of 2028 went smoothly in the league, coupled with one more European victory against Bayer Leverkusen (not coached by Xabi Alonso at the moment). The league form pleased me in particular - 6 matches, 6 wins, 15 goals for, 3 goals against. 

image.png.d14fc8de0bc32c1c2c8abe1a3ab60a76.png

Then in January - 

image.png.700859043f2763fb46b4338c4e0fcc36.png

We saw off Bilbao away thanks to a brace from our Dutch striker Meendering. but then, we had a defining slate of fixtures ahead of us: 

image.png.1f71d33cdaf16c9cef1bbdba2d907873.png

It's all nice and well to beat the "other teams" in La Liga in successive fashion. However, as we've seen, Real Madrid do not blink. Coming into our match against them, we were tied on 53 points a piece in 20 matches. It didn't help that this match of the season got scheduled right between two do or die UCL fixtures, both away from home. 

To add to the challenge - our two best players - Roony Bardghji and Gianluca Prestianni, were going to miss that entire stretch. 

image.png.57b43b4d394ab2c0593b006f52bd3a7c.png

So, I decided to "give up" on Europe, and fielded our backups against Nice to keep our team fresh for Real. 

That didn't go well... 

image.png.fd70c9b8cf82db1513084ab265caf426.png

We got thoroughly outplayed by the 7th place team in Ligue 1. The Valencia loanee Benito (class of 24') even came on for a cameo with 3 minute to go... 

Never mind that... we gave Real THE BUSINESS: 

image.png.35be2061e6820b3b85be4afc7285ab7a.pngimage.png.5cc649c980b32709737df8225585efe2.png

And with 10 men for about 40 minutes, after Javi Guerra, our vice-captain, and scorer of the early goal, decided to lunge into a 2-footed tackle in the 54th minute. Our low possession stat is misleading, and is mostly driven by us being pinned back in the second half when we were a man down. In the first half, we had our way with Real in their half, and even when we lost the ball, we were in excellent pressing situations, which led to our 2 first half goals, both from final third interceptions. 

Here's the possession that led to our opening goal - 

image.png.f96f41605ce5a3c970f395f56c0b387c.png

We're building play from the back in a left-skewing 3-2. Navajas, the ball playing defender and at the top of the back 3, passes to ball to Kalu, our defensive midfielder, who then passes a nice line-breaker to Oger Meendering at the center of the front 5 (the right winger is out of the at the bottom of the screen). Our left side overload with Barco (top of the light blue line), the Rostoll, (The AP, in for the injured Prestianni), and Samardzic the BBM, is clear to see in the image. Kalu chose to pass into the middle in this case, however, I often excellent interplay in the left wing, which leads to someone freeing up with a through ball. 

image.png.aa40a952f90ac72db39b160658cfede5.png

Meendering can't hold on to the ball, but we have 4 players (including him) near by to immediately pursue the ball and counter press. 

image.png.a36dc283fbcc9632b4c4384748397ff9.png

The resulting blunder ended up with Javi Guerra and Meendering both heading towards goal with the ball at their (Guerra's) feet, with only the keeper left to beat. 1-0 Valencia! 

A minute later - we had another clear-cut-chance resulting from an interception in the final third, only this time Meendering's shot hit the post. 

Speaking of Meendering. No, he did not become our starter at striker. He started for Dosso because the latter was throwing a fit wanting a new contract. He's on ~1.7m/year with 3 years left on his deal and is asking for 6 times that (10-11m). He's incredible, and we can afford it if we keep our winning ways, but I am reluctant to break our squad wage structure for the guy given the depth we have behind him. We'll revisit come the end of the season. 

So - I was extremely pleased about beating Real. We proceeded to handily beat Shakhtar away and Barca at home as well. What a wild ride. With Barca - the match was a bit tighter, and they certainly had their chances, but I was confident in our strategy. They played their usual narrow 4-2-2-2 under Xavi, and we exploited the flanks by turning our IFB on the right into a WB(S), while providing extra cover in the middle with Kalu as a HB instead of a DM(S). 

image.png.1d28edf779e3bdec63ac611ed5332c30.png

In the UCL - unfortunately, as I suspected despite winning more in the second half of the league phase, it was "too little too late" and we had to bow out with a disappointing 9 points in 8 matches. We really have to figure out how to step up our European game. Since winning the Europa League in 2026, we've only been back to a round of 16 once. 

image.png.f0aaf995382e1dc536492d0ddb71c17d.png

In the league, after 22 matches, we have the edge at the top of the table. Our head to head matchup (i.e. matches between us) is tied, so we'll need to beat them with more points. It may take 95+ points to win La Liga this season. Can we keep up this insane pace in the coming months? 

Edited by Alejandro_FM

4 hours ago, Alejandro_FM said:

we have the edge at the top of the table

Impressive! Beating Madrid and Barca in the same month is a great achievement in any season.

Go Valencia :D

On 20/04/2024 at 13:34, AlfieLucas said:

Impressive stuff so far man. Keeping my fingers crossed, you secure La Liga. Can't believe how much Real and Barca's wages over the year is :idiot:

Thank you. Much Appreciated. 

Yes their finances are nuts, revenues too. 

Season 6 - Final Stretch (May 2029)
The final stretch of the season was intense, nervy at times, but we’ve performed as well as I could’ve hoped. Dropped points on only two occasions in the league. 

Real Madrid gave us a proper run though. We had to be so perfect, in fact, that we ended up breaking La Liga’s point record (was 100 over 38 matches) en route to Valencia's first La Liga title since 2004 (and first of this save). It’s refreshing to me that we had to be this good and get these many points for our first league win, and that it took 6 seasons of progress, all in the top flight. Typically in my saves, I’ve been winning initially despite some struggles because the “AI teams” tended to flop, but not this time. Real were close to perfect themselves. They scored a whopping 127 goals this season. It’s mental. So many 4-0 and 5-0 results in their campaign. 

Eventually, we did prevail... 

image.png.c46384c4711c256ad18b57492842283b.pngimage.png.c3e59cb7ca03bf6c3dfe7fd11f6727ef.png

Separately, we won the Copa Del Rey for the 2nd time in a row, which made this season even more of a success. I do wish we did better in Europe to boost our reputation a little. 

Below are a few more screenshots and highlights from the campaign: 

Team performance: 

100 goals scored (2nd best to Real's 127 goals, as mentioned above) scored and 25 conceded (best). Exactly the same as last year. Overall underlying numbers suggest that our adjustments did yield those coveted marginal gains. We won the title fair and square. 

image.png.2e2ff172e85d0e770f7854691daab061.png

Player performance: 
Mamadou Dosso didn’t repeat his incredible goalscoring performance from last season. His NPxG/90 (0.55 compared to 0.71 last season) and xG underperformance of -0.78 were both disappointing. Overall he contributed 17 goals in all comp (only 12 in the league). Not the kind of numbers you’d expect from someone demanding a super star contract. 

Player of the season (primarily true in the first half) was Roony Bardghji with 14 goals and 8 assists in just 34 apps (due to injuries). I was also very happy with Lazar Samardzic - he had 8 goals and 13 assists, highest on the team in xA/90 (0.42), 2nd highest Op-KP/90 (2.09). 

Neither of the two made the league’s team of the season, given the performances of Lamine Yamal (15 goals, 13 assists in the league), Vinicius Junior (18 goals and 9 assists), Fede Valverde (19 goals, 14 assists) and Jude Bellingham (23 goals, 13 assists). Dosso, as well as Carnessecchi, Valentin Barco and Paulo Berra represented Valencia in La Liga’s top 11. 

image.png.ba58b7ba3b5da25bc3de3d76dfc478a7.png

The versatility of our attacking display did manifest in 7 players (4 starters, 3 2nd choices) achieving double figures in goals scored, and 3 players achieving double digits in assists - Barco from the full back position, Samardzic, and our most prominent academy grad to date, Salvador Rostoll (Prestianni's backup at AML). 

I was also particularly impressed with Oger Meendering, Dosso’s backup at striker, who scored 14 goals in 27 appearances, but only 14 starts. His NPxG/90 was 0.74, higher than Dosso’s number last year. He seems to get into chances even when he plays limited minutes. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain these high numbers if he were a starter more frequently. 

image.png.f67f19e3fc445f63acdd9cbfdf49bc5a.png

OVERALL – 

We’re in a very good spot in terms of competing in La Liga for years to come, and I am delighted to have gotten to this point with only realistic, frugal transfers, and a young squad, on a wage budget that’s about ¼ of those of Real’s and Barca’s. 

Going forward -

I am asking myself where I’d like to take this journey, with 3 possible options on the table: 

1. Achievement focus - we’ll turn our attention to Europe. We’ll continue to gradually raise our wage bill, enhance our squad depth in a few key spots, and try to take the club to the next level. We still want to challenge for the league every year, but the clear goal would be to win the UCL in the next 3-4 seasons. To be clear, In this scenario, I will still maintain transfer market sensibility. Not looking to “break the bank”. So far, our highest transfer fee was ~€18m, and I would intend to remain in that ballpark (maybe up to €30-35m), and have the wage budget peak at about ~€120m/year (about £2m/week). How fast can we become the best team in Europe?  

2. Academy focus - we’ll pivot harder to focus on youth development, and make the Valencia first team an academy-first squad. We’ll aim to field as many of our academy players as we can - at least 50% of our La Liga (and UCL) registered squad of 25.  So far, I've considered players who arrived at the club at 16-17 years-old as academy players. If I pursue this option, I could further refine the definition and say only our own intake players are academy players. We shall see. How long will it take us to get there? We’ll still want to win as much as possible along the way, but we’ll slow (or halt) transfers to ensure that our academy players have a priority each summer when the first team squad is decided. 

3. Tactical innovation focus - we'll pivot away from my mainstream 4-3-3, possession system, and try something I've not done in years (I've been playing 4-3-3 fairly religiously since FM17 at least). Maybe a 3 at the back? Or maybe a 4-4-2. The key would be to introduce new tactical principles, and be more rigid about them. We'll still try to win, develop players and so on, but mastering the new shape will be my focus. 

These options are not mutually exclusive, and we’re not going to set hard and fast rules. It’s more about the theme of the save going forward. Trying to decide what will be more interesting and enjoyable for me. I’ll figure this out after a little bit of a breather… as I tend to do :)

I realize that this is completely subjective, but I am curious to hear what others might have done if you were in this stage of the save ... Any thoughts or ideas from any of you reading this are most welcome. 

Cheers and vamos los ches!

Edited by Alejandro_FM