Simone Inzaghi's Inter - An FM24 Recreation

finally someone gives credit to Inter Milan. As an Inter fan thank you for your analysis! Greath choice for Dumfries, i think he needs to be put in the midfield strata due to his high positioning during matches. I'm curious to try your tactic with medium-lower side, maybe i will try it in my career with Torino!

Edited by gennamitico

7 hours ago, gennamitico said:

finally someone gives credit to Inter Milan. As an Inter fan thank you for your analysis! Greath choice for Dumfries, i think he needs to be put in the midfield strata due to his high positioning during matches. I'm curious to try your tactic with medium-lower side, maybe i will try it in my career with Torino!

Of course. My grandfather is an Inter fan so they've always been a team I hope do well. As for the tactic with a medium-lower side, I will say that this tactic is a tiny bit leaky, so maybe putting it down to Positive could be good. I'm gonna get through the rest of the season today and try to improve the defense and goalkeeping in the offseason.

Edited by GCVS00

Ok so I just finished my first season in charge. I'll be posting the table, some stats, and anything else you guys want.

Table:

image.thumb.png.ad64288b12f3c070c59be093f0db582b.png

xg Table:

image.thumb.png.c7d262429d5cf071ab4ff1b44008dd31.png

Competitions:

image.thumb.png.e82f03bb8169c0e503c2a76a73782408.png

Both Lautaro and Thuram finished with 30+ goals in Serie A. We also finished with an average possession of 54%, which is very close to Inter's real life possession statistics. Overall, I'm really satisfied with the tactical shape and roles, especially Dumfries in the DW-S role. I'm gonna tinker with using less aggressive mentality in away UCL and cup games to see if we can stop shipping as many goals.

26 minutes ago, gennamitico said:

Incredible results! I think you made a great tactic. In my first games in Torino save it gave me good results too, i’m going to post it in the next days

Awesome! Glad you like it. I'll be tinkering with some stuff in the meantime to see if I can win the UCL!

Ok so I just finished up the second season. I've finally cracked the code for this tactic. In big games, change the mentality of the team to balanced. That's it. Using this change, we won Serie A (using mostly the attacking tactic), Coppa Italia and the UCL (using the Balanced tactic for away games and the finals). Here are some of the stats and competition info:

Serie A:

image.thumb.png.79aa846bdc6caef6c7e62c3a6825b9d4.png

xG Table:

image.thumb.png.ae0733a4c9ca8eef39321745c4ef8cfb.png

UCL Results:

image.thumb.png.7484bf4b5582c8f887ea1c8c042a2dc2.png

UCL Final:

image.thumb.png.d0b0e434b56f2c31f7e3cd650ab03479.png

Also, the only major signings I made to the starting XI were replacing Henrikh with Baldanzi and Acerbi with Disasi on loan!

Also, Dumfries exploded in the role I've been using for him. This season, he had 19 goals and 11 assists in all comps, making 4 dribbles per 90 and 3.56 tackles per 90. And, of course, he got a hat trick in the UCL Final!!

@GCVS00Love this thread so much! Reminds me of the good old days when we would create unique roles with PIs for players to fit in certain tactical replications. Dumfries has always been one of my favourites and have been following him since his euros exploits as holland’s top scorer. I agree with your tactical depiction of Dumfries as he’s being used as a far post poacher in inter’s tactics. I actually tried to recreate his role on FM23 with him as WM on attack with roam and cross less often but could never get him to be as amazing as yours with 19 goals and 11 assists!!  Didn’t know the DW role can be so good at scoring with just cut inside as the PI. 

Edited by Jyuan83

6 hours ago, Jyuan83 said:

@GCVS00Love this thread so much! Reminds me of the good old days when we would create unique roles with PIs for players to fit in certain tactical replications. Dumfries has always been one of my favourites and have been following him since his euros exploits as holland’s top scorer. I agree with your tactical depiction of Dumfries as he’s being used as a far post poacher in inter’s tactics. I actually tried to recreate his role on FM23 with him as WM on attack with roam and cross less often but could never get him to be as amazing as yours with 19 goals and 11 assists!!  Didn’t know the DW role can be so good at scoring with just cut inside as the PI. 

I was surprised, I figured I would have to tweak his role a lot but no. He gets pretty narrow, even before we reach the final third, and he's amazing at the back post. The Dimarco cross to Dumfries header has been a staple of our attack

As an Inter fan I'm glad to see this happen, I am going to give it a try in my first FM24 save with Chelsea. I think their squad can do really well with tactic IRL, I'm interested to see how it does IG,. 

1 hour ago, Ace40 said:

As an Inter fan I'm glad to see this happen, I am going to give it a try in my first FM24 save with Chelsea. I think their squad can do really well with tactic IRL, I'm interested to see how it does IG,. 

I was actually thinking that as well. Would fit their personnel very well imo

I'm interested in replicating Inzaghi system too, as an Inter fan.

I suppose that, like every real life system, is impossible to replicate at 100% in FM terms, simply because a game is a matter of number but football is a matter of men.

But honestly this is a very similar replication, probably the most difficult thing is to replicate the Dumfries role, in particular when he cuts without the ball acting like a true forward.

Great post, but I'd say that FM roles aren't suitable for what's Inzaghi been using.

First issue is that you can't really replicate middle-CB role.

For goal-kicks and free-kicks after offsides, middle-CB usually gets in line with DM and two wide-CBs move a bit narrower, making a square for build up. Sometimes one CM will also drop deep if pressing from the opposition is harder.

So you'd need middle-CB to be a BPD-cover on defense, but have more freedom to move at the initial build-up phase.

Bastoni specifically is an unique player in world of football and is most definitely closer to libero than WCB role.

Him and Dimarco are over/underlapping duo on the left and that definitely should be an instruction. Idk how to instruct it, though, because Bastoni often goes all the way wide and overlaps on the flank, but sometimes he underlaps and gets to the edge of the box.

Right CB is more conservative, but also has surging runs that aren't as common. Think of Darmian getting a penalty from such run in Bergamo a few games ago. We'll see if Pavard gets even more freedom, unfortunately he got injured.

Defensive winger is actually great thinking for Dumfries, as he contributes on both ends of the pitch. I'd say that he most definitely has a low crosses instruction because he just can't float a proper cross in. He's poor with the ball and best used when he either gets the ball into space for a quick cross or he's the cross receiver himself.

Dimarco on the other side would even be wide playmaker for me. If you think about it, back in the day Mourinho talked about Sneijder and Maicon being two playmakers on either flank as Sneijder often moved to the left and now that's the case with Dimarco and Barella. Dimarco is technically amazing, but lacks physical attributes to be a wingback that just goes up and down the pitch. He also has plays where he ends up in the box and even scores from the inside, but he's mostly a playmaker.

Calhanoglu is what completely ruins the system for me in FM, because apparently him having such stellar season backed with defensive stat is enough for 12 stamina and 10 work rate. Just a disgrace.

If you watch games, three midfielders are always in line when defending, but they often switch places, as in Calhanoglu can end up on the left or right due to transition.

Mkhitaryan is everywhere, maybe even a roaming playmaker role or a central midfielder with more creative instructions would be better suited. Barella is a classic mezzala on offense.

Lautaro's pressing forward role is a no brainer, but I'd even say that Thuram is CF-S instead of DLF. For me, DLF is more suited for someone like Dybala or Correa (ugh). Thuram finds himself at the end of actions in the box plenty of times.

Now what I disagree with is high defensive line, it's simply not the case. Obviously happens when Inter is chasing result like the Roma match you mentioned, but if there's no rush, it's a deeper defensive line. That's what saved Inzaghi's job, giving up on high press because defense was just shambolic and the entire team was disjointed.

With Hakan in Brozović's place, everything is more direct. Brozović was better at recycling possession, but Hakan makes way more direct plays.

Defensive block is kind of 8+2, making it really difficult for opposition to press Inter hard. Two strikers are always up forward, meaning that opposition has to commit at least three defenders at all times and then they're unable to create advantages against 5-3 block. If opposition creates an advantage on the flanks, Lautaro or Thuram will drop deeper and help the extrernal midfielder and wingback. I'd even say defensive instructions should be defend narrower and invite crosses. But in reality, noone even bothers with crosses against 3 at the back.

I'd even say that passing should be more direct, with quicker tempo. Counter-attacking football. You mentioned Frosinone game, both goals happened from counter-attacks. Yes, it was a 40m wonderstrike and a penalty, but still.

Wingbacks and strikers are outlets, then they try to make an advantage with quick link-up. Things tend to get tedious against catenaccios because noone except for Thuram is a good dribbler one on one.

I'm not going to lie, I tried re-creating Inzaghi's setup in beta, but as always FM doesn't value this kind of tactics and I just had way too many defensive issues with WCBs, same as last year.

Switched it to 352 full-on press with 3xBPD, 2xCWB and 2xAF, won two trebles in a row in second and third season. 35-3-0 in the league, the game's just broken if you play full press and it's so frustrating.

6 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Great post, but I'd say that FM roles aren't suitable for what's Inzaghi been using.

First issue is that you can't really replicate middle-CB role.

For goal-kicks and free-kicks after offsides, middle-CB usually gets in line with DM and two wide-CBs move a bit narrower, making a square for build up. Sometimes one CM will also drop deep if pressing from the opposition is harder.

So you'd need middle-CB to be a BPD-cover on defense, but have more freedom to move at the initial build-up phase.

Bastoni specifically is an unique player in world of football and is most definitely closer to libero than WCB role.

Him and Dimarco are over/underlapping duo on the left and that definitely should be an instruction. Idk how to instruct it, though, because Bastoni often goes all the way wide and overlaps on the flank, but sometimes he underlaps and gets to the edge of the box.

Right CB is more conservative, but also has surging runs that aren't as common. Think of Darmian getting a penalty from such run in Bergamo a few games ago. We'll see if Pavard gets even more freedom, unfortunately he got injured.

Defensive winger is actually great thinking for Dumfries, as he contributes on both ends of the pitch. I'd say that he most definitely has a low crosses instruction because he just can't float a proper cross in. He's poor with the ball and best used when he either gets the ball into space for a quick cross or he's the cross receiver himself.

Dimarco on the other side would even be wide playmaker for me. If you think about it, back in the day Mourinho talked about Sneijder and Maicon being two playmakers on either flank as Sneijder often moved to the left and now that's the case with Dimarco and Barella. Dimarco is technically amazing, but lacks physical attributes to be a wingback that just goes up and down the pitch. He also has plays where he ends up in the box and even scores from the inside, but he's mostly a playmaker.

Calhanoglu is what completely ruins the system for me in FM, because apparently him having such stellar season backed with defensive stat is enough for 12 stamina and 10 work rate. Just a disgrace.

If you watch games, three midfielders are always in line when defending, but they often switch places, as in Calhanoglu can end up on the left or right due to transition.

Mkhitaryan is everywhere, maybe even a roaming playmaker role or a central midfielder with more creative instructions would be better suited. Barella is a classic mezzala on offense.

Lautaro's pressing forward role is a no brainer, but I'd even say that Thuram is CF-S instead of DLF. For me, DLF is more suited for someone like Dybala or Correa (ugh). Thuram finds himself at the end of actions in the box plenty of times.

Now what I disagree with is high defensive line, it's simply not the case. Obviously happens when Inter is chasing result like the Roma match you mentioned, but if there's no rush, it's a deeper defensive line. That's what saved Inzaghi's job, giving up on high press because defense was just shambolic and the entire team was disjointed.

With Hakan in Brozović's place, everything is more direct. Brozović was better at recycling possession, but Hakan makes way more direct plays.

Defensive block is kind of 8+2, making it really difficult for opposition to press Inter hard. Two strikers are always up forward, meaning that opposition has to commit at least three defenders at all times and then they're unable to create advantages against 5-3 block. If opposition creates an advantage on the flanks, Lautaro or Thuram will drop deeper and help the extrernal midfielder and wingback. I'd even say defensive instructions should be defend narrower and invite crosses. But in reality, noone even bothers with crosses against 3 at the back.

I'd even say that passing should be more direct, with quicker tempo. Counter-attacking football. You mentioned Frosinone game, both goals happened from counter-attacks. Yes, it was a 40m wonderstrike and a penalty, but still.

Wingbacks and strikers are outlets, then they try to make an advantage with quick link-up. Things tend to get tedious against catenaccios because noone except for Thuram is a good dribbler one on one.

I'm not going to lie, I tried re-creating Inzaghi's setup in beta, but as always FM doesn't value this kind of tactics and I just had way too many defensive issues with WCBs, same as last year.

Switched it to 352 full-on press with 3xBPD, 2xCWB and 2xAF, won two trebles in a row in second and third season. 35-3-0 in the league, the game's just broken if you play full press and it's so frustrating.

Yeah high press is much better than mid or low block big difference, i think if SI makes the WB(a) to attack like a DW or W in offensive phase so he attack the box makes run in behind and is a threat to score not just stay wide and crosses the 3-5-2 will be huge cause that is what is missing, also WCB can be improved the movement so he can underlap and overlap better and more frequent.

Edited by avenger22

• 2 weeks later...

@GCVS00

Great work with this tactic!

I'm curious if in your second season you kept some of the most promising youngster at Inter (Zefi, Carboni bros, Owusu, etc.).

If so how did they develop? And did you retrain some of them to fit the tactic?

Cheers!

On 02/12/2023 at 11:36, Tangzila said:

@GCVS00

Great work with this tactic!

I'm curious if in your second season you kept some of the most promising youngster at Inter (Zefi, Carboni bros, Owusu, etc.).

If so how did they develop? And did you retrain some of them to fit the tactic?

Cheers!

Not the guy you asked, but Esposito and Carboni are must keeps. Others not so much.
I kept Fontanarosa for a season, he could be maybe used as a backup CB.

image.thumb.png.fe82ecccbcceae795b0f1b76805cbaf8.png

image.thumb.png.2057f4f2f81ecf2719dee70c378d77f2.png

image.thumb.png.bb41624966a444639119b16429fb8fbe.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...