How to make players play backwards and recycle possesion

I am finding it hard to make my players play the ball back to my CB's to recycle possesion in attack.

I find that players are always looking for the forward more risky pass.

I have tried pretty muvh everthing. Here is my current tactic.

image.png.9a256b0748ed58d4c049239aeefb38c1.png

In this situation i would love Diomande to play it back to my CB, but despite him being asked to play it short at take fewer risk he goes for the hard pass every time in these situations.

Instead of the less risky pass back to my CB

image.png.5422742c96670289d94cac1a077ee9f8.png

Any ideas how to fix this?

18 minutes ago, Hoffbeck said:

I am finding it hard to make my players play the ball back to my CB's to recycle possesion in attack.

I find that players are always looking for the forward more risky pass.

I have tried pretty muvh everthing. Here is my current tactic.

image.png.9a256b0748ed58d4c049239aeefb38c1.png

In this situation i would love Diomande to play it back to my CB, but despite him being asked to play it short at take fewer risk he goes for the hard pass every time in these situations.

Instead of the less risky pass back to my CB

image.png.5422742c96670289d94cac1a077ee9f8.png

Any ideas how to fix this?

Go into the PIs and drag around the meters so you instructs players to "pass it shorter." You'll need to drag around the teams passing directness to do it with everyone. The enganche is a ball magnet, so you might look to recreate him in a blank role if you're truly looking for the play to come out of the BPD.

SK(a) can boot the ball a lot too, a simple GK might do the trick. SK(d) comes without "take more risks."

@Hoffbeck  At the risk of "nerfing" your tactic, a couple of other things you could try

Lowering the mentality - this will encourage players to make safer choices on the ball so it'll increase the chances of players recycling the ball and less likely that they look ahead to make their passes 

Lose the AFs - AF's love to make those runs in behind the defence, you can see them both poised in that screenshot and your team will look to play those play in behind, regardless of everything else you ask of the team

4 hours ago, -Jef- said:

Also, PI 'take fewer risk' is excellent and my main way of selecting only those players that i want to recycle the ball. I have it on my IWB

Just a little heads up here:

• Take fewer risks" sometimes mean your players are just hoofing the ball if they feel there is a risk, so it can be a little counterproductive if you want to keep possession. 

16 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Just a little heads up here:

• Take fewer risks" sometimes mean your players are just hoofing the ball if they feel there is a risk, so it can be a little counterproductive if you want to keep possession. 

I know. Take fewer risk and having goalkeepr on SK means he is a magnet for the ball. So if anything he's gonna punt it to the keeper rather than make a risky pass to a striker. I'd rather have my players punt it than play a risky pass to congested middle

9 minutes ago, -Jef- said:

I know. Take fewer risk and having goalkeepr on SK means he is a magnet for the ball. So if anything he's gonna punt it to the keeper rather than make a risky pass to a striker. I'd rather have my players punt it than play a risky pass to congested middle

Are you saying a SK is a ball magnet? As far as I know he's not, unless something changed 

No offence to the OP, but that seems a set up that will naturally produce a direct approach whatever the instruction.

Positive is a high mentality that will look to take risks and "play forward" even with the modifications via TI's.

All the individual player roles will be looking to go forward. Sweeper Keeper on attack & BPD's with that mentality will likely launch it forward. You then have two midfield runners, two wide players who on auto with that mentality will be running and playing forward, the playmaker in the No.10 role so the "ball magnet" is further forward, plus two striker runners looking for the ball knocked into space.

Plus I note the TI of run with the ball, which will especially effect the wide players I'd have thought.

The instructions can only do so much, the mentality/roles/duties, to me, make direct play fairly inevitable.

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Are you saying a SK is a ball magnet? As far as I know he's not, unless something changed 

There is definitely a difference in how my defense plays from the back forward between GK and SK. Unless I am delusional just had placebo effect for the last 10 months.

6 hours ago, -Jef- said:

There is definitely a difference in how my defense plays from the back forward between GK and SK. Unless I am delusional just had placebo effect for the last 10 months.

I don't think there's anything in the ME maybe SK's are a bit more willing to come out so they're more available to pass to 

6 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I don't think there's anything in the ME maybe SK's are a bit more willing to out so they're more available to pass to 

It's probably that.