Bringing players through when you don't have an active second team

So this is something I frequently struggle with. I have found it fairly straightforward to bring in promising young players who can participate in the first team squad straight away, and they then develop through a combination of training, mentoring and game time. 

However it's bringing players through the youth system that is much harder. I saw some videos online which all talk about consistent player progression from the youth team to the u23 / B / second side and then finally to the senior team. But how do you deal with this if you do not have an active second team - so that's a huge gap in the club hierarchy. I know the second team plays "imaginary fixtures" - is that of the same value ie does it "count" as much as a regular league? Or once the players hit 18 and are too old for the youth team but not good enough for the seniors, is loaning them out then the only good option?

imo loaning players out, even to clubs in leagues you don’t have loaded, works much better than it used to.

Just ensure 2 things:  1) Check their coach report before loaning to see what playing level they are ready for; and 2) You loan them out to be at least a “Regular Starter”.

Don’t lend your players to clubs below their apparent playing level and don’t loan them to clubs where they’ll just sit on the subs bench.  Playing at a relevant level is important.

Example - one of my players at Milan is ready for Serie B.  I lent him to a club in the Danish First Division (which is not a league that I have loaded) as a Regular Starter.  He got plenty of playing time during the season and actually developed pretty well.

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

So this is something I frequently struggle with. I have found it fairly straightforward to bring in promising young players who can participate in the first team squad straight away, and they then develop through a combination of training, mentoring and game time. 

However it's bringing players through the youth system that is much harder. I saw some videos online which all talk about consistent player progression from the youth team to the u23 / B / second side and then finally to the senior team. But how do you deal with this if you do not have an active second team - so that's a huge gap in the club hierarchy. I know the second team plays "imaginary fixtures" - is that of the same value ie does it "count" as much as a regular league? Or once the players hit 18 and are too old for the youth team but not good enough for the seniors, is loaning them out then the only good option?

Over 18, make sure they get playing time with your club or as loanees. 

If you don't have the youth facilities in place for your u18 players their development will be hampered. 

11 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

If you don't have the youth facilities in place for your u18 players their development will be hampered. 

Youth Facilities are for the kids before they come into your team ie the U-10s, U15s and the like. The players in your youth team (U-21s, U-23s) will use the club's facilities  

22 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Youth Facilities are for the kids before they come into your team ie the U-10s, U15s and the like. The players in your youth team (U-21s, U-23s) will use the club's facilities  

:thup: sorry about that, poor wording here on my part. Just meant in general since they mentioned bits of their youth system missing.