can't create chances, not a lot of highlights even

mid table side, striving for Europe. nothings really clicking. usually we manage some nice passing to progess the ball forward then someone decides to punt it or play some non existent hollywood pass to nobody. we've only score from set pieces in 8 games against mostly similar sides and a couple goals from long balls behind while playing with an AF. tried CM/a RCM and DLP on support in a cup game against a smaller, we managed to create more but we were pushing more bodies forward and im thinking that would get punished in the league. 

1.PNG.c240feb7194eaa13169802e94dc039ba.PNG

The roles look alright, couldn't help but notice the Higher Tempo when you say your players make some silly passes, slowing it down (or at least removing the TI may help your players make better choices). Counter Press also stands out as an aggressive TI you may not need, so try experimenting with those to see if things improve    

3 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

The roles look alright, couldn't help but notice the Higher Tempo when you say your players make some silly passes, slowing it down (or at least removing the TI may help your players make better choices). Counter Press also stands out as an aggressive TI you may not need, so try experimenting with those to see if things improve    

tried it for a few games and still can't really create much. main issue i think is the lack of players attacking the box in the final third with the DLF offering himself as a passing option instead of being a goal scoring threat. if i want to keep playing a DLF, im guessing playing a CM/a or Mez/a instead of a Mez/s is my only option for more penetration in the final third cause my winger is purely just a dribbly boy

9 hours ago, thebreadlady said:

Usually, if your central striker is dropping off, you want the wide players to attack the box. So the first thing I would change is making the Winger an attack duty.
You also want all 5 channels occupied / attacked by your team. As the DLF is dropping off and moving into channels, you need someone to attack the central area of the pitch. Therefore I would change the Mezzala Role into a CM. Properbly as well with an attack duty, at least against weaker oppositions.
Remove play down the right. Personally, I only use that instruction situational, if I can spot a weakness in the oppositions formation.

Edited by CARRERA

42 minutes ago, thebreadlady said:

still unable to create anything, under .5 xg most games. 

Are Gonzalez and Bell stand out players for the level you're playing at? It's like a Son-Kane partnership you've got going on there and obviously, they're the attacking threat and higher quality players for Spurs

11 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Are Gonzalez and Bell stand out players for the level you're playing at? It's like a Son-Kane partnership you've got going on there and obviously, they're the attacking threat and higher quality players for Spurs

bell is a wonderkid but not a standout yet, gonzalez lacks dribbling and strength. 

21 hours ago, thebreadlady said:

mid table side, striving for Europe. nothings really clicking. usually we manage some nice passing to progess the ball forward then someone decides to punt it or play some non existent hollywood pass to nobody. we've only score from set pieces in 8 games against mostly similar sides and a couple goals from long balls behind while playing with an AF. tried CM/a RCM and DLP on support in a cup game against a smaller, we managed to create more but we were pushing more bodies forward and im thinking that would get punished in the league. 

Is this FM 22?

4 hours ago, lied90 said:

Is this FM 22?

FM21

17 hours ago, CARRERA said:

Usually, if your central striker is dropping off, you want the wide players to attack the box. So the first thing I would change is making the Winger an attack duty.
You also want all 5 channels occupied / attacked by your team. As the DLF is dropping off and moving into channels, you need someone to attack the central area of the pitch. Therefore I would change the Mezzala Role into a CM. Properbly as well with an attack duty, at least against weaker oppositions.
Remove play down the right. Personally, I only use that instruction situational, if I can spot a weakness in the oppositions formation.

my winger is really just a dribbly boy, very high dribbling and speed and crossing, really poor finishing. wide players in FM are just a joke, they beat their man then wait for them to catch up just to slam a cross into them. the amount of times hes in space to cross and doesn't makes me wanna rage quit. 

CM/a + DLF/a hasnt been much better but + PF/a or AF has created more chances and penetration, maybe i need a truly world class DLF/a to make it work. 

im using play down right to open up a cross field switch to the LW who has gets forward whenever, gets in box, breaks offside trap, and my RCM and RB both have +14 passing, technique, and likes to switch ball. 

vor 16 Stunden schrieb thebreadlady:

my winger is really just a dribbly boy, very high dribbling and speed and crossing, really poor finishing. wide players in FM are just a joke, they beat their man then wait for them to catch up just to slam a cross into them. the amount of times hes in space to cross and doesn't makes me wanna rage quit. 

This is really a FM21 issue.

i’d say move on to FM23

If your winger is just a winger let him play it his way and try to offer him a target in the center. Put an IW/ IF on the other side and it should create more chances. Next you improve the middle like MEZs on the side of your winger and a holding role to cover.

9 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

This is really a FM21 issue.

i’d say move on to FM23

hard disagree. +500 hours in fm22, it has the same issues that are in many previous fm games that they just refuse to fix. 

9 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

If your winger is just a winger let him play it his way and try to offer him a target in the center. Put an IW/ IF on the other side and it should create more chances. Next you improve the middle like MEZs on the side of your winger and a holding role to cover.

so i'll probably have to play an advanced forward type i guess cause i prefer 2 support duty CMs. my Mez/s has really good attributes and already has gets forward whenever, beats offside trap, gets in opposition box yet still doesn't offer enough penetration but on attack duty just mindlessly bombs forward. 

What I would do is:

• Instead of playing with a fairly narrow width change to  fairly wide. This will allow your outer players to push up and support your attacks.
  • Move up your defensive line and the line of engagement by one notch to compress the space in front of you and limit the opponent's options.
  • Encourage your deep-lying playmaker (DLP) to make more direct passes and take more risks. After all, the DLP is your team's playmaker.
  • Instead of using a deep-lying forward (DLF), consider using an advanced forward (AF). The AF excels at making runs behind the defense and creating scoring opportunities.
Edited by ultrAslan

ive switched my RCM to a CM/a and kept my DLF/a. still can't create chances unless i play with an AF :mad:, just relying on being clinical and scoring every tiny chance we get. i've brought in a really good IF and he keeps getting 6.1-ish rating every game. i hate AFs in FM, they're overpowered, you dont need a brain to score playing an AF, i've always scored way more than i should've with an AF. my AF at my last club scored 192 goals in 257 games and the guy did NOT have the attributes to do so. 

1.PNG.9e1fc72dc68441518ccbf6a02eef65da.PNG

3 hours ago, thebreadlady said:

ive switched my RCM to a CM/a and kept my DLF/a. still can't create chances unless i play with an AF :mad:, just relying on being clinical and scoring every tiny chance we get. i've brought in a really good IF and he keeps getting 6.1-ish rating every game. i hate AFs in FM, they're overpowered, you dont need a brain to score playing an AF, i've always scored way more than i should've with an AF. my AF at my last club scored 192 goals in 257 games and the guy did NOT have the attributes to do so. 

Ok you got a point for the AF! But did you tried the other options I mentioned?

30 minutes ago, ultrAslan said:

Ok you got a point for the AF! But did you tried the other options I mentioned?

yes, fairly wide + DLP instructions + higher LOE but left DL on standard as my CBs are on the slower side. no luck

trying attacking mentality now, still not creating chances but am somehow scoring more for example 2 goals from .1 xg and barely did anything all game, 4 goals in another match from .86 xg. we're just not creating chances ourselves. 

Adding more Attack duties doesn't = more goals, more chances, more highlights etc

I thought your original lineup looked fine, now you've changed them and dropped the team mentality and left in the Higher Tempo

Can see you're a mid table team, alone DLF might not be as effective vs the top half vs the bottom half. Top half are more likely to play on higher mentalities and push their backlines up which is ideal for an AF, P, PF etc. Bottom half are more likely to play on lower mentalities where a striker with more movement might be more useful. Analyst reports of the opposition will help gauge this because form and other things will comes into play here    

Who are the stand out players in the team and what can they do? If Mendoza is fast, mobile and has striker like attributes, he should be flourishing in your set up 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/05/2023 at 16:50, thebreadlady said:

tried it for a few games and still can't really create much. main issue i think is the lack of players attacking the box in the final third with the DLF offering himself as a passing option instead of being a goal scoring threat. if i want to keep playing a DLF, im guessing playing a CM/a or Mez/a instead of a Mez/s is my only option for more penetration in the final third cause my winger is purely just a dribbly boy

If it is the lack of players attacking in the box, it could be several issues.

1. First of all you're playing on the counter, I'm not sure 433 really fits a counter attacking approach. You have few players in the attacking third, so it will take time before your players even reach the box. By turning on counter your players might move up the ball quicker up the pitch than your players can enter the box. You might want to try to switch your BWM to a box-to-box, and turn off counter. Moreover, you have higher tempo, maybe reduce this to standard or slow to give players the time to run into to attacking third.

2. There seems to be a lack of synergy on the left. You have a IF on attack and the only player close to him is the DLF. Here also switching the BWM to a box to box might offer more support to the IF. You could also try to switch the BWM with the CM-A, if you want to keep the BWM.

3. It is usually recommended to have 1 player on support and 1 on attack on the wings. This reduces the gap between them and gives more option for passing combinations.