Buy FM23 or wait..

After taking a couple of years off post covid I'm feeling the FM itch. Latest version I have is FM21, played the FM23 demo and there is something about the matchday dynamics that appeal to me. Haven't hit on what exactly but going back to FM21 just didn't feel as lively. If anyone else can put it to words may help me with my decision. Do I somehow find something else to do until FM24 or do I take the plunge on 23 ?

Other than paying full price (I know terrible timing but when the bug bites I have no control) only concern I have coming out of the demo are number of goals scored/conceded via crosses. Have had a couple of goals up the middle. Could be my tactics, my players (I'm playing as Forrest Green) so looking for feedback from the community on gameplay variety. Are you able to use different tactics effectively ? Do the AI controlled teams have diverse on pitch playstyles ? 

33 minutes ago, 2feet said:

you dont need to buy a new mobile phone every year and you dont need to buy FM every year either.

Right,  I noted I the most current version I have FM21 so already doing this. Thoughts on how games play out on FM23 appreciated. I'm mostly comfortable with off field features/issues. 

4 hours ago, whyidie said:

After taking a couple of years off post covid I'm feeling the FM itch. Latest version I have is FM21, played the FM23 demo and there is something about the matchday dynamics that appeal to me. Haven't hit on what exactly but going back to FM21 just didn't feel as lively. If anyone else can put it to words may help me with my decision. Do I somehow find something else to do until FM24 or do I take the plunge on 23 ?

Other than paying full price (I know terrible timing but when the bug bites I have no control) only concern I have coming out of the demo are number of goals scored/conceded via crosses. Have had a couple of goals up the middle. Could be my tactics, my players (I'm playing as Forrest Green) so looking for feedback from the community on gameplay variety. Are you able to use different tactics effectively ? Do the AI controlled teams have diverse on pitch playstyles ? 

As always, the most loud are the people on the extreme sides of any view. Anyone who only has glowing reviews or only doom and gloom should be taken with a pinch of salt. The truth is most likely somewhere in the middle. As in any topic on the internet remove the 20% most happy and the 20% most angry and you'll have a much more reliant sample size for just about everything! :D 

Personally, I think the game is always moving forward and improving, but not always has focus on the things that are important to me. The new features in FM23 is mostly not my favourites, and I also think the game is lacking some polish on a few areas I would have liked to see. But the match engine is the best it's ever been, even with a few niggles here and there, but nothing that can't be mitigated with some tactical stuff. If you need someone to have a look at your tactic to see if it's something there, I'm sure @Johnny Acewon't mind having a look, as the resident tactical expert, I mean! ;) 

In terms of use of different styles, I think it's more variety now than ever before, and the AI also change things up more than before and are more reactive, so if we compare it to an older version, I'd expect it to feel improved, but still have room to grow in the future.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

As always, the most loud are the people on the extreme sides of any view. Anyone who only has glowing reviews or only doom and gloom should be taken with a pinch of salt. The truth is most likely somewhere in the middle. As in any topic on the internet remove the 20% most happy and the 20% most angry and you'll have a much more reliant sample size for just about everything! :D 

So true. Finding the measured voices is the hard part. 

1 hour ago, XaW said:

Personally, I think the game is always moving forward and improving, but not always has focus on the things that are important to me. The new features in FM23 is mostly not my favourites, and I also think the game is lacking some polish on a few areas I would have liked to see. But the match engine is the best it's ever been, even with a few niggles here and there, but nothing that can't be mitigated with some tactical stuff. If you need someone to have a look at your tactic to see if it's something there, I'm sure @Johnny Acewon't mind having a look, as the resident tactical expert, I mean! ;) 

Oh I'm not nearly ready for sound advice.  I usually start off with my own terrible tactics, then over to the forums once I've given up on my 3CB with no fullbacks/wingbacks and am ready to listen to reason. Only to read the threads let my bias takeover and become convinced that I can make it work with two DM's and proper man marking. Then back to the forums ready to adopt a 4 something only to stumble across a thread that gets me infatuated with the idea of a libero....

2 hours ago, XaW said:

In terms of use of different styles, I think it's more variety now than ever before, and the AI also change things up more than before and are more reactive, so if we compare it to an older version, I'd expect it to feel improved, but still have room to grow in the future.

Tempting...

7 hours ago, whyidie said:

Oh I'm not nearly ready for sound advice.  I usually start off with my own terrible tactics, then over to the forums once I've given up on my 3CB with no fullbacks/wingbacks and am ready to listen to reason. Only to read the threads let my bias takeover and become convinced that I can make it work with two DM's and proper man marking. Then back to the forums ready to adopt a 4 something only to stumble across a thread that gets me infatuated with the idea of a libero....

Well, I'm still using the tactic I created for FM17 and have used ever since with minor tweaks and it has worked in every FM since. I'm not great at creating tactics, I mean, I can handle it, but that's not my favourite part of the game, so I mostly keep to the same thing I created years ago and just tweak it to fit the team, since it plays how I like and I'm usually just about overachieving with it. I especially like it since I like clean sheets. I've also found that not being as aggressive on the ball is better in this version of FM. The super attacking, pushing everyone forward, gung ho type play is much more likely to be countered by the AI now, and I do like that it's not as easy to exploit things.

pJrEo5W.png

This is my current iteration btw, and the results have been good so far (I'm expected to get relegated)

Hy4acU3.png

Still, early days, but I find we are controlling matches fine and not conceding much. Still a bit reliant on the striker having a good day, but it's how it is for now.

3 minutes ago, d d said:

Do you have player instructions with this tactic?

Rarely. I some times ask the left back to stay wider, and sometimes ask the CM-A to move into channels, but nothing more than that.

7 minutes ago, d d said:

So Players Instructions don't get touch, looks good, i might try this with. iI wonder if if works Vanarama National North?

I had some success with it. I mean, it's not an exploit tactic, but just something I've made work. It does rely on your striker scoring most of the goals, so if he is having a bad day, you might be struggling. I often change things up here and there if I see something is not working. A few things I try is:

• Changing the BWM to a B2B
  • Changing the IF to either AP or IW at times
  • If we dominate and the opponent DON'T play an AM and one striker, I sometimes change the HB to a Regista, but that makes it more vulnerable to counters, so be careful about this. Also that works better for better players.
  • If the left back does not come into play enough, you can try a CWB, but that roams a bit, so it can be an issue if the RW of the opponent is good and in focus...
  • If we have a lot of the ball, but few shots, I can remove work the ball into the box (especially if I have a striker with good aerial ability to get more crosses in), or up the tempo a tick.

Those are are a few of the tweaks I sometimes do, but they can either be helpful or make us worse, it depends on the opposition and the flow of the game, so it's based on experience, and trial and error.

In response to the OP: It took me some time to adapt to it, but I find I like the FM23 ME better than any previous version. One of the aspects I like the best is that one must pay attention during matches and manage substitutions wisely (translation: make sure the backs don’t get too tuckered out). You also need to pay attention to changes in play by the AI opponent. With a good 6 months before FM24 comes out, I recommend picking up FM23.

@whyidie perhaps also consider your budget. FM23 will go on sale and only get lower in price.  FM24 will hit at full price and remain that way until about this time next year.  If you are happy paying full price and can wait til roughly November, then perhaps wait.  if you are like me, a bit of a thrifty shopper for games, then perhaps wait for a sale and get FMN23.

Edit.  I picked up FM23 in the last sale and I am happy with it.  The criticisms I have seen on youtube have been more about how much it has developed rather than particular issues.

Edited by Andros