[FM23] Newcastle United F.C. - The race for top 4!

Newcastle United F.C.

Newcastle United Logo PNG vector in SVG, PDF, AI, CDR format

Newcastle United Football Club is an English professional football club based in Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear. The club competes in the Premier League, the highest level of the English football league system. The club was founded in 1892 by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End. The team play their home matches at St James' Park in the Centre of Newcastle, which has a capacity of 52,404.

Newcastle United to trial safe standing at St James' Park in 2023-24 season  - BBC Sport

The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but three years of the competition's history, spending 90 seasons in the top flight as of May 2022, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893. Newcastle have won four League titles, six FA Cups and a FA Charity Shield, as well as the 1968–69 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, the ninth-highest total of trophies won by an English club. The club's most successful period was between 1904 and 1910, when they won an FA Cup and three of their League titles. Their last major trophy was in 1955More recently the club have been League or FA Cup runners-up on four occasions in the 1990s. Newcastle was relegated in 2009, and again in 2016. The club won promotion at the first time of asking each time, returning to the Premier League, as Championship winners, in 2010 and 2017.

HonoursNUFC.png.9eed897845643c60e0065b94942da4a2.png

The club was owned by Mike Ashley from 2007 until 2021, who succeeded long-term chairman Sir John Hall. The club is the 17th-highest revenue producing club in the world in terms of annual revenue, generating €169.3 million in 2015. Newcastle's highest placing was in 1999, when they were the fifth-highest revenue producing football club in the world, and second in England only behind Manchester United. On 7 October 2021, the club was bought for £300 million by a consortium led by the Saudi Arabian government's sovereign wealth fund. The purchase made Newcastle the richest club in the Premier League. Since this point Newcastle United have gone from strength to strength and have gone from relegation candidates last season, to top 4 challengers, whilst also reaching the Carabao Cup Final.

BoardVision.png.2d54609788487dffbe62d6ebf0ad2431.png

ClubSupporters.thumb.png.c57bc8e0dade179e1e73b54e428557db.png

Stadium: St. James' Park

Capacity: 52,404

Training Facilities: Average

Youth Facilities: Average

Junior Coaching: Adequate

Youth Recruitment: Above Average

Finances: Rich

Overall Balance: £151m

Transfer Budget: £40m

Wage Budget: £2.85m

Available Wage Budget: £550k

The Squad

Squad.thumb.png.4337e93b8c19dcd4f3ca50510864c644.png

The potential for Newcastle United is huge, but can you harness that potential and really take them places? It won't be easy, because since when was the Premier League ever easy?

I was surprised that nobody made a thread for Newcastle this year, so I thought I'd go ahead of do it myself. I would like to point out that I'm not a Newcastle United supporter, so I have had to look at the previous years thread for inspiration, but I do love the project which is why I'm starting a save with them!

I will edit this post later with more in depth transfer ideas, potential staff and whatever else we may come up with that could help people. I hope you guys join me in the journey!

Me.png.722814c1c72cdc52bdfc6ebcc2c6e771.png

Players Out

I am looking to cut down on the wage budget in the first season, considering any players that I will bring in will most likely bring it back up again, so here is a list of players up for sale!

• Mark Gillespie
  • Martin Dubravka
  • Paul Dummett
  • Matty Longstaff
  • Matt Ritchie
  • Jacob Murphy
  • Rodrigo Vilca
  • Harrison Ashby
  • Amadou Diallo
  • Chris Wood (already leaving)

Potential Players In

I am aware of defensive vulnerabilities within the squad, it doesn't look to me like a defense that can mount a good challenge in the premier league, so I am going to focus on that this season.

• Alessandro Bastoni (CB)
  • Milan Skriniar (CB)
  • Federico Dimarco (LB / CB)
  • Alex Scott (DM / CM / AMC)
  • Teun Koopmeiners (DM / CM)

Inter Milan will hate me right now, but they have the perfect 3 players to go alongside Kieran Trippier! The question is, can I get hold of all 3 players with the current budget restrictions, and potentially all 5? This season I will use a transfer route I'm not particularly fond of, but that I feel is necessary at this early stage and that is to pay in installments. From next season I will put a ban on myself from using that method, so from season 2 we live within our means only.

What happens to Sven Botman? Well he will still allow me good squad rotation, but I actually plan to make him a defensive midfielder if possible. You will see why when you see my Home game tactic...

The 'Home' game tactic is basically a different formation with the same sort of instructions as the away tactic, but having tested both, I feel the home tactic scores more at home than the away and the 'Away' game tactic is more solid defensively for away games than the home tactic. For those who may wonder, yes the away tactic is downloaded from RDF, I just renamed it appropriately, but the home formation is one that I did myself, but in keeping with RDF's tactic style.

I also think that having 2 different formations will provide me with better rotation hopefully.

HomeTactic.png.4fb3b50f58a26b08797b5e3d98c0f808.pngAwayTactic.png.8c139f8fe37cc18293ceb7f14f41f52a.png

15 minutes ago, Welshace said:

No room for ASM?

ASM should have been in the Away game tactic, but I accidently left Wilson in the line-up :lol:

Also that is just a rough first 11, it's not the exact 11 i'll be going with most games, all depends on how well they train and play :)

Pre-Season

Pre-Season.png.e3402e512747b8044ae7180ce72d6b67.png

I decided to go with a pre-season focused on morale boosting ahead of the season and I definitely feel we achieved what I'd hoped for :)

On the transfer front, we managed to sign everyone that we wanted, but it took some real negotiation to get it done! Teun Koopmeiners had to wait until later into pre-season whilst I sold players to get the funds together. Skriniar was our most expensive acquisition and here are the details...

Skriniar.png.74796c6ece971b05e96dbe0621f01ccc.png

Upcoming Fixtures

Fixtures.png.60971be0697752924df80a1cd1698e8e.png

We have some matches here that I fully expect us to win, but the Liverpool game will be a real test for sure.

Newcastle on FM23 is a lot of fun as the owners just keep on pumping in money so you can literally sign players like Victor Ormishon and the Georgian player from Napoli like I did for Newcastle in season 2 and the board just give you more money.

I got bored after a few seasons because it was just too easy.

31 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Newcastle on FM23 is a lot of fun as the owners just keep on pumping in money so you can literally sign players like Victor Ormishon and the Georgian player from Napoli like I did for Newcastle in season 2 and the board just give you more money.

I got bored after a few seasons because it was just too easy.

I suppose I'll have to set myself targets as I progress. Victor Osimhen would be a dream alongside Isak! He's scored 9 goals in 4 games.

By the way has anyone tried Gordon as a striker? He scored 13 goals in pre-season, albeit against weak opposition and has literally just saved our skin in the Carabao Cup with 1 goals and 2 assists.

4 minutes ago, MichaelNevo said:

I suppose I'll have to set myself targets as I progress. Victor Osimhen would be a dream alongside Isak! He's scored 9 goals in 4 games.

By the way has anyone tried Gordon as a striker? He scored 13 goals in pre-season, albeit against weak opposition and has literally just saved our skin in the Carabao Cup with 1 goals and 2 assists.

Ormishon was interested in joining Newcastle in season one for me but FFP wouldn't let me sign him. 

Gordon was rubbish for me so I sold him in season 2.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Ormishon was interested in joining Newcastle in season one for me but FFP wouldn't let me sign him. 

Gordon was rubbish for me so I sold him in season 2.

Yeah I noticed he was interested, but I didn't feel like a striker was needed as such in the first season, the front line is pretty decent as it is. 

Had a really great start to the season, I was a little disappointed with the Wolves game, but despite 10 extra shots, we didn't deserve a win, although a draw was definitely deserved.

Fixtures1.png.183b0942317b169da26469695140d9cd.png

The highlight for me so far was the Burnley game and for a very good reason. My team selection was really poor, I didn't factor in that we were playing away and within 24 minutes Burnley were 2-0 up. I made 2 substitutions in the 28th minute and moved some players around in the formation... It worked an absolute treat!

Burnley.png.a2c30557e3beaa9b551473fe5d9b6a7e.png

By the way, what happened to Chelsea??????

Table.png.02eb887e741cdd91a6a127a8f7c65884.png

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the season so far...

OCTNOV.png.db6e51105c7ec10657d85501ca51ec0c.png

The Man City game has to be a defining moment in our season so far for sure, we had some tough results in October, but we did brilliantly to start November with a massive win. We didn't just beat them, we actually played better than them and kept the Premier Leagues top goalscorer quiet for the entire game (Erling Haaland).

ManCity.png.f94171a2390fe82cdfb0f49e839ea382.png

City.thumb.png.67a98a8b1bc0d5418cb2011d0e9f47a2.png

Guys how are you using Guimares? I want him to be the best player on the team and the heart.

I have him as a DM and a Roaming playmaker with 2 people in front of him, but i dont think he affects the game that much?

9 hours ago, n1mez said:

Guys how are you using Guimares? I want him to be the best player on the team and the heart.

I have him as a DM and a Roaming playmaker with 2 people in front of him, but i dont think he affects the game that much?

I use him as a Ball Winning Midfielder (Support) in the DM position. It all depends on your tactic really as a whole, if the rest of the team doesn't player well or work well together, then Bruno will struggle also.

hello ı started out wıth newcastle and ıts goıng great :) ım gonna wın the league ın fırst season.6 games to play and ım ahead of the second place wıth 8 poınts :) my aım was qualıfıyıng for the europe but thıngs went much much better.At the start of the season we wın some games wıth not playıng good but 3 poınts ıs 3 poınts :) half of the season board gave me extra budget ı spent ıt to upgrade the mıdfıeld optıons and left back.Isak ıs great he ıs racıng wıth haaland for top goalscorer.ı demand upgrade facılıtıes and they accepted there are some good talents ın fırst youth ıntake :) we are playıng 433

1 hour ago, dido53 said:

hello ı started out wıth newcastle and ıts goıng great :) ım gonna wın the league ın fırst season.6 games to play and ım ahead of the second place wıth 8 poınts :) my aım was qualıfıyıng for the europe but thıngs went much much better.At the start of the season we wın some games wıth not playıng good but 3 poınts ıs 3 poınts :) half of the season board gave me extra budget ı spent ıt to upgrade the mıdfıeld optıons and left back.Isak ıs great he ıs racıng wıth haaland for top goalscorer.ı demand upgrade facılıtıes and they accepted there are some good talents ın fırst youth ıntake :) we are playıng 433

How much budget they gave half way through the season? Made transfers? 

14 saat önce, ThanatosAFC said:

How much budget they gave half way through the season? Made transfers? 

ıf ı remember rıght they gave me around 75. ı asked board to sıgn pobega from milan and dimarco from inter and they did ı also sıgned josıp sutalo and renato sanches and alex scott for now.I am tryıng to approach lıke eddıe howe and not sellıng all the deadwood at once or sıgn everyone ı thınk mıdfıeld are weak and unfortunately bruno plays below average every game joelınton gets red cards only wıllock plays average. now three games to play and ım up by 9 poınts board gave me 132 mıllıon euros for now

9 hours ago, dido53 said:

ıf ı remember rıght they gave me around 75. ı asked board to sıgn pobega from milan and dimarco from inter and they did ı also sıgned josıp sutalo and renato sanches and alex scott for now.I am tryıng to approach lıke eddıe howe and not sellıng all the deadwood at once or sıgn everyone ı thınk mıdfıeld are weak and unfortunately bruno plays below average every game joelınton gets red cards only wıllock plays average. now three games to play and ım up by 9 poınts board gave me 132 mıllıon euros for now

That's a pretty heavy budget, Scott & Sutalo are must buys for any club imo. 

21 saat önce, ThanatosAFC said:

That's a pretty heavy budget, Scott & Sutalo are must buys for any club imo. 

yes ıt ıs but ı got weırd offers also.ı got good offers for murphy and fraser(he played a lot) around 40 50 mıllıons from saudı arabıa and ı sell both of them and most of the unneeded players.My maın problem ıs ın 2th season botman gets sent off every 4 games  most of the players plays average and opp teams play deep ı cant break them 

Board wants to ıncrease commercıal revenue by sıgnıng bıg names at the end of fırst season ılkay gundogan was free ı sıgned hım :) also at the halfway 2nd season ı sıgned pogba(hope he makes some contrıbutıon) and grealısh ıs lısted maybe ı take a look at hım :)

• 4 weeks later...

Personally when managing Newcastle I'd prefer to keep the smart transfer approach that has served them so well up until this point. Mixing "gems" like Guimaraes with smart young elite talents like Isak is the way to go. 

Buying the big names like Skriniar will only turn you into a new Chelsea.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, thebigfella said:

Anyone doing a Toon save on fm 24? Got into second season after finishing 4th and my save game corrupted so starting again! Looking at Sulë or la Normand to partner Botman. Any suggestions? 

Yeah I am half way through season 1 as I am managing Newcastle in a Twitch/Youtube series I am doing.

Wilson has been a bit rubbish for me as well as Sean Longstaff.

I bought in Brahim Diaz who has been amazing.

Newcastle have a good starting line up but the squad does need some improving. 

I just hope the owner gives me a decent budget in season 2. 

Did you get any extra money for transfers in January of the first season?

47 minutes ago, thebigfella said:

Yeah got 70 million in the January then 240 million 2nd season. What’s your YouTube channel love a Newcastle fm series 

Nice one. I look forward to getting the extra money. I want to bring in Victor Ormishon and Kvadona from Napoli.

I stream on Twitch the Newcastle save. Here is my Twitch channel - luchafm - Twitch

My Youtube channel also has my streams with Newcastle on there if you prefer viewing on there. 

My Youtube is also Lucha FM. Here is my Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@LuchaFM

After Xmas is out the way I will be streaming most days of the week.