The double pivot role

Hi Guys

I really struggle to find the correct combo of my double pivot.
I like using Reg./SV because then I create a lot of chances. But I also concede a lot of goals.
When I use RPM/SV my RPM (Tonali) doesnt perform so well and we are not as creative as when I use the Reg/SV.
Switching to DLP,DM or BWM doesnt create nearly as many chances. What would you do?

Skærmbillede (30).png

Edited by ThomasHK1979

26 minutes ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

Hi Guys

I really struggle to find the correct combo of my double pivot.
I like using Reg./SV because then I create a lot of chances. But I also concede a lot of goals.

I would fully expect that to be honest 

Both are interesting roles, if using one of them, I like to pair them up with a more solid and defensive role

A DM/Anchor and a Regista

or 

A DM/DLP and a Volante for example 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I would fully expect that to be honest 

Both are interesting roles, if using one of them, I like to pair them up with a more solid and defensive role

A DM/Anchor and a Regista

or 

A DM/DLP and a Volante for example 

But I seem to not create as much tbh. You would pair a DM/Reg. ? DM is without holding?

It’s always about finding the right balance between creating chances and protecting space for what you are trying to achieve. It may even vary from opposition to opposition. 

Personally I would want to have at least one player to protect the space in front of the defense, especially if I play with rather aggressive wingbacks.

Regista/SV is a midfield combo I've been using for years. What I tend to do is adapt them depending on how we're playing and where we are. If we're looking to see out a game then the Regista becomes a Defensive midfielder or DLP. If I'm going for it my SV goes to attack. I think it was last year or the year before that RPM was better than Regista defensively and created as much but that is not the case this year. Personally I would look at the roles you're giving your wide players and try and stagger support/attack duties across the board. Also remember a lower mentality will make your players take less passing risks so defensive/very defensive will mean the Regista is a bit more circumspect in their passing options but still attempt those Regista passes you'll want.

A few comments:

Your tactic does seem a bit "fragile": you have both IF and IW bombing forward combined with two wingbacks on support, who will also come forward quite a lot. This indicates to me that you (should) also be conceiving quite a lot of goals on the counter? Your average ratings also doesnt seem too good by the looks of it?

This combined with 2 pivot roles that are both on support would leave a lot of room for opponents to explore.

I suggest making Dest a FB on support. I mean, he is not such a wonder in terms of attacking anyway.

Tonali is your creative outlet in midfield, but he is right footed and you have placed him to the left. Maybe switch them and then i would suggest making him a DLP(s) with Pobega being a CM(d). He is not that good a player so i would keep it more simple with him in a holding role.

You could also consider adding "move into channels" for Diaz, in order for him to move into channels next to Giroud, maybe that could make your side more dangerous and allow more forward runs for Tonali to hit with his passing. With the current setup of both Tonali and Diaz moving into the spaces between midfield and defence, maybe the reason why you dont perceive Tonali as dangerous enough is because he ends up too close to Diaz (also in supporting role) thereby ending up passing short passes to him instead. Getting Diaz more in as an attacking outlet could leave more space for Tonali acting a more pivotal role for your team.

Consider adding "stay wider" for Saelemaekers, in order for him to create the necessary width now that Dest will play a bit more conservative. This will pull opposing defenders wide and make room for Giroud and the runs from Diaz and Leao.

Edited by molsen

• 1 month later...

With this setup, which role would you use for Tonali?

Giroud - CFa
Leao - IFs
Diaz - Treq
Messias - IWs
Pobega - SVs
Tonali - Regista/RPM (For some reason I am never able to make the RPM role work)
Theo H. - CWBa
Kjær - BPDd
Tomori - BPDd
Kalulu - WBa
Maignan - SKs