Struggling to create chances with 4-2-3-1

Hey, I have been struggling to create chances while using my 4-2-3-1. I've been a constant play off side for the past 3 seasons in the championship however only manage to win games by a one goal scoreline typically or dominate and end up losing/drawing 1-1 or 0-1.

I have tinkered around with it, changing roles, instructions here and there but can't really figure it out. Not really sure if there is any claring mistakes or if its just down poor players, either way some advice would be nice as have been struggling tactically the past few FM's.

Also would like to create a 4-3-3 to partner this tactic for tougher teams/shutting up shop so to speak, any advice with that would also be helpful to fit the same sort of roles (mainly midfield i imagine).

Thank you.

8ec12b456857bd70adfa4c9075e9143b.png

Some ideas:

1. Try 2 DM spots instead of CM. I find they position a lot better.
  2. A SV(a) with the right attributes (especially physical ones) will pop up in the box for 10+ goals a season.
  3. Pairing an A(d) with the SV provides nice balance and enables you to use an aggressive WB(a) or CWB(a) role on that same side.
  4. I would use an AP in the AMC spot if using a SV/A combo.
  5. Give your fullback(s) cross more and dribble more instructions if they are good at it.
  6. I've never had luck in FM23 with the winger role. IW and IF seem to deliver better results, even if playing on the same side as their preferred foot. I like to have the IF/IW players "sit narrow" to help get them into the attack.
  7. Offsetting the AMC and ST can help create more movement and uncertainty for your opposition.

Your tactic is very patient - meaning your players are looking for the perfect opportunities. Unless they are far superior than your opposition chances are likely to be limited.

If it was me I'd try removing 'work ball into box' and pushing the passing range upto standard. If your forwards have good speed & movement maybe even try pass into space. 

I'd also play on a more positive mentality. 

Also I'm not sure about regroup when you're using a high press. What's your thinking with that TI?

I will do some small change to see how things go. 

1, Change the BWM to support and DLP to defend, the BWM has to step up more since the 2 roles in front of him are high up in the pitch. 

Change one of the CB to CBP. 

2, Remove work into box  , instead use focus play on left to release your right flank .   

Remove overlap right and be more expressive. 

On 06/03/2023 at 04:35, silentwars said:

Your tactic is very patient - meaning your players are looking for the perfect opportunities. Unless they are far superior than your opposition chances are likely to be limited.

If it was me I'd try removing 'work ball into box' and pushing the passing range upto standard.

I think this is all you need changing.

People have to remember that WTBITB is not so much about stopping the wasteful long shots as much as it is about patient build up.