How to beat weaker opponants

Hi yall,

I am currently playing as Chester in the VNN and am first place by a large margin. I do, however (as in all my saves) struggle against really really bad opponents (like 20+ places below me). I looked on reddit and found some tips such as turning on run at defense, moving more players up front etc... which resulted in me going from getting FMed every game against bad teams to getting utterly dominated by the worst team in the league who had 3 (now 4) wins in 35 games.

I currently run a 1-2-2-1-4 high pressing tactic. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, phantombandit said:

Hi yall,

I am currently playing as Chester in the VNN and am first place by a large margin. I do, however (as in all my saves) struggle against really really bad opponents (like 20+ places below me). I looked on reddit and found some tips such as turning on run at defense, moving more players up front etc... which resulted in me going from getting FMed every game against bad teams to getting utterly dominated by the worst team in the league who had 3 (now 4) wins in 35 games.

I currently run a 1-2-2-1-4 high pressing tactic. Any suggestions?

Reddit has pretty poor advice I think. "Run at the Defence" is a PI I'd never use, particularly in the VNN. You're far better off telling specific players in their PIs to run more with the ball.

This is a general idea, not knowing what your squad is good at. But for weaker oppositions turn the tempo down, move lines up, and look to stretch the pitch.

Make sure your boys have good morale and you should be fine. 

Edited by Cloud9

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2023 at 02:42, Tyburn said:

Ha. I was thinking the same thing with the formation format. Otherwise that’s a seriously offensive tactic!

2nd slowing the tempo down.

Yea I switched it around. I just dont know what to do tho. Zealand has been playing this game for years and he is still running into the same problem with his FM save, and I never remember this happening in last years game.

On 19/02/2023 at 22:27, Cloud9 said:

Reddit has pretty poor advice I think. "Run at the Defence" is a PI I'd never use, particularly in the VNN. You're far better off telling specific players in their PIs to run more with the ball.

This is a general idea, not knowing what your squad is good at. But for weaker oppositions turn the tempo down, move lines up, and look to stretch the pitch.

Make sure your boys have good morale and you should be fine. 

Tried that, still lost my last three games against teams 20+ positions below me.

2 hours ago, phantombandit said:

still lost my last three games against teams 20+ positions below me.

Maybe share your tactics. It can help people to better understand what might be inefficient in your setup.

Usually there is not „one option“ to tick and win. Several things need to complement each other to make a good tactic. And you might not be far off if you are leading the league by quite a margin.

On 01/03/2023 at 16:50, CARRERA said:

Maybe share your tactics. It can help people to better understand what might be inefficient in your setup.

Usually there is not „one option“ to tick and win. Several things need to complement each other to make a good tactic. And you might not be far off if you are leading the league by quite a margin.

https://beta.fm-base.co.uk/tactics/23.1.0/amazinghindle-original-605427-7319 is the tactic I am currently using. Really good against everything except really bad teams.