Defending your own channels?

Is there a way to get your team defending horizontally compact enough such that the channels between your own defenders can’t be exploited by the other team? I’ve tried funnel outside and invite crosses but it hasn’t had the desired result. Can it be done or is it something that you just have to live with?

Defending narrow will make your FBs tuck in and help shut down inside channels at the expense of crosses to your penalty area thus requiring your defenders to be able to defend them but this is ultimately affected by your choice of role distribution and TIs/PIs. Posting your system will help a lot.

33 minutes ago, frukox said:

Defending narrow will make your FBs tuck in and help shut down inside channels at the expense of crosses to your penalty area thus requiring your defenders to be able to defend them but this is ultimately affected by your choice of role distribution and TIs/PIs. Posting your system will help a lot.

I was actually wondering about the same thing in  my attempt to create Mourinho's Porto inspired narrow tactic. In trying to create a compact midblock and there used to be "defend narrow" team instruction before. Same with "mark tighter". Well "mark tighter" is now set through individual instruction which is fine. I did that on my defenders and the more defensive midfielders. But am I right to assume that "trap inside - funnel ball into middle" instruction is the new defend narrow instruction? Or do we just need to set it individually on all the fullbacks like with marking instruction? 

Edited by crusadertsar

5 dakika önce, crusadertsar said:

I was actually wondering about the same thing in  my attempt to create Mourinho's Porto inspired narrow tactic. In trying to create a compact midblock, there used to be "defend narrow" team instruction before. Same with "mark tighter". Well "mark tighter" is now set through individual instruction which is fine. I did that on my defenders and the more defensive midfielders. But am I right to assume that "channel ball into middle" instruction is the new defend narrow instruction? Or do we just need to set it individually on all the fullbacks like with marking instruction? 

I don't have FM23, mate. It looks like the old Defend Wider instruction that I wouldn't use unless I play a three-back and two DM system. Maybe it's TI "Defend Crosses"

Edited by frukox

2 minutes ago, frukox said:

I don't have FM23, mate. It looks like the old Defend Wider instruction that I wouldn't use unless I play a three-back and two DM system.

Yeah thats what I thought. There is also "invite crosses" option which sounds like it could be more what I need. Asking the defenders to stay more central and defend central in front of the goal. Tight and compact.

On a side note, I am really liking how 4-4-2 narrow diamond works in FM23. Its abolutely killing it! Just faced two teams with one man down and still managed to crush them with 4-5 goal difference

Edited by crusadertsar

44 dakika önce, crusadertsar said:

Yeah thats what I thought. There is also "invite crosses" option which sounds like it could be more what I need. Asking the defenders to stay more central and defend central in front of the goal. Tight and compact

So Invite Crosses it is for FM 23. 

Edited by frukox