FM23 - Striker not being involved enough

I would like to receive some suggestions in getting my striker to be involved more in the game. I'm overall not doing all that bad, but the striker hardly gets the ball, nevermind a shot on goal.

My current tactic is as follows:

87ecbca7deb7cb66f78627b2bee4f2b2.png

I've tried to include more supporting wing backs, but i become vulnerable defensively when i do that. I expected more chance creation from the MEZ, IW and W in combination with the work ball into box instruction.

My current striker is:

d7bec9d3e7fb4b2452c2ba55743d4ed6.png

He averages about 10 - 30 passes in a game, with only a few shots in most games as well.

9cc518b29e2cfa8591cced522cd9db0b.png

This was my last game, which triggered me to open this thread, I won 3-0, but no involvement of striker whatsoever:

77cff0eb2d30048601ebfe28a5d48b2d.png

Any suggestions?

Edited by diLLa88

Three players behind him are on attack duty. They're going to take chances themselves rather than set up your striker. Behind them, all bar one player are on defend duties. The poor guy is totally isolated from his team-mates!

Edited by phnompenhandy

The 9 tends to get the ball less in this match engine, but an AF should still score a lot. Try giving the cms and wingers shoot less often and take more risks instructions, this worked very well in fm22.

If you want more link up play use a false 9.

To generally improve this tactic and create more chances, use more attacking fullbacks, I'd start with wb(s) or maybe iwb(s) depending on the shape you want in possession.

• SI Staff

hi @diLLa88

There's rarely ever a one size fits/solves approach but hopefully some of this information will help.

In FM23 the 2 CM's when selected with a CDM behind them, will now position themselves much higher then previously in FM with advanced roles ( Think Bernardo Silva & Kevin De Bruyne ).

On your left wide you have a WB-D, along with then 2 roles that are going to end up in almost the same space in possession. I would wager in your attacks when you're building up possession you have no width on the left at the moment which forces your team to play down the right or direct in behind. The IW will position themselves narrower and earlier then a IF or W and look to occupy something closer to a half space which is also where your Mezzala is roughly going to be. Often they are probably blocked by the same screening opposing midfield players. However if you do get the ball to them, you probably are getting the odd overload where the RB has 2 people to deal with in the same space which is up to you if this is what you're looking to achieve from a tactical perspective!

You could look to change the LB role to something more adventurous ( WB-S or WB-A ) as a start point if you're happy with the rest of the tactic and see how differently your chances are created from there. But I would play some matches with comprehensive highlights and see what kind of chances you are creating on the left side to start with and tweak from there.

Hope it goes well for you in your tactical tweaks!

Jack

45 minutes ago, Jack Sarahs said:

hi @diLLa88

There's rarely ever a one size fits/solves approach but hopefully some of this information will help.

In FM23 the 2 CM's when selected with a CDM behind them, will now position themselves much higher then previously in FM with advanced roles ( Think Bernardo Silva & Kevin De Bruyne ).

On your left wide you have a WB-D, along with then 2 roles that are going to end up in almost the same space in possession. I would wager in your attacks when you're building up possession you have no width on the left at the moment which forces your team to play down the right or direct in behind. The IW will position themselves narrower and earlier then a IF or W and look to occupy something closer to a half space which is also where your Mezzala is roughly going to be. Often they are probably blocked by the same screening opposing midfield players. However if you do get the ball to them, you probably are getting the odd overload where the RB has 2 people to deal with in the same space which is up to you if this is what you're looking to achieve from a tactical perspective!

You could look to change the LB role to something more adventurous ( WB-S or WB-A ) as a start point if you're happy with the rest of the tactic and see how differently your chances are created from there. But I would play some matches with comprehensive highlights and see what kind of chances you are creating on the left side to start with and tweak from there.

Jack

I've noticed a lot of combinations between the mezzala and the IW where the IW or mezzala goes on to shoot from outside the box quite a bit, with little attempt to ever reach the striker.

I've noticed better flowing attacks using more adventureous wing backs, but then i tend to get countered so much with long balls over the top and through balls over the wings that I eventually ended up doing this to create some stability in defense.

@chewbaccaloveaddiction I already had those PI's for the CM's, but not yet for the IW, i'll try adding that. Both the MEZ and IW however do have the killer balls PI, but I rarely actually see them try it.

I've made the following adjustments:

• Switched IW(a) to IW(s)
  • More risks and less shots for the IW
  • put left back on support instead of defense

Will see how it goes.

I want to avoid using a more supportive striker role, cause I need someone to score the goals and I would very much like my striker to be that.

Il y a 2 heures, Jack Sarahs a dit :

hi @diLLa88

Jack

Why does a IW position himself narrower and earlier than an inside forward? I always thought the opposite since an inside forward is more focused on scoring goals and therefore more likely to be closer to the box

5 hours ago, diLLa88 said:

I've noticed a lot of combinations between the mezzala and the IW where the IW or mezzala goes on to shoot from outside the box quite a bit, with little attempt to ever reach the striker.

I've noticed better flowing attacks using more adventureous wing backs, but then i tend to get countered so much with long balls over the top and through balls over the wings that I eventually ended up doing this to create some stability in defense.

@chewbaccaloveaddiction I already had those PI's for the CM's, but not yet for the IW, i'll try adding that. Both the MEZ and IW however do have the killer balls PI, but I rarely actually see them try it.

I've made the following adjustments:

• Switched IW(a) to IW(s)
  • More risks and less shots for the IW
  • put left back on support instead of defense

Will see how it goes.

I want to avoid using a more supportive striker role, cause I need someone to score the goals and I would very much like my striker to be that.

I really like IF and IW on attack in this match engine and they should be fine with shoot less often. One last tweak I would try is a cm(a) instead of the mez(a) to position them closer to the AF.

What PI do you use for the AF? In FM22 dribble more and take more risks worked very well, might be worth a try. I suggested the F9, because it got more pass combinations than the AF in my (limited) tests, but keep the AF it's better it you want to score goals. Good luck

12 hours ago, chewbaccaloveaddiction said:

I really like IF and IW on attack in this match engine and they should be fine with shoot less often. One last tweak I would try is a cm(a) instead of the mez(a) to position them closer to the AF.

What PI do you use for the AF? In FM22 dribble more and take more risks worked very well, might be worth a try. I suggested the F9, because it got more pass combinations than the AF in my (limited) tests, but keep the AF it's better it you want to score goals. Good luck

Currently no PI for the AF as it was mostly a case of the ball never reaching the AF and not so much what he would do with it.

I managed to fix it for now with the following setup:

64d84a4ab57dcf5f751d59aafb182bfc.png

These were Milanovic's last 3 games:

ee5debc998916fbcad361cd143d9b420.png

Much more support for the striker with players playing much closer to him:

a84847e9529c44e5fad14e1d8d8d5bf1.png